Did You/Are You Switching Cruise Lines Because of HAL's Smoking Policies?

sail7seas

We have just returned from Oceania's Riviera to the Black Sea after our 11 last cruises on HAL. We were on this partly because having cancelled Odessa and Yalta the cruise had the other Black Sea ports that we wanted to visit, partly because DH has wanted to try another cruise line and Oceania was top of the list as I don't like smaller ships but quite fancied the size of Marina and Riviera which are comparable to the R class ships of HAL and partly because it was a very good deal.

I was slightly concerned because I have always felt that if we tried a more upmarket ship we might like it too much!!!

Well we did like it very much. A beautiful ship and a crew of 800 to 1240 passengers it felt like we had arrived in an upmarket five star hotel. The food was good and I have no doubt that they spend more on it as the quality and cuts of meat/fish were excellent. Lobster abounded, in fact you could get lobster and fillet steak each evening in the Terrace and Waves - the deck restaurant even had surf and turf on ciabatta. We don't actually like lobster very much and we had the feeling that HAL menus were perhaps more us. The terrace (lido) restaurant was very good - more like a proper restaurant with waiters serving all drinks and often carrying the plates of the fit and healthy. In my case with a stick I always had my plate carried, in fact at the counter when food was served (always served) I would turn around and there would be someone standing behind me to help. They often offered to get my food. Waves - was set out as an eating place all in one area. The tables were properly set with mats, linen serviettes and glasses and the same thing applied there. Burgers were black angus beef.

There were lots of quiet places to sit, and on the pool deck I was impressed with the mattresses on the sunbeds and the white towelling covers which were removed for washing every day.

Embarkation and disembarkation - well I feel they could learn a lot from HAL!!

The three things I would say for anyone considering Oceania - the excursions are very, very expensive - eye wateringly so, the drinks are also expensive and the internet exhorbitant.

For us this was fine - we were in Europe where we do not tend to do excursions, we use our mobile phone to text family (where I would take my laptop elsewhere) and because I am on extra strong tablets alcohol is out. Non drinkers are well provided for - all included. In addition to the speciality coffees including iced cappuccino, sodas, all fruit juice and non alc punch they do an excellent line in smoothies and milk shakes and also have three mocktails which are complementary. You can also have alcohol in your cabin.

So we enjoyed it but what of the future. There are pros and cons. We would really like a balcony these days but the cost of a veranda on R and S class ships is actually dearer than on an offer with Oceania. That said at the end of 10 days we were ready to come home - perhaps too much luxury. We can stay happily in my case, 30 to 35 days on HAL. So we may go on Oceania again for a short trip to Europe but for longer trips will almost certainly be with HAL. A good job as we are booked for 22 nights, Melbourne to Singapore in November! It is just that we now have two favourite cruiselines.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

this should be a thread of it's own:D

I know a lot will miss it in this thread and I think they would be interested in your review.

thanks for the great report

That said at the end of 10 days we were ready to come home - perhaps too much luxury. We can stay happily in my case, 30 to 35 days on HAL. ........

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

How can there ever be too much luxury??? :eek: You don't have to eat lobster every night or quality beef, but it's nice to have them available when you want them! ;)

It sure seems like the poster who just sailed on Oceania confirmed that those that can afford it have many choices of cruise lines.

Based on this, if balcony smoking bothers some of the posters so much, you may like the poster try other cruise lines. You may find that you like them just as much as Holland America and the issue you have with balcony smoking will be solved.

Just a thought from someone that is neutral on the issue that will sail on Holland America in any case.

soccer

It sure seems like the poster who just sailed on Oceania confirmed that those that can afford it have many choices of cruise lines.

Based on this, if balcony smoking bothers some of the posters so much, you may like the poster try other cruise lines. You may find that you like them just as much as Holland America and the issue you have with balcony smoking will be solved.

Just a thought from someone that is neutral on the issue that will sail on Holland America in any case.

soccer

That's just another way of saying to you "cruise on another line" in spite of the fact that you like the itineraries, HAL ships, and have built up a loyalty standing. So no, that's not something that should be suggested, whichever side of this argument you may be on.

soccer

Based on this and past posts, we clearly don't share a common understanding of the word "neutral". :rolleyes:

That's just another way of saying to you "cruise on another line" in spite of the fact that you like the itineraries, HAL ships, and have built up a loyalty standing. So no, that's not something that should be suggested, whichever side of this argument you may be on.

The original question was would you consider switching cruise lines and the poster who sailed Oceania said they enjoyed his or her cruise on Oceania.

Everyone is free to make thier own choices based on various reasons. Smoking on balconies doesn't determine if I sail on a particular cruise line, but for some it does.

soccer

Based on this and past posts, we clearly don't share a common understanding of the word "neutral". :rolleyes:

Neutral means smoking on balconies doesn't bother me one way or another. Everyone is free to make thier own choices.

I am a non-smoker.

soccer

Neutral means smoking on balconies doesn't bother me one way or another. Everyone is free to make thier own choices.

I am a non-smoker.

soccer

Suggesting that people who don't like second-hand smoke when trying to enjoy their balconies try other lines is hardly taking a neutral position. :rolleyes:

Suggesting that people who don't like second-hand smoke when trying to enjoy their balconies try other lines is hardly taking a neutral position. :rolleyes:

I am neutral on the whole thing. It was the poster that cruised on Oceania that she enjoyed her cruise on Oceania. Everyone can make thier own choices. I am neutral on the whole issue.

I think we have to agree to disagree about my intent.

soccer

soccer

Yes, that just like suggesting smokers go to an all inclusive, stay at a hotel, take a road trip or stay at home.

I am neutral on the whole thing. It was the poster that cruised on Oceania that she enjoyed her cruise on Oceania. Everyone can make thier own choices. I am neutral on the whole issue.

I think we have to agree to disagree about my intent.

soccer

You keep claiming to be neutral, but your posts suggest otherwise. For example, it was you, not the Oceania poster, who wrote:

Based on this, if balcony smoking bothers some of the posters so much, you may like the poster try other cruise lines.

As I said previously, we clearly don't have a common understanding of the meaning of the word "neutral". If you can't see that your suggestion that people bothered by smoke go elsewhere isn't neutral, no amount of persuasion on my part will change your mind. Simply claiming to be neutral just doesn't make it so.

The original question was would you consider switching cruise lines and the poster who sailed Oceania said they enjoyed his or her cruise on Oceania.

Everyone is free to make thier own choices based on various reasons. Smoking on balconies doesn't determine if I sail on a particular cruise line, but for some it does.

soccer

Speaking only for myself, this is what I 'hear' when I read this.

Poster is saying to me that despite having sailed over 80 cruises on HAL, having just recently become a widow, I should leave the cruise line I know so well, feel comfortable on, know so many crew and Officers and go off on my own to a strange cruise line where I know no one and have no familiarity with how the cruise line operates.

I don't know other ships as it's been so long since we sailed other than HAL. What I 'hear' reading this is 'get out of the way and leave' because you are an annoyance to those who wish to smoke. If their smoking makes it impossible for many non-smokers to enjoy their verandah. Perhaps my hearing is faulty or different than others' but that is the message that processed through my mind.

My choice is to continue sailing HAL and to continue, at every possible opportunity, to encourage HAL to once and for all ban verandah smoking.

It's all I'll be able to do to cross another gangway without my DH with me but to tell me to go elsewhere is out of the question. Can't do it.

Sail and others,

I am sorry you feel that every time I post something that is intended for you specifically. It is not, I am neutral on the issue myself. It sounds like you are going to continue to sail on Holland America and that is great.

Since smoking is currently permitted on balconies, my suggestion is to advise Holland America that you would like it to end. Once you have done this, that is pretty much the end of it.

If Holland America changes the rules, that is great. I am neutral on the issue myself.

However, it really isn't fair to those who disagree with you on this issue to continually post your feelings on it. I think the idea of a sticky sounds great with everyone making thier point once and then let it go. I don't see the point in repeating the same thing over and over again. We understand your position and respect it.

I hope you enjoy many years of sailing on Holland America ships. I hope you wish the same to us that are neutral on the issue as well.

soccer

Yes, that just like suggesting smokers go to an all inclusive, stay at a hotel, take a road trip or stay at home.

I have to admit that I still don't really understand the bad feelings that the other poster's statement seems to cause for some.

I learned not to say it because it gets folks on this board upset. But as someone who is also pretty "neutral" -- both about lines and about smoking -- it seems like a reasonable suggestion that if someone is majorly unhappy about something on a particular line, and there are other, similar lines that do not have that "thing" which is upsetting, that one should consider it.

I guess I don't have warm fuzzy feelings for any cruise line. They are businesses, and if I don't like what they offer, I will consider patronizing a different one.

P.S. I sure hope, if balcony smoking is eventually banned, and someone who is a smoker posts about wanting HAL to reconsider, that the nonsmokers won't tell him or her to consider another line or an all-inclusive or etc. !!! :cool:

I have to admit that I still don't really understand the bad feelings that the other poster's statement seems to cause for some.

I learned not to say it because it gets folks on this board upset. But as someone who is also pretty "neutral" -- both about lines and about smoking -- it seems like a reasonable suggestion that if someone is majorly unhappy about something on a particular line, and there are other, similar lines that do not have that "thing" which is upsetting, that one should consider it.

I guess I don't have warm fuzzy feelings for any cruise line. They are businesses, and if I don't like what they offer, I will consider patronizing a different one.

P.S. I sure hope, if balcony smoking is eventually banned, and someone who is a smoker posts about wanting HAL to reconsider, that the nonsmokers won't tell him or her to consider another line or an all-inclusive or etc. !!! :cool:

I begged smokers to stop saying to go elsewhere and they don't so now I join the crowd in saying the same thing. I just want them to see how it feels. That's great that you don't care for one cruise line over another. My favorite is Hal but I will in the near term cruise with Princess because I'm getting tired of the smoke. I have been fighting lung problems since March and I'm fed up with second hand smoke. I'm quite confident that this will be the last full year Hal will have smoking on balconies. I can't wait for it to end.

Sail and others,

I am sorry you feel that every time I post something that is intended for you specifically. It is not, I am neutral on the issue myself. It sounds like you are going to continue to sail on Holland America and that is great.

Since smoking is currently permitted on balconies, my suggestion is to advise Holland America that you would like it to end. Once you have done this, that is pretty much the end of it.

If Holland America changes the rules, that is great. I am neutral on the issue myself.

However, it really isn't fair to those who disagree with you on this issue to continually post your feelings on it. I think the idea of a sticky sounds great with everyone making thier point once and then let it go. I don't see the point in repeating the same thing over and over again. We understand your position and respect it.

I hope you enjoy many years of sailing on Holland America ships. I hope you wish the same to us that are neutral on the issue as well.

soccer

I will not quit mentioning to Hal that I hope that they end balcony smoking until they do. If you had it your way we'd be smoking in planes, restaurants, workplaces etc. While you may not smoke I'm quite sure that someone that is close to you does. No one fights this hard if they don't have a dog in the fight.

I begged smokers to stop saying to go elsewhere and they don't so now I join the crowd in saying the same thing. I just want them to see how it feels. That's great that you don't care for one cruise line over another. My favorite is Hal but I will in the near term cruise with Princess because I'm getting tired of the smoke. I have been fighting lung problems since March and I'm fed up with second hand smoke. I'm quite confident that this will be the last full year Hal will have smoking on balconies. I can't wait for it to end.

But I am a non-smoker, so what is the issue? I am totally neutral on the whole issue.

soccer

Sail and others,

soccer

I don't think your posts are intended specifically for me.

I feel every post on this and all forums is intended for ALL who read that forum. Nothing special about me that I should think you are addressing me and no reason for you to 'feel sorry'.

That's the thing....... :D

I DO have warm fuzzy feelings for HAL. :)

Please do not tell me all the reasons I should not. :D

But I am a non-smoker, so what is the issue? I am totally neutral on the whole issue.

soccer

The issue is you are not neutral. You tell non smokers to go elsewhere. To be very honest with you, the more posts I see of this nature the more fire it puts in my belly to push for change.

And that's the problem. Clearly, some folks don't understand that folks have a strong connection to a cruiseline. While I do cruise Princess, Hal feels like home to me. I've had a ton of changes in my life this year and I can't say at this point that they are pleasant. It's nice to have something where there is comfort.

The issue is you are not neutral. You tell non smokers to go elsewhere. To be very honest with you, the more posts I see of this nature the more fire it puts in my belly to push for change.

I haven't told anyone to go elsewhere.

I said everyone should make thier own choices after a poster that cruised Oceania posted her experience on Oceania on this thread.

There can't be a more neutral position than that. Again, I don't smoke, I am a non-smoker. I am absolutely neutral on the issue myself.

I think we need to agree to disagree in any case.

soccer

That is fine, continue to sail on Holland America. No one is telling you not to. Again, please let Holland America know how you feel about smoking on balconies and then let that be the end of it. Telling others how to feel about the issue isn't really fair.

We all want you and others to cruise on the cruise line of their choice.

soccer

I agree with you that it is perfectly logical to suggest that if someone is so bothered by smoking on balconies that it'll ruin a cruise that person should examine other cruise lines and/or other vacation types. That someone has decided not to pursue those choices doesn't make the suggestion any less logical.

After all, when someone posts a HAL review here and says, "I wasn't happy on HAL so I'm going back to <fill in cruise line here>, many say, "Isn't it nice that we all have choices." They don't say, "You should let HAL know, over and over, that they need to change the policies that you don't like."