Reorganization of River Cruising forums (again)

Host Jazzbeau

My issue is (always has been...) TITLES. If people would give their threads meaningful titles, it would be SO HELPFUL for those of us browsing or searching. When titles are well-chosen, the search feature actually works:p

On another note, I think the "All Christmas Markets 2014" thread is working really well! I don't care about meeting people on my boat, but discussing our shopping and packing plans, flight options etc has been very nice, and it doesn't matter that we're on different cruise lines or on different rivers.

Alberta Quilter ~ I also would like to see a Roll Call for each cruise - but only IF there were more than 2 CC members on that cruise!

I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I didn't want a separate roll call for every cruise but for every cruise line - Viking, AMA, Tauck, Avalon, etc. To do each cruise within a cruise line would be far to onerous, I would think. Not to mention the issue you pointed out with so few CC members on a particular cruise!

And, by doing each cruise line, that eliminates the "advertising" issue that Jazzbeau was mentioning. It treats every cruise line the same.

However, I'm okay with titles like All Paris to Normandy Cruises or All Chalon to Avignon Cruises, too. Can you tell I'm booked on a France river cruise?!

My issue is (always has been...) TITLES. If people would give their threads meaningful titles, it would be SO HELPFUL for those of us browsing or searching. When titles are well-chosen, the search feature actually works:p

On another note, I think the "All Christmas Markets 2014" thread is working really well! I don't care about meeting people on my boat, but discussing our shopping and packing plans, flight options etc has been very nice, and it doesn't matter that we're on different cruise lines or on different rivers.

I agree that good titles are important. Does an OP have the ability to make this change? If not, what the best way for either the OP or another poster request/suggest a change?

ETA: Jazzbeau, I think you are on the best track. In our several river/small boat cruises I never met another CC poster. It seems unlikely that I'll ever find a rollcall . . . :(

Edited by CPT Trips

Jazzbeau ~ first, you've done a fantastic job handling this board so far - even dealing with situations like the one I "innocently" created by posting the jpegs of dallies that were too small to read thus creating the "messiness" of people posting their e-amial address! (I'll use pdf files in the future!!)

As to re-organizing the Forum - my thoughts are to leave it the way it is for another season (fall) and see how much activity there is - then if you/CC feel the need to reorganize begin this discussion again.

I know you're trying to help and make things easier by dividing up the itineraries - but so many overlap! Many of the RCers have taken cruises on different rivers and can offer great advice. But they have to see the title of the thread to join in the discussion. If there are too many sub-catagories who's going to check through all/many of them so see where he/she can comment?

Last year I found the "All Christmas Markets 2014" full of wonderful advice - and in some cases it didn't matter if the person was traveling on the Rhine or Danubu or whatever - just that they were cruising in cold weather. I also learned a lot from the Rhine Getaway thread - even from people who cruised in the summer!

Good Luck with whatever you decide - some will like it, other will hate it, but I'll stick with it!!!!

Great post! All I can add is "Me too"

I agree that good titles are important. Does an OP have the ability to make this change? If not, what the best way for either the OP or another poster request/suggest a change?(

Posters can't change thread titles (or edit posts after a few minutes). You must request that the host do this for you. And I can only do it if the OP requests it.

Posters can't change thread titles (or edit posts after a few minutes). You must request that the host do this for you. And I can only do it if the OP requests it.

Now that's something I didn't know. So if I want to delete a post, I can ask you to delete it for me and you will/can?

CC needs a total upgrade. I hope they are working on it.

Now that's something I didn't know. So if I want to delete a post, I can ask you to delete it for me and you will/can?

Yes. But remember that I'm not lurking 24/7 so it may take some time...

Yes. But remember that I'm not lurking 24/7 so it may take some time...

In other words don't write something you wish you had not written unless you delete it right away . . . :D

Thanks for your work and for the info.

I agree with both the comment re: titles, and the "generic" roll call threads (have started at least one of those myself!!)

On the roll call forum, someone mentioned closing down out of date threads - and I think that is a good idea. For example - something on low water in the spring of 2013 is really of no value in July 2014. Sometimes these threads are brought forward by someone posting - and you click in thinking it is a new post.

Just my 2 cents here....

Fran

The issues being discussed, edit time, thread title editing as well as lack of PM capability are, I think, things that can be set by the board owners. My hunch is that they have weighed the pros and cons and selected these settings.

The issues being discussed, edit time, thread title editing as well as lack of PM capability are, I think, things that can be set by the board owners. My hunch is that they have weighed the pros and cons and selected these settings.

Maybe. Maybe not. I have been on CC since AOL days. After they switched over from AOL it is exactly the same. The boards are antiquated.

Too bad it's a fiat accompli, I really liked your ideas JazzBeau- especially the idea of arranging the "ports" around itineraries instead. It just doesn't work like ocean cruising, where a ship can ping pong around the Med or or the Caribbean; river boats have to go from point A to point B and the boards should be organized the way the cruises are! Most of the info I gleaned for my upcoming AMA trip came from people who traveled the same itinerary whether Viking or AMA or something else.

OH well! Competition is coming we will see how things go from here ;)

We're always working on something! We want members to have the best experience so we're always working on improving the site.