Cruising with 15 yr old son

Hello,

We are considering booking a holiday cruise for our family. Me, DH, DS(15), DD(28) and DSIL(28). There is a possibility that DS may have a buddy joining us.

We are not able to do a 7-day cruise due to work schedules so we are limited to a 3 or 4 day itinerary to Bahamas which means Enchantment of the Seas or Majesty of the Seas.

I'm asking for advice/opinion on whether or not our DS will be occupied enough on one of these smaller ships. TIA

Hello,

We are considering booking a holiday cruise for our family. Me, DH, DS(15), DD(28) and DSIL(28). There is a possibility that DS may have a buddy joining us.

We are not able to do a 7-day cruise due to work schedules so we are limited to a 3 or 4 day itinerary to Bahamas which means Enchantment of the Seas or Majesty of the Seas.

I'm asking for advice/opinion on whether or not our DS will be occupied enough on one of these smaller ships. TIA

My brother took his 15 yo son on a cruise and once he found out there were lots of girls in bikinis by the pools he spent most of his time there.

Hello,

I'm going to assume you are paying for this cruise so why would you care if he has enough to do or not. These ships are floating resorts palaces with pools, basketball courts, decks games, teen clubs, shows, food from morning to night, etc. If anything else if he's bored I agree with Tahoebob he can just lie around the pool and watch all the girls in bikinis. Isn't that what most boys are into away....girls. LOL I guess you are looking at it from a mother's perspective; but I can assure he can find his own entertainment and fun whether it's a big or small ship. Just make sure he knows your rules and behaves himself.

Edited by COMBOY

Remember if the "buddy" goes you will need a notarized form letter from RCI, I think from both parents. Others might know for sure. Unless of course the parents go also. As for stuff to do, most kids are happy by the pool or in the game room (which costs money).

Speaking of teens, check out this older RCI commercial:

When our daughter was a teen and was vacationing with us, she fancied herself an emo. She sat in a darkened suite on a cruise ship sailing in the Caribbean contemplating how bad her life was. Thank God she has started to grow up.

Sitting her with DD17 who did Enchantment last winter, and has cruised the older ships (but not as old as majesty) she said out of those two- Enchantment hands down. Still wasn't great because although a few venues have been added- Park Cafe and Bungee jumping that aren't on Majesty, there wasn't as much to do at night as there is on Mariner class and up which have the Royal Promenade. You can read my Enchantment review below ( linked in my signature)

Any chance that you could take one of the 6 day cruises on Freedom class ship Liberty? I think it's out of Miami or FFL and alternates 6 and 8 day itineraries, maybe the 6 could work?

In the end, it's a cruise, it's cool and fun and of course it will be too short, so I doubt he'd complain with either option! :D

When our daughter was a teen and was vacationing with us, she fancied herself an emo. She sat in a darkened suite on a cruise ship sailing in the Caribbean contemplating how bad her life was. Thank God she has started to grow up.

Oh, Paul I have one of those ! (Not the 17 yo) Just last night she was crying that she hates her job, (a paid internship working on props for a wonderful theater where her desk by a window overlooks the Atlantic Ocean) and her life (living in a beach house on the Atlantic Ocean) :rolleyes:

Should be lots for them to do. Basketball, rock climbing, pool aboard. Snorkeling, sailing, swimming at CocoCay. They can do the water park in Atlantis, go snorkeling or SCUBA diving, swim with dolphins, etc.

Oh, Paul I have one of those ! (Not the 17 yo) Just last night she was crying that she hates her job, (a paid internship working on props for a wonderful theater where her desk by a window overlooks the Atlantic Ocean) and her life (living in a beach house on the Atlantic Ocean) :rolleyes:

OMG..I LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing. So glad my kids are no longer teenagers! This gave me quite a laugh :D

I have 2 boys and 2 girls . Now all grown thank God.

I would have 10 more boys before I ever had another girl. The drama *LOL*

Maybe we were just lucky or maybe its been long enough but I don't remember that much drama.

Maybe we were just lucky or maybe its been long enough but I don't remember that much drama.

Oh God you are lucky :)

Thank God never had REAL trouble with any of them, and now they are all doing well with good jobs and all.

But there were a few years there when every day was like a soap opera.

I think it all depends on the child. While my daughter definitely had some drama, nothing compared to my son.

To the OP, your 15 year old will find plenty to do. Try to get him to the teen club the first night to meet others who are also sailing and my bet is you won't see him for most of the rest of the cruise if you let him get away with it!

I knew that we were in trouble when ours was voted the "most dramatic girl" in her eighth grade yearbook. She also went to a performing arts highschool. To say that she was a drama queen is an understatement.

Remember if the "buddy" goes you will need a notarized form letter from RCI, I think from both parents. Others might know for sure. Unless of course the parents go also. As for stuff to do, most kids are happy by the pool or in the game room (which costs money).

Speaking of teens, check out this older RCI commercial:

You do need a notarized letter but it doesn't have to be a specific 'form' letter and I believe one parent can sign.

Regarding teens, I just took my son (16) on a 3 day Enchantment cruise and he loved it. Made new friends in the teen club just as someone else said.

Oh God you are lucky :)

Thank God never had REAL trouble with any of them, and now they are all doing well with good jobs and all.

But there were a few years there when every day was like a soap opera.

Funny, her mom remembers all the drama. I just remember my little girl.

Hello,

I travel alone with my 14 year old, trust me, you will looking for him. If not have him bring homework and a book, he can tell all his friends he did his homework by the pool... He will be fine.

Thanks to all for posting! I do feel that the EOS will be better. Hoping to make a longer itinerary but with work schedules and school breaks, it's hard to coordinate. P.s. I wish CC had a "like" button for some of the posts and stories mentioned!!!

I would check the deck plans of the 2 ships because I don't think Enchantment has a basketball court. It does or did have a trampoline.

Also - Enchantment has an extra sea day where Majesty will spend time in Key west.

Depending on time of year, Brilliance of the Seas leaves out of Tampa for a 4 night cruise.

Edited by temple1