Trying to find out everything you all know about the Sun

griz400

Well, been thinkin, are there drink of the day specials on the Sun ???

Does anyone know like the price list, different drinks each day ??

Also, we remember from our first cruise, when we get off the ship at ports, there is a big clock that shows ship time, and we simply set watches to this ... Is the Sun the same ???

• 2 weeks later...

guess all the info is gone, there was a lot of real good posts and this thread was taking off, then it all stalled ...

still wondering about if the sun has drink of the day specials and if they are good, also if when you leave the ship on excursions, is there a clock there so you can synchro your watches to ship time ??

Since 9/11 no tours of engine room. Whether or not the Behind the Scenes tour includes the Bridge is up to the captain.

It would not hurt to pose the question to any senior cruise officer or the

Registration desk Purser/Concierge - casual inquiry.

Some ships; but not the NCL SUN, have viewing rooms behind the Bridge.

If you have Latitude status i.e. Platinum with may cruises arrangements

can usually be made but not guaranteed.

Galley tours usually are offered at some time during the cruise - maybe at

a time while the ship is in port for longer than normal port call.

Ask or check the Cruise ship Daily newspaper. No food sampling allowed

it will spoil or enhance your bon appetite !

Regarding that drink of the day - I don't remember much (maybe because

I had one too many) but that first sail away day the waiters are running all

over the place pushing some low yield alcohol fruity drink in a pretty keepsake

plastic vessel with a parasol for garnishment - something around 6 bucks.

guess all the info is gone, there was a lot of real good posts and this thread was taking off, then it all stalled ...

still wondering about if the sun has drink of the day specials and if they are good, also if when you leave the ship on excursions, is there a clock there so you can synchro your watches to ship time ??

We were on a 11day cruise in Feb/14 I just found my freestyle dailies and the drink of the day

Day 1. Sail Away Special Bon Voyage $7.25 with a souvenir cup to keep

Day 2 Blue Lagoon $6.95

Day 3 Tequila Sunrise $6.95 Martini of the day Going Coco Nuts

Day 4 The Painkiller $6.95. Martini of the day Citrus Gem

Day 5 Rebellious Fish $6.95 Martini of the day French Raspberry

Day 6 Daydreamers Daiquiri $6.95 Martini of the day Lemon Drop

Day 7 Tropical Passion $6.95 Martini of the day Rum Cake

Day 8 Blue Lagoon $6.95 Martini of the day French Raspberry

Day 9 Tequila Sunrise $6.95 Martini of the day Basil Cucumber Twist

Day 10 The Painkiller $6.95 Martini of the day Basil Cucumber Twist

Day 11 Cherry Lime Aid $6.95 Martini of the day Le Fizz

Martini started at $7.00 to $8.50

Hope this helps

Sometimes the Captain will extend a tour of the bridge to the Cruise Critic members at the Meet & Greet. Not always, but up to the discretion of the Captain. I've been on bridge tours of the Star, Jewel, and Pearl. On our last cruise, we went to the Chef's Table, and a galley tour is part of what you get with the meal; usually on the last sea day.

I know Platinum Latitudes members get behind-the-scenes tours, and I'm looking forward to becoming Platinum.

snowcones provided a detailed drink special list for you; there is always a drink-of-the-day special. On several cruises I've seen a Bloody Mary special for $4.95 every morning, they have a table set up in the buffet for these.

They used to have two-for-one martinis from 6:00- 8:00 in the Star Bar on the Pearl, Star, and Jewel, but those are gone. On our last cruise they had two-for $15.00 martinis during set hours in the Star Bar.

But the Sun doesn't have a Star Bar; I think the tapas bar might be the location for happy hour drink specials on the Sun.

All this information can be found in the Freestyle Dailies. You will receive one as you get on the ship, and your room steward will deliver the one for the following day to your stateroom at turn-down. That's why a lot of people bring colored markers, to highlight activities and information they wish to attend/know for the following day.

You might also be interested in a lot of the alcohol tastings they have on the ship: martini, mojito, margarita, wine, liquour, as well as beer. Again, read the Freestyle Dailies to find out which your sailing might be holding. I think these are welll-priced and worth attending.

I have also seen behind-the-scenes tours offered on my last two cruises. Even though they may not go to the engine room anymore, they are really worth the cost if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Happy Sailing

Edited by planma'am

Ok, now once NCL assigns your room, does it stay the same ?? For our November 9th sailing, we are assigned to a room on the Oslo deck, we were assigned a few days ago, from what we hear, they say its pretty quiet ... I know we can upgrade if we want to, but will it stay the same if we don't ??

Ok, now once NCL assigns your room, does it stay the same ?? For our November 9th sailing, we are assigned to a room on the Oslo deck, we were assigned a few days ago, from what we hear, they say its pretty quiet ... I know we can upgrade if we want to, but will it stay the same if we don't ??

They can change a guarantee room all the way up to day of sailing, but they usually don't once it's assigned.

Very high chance that will be your room.

We were on a 11day cruise in Feb/14 I just found my freestyle dailies and the drink of the day

Day 1. Sail Away Special Bon Voyage $7.25 with a souvenir cup to keep

Day 2 Blue Lagoon $6.95

Day 3 Tequila Sunrise $6.95 Martini of the day Going Coco Nuts

Day 4 The Painkiller $6.95. Martini of the day Citrus Gem

Day 5 Rebellious Fish $6.95 Martini of the day French Raspberry

Day 6 Daydreamers Daiquiri $6.95 Martini of the day Lemon Drop

Day 7 Tropical Passion $6.95 Martini of the day Rum Cake

Day 8 Blue Lagoon $6.95 Martini of the day French Raspberry

Day 9 Tequila Sunrise $6.95 Martini of the day Basil Cucumber Twist

Day 10 The Painkiller $6.95 Martini of the day Basil Cucumber Twist

Day 11 Cherry Lime Aid $6.95 Martini of the day Le Fizz

Martini started at $7.00 to $8.50

Hope this helps

Looks like a real nice variety, we like trying different drinks -- frozen drinks on vacation and no time clock ... does it get any better than that !!!:)

still wondering if there is a clock , when you leave ship on excursions to synchronize watches to ?? When we was on other cruise, when we left on excursions, there was a clock that was ship time right there when you punched your sign and sail card.

Looks like a real nice variety, we like trying different drinks -- frozen drinks on vacation and no time clock ... does it get any better than that !!!:)

still wondering if there is a clock , when you leave ship on excursions to synchronize watches to ?? When we was on other cruise, when we left on excursions, there was a clock that was ship time right there when you punched your sign and sail card.

We spent the last week in June and first week in July in Alaska on the Sun. I didn't see any clocks anywhere near when we got off the ship.

Saw an earlier post about eating lunch in Moderno and I highly recommend this. We've been on many of the NCL ships. We really enjoyed the Sun. The only thing that we felt was lacking was the size of the buffet area. The way it's set up causes huge lines to get through the buffet. It doesn't have a smooth flow pattern (ex: desserts are in the middle of buffet line not at one end - with the exception of the ice cream station which is at one end) Seating in the buffet area fills up fast. The first couple of days we spent a fair amount of time just looking for a place where 4 of us could sit together to eat. Then we discovered the lunch seating in Moderno and that became our meeting place from that day forward for lunch. You can go to the buffet, get your food and go to Moderno to eat it - or order fresh made to order pasta in Moderno (no cost involved) at lunch. They also have a nice salad station set up at lunch.

There wasn't a full chocolate buffet on the Sun like we have had on other NCL ships. They did have a chocolate night and we did not eat in the main dining room that night, so don't know what was served there. In the buffet they had a few chocolate items out for desserts and the rest of the buffet was normal food (compared to our cruise on the Gem the month before where the entire buffet closed down after dinner, then re-opened with every inch of the buffet serving nothing but chocolate items...it was incredible)

We thoroughly enjoyed the productions shows in the evenings. I believe there are 3 of them during a week cruise. The entertainment the other nights depends on who they have contracted to come onboard and perform. Some were just okay and some were fabulous.

We had great service everywhere on ship and will definitely sail on the Sun again.

---

Saw an earlier post about eating lunch in Moderno and I highly recommend this. We've been on many of the NCL ships. We really enjoyed the Sun. The only thing that we felt was lacking was the size of the buffet area. The way it's set up causes huge lines to get through the buffet. It doesn't have a smooth flow pattern (ex: desserts are in the middle of buffet line not at one end - with the exception of the ice cream station which is at one end) Seating in the buffet area fills up fast. The first couple of days we spent a fair amount of time just looking for a place where 4 of us could sit together to eat. Then we discovered the lunch seating in Moderno and that became our meeting place from that day forward for lunch. You can go to the buffet, get your food and go to Moderno to eat it - or order fresh made to order pasta in Moderno (no cost involved) at lunch. They also have a nice salad station set up at lunch.

NCL SUN Garden Café (Buffet) over flow areas are the pool deck forward;

the Great Outdoors aft; the Sports Bar (port side between Moderno and Great

Outdoors) and the Moderno itself. Nothing prohibits you from taking your

meals almost anywhere on the ship - it is just not nice to leave your dirty

dishes on the stairs; in passageways and elevators. Outside your cabin door

is OK as the cabin stewards are supposed to police that area frequently.

Also remember that there is another buffet inside the Great Outdoors where

the soft serve ice cream machine is located. In the am the Moderno is open

for pancakes; waffles and omelets. Remember that one of the MDRs is

usually open for breakfast and lunch. Not everyone can be accommodated at

the same time on the NCL SUN - it is a small ship with large capacity - but

after a day or two getting to know the dining habits and times of your fellow

cruisers there is room for everyone after some adjustments.

With the NCL Freestyle dress code there is something for everyone !

Have only seen one "wave pool" on all of my cruises--it was on the last Princess cruise I took. I wasnt in the pool at the time but it looked like such fun!! The ship was really cruising at the time....

Has anyone seen the pool on the Sun like this before ???

is this just real rough seas ??? or actually a wave pool ??

We have only ever been on 1 previous cruise before ....

I have twice on Sun, both times the seas themselves weren't that rough, really wasn't terrible to walk etc, but the swells were timed such that it caused the pool water to move from bow to stern. For us ahem, more graciously weighted folks it was fun, but I was worried about some youngsters in the pool who came close to being sloshed out of the pool along with the water.

Outside your cabin door

is OK as the cabin stewards are supposed to police that area frequently.

It may be "ok" but why do it? Be never had trouble finding a level surface in the room to set room service items and that way the narrow hallways aren't cluttered with potential stumbling targets for this ungraceful passenger.:D

Friends who were on Oslo loved it because of the privacy, just be advised that you have to take a flight of stairs to reach it. If you have any mobility issues you may want to give Norwegian a call.

I'm going to guess that it was just really rough seas. I'm shocked that they allowed people in there because usually when the seas gets too rough and the water gets like that they usually order everyone out and cover the pool because it's dangerous. I'm pretty sure NCL doesn't have any wave pools on any of the ships. :D

• 2 weeks later...

When leaving Tampa Bay, is the Great Outdoors area crowded alot ??? Cause there are some photo places just before the Gulf of Mexico, Egemont key has a lighthouse, and Fort Desoto Park, these places are on either side of the ship channel...

Also, if some have a zoom lense, or real strong binoculars, just south of Egemont Key , there is a sand bar called Passage Key, I'm not gonna say any more about Passage Key, (you will have to google it !) lol ..

And, we leave at 4:00 from Tampa, and seems nowhere in my cruise details, can i find , What is the earliest you can board ship ???

Boarding the ship usually starts around 11 - 11:30. The line usually starts forming sometime after 10 but that can sometimes just mean a longer wait to actually get through check in.

Final Boarding Time Policy is found on your Confirmation which you download from the website. It does stipulate that you need to be onboard at least 1 hour prior to departure time. We prefer to be onboard asap, usually around noon so we can get lunch in the aft MDR.

Getting excited now for this cruise on Nov 9. All we need now is our passport renewals to be returned so we can pre-book some shore excursions and do check-in.

Question: How far before departure will we receive our e-docs, luggage tags etc. We are leaving home (Canada) 8 days before cruise with no access to print out docs once we are on the road. Thanks

Getting excited now for this cruise on Nov 9. All we need now is our passport renewals to be returned so we can pre-book some shore excursions and do check-in.

Question: How far before departure will we receive our e-docs, luggage tags etc. We are leaving home (Canada) 8 days before cruise with no access to print out docs once we are on the road. Thanks

Once check in is complete you'll be able to print out docs. You should be fine. I assume you've already paid in full so literally, as soon as you can fill in the PP info your edocs will be right there. Make sure you print them off b/c they are your tickets (you only need 1 but we always take 2, just in case).

Your luggage tags, you'll just download and print them off. We always take a small stapler with us but most hotels will loan you one.

HOWEVER, do not stress if you don't have them printed off, as has been said many times on here, it's very simple to get your tags at the port, just look for the guy with clipboard and he'll give you tags. :D

Enjoy your cruise. :)

When leaving Tampa Bay, is the Great Outdoors area crowded alot ??? Cause there are some photo places just before the Gulf of Mexico, Egemont key has a lighthouse, and Fort Desoto Park, these places are on either side of the ship channel...

Also, if some have a zoom lense, or real strong binoculars, just south of Egemont Key , there is a sand bar called Passage Key, I'm not gonna say any more about Passage Key, (you will have to google it !) lol ..

And, we leave at 4:00 from Tampa, and seems nowhere in my cruise details, can i find , What is the earliest you can board ship ???

Another area to take pictures, would be the small walkway in front of the observation lounge.

Forward facing pix YES the walkway in front of the Observation Lounge -

Aft facing pix the Great Outdoors is the place - BUT IF CROWDED go up one

level to the perimeter of the Sports Deck and you can cover just about anything port or starboard.

Aft there is awning canopy over the Great Outdoors causing restricted viewing

Forward just go to the Observation Lounge walkway for the best forward pix.

Best idea when you first get on the ship and a bit settled in your cabin do a

walk around to check out the photo angles.

If the weather is a bit off go down to deck 6 (Promenade deck) and check out

the jogging running walking track sheltered from the elements and where you

will have your muster drill. Photos everywhere but forward and great full spectrum

pix at the stern albeit a tad noisy especially when maneuvering with the

thrusters.

Has anyone seen the pool on the Sun like this before ???

is this just real rough seas ??? or actually a wave pool ??

We have only ever been on 1 previous cruise before ....

My first cruise on the Sun we left out of Port Canaveral on 8-10' seas and half the water in the pool was missing by morning. All of the deck chairs got blown around the deck and they even had to fish a couple out of the bottom of the pool. With any luck we won't have that kind of weather on this trip. :-)

Bev

Well, well, well, learn something new every day. I was actually bringing two cameras, and one of them is a long lens...

I'm actually struggling with the decision to take it off the ship to the ruins in Belize. I may just take my waterproof camera off the ship with me instead while I'm there.

Bev

Can't speak to crowdedness of TGO but, if it is crowded you might want to consider moving to the bow end, going into the Observation Lounge and taking your photos from the balcony that wraps around this lounge. You can access it from either of the single doors on either side towards the bow. Few know this space is accessible so I suspect it won't be crowded ....especially on embarkation day.

Edit: oops, missed that others had made this suggestion....sorry!

Edited by Clay Clayton