To LOCK or not to LOCK?

Georgia-boy

Definitely lock! We have always used the plastic ties on our luggage. Leave enough room to get a small pair of scissors (that you put in the outside zipped pocket of your luggage -- NOT in your carry-on). That way if security has to open your luggage they can with no problem and if they don't have to, you can open with no problem. I would never send my luggage out of my sight unlocked.

I never lock my suitcases, or even use zip-ties. Just clothes in there anyways. Anyone who would open your luggage and steal something would also know enough to break the zipper open and re-seal it with the self-repairing zipper head. You wouldn't know it was opened at all...

If you truly want luggage that is secure (or at least easy to tell if it's been broken into), use hardside baggage. Softside is about as secure as a plastic grocery bag.

Since TSA would break the locks on hard sided luggage thats no help whatsovever

The entire problem stems around the calibre of the people TSA employ and the crazy way security is set up at USA airports

The USA has gone from the most insecure set of airports in the world because every tom dick and harry could go to the gate .........to a knee jerk reaction of security that is neither standardised or logical and has learnt nothing whatever from other countries whose security has been tough for years thanks to terrorism

Theres defintely no professionlism whatever in the entire TSA organisation

I just returned to the UK from the US and my bag was searched by TSA agent. Luckily, the clean stuff was in plastic bags, but if that had been my outbound journey I would not have been pleased. As I am an American living in England, one advantage is you are allowed to lock your bags. AND...they do check the bags carefully. On a trip to the US earlier this year I was bringing lots of purchases home in a huge duffel bag. Antique bronze horse brasses were in the bag and they did not look right to the screener, so I was called to the screening area to identify. They waited until I arrived, had me open the bag and could not have been more curteous. Also apologized for the inconvenience.

The entire problem stems around the calibre of the people TSA employ and the crazy way security is set up at USA airports

The USA has gone from the most insecure set of airports in the world because every tom dick and harry could go to the gate .........to a knee jerk reaction of security that is neither standardised or logical and has learnt nothing whatever from other countries whose security has been tough for years thanks to terrorism

Exactly so, but the worst part of the TSA is its arrogant belief that it has nothing to learn from elsewhere.

I am so glad that I'm never in the US more than half a dozen times or so in a year. I think that if I had to deal with that shower more often it would drive me insane.

We don't put locks on our luggage when flying. We use these twist ties (they are somewhat heavy duty ties) and we thread them through the zippers and twist them very tight. I've never (knock on wood) had my luggage opened. When we board the ship, however, we put locks on our luggage.

Suntan ......you are very lucky to have escaped the intrusion of TSA

Whats even crazier is the person who heads up TSA screening spent years working in Security at Heathrow .........They sure have learnt nothing

Arrogant rude and downright incompetant would sum up every TSA employee bar one that I have encountered

We use the TSA locks, and can confirm that the color indicator on the bag does change so that you know it's been opened. We've had our bags opened by twice by airport TSA, who left a note in the bag before re-locking it.

I'm not as concerned when flying as I am on the ship. There you have a hallway full of luggage, likely filled with souveniers bought throughout your vacation. I wouldn't leave anything like that in an area without security, it's too easy a target for a thief. That luggage is sometimes out there for hours, usually at a time when people are trying to squeeze the last bit of fun out of their vacation. Take a look around on the last night, the cabins are like ghost towns making it easy to rifle through the bags outside of doors.

That's clearly not true and it's an ignorant thing to say.

Don't forget, the TSA aren't the only folks that handle your luggage. When your luggage goes beyond the TSA it's under control of the airline baggage handlers. And there have been more than a few newspaper articles and 20/20 style TV shows about theft by the airline baggage handlers.

I too have seen the programs re the bag handlers,thats why I find it very difficult, the idea of not being able to put locks on bags. Fine saying put ties on, but if we can cut them off so can anyone else. Also if the TSA locks have a skeleton key, would it not be easy for someone to get hold of one of these keys.?

Why are there a few on here from another country that insist on turning this into a we are better than you contest?? I'm sure there are other forums on the internet that cater to just that type of converasation.

If the way TSA operates really troubles you that much I have a simple solution. Don't fly to the United States!!

Kind of funny as someone who flies about 75,000 miles a year I've never had a single problem with TSA.

Scott

Hi, Scott.

This will be my first trip to the USA and until I looked around this site was unaware of your countries rules, re cases. Your experience seems to be good, lets hope thats what my experience will be.

But look at it from my perspective. I have never before left my case unlocked, these cases when they leave us are handled by baggage handlers, TSA, Cruise staff and we read reports of items removed from bags. Yes I do find it a little worrying.

Nobody is better we are just all different with different experiences.

Middy:)

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never locked my bags and I've never had anything stolen. Of course I never put anything of real value in them. I guess If someone wants my used clothing, they can have it. Anything of value goes with me.

Why are there a few on here from another country that insist on turning this into a we are better than you contest??
No, there's no contest, neither is it anything to do with "we are better than you". I'm as much of a customer of the TSA as you are, and I have as much right to voice my opinion about their performance as you do.

The simple point is this: Security is important. But the way the TSA goes about it is both poor and distressing, and the security that the TSA provides is no better for it. The hassle is unnecessary - it can be taken away without security being compromised at all.

Yet there are many people who simply shrug and swallow the official line that because there is a terrorist threat, this hassle must be inevitable. You just need to look at this thread and others to see that. It's untrue. But most people who believe it don't know that it's untrue because they have probably never experienced it being done better elsewhere. As you know, a particularly prominent example of this was the poster who said:-

Frankly I also am very willing to have bag searches if it means tighter security. If this isn't happening in GB yet, my bet is that it will start.
This person obviously doesn't know that 100% checked baggage X-ray inspection had been taking place elsewhere for 10 years or so before the TSA started doing it.

But at least lack of experience elsewhere is more excusable than people who do know that there are better ways, and yet would rather silence criticism than risk having the Emperor's clothes seen for what they are.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never locked my bags and I've never had anything stolen. Of course I never put anything of real value in them. I guess If someone wants my used clothing, they can have it. Anything of value goes with me.

Amen to that. Same way here.

After giving thought to the common compliant on this thread that TSA is rude and unhelpful. I found myself asking the question why is anyone even interacting with TSA?

You walk up to the scanner but your belongings on the belt, empty your pockets, remove your shoes and walk through the metal detector, pick up you belongings and are on your way. 9 times out 10 thats how it goes unless you set off the metal detector, they want to look at something in your bag or you've been selected for additional screening. In any cases there is really no reason to be interacting with TSA. Other than answering any questions they may ask you.

Where is the hassle that everyone is talking about??? The only thing I do different then before is remove my shoes since they increased the sensitivty of the metal detetctors and it will most likely set it off.

I've also found a smile and no problem or thank you goes along why if they ask to search your bag or you.

I also agree that before 9/11 airport security here was a joke and the TSA still has a long way to go to get it right but they are making an effort. Also keep in mind this is an agency that was basically created overnight which is an extremely difficult task regardless of who you are.

I don't agree that we are a customer of the TSA just as we are not a customer of the Air Force or FBI for example. I've travelled to many countries that have odd security practices at the airport but I remind myself it is their country and if that is the way they do it then so be it.

Scott

Leaving next week on Alaska cruise. I just bought today TSA approved locks at Target store 2 for $6.99. Also bought some zip tie things. We haven't been locking our suitcases for the past few years and have been lucky since nothing has been missing. Yes, they have been opened often by TSA, but have had no problems.

Boy did I get something started. Thank you Scott for helping to clear up a lot of misconception. Are you cruising this year? Give us a call some time, we are just down the road from you in Newnan.

At least I have an answer. I have ties now. :) Thanks for you alls help.

I have never locked luggage before and have been all over the world, but I will lock it now.

I have driven millions of miles, no accidents, but wear my seat belt now.

Charles Gardner

After giving thought to the common compliant on this thread that TSA is rude and unhelpful. I found myself asking the question why is anyone even interacting with TSA?

You walk up to the scanner but your belongings on the belt, empty your pockets, remove your shoes and walk through the metal detector, pick up you belongings and are on your way. 9 times out 10 thats how it goes unless you set off the metal detector, they want to look at something in your bag or you've been selected for additional screening. In any cases there is really no reason to be interacting with TSA. Other than answering any questions they may ask you.

I've also found a smile and no problem or thank you goes along why if they ask to search your bag or you.

I don't agree that we are a customer of the TSA just as we are not a customer of the Air Force or FBI for example. I've travelled to many countries that have odd security practices at the airport but I remind myself it is their country and if that is the way they do it then so be it.

Scott

I was thinking just about the same things myself as I was reading the posts. I haven't found any rude TSA agents, but, then again, as I approach the screening area I have my boarding pass and passport out, have my watch off and stowed in my bag which is going through x-ray, grab a bin ahead of time and have my stuff in it and say hello, or good morning, or "how y'doin?" to any personnel I come across. I smile at the person standing at the x-ray machine and make sure they are ready for me. I gather up my belongings quickly if they don't need further inspection and step away from the area and out of everyone's way. On the few occasions that someone has asked to take a look, I said "of course" and I stood back from the table unless they asked me to open the bag.

I too have seen the programs re the bag handlers,thats why I find it very difficult, the idea of not being able to put locks on bags. Fine saying put ties on, but if we can cut them off so can anyone else. Also if the TSA locks have a skeleton key, would it not be easy for someone to get hold of one of these keys.?

You can't make anything totally secure. Israel has some of the tightest security in the world, but they still get terrorist attacks all the time. People escaped **** Germany and the Communist countries.

You can have the latest high tech security on your car, but if someone wants to steal it, they can.

That's not the point. The point is to secure your luggage the best that you can. If someone (non-TSA) wants to steal stuff from luggage, if you have a lock, it'll make your bag less appealing. If it's TSA, then if you had it locked or zip-tied, you can at least narrow it down when filing a police report so they have a better idea of where to start their investigation.

If you have anything valuable, carry it on you. If you can't, do you really need it on vacation?

They come in bright colors, are easy to twist on and off and are cheap. I just use them to secure the zippers together so my skivvies aren't displayed on the carousel for all the world to oooh and ahhhh over. My luggage is constantly searched by the TSA and they have ALWAYS put the pipe cleaners back on the zippers when they are finished. At first the searches bother me, but now I am so used to it I really do not care. I do think it would be nice if they slipped a little prize in every 100th bag searched or something!!! Give me a little something extra to look forward to on every trip. :D

Archived