Did You/Are You Switching Cruise Lines Because of HAL's Smoking Policies?

sail7seas

We will still sail HAL but have begun sailing other lines. Smoking is part of the reason. I am afraid smoking will get much worse as fewer lines allow it in as many places as HAL.

That's my fear. The lido deck is about to resemble the outside entrance to my downtown building: a cloud you have to hold your breath and run through.

One always has to be careful what they wish for. Sometimes the consequences are worse than the original problem. ;)

I can avoid second hand smoke at Lido pool but the only way to avoid smokers on either side of my verandah is to give up all use of it.

And please, don't once again tell me to sail other cruise lines. After 80+ cruises and now sailing solo, it isn't reasonable or practical to tell me to go away. I continue at every opportunity to urge HAL to change their policy.

As data intrigues me I’ve spend a foolish amount of time collecting it on the two current “smoking” threads, one started by legalslave and the other by sail7seas. Since I’ve decided I need to move on to other responsibilities I cut my data collection off at 940am today. So as not to imply any bias I’m not about to come to any conclusions or develop any assumption from this data and will leave it up to you to form your own opinions.

Please don’t shoot the messengers as I’m only reporting the data.

Legalslave’s thread “I will continue to sail on HAL if balcony smoking is permitted.”

84 individual CC members responded.

Of those 73 responded with YES, 3 responded with NO, and 8 were unresponsive to the OP choosing to use their post for personal agendas.

Of those 73 who responded with YES 38 stated they were nonsmokers and had never been bothered by smoke of their veranda.

sail7seas thread asked three separate questions and I have broken the data down under each one of those.

89 individual CC responders

19 of the responders were unresponsive to all of Sail’s questions

“Have you or are you planning to switch to HAL because you can no longer smoke on your favorite cruise line's verandah?”

6 yes responses

1 Maybe will switch to HAL for reasons other than smoking

”Have you or are you planning to switch cruise lines because you do not like that HAL continues to permit smoking on verandahs?”

12 yes responses – Of those 12 responses 4 clearly stated their reason had nothing to do with smoking

3 said Maybe out of which 2 stated for reasons other than smoking

48 No responses out of which 15 stated then were nonsmokers never bothered by smoke

”Do you have friends or family who are doing one or the other?”

Only 1 responder (counted in the NO responses immediately above) said yes they had friends switching to HAL because of the smoking policy

Thank you larsen. Interesting results given the drama in most smoking threads.

Sail--I am among the people who will say that if smoking on balconies bothers you that much, then consider doing something else. Understand that when I say that I am not directing it at you personally. I know that there are long term very loyal HAL cruisers who find such joy and comfort with the product that to change is not something they would do. My statements are directed at people who are not that committed to HAL or cruising in general.

We did move on from HAL, and found Celebrity not exactly our cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't a good fit. We tried an upscale AI, again, not for us. We then discovered an out of the way location in Fla where we rent a beach house, toes in the sand for a month for less than a 12 day cruise. For now it fits, but we're waiting for the policy to change so that we can go back to sea.

So please do not take the suggestions about looking elsewhere personally, in my case it is not meant that way.

That's my fear. The lido deck is about to resemble the outside entrance to my downtown building: a cloud you have to hold your breath and run through.

I don't see how it can be much worse than some of the smoke I've experienced on my balcony. I know that some haven't experienced that but it doesn't mean it's not true. I've sailed both Celebrity and Princess since they have had no smoking on balconies and have never been subjected to a wave of smoke on a ship that I have have experienced on my balcony. IMO, it's a total red herring.

When we are considering cruises, itinerary and timing are the key considerations. We've sailed HAL, Princess and Celebrity. We have even taken a couple of cruises on NCL's smaller ships (in their great suites) and were pleasantly surprised. We especially enjoy the multiple alternative dining venues on NCL.

We don't limit ourselves to one cruise line. Our last cruise was on HAL, and our next cruise is on Princess.

We're also starting to take a close look at Oceana.

Thank you larsen. Interesting results given the drama in most smoking threads.

Sail--I am among the people who will say that if smoking on balconies bothers you that much, then consider doing something else. Understand that when I say that I am not directing it at you personally. I know that there are long term very loyal HAL cruisers who find such joy and comfort with the product that to change is not something they would do. My statements are directed at people who are not that committed to HAL or cruising in general.

We did move on from HAL, and found Celebrity not exactly our cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't a good fit. We tried an upscale AI, again, not for us. We then discovered an out of the way location in Fla where we rent a beach house, toes in the sand for a month for less than a 12 day cruise. For now it fits, but we're waiting for the policy to change so that we can go back to sea.

So please do not take the suggestions about looking elsewhere personally, in my case it is not meant that way.

Mountainmare,

I take absolutely no offense and understand your point.

I have recently been widowed. It is out of the question I can start fresh on a new cruise line solo. DH and I cruised over 80 cruises with HAL. It will take all my strength to board an HAL ship without him let alone go elsewhere to a ship where I will not know their routine, their methods or any of their crew.

When I go to HAL ships, I am 'coming home'. We have sailed all of HAL ships but for Prinsendam, , most of them multiple times. That familiarity is critical to me now if I am to continue sailing.

Mountainmare,

I have recently been widowed. It is out of the question I can start fresh on a new cruise line solo. DH and I cruised over 80 cruises with HAL. It will take all my strength to board an HAL ship without him let alone go elsewhere to a ship where I will not know their routine, their methods or any of their crew.

When I go to HAL ships, I am 'coming home'. We have sailed all of HAL ships but for Prinsendam, , most of them multiple times. That familiarity is critical to me now if I am to continue sailing.

Most understandable, and I certainly respect your decision. I hope you are able to return to, and enjoy, a HAL cruise soon. :)

Mountainmare,

Though I do not know you, I offer my condolences on your loss.

I understand what you mean about feeling "at home" on HAL. We have only sailed once on HAL, but feel the same way.

Perhaps at some point you could start to interview for sailing companions. I would be happy to put in an application... and based on the positive comments on this thread, I imagine quite a few others might want to, too.

Most understandable, and I certainly respect your decision. I hope you are able to return to, and enjoy, a HAL cruise soon. :)

Though I do not know you, I offer my condolences on your loss.

I understand what you mean about feeling "at home" on HAL. We have only sailed once on HAL, but feel the same way.

Perhaps at some point you could start to interview for sailing companions. I would be happy to put in an application... and based on the positive comments on this thread, I imagine quite a few others might want to, too.

Thank you for your nice messages.

They are greatly appreciated. :)

We will now consider booking a balcony cabin on HAL. We usually didn't because we never knew whether we'd get full use of our balcony or if we'd be driven inside due to a neighbor's drifting smoke.

We will now consider booking a balcony cabin on HAL. We usually didn't because we never knew whether we'd get full use of our balcony or if we'd be driven inside due to a neighbor's drifting smoke.

Geoherb,

I think you may have misunderstood.

HAL is one of the very few cruise lines that has NOT banned smoking on verandahs. You are still at risk of losing use of your verandah if you should have second hand smoke from neighbors. :(

Sail: Pick ME... ME.... ME..... MEEEEEEE!!!

Sail: Pick ME... ME.... ME..... MEEEEEEE!!!

YOU are the BEST!!! You always make me smile. :D

Of course, I pick YOU!!!! :D

Now, you best discuss that with DW. ;)

YOU are the BEST!!! You always make me smile. :D

Of course, I pick YOU!!!! :D

Now, you best discuss that with DW. ;)

She'd love that... she's always wanted to meet the second most perfect woman in the world!

Even though we are 4 star mariners our 2015 Noordam cruise will be our last on HAL. The only reason we are going on that one is we had a booking deposit we needed to use before it expired. HAL's insistence on allowing smoking on the balconies is the final deal breaker after the various service and quality deficiencies that have occurred.

Our first HAL cruise was in 1988 and it was terrific even though we had a cabin at the waterline with two bunk beds. The service and food was over the top. We were hooked big time. It was five years before we could afford to cruise again, but we have taken a HAL cruise almost every year (sometimes two) since.

Best to all.

Even though we are 4 star mariners our 2015 Noordam cruise will be our last on HAL. The only reason we are going on that one is we had a booking deposit we needed to use before it expired. HAL's insistence on allowing smoking on the balconies is the final deal breaker after the various service and quality deficiencies that have occurred.

Our first HAL cruise was in 1988 and it was terrific even though we had a cabin at the waterline with two bunk beds. The service and food was over the top. We were hooked big time. It was five years before we could afford to cruise again, but we have taken a HAL cruise almost every year (sometimes two) since.

Best to all.

No, I'm not switching cruise lines, I really like HAL

No, even though HAL allows balcony smoking I will continue to book balcony staterooms on HAL

My family cruise HAL, Princess and P&O and go for itinerary and price when making their decision - balcony smoking is a non issue in the decision making process.

Dear 'sail7seas' – hello all

I'm one of those who did recently switch the cruise line…

In my case not because I'm dissatisfied with its HAL cruise vessels or on-board services ;

- but for all those exorbitant entry hassles as a non US citizen :mad: for a cruise begin at Fort Lauderdale

- meanwhile for the expensive supplement while flying transatlantic with a larger number of luggage's

- and finally because of the indeed costly HAL single cabin occupancy surcharge … :(

It was since long, long time my desire to do a world cruise, and because next summer I retire, the 2015/2016 is my one :)

So my adventure I did book with 'Phoenix Cruises' on its 'MS Artania' - 140 days around the globe from / to Genoa, Italy - a verandah cabin on a top-level deck

I will be certainly back for other HAL cruises, but probably for only European destinations

Regards GERD

Dear 'sail7seas' – hello all

I'm one of those who did recently switch the cruise line…

In my case not because I'm dissatisfied with its HAL cruise vessels or on-board services ;

- but for all those exorbitant entry hassles as a non US citizen :mad: for a cruise begin at Fort Lauderdale

- meanwhile for the expensive supplement while flying transatlantic with a larger number of luggage's

- and finally because of the indeed costly HAL single cabin occupancy surcharge … :(

It was since long, long time my desire to do a world cruise, and because next summer I retire, the 2015/2016 is my one :)

So my adventure I did book with 'Phoenix Cruises' on its 'MS Artania' - 140 days around the globe from / to Genoa, Italy - a verandah cabin on a top-level deck

I will be certainly back for other HAL cruises, but probably for only European destinations

Regards GERD

Gerd,

Thanks for sharing with us.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and the very best wishes for a long and happy retirement filled with lots of cruises. :)

What a wonderful adventure you have planned. Look forward to it happily.

In response to the OP's question: Have you or are you planning to switch cruise lines because you do not like that HAL continues to permit smoking on verandas?

One cruise on HAL was enough for us as the passengers on the two downwind balconies were heavy smokers and this significantly limited our enjoyment of the veranda. We switched to Oceania who have limited smoking but manage to accommodate smokers and enjoyed every smoke-free day.

Neither of us is allergic nor do we have asthma or any other respiratory problem. We simply find second hand smoke offensive and will not support HAL's business plan based on permitting (it is a permission, not a right) an activity that is both a health and a fire risk.

We would consider HAL again if they adopted the same or similar smoking rules as Oceania.

I'm kind of late seeing this thread, but I'll still offer my thoughts. I cant really answer any of the actual questions as they are worded because I have been cruising on HAL for a while now.

I have been disappointed in decline of service on HAL for a the last several cruises and seriously considered other lines. But, three things have kept me with HAL. 1) The Itineraries. 2) The reasonable price of the Neptune suites, which I feel are perfect for us. 3) The fact that I can smoke on my verandah.

I suppose there are other factors, but those are the big three. So, what will I do when HAL becomes the last cruise line to ban smoking? I will probably stop cruising altogether and do other things with my recreational time and money. There are a lot of options.

Doesn't Costa still permit smoking on verandahs?