To LOCK or not to LOCK?

Georgia-boy

Use twist ties or plastic zip-ties. The TSA (Transportation Security Administration) can and often does search checked luggage. If you have a lock that cannot be opened by them they'll break the lock and you have no recourse for getting it repaired. There are luggage locks now available that can be opened by the TSA (special kind of lock "approved" for this purpose).

We always use cable ties. Put them on right before they go through. If security needs to get into the luggage they are easily cut off. Gives us a better sense of security as I would never leave unlocked luggage with an airline, baggage handlers, etc.

Here in Canada most luggage stores carry the universal locks now, perhaps they are available in the UK as well.

I can only give my opinion as someone who travels frequently for business, vacation and personal reasons I have never once locked my luggage and knock on wood have never had anything stolen. Of couse I never put anything valuable in my checked luggage either.

Scott

Think it is the luck of the draw. We travel several times a year as well. For me, its like insurance. I'd rather have it in case. And definitely never ever put in anything valuable. But for some even a hairdryer and some nice clothes are of interest.

I have not yet found the special TSA locks in the UK

I have other locks from the approved list on http://www.tsa.dhs.gov but have had them cut off

TSA need to ensure every airport sorts out things and opens ALL luggage in front of passengers then they would not have to deal with multimillion dollar claims bill for even basic clothes items that go missing

"TSA need to ensure every airport sorts out things and opens ALL luggage in front of passengers then they would not have to deal with multimillion dollar claims bill for even basic clothes items that go missing"

Isnt that the American government way???

TSA locks are a waste in my opinion, just use cable ties that have to be cut off that way you can tell for sure if your luggage was entered and replace them as needed.

You put the nail clippers in an OUTSIDE pocket of your CHECKED luggage, which of course is not locked.

Even when security cuts the cable ties, they've been kind enough to replace them with BLUE ties plus they add the note about the luggage being opened. Please note that this only happens when DH puts his metal martini shaker in the suitcase:)

Ger 77, no good for us Brits, not allowed to carry nail clippers in hand luggage, will get confiscated at airport.
No problem with nail clippers. Current banned list for cabin baggage is:-
  • Scissors (except where both blades are round-ended or less than three centimetres).
  • Razor blades (razors that have the blade set into a plastic moulding are allowed, but razors that can be opened and the razor blade removed are prohibited).
  • Knives with blades of any length.
  • Household cutlery (spoons are permitted).
  • Hypodermic needles (unless required for medical reasons, for which proof will be required).
  • Tools (including multi-tools and penknives).
  • Catapults.
  • Corkscrews.
  • Walking/hiking poles.
  • Fireworks.
  • Toy/replica guns (metal or plastic).
  • Sporting bats.
  • Darts.
  • Billiard, snooker or pool cues.

You put the nail clippers in an OUTSIDE pocket of your CHECKED luggage, which of course is not locked.
You can also put a pair of scissors in an outside pocket.

Do not on any account run away with the idea that TSA will replace your cable ties with theirs ..........THEY DO NOT

I have now put large white envelopes inside the top of my cases with large print

"TSA if you open this case please relock with cable ties enclosed in this envelope "

My entire beef about TSA is their abysmal failure to relock cases or to repack them neatly and correctly .........hence clothes get caught in zips and things like shampoo bottles get broken or split .........been there done it all

Still waiting for TSA to actually cough up for the damage they agree they caused 6 months ago and have approved payment for

We've been using the TSA locks since 2002 and have never had a problem. There is also an indicator on the that that shows if it was opened. The green symbol turns red (or the other way around) - I can never remember. BUT, our locks have always shown the same color on all our trips. The luggage apes on the ship BROKE my lock last time but I think it was from the way they pile the luggage.

Gayle2

It's worth nosing around for a good price on the TSA approved locks. I found at least six different web sites with a short search, all of whom appeared to have the exact same lock (judging by the pictures), yet the price varied from about $8 to as high as $20.

http://www.keysbycode.com/product.php?productid=16247&cat=0&page=1&featured was by far the cheapest of all

TSA need to ensure every airport sorts out things and opens ALL luggage in front of passengers then they would not have to deal with multimillion dollar claims bill for even basic clothes items that go missing

My only comment - I hope I don't have to wait in line at the airport while they open every single bag for every passenger and go through every item. We'd need to get to the aiport at least three or four hours before flight time if this was the procedure!

I did not mean ALL luggage ........I meant the luggage they intend searching should be opened in front of passengers not behind closed doors

TSA have multi million dollar claims for loss and damage as a result of their secret searches and given the state of my luggage which has been searched on almost every trip i am not surprised at the claims

Since my luggage was only clothes i see no reason why they needed to open my cases anyway

Archived