Trying to find out everything you all know about the Sun

griz400

Probably already been mentioned but I'm too lazy to read all the posts in this thread :rolleyes: The Sun (at least in 2011) had great made to order dessert crepes on the buffet. You could have apple, cherry etc. filling then they had toppings like chocolate sauce, caramel etc. and whipped crème. Apples with caramel, ice cream (from the ice cream place next door) and whipped cream with some nuts on top. Better than most of the other desserts in my opinion.

If you are lucky enough to be in a suite, make sure your butler is Randy, I swear he can read your mind, we never went without anything, he was very courteous and non intrusive, I will book a cruise again just to have this guy around

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

What suites did he take care of, do you know?

I booked thru a large online cruise discounter TA. I kept track of the prices and when it dropped, contacted my TA Rep and asked about an upgrade. He put me on hold and then told me he could upgrade me from inside to oceanview (partially obstructed) no additional fee, I said fine. BTW the "partial obstruction was nothing in my mind. Deck 6 Promenade deck with the running track and our 3ft wide porthole lined up perfectly with the center of the larger oval opening outboard of the open deck/track area.

Do you remember which cabin you were in??

Ok, we now have room 8114 on the viking deck, here is a pic of the deck plans ... Just curious as what is the area marked OPEN TO DECKS BELOW ???

http://www.cruisecritic.com/norwegian-sun-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=177&deck=9

i see that the x is elevators, and the lines i presume are steps, looked around and cant figure what that area is :)

Ok, we now have room 8114 on the viking deck, here is a pic of the deck plans ... Just curious as what is the area marked OPEN TO DECKS BELOW ???

i see that the x is elevators, and the lines i presume are steps, looked around and cant figure what that area is :)

I am in cabin 8318 on the other side. The open area is the main Atrium as it extends upward to the higher floors.

We are on the same cruise as buccaneer. How do you get an upgrade? Do you have to request one (if available). We booked thru a T.A. Does that matter - do we notify her that we want an upgrade? We currently have a midship inside on Deck 8 but would gladly take an outside for an upgrade - even an obstructed view. Thanks

Join the roll call for November 9 th .. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1970116

mitsugirly is organizing a meet and greet .... :)

Edited by griz400

Champagne Bar and passenger walking area.

Thanks. I got upgraded to Obstructed OV 6006 so I'll have to wait and see what the view up there is like. :)

You should be good. That cabin is directly opposite the one we had on the ship. We were Starboard outboard and that is Port outboard. Outside your window will be the walking area/jogging track and very large oval openings that look out off the ship. There are no lifeboats or other such objects in that area.

I included a picture of our cabin. The porthole is quite large, I'd say fully 3ft diameter.

1990250044_039Day3-Stateroom.jpg.f5a5f175b0935d6a99a7ecbd47b910df.jpg

Edited by QuiGonJohn

I am sailing on the sun in November and just got a free upgrade to an ocean view. Does anyone know if cabin 4229 is obstructed or not?

Not. Only cabins on 6 are.

Out to sea! I believe 6006 is looking out onto the promenade. There are openings in the 'railing' area that allow you to see the ocean though. Great room for the price. We originally had 6001 and upgraded when all four sisters could go. I also think that those cabins are set up just like a balcony room just without the balcony - lots of space!

Edited by medicalma'am
spelling

We are booked in 8116. I'd like an upgrade to an oceanview! How do we get one? We booked way back in May. Wouldn't the early bookers be asked first?

I am also concerned with what is in that "open to below" area. Wondering if it is the panoramic elevators. If so, will it be noisy?

We are booked in 8116. I'd like an upgrade to an oceanview! How do we get one? We booked way back in May. Wouldn't the early bookers be asked first?

I am also concerned with what is in that "open to below" area. Wondering if it is the panoramic elevators. If so, will it be noisy?

"Open To Below is the large open atrium amidships. There are glass elevators and it runs from deck 5 up to deck 11. On Deck 5, the atrium has Guest Services Desk, Excursion Desk, entrance to MDR Four Seasons, Cafe.

For upgrades, usually have to see price drop lower than you booked at, then call NCL or your agent. We booked inside at $419 pp in August 2013. In early August 2014 I saw that dip to $279 pp. Called agent and got upgrade to Oceanview (partially obstructed), but as you can see from my photo, no real obstruction

You should be good. That cabin is directly opposite the one we had on the ship. We were Starboard outboard and that is Port outboard. Outside your window will be the walking area/jogging track and very large oval openings that look out off the ship. There are no lifeboats or other such objects in that area.

I included a picture of our cabin. The porthole is quite large, I'd say fully 3ft diameter.

Holy cow! I never expected something that nice!! I'm used to the PTs on Carnival where you get 2x9 inch portholes. They are nice enough letting the natural sunlight in but this look really nice!. Thanks for the pic. :)

Not. Only cabins on 6 are.

Out to sea! I believe 6006 is looking out onto the promenade. There are openings in the 'railing' area that allow you to see the ocean though. Great room for the price. We originally had 6001 and upgraded when all four sisters could go. I also think that those cabins are set up just like a balcony room just without the balcony - lots of space!

Excellent.....glad to hear!

If you can get me a balcony upgrade at no charge I'll let you have mine! :D

Holy cow! I never expected something that nice!! I'm used to the PTs on Carnival where you get 2x9 inch portholes. They are nice enough letting the natural sunlight in but this look really nice!. Thanks for the pic. :)

Yes, right after I got the upgrade I looked up generic pics for the Sun, for partially obstructed oceanviews. The port holes seemed much smaller in those pics, and had lifeboats in the way, etc. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into out stateroom and saw a large 3 foot diameter window (porthole), looking right out across the walking deck and centered in line with the oval opening outboard of the walking deck.

QuiGonJohn:

3.5 laps on that walking/jogging track = a mile and my group always insisted

on doing 3 miles so 11 times around passing by your OV (very large) port hole

window - but never thinking or interested what was on the other side.

Further down the deck mid-ships the windows open into the Promenade interior

when the curtains were not pulled.

Our common starting point was always the furthest forward port side door

with interior elevator/ladder well (stairway) access and an out of the way

gathering area.

What was neat about this walking/jogging track except for the tunnel from

starboard forward to port forward the view of the ocean was uninhibited

except for those neat oval metal superstructure cut outs spaced here and

there all the way around to the aft of the ship and then back up the other side !

Best part of the walking/jogging track is that it is sheltered so unless there

is a horizontal monsoon it is a lark unlike other ships with the track topside

and bracing into the elements and much shorter requiring more laps.

Suitable for two-x-two partner walking side-x-side. A big Plus !

Excellent photo-op off the fan tail on this deck or most anywhere but the tunnel.

QuiGonJohn:

gathering area.

there all the way around to the aft of the ship and then back up the other side !

Excellent photo-op off the fan tail on this deck or most anywhere but the tunnel.

Good thing, I'd hate for your eyeballs to melt off your face if you saw me getting out of the shower! :eek:

QuiGonJohn:

gathering area.

On my last cruise the forward portion of the walking track, where the cabins are was closed from about 8pm to 7 or 8 am.

Good thing, I'd hate for your eyeballs to melt off your face if you saw me getting out of the shower! :eek:

Actually, we looked into our cabin from the outside and if you are just standing there, you could not really see in. We had to put our face against the glass and then I recognized items in the room so I knew for 100% that was our stateroom. I was probably 99% before I peered in. :D

We did this almost immediately after putting our stuff in the room.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

I am booked on her March 1,2015 sailing out of Tampa. Got the cabin I wanted above the bridge overlooking the bow and a quick walk to the pool. I prefer smaller ships so the Sun should do me fine if......if she is in good repair. If NCL is letting her really show her age...worn carpets, stained furniture, and rust...I would be disappointed.

Because I am sailing Getaway late Nov, will the Sun's age play an issue??????

I realize the two ships are totally different in their amenities, but the condition of the Sun has me wondering.

Any comments on her appearance?

I do not need much, a clean bed, a hot shower, some food, a good barman and friendly passengers. I am truly hoping I enjoy the Sun over the Getaway.

Another question.....how is the gym, steam and sauna. I am an early morning gym person...before breakfast. How is the gym equipment...in good repair?

Are the steam and sauna coed or separate for men and women? I find a steam to be a true luxury I can have at home. The gym rids me of the calories, the steam gets rid of the "beverages":D

Oh, are the specialty restaurants like Cagneys as good as on NCL's newer ships? Thinking about the premium dinning package......has anyone purchased it on the Sun? A pleasant experience or just so so?

Thanks

Tom

I am booked on her March 1,2015 sailing out of Tampa. Got the cabin I wanted above the bridge overlooking the bow and a quick walk to the pool. I prefer smaller ships so the Sun should do me fine if......if she is in good repair. If NCL is letting her really show her age...worn carpets, stained furniture, and rust...I would be disappointed.

Because I am sailing Getaway late Nov, will the Sun's age play an issue??????

I realize the two ships are totally different in their amenities, but the condition of the Sun has me wondering.

Any comments on her appearance?

I do not need much, a clean bed, a hot shower, some food, a good barman and friendly passengers. I am truly hoping I enjoy the Sun over the Getaway.

Another question.....how is the gym, steam and sauna. I am an early morning gym person...before breakfast. How is the gym equipment...in good repair?

Are the steam and sauna coed or separate for men and women? I find a steam to be a true luxury I can have at home. The gym rids me of the calories, the steam gets rid of the "beverages":D

Oh, are the specialty restaurants like Cagneys as good as on NCL's newer ships? Thinking about the premium dinning package......has anyone purchased it on the Sun? A pleasant experience or just so so?

Thanks

Tom

I never noticed any issues that made it seem like the ship was showing signs of wear. Everything looked great to me.

I never noticed any issues that made it seem like the ship was showing signs of wear. Everything looked great to me.

Ditto - sailed the NCL SUN 7/2013 and everything was in PRISTINE order.

Then again I am not Inspector General of ship inspections with white gloves !

Was in a Port side forward mini-suite (pool-deck 11) - could not have been

more happy with this sailing except they could have brought me FULL suite

amenities chocolate strawberries and stuff - Naw ! I said I was more happy !

There is too much of a good thing - not going to over do it ! Did I just comment

on that - well I got what I paid for and was satisfied !

No complaint ! Comment YES !