Question for Wripro

pacheco18

I am looking at at transatlantic on the Seabourn Odyssey because that ship has the only sailing date that corresponds to our debarkation from another cruise. I have read tons of threads and reviews and it seems you are the one Oceania cruiser who has cruised Seabourn many times and loves it.

Two questions

Can my husband get along without a tie? I read the dress code thread and I think as long as he has a jacket and collared shirt he will be fine. We will likely never go to the fancier restaurant since DH is former military and prefers simple food.

How are the daily activities and the entertainment in the evening? On a TA it matters. I cannot find much on the boards about that. I was really hoping to find a ship with great entertainment for a TA but not to be.

If anyone else can help with these questions, I would appreciate it.

Actually I have the same question. I even called them and could not get a straight answer about the dress code. I have come to the conclusion it like Crystal, which was a turn off to me

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Not Wripro, but have been on a SB TA.

Dress code is interpreted differently by different people, but based on our experience, formal nights (formal dress optional), I would say there were some tuxes, certainly suits, but also jackets and smart trousers (for the men!). Ties were not always worn, with a more casual choice. Jacket always required for the main restaurant - unless it's changed recently - the men in our dinner party were dispatched for jackets one evening when we couldn't get a table on the pool deck and headed to the restaurant. No ties though. For the girls, think what you would wear to a special restaurant on shore - but really everything from cocktail dresses to dress trousers with evening tops, to sundress type dresses with boleros. No ball gowns or sequins on formal nights! Think what you would wear to one of the specialities on O and you won't go far wrong.

On our TA, they had some fabulous singers and dancers (think good west end/broadway) and the officers are very sociable with the guests (offers to dine with hosted tables with officers, entertainers (always great fun) etc. All optional and no offence taken if you refuse any invitation!

There was trivia (very competitive, isn't it always??) Don't know, don't do trivia!

The bands/musicians were great - what I liked was that they played in different venues, changed over but the music never stopped! So if you enjoy dancing after dinner, even if your husband doesn't, there will always be someone to dance with. We went to most of the shows, except when we were late at dinner. The shows were without question the best we have enjoyed at sea from SB, SS and O.

They had a daily crossword which I did enjoy doing.

Other activities, chefs demonstrations where you actually get to taste the food! Lectures etc., I'm sorry I can't remember what else, we just enjoy really lazy days at sea! The TV system in the staterooms is fantastic - movies on demand, none of this running up to see what's available to borrow to find all the latest ones gone! So if you fancy a throwback to your student days with a movie watching day with popcorn and icecream, and lolling about on the bed ....

:eek::D

Seabourn square I think is a fabulous concept and apart from the delicious morsels on offer there through out the day, a good place to meet others, or just relax in a recliner looking out at the wake.

The spa at SB is fantastic - the therapists on our TA were just so good, I could have gone every day for a treatment! Prices as you would expect!

Anything else just ask.:)

Pacheco18,

Yes, your husband can get alone without a tie. Seabourn is much less formal than it used to be. Although on formal optional (noise the word optional) most men will wear one, there are always some who do not. And if you dine in the Colonnade, Restaurant 2 or the Patio Grill on those nights you definitely do not need one. Do not let that stop you.

As for activities they are about the same as most other small luxury lines. As Fiaibourne has already mentioned there is enough to keep you as busy or as quiet as you like. Lectures, trivia, cooking demonstrations etc. What I love about Seabourn is that it takes for gratned that its passengers can also amuse themselves. Sebaourn Square offers the opportunity to connect with fellow travelers and one can spend many happy hours conversing and learning about each other. For me personally, I can spend hours just watching the sea.

Evenings offer different entertainment each night, from small production shows to guest entertainers to deck barbecues etc. One thing I love to do one evening on a crossing is dress in pajamas, stay in my suite, order in caviar and champagne followed by a dinner served course by course and watch a movie.

In other words. a TA is a lot what you make it. You can be as busy or as quiet as you like.

Seabourn square I think is a fabulous concept and apart from the delicious morsels on offer there through out the day, a good place to meet others, or just relax in a recliner looking out at the wake.

SeabournQuest-SeabournSquare.jpg140439.jpg

+1, Seabourn Square is a terrific multi-function space which is well ahead of the curve, and a glimpse into the way that people are really living their lives in 2014.

I like to think that Baristas on the O ships will gradually morph into a similar space, as the Library and Computer Lounge are already adjacent.

204516.jpg

Pacheco18,

Yes, your husband can get alone without a tie. Seabourn is much less formal than it used to be. Although on formal optional (noise the word optional) most men will wear one, there are always some who do not. And if you dine in the Colonnade, Restaurant 2 or the Patio Grill on those nights you definitely do not need one. Do not let that stop you.

As for activities they are about the same as most other small luxury lines. As Fiaibourne has already mentioned there is enough to keep you as busy or as quiet as you like. Lectures, trivia, cooking demonstrations etc. What I love about Seabourn is that it takes for gratned that its passengers can also amuse themselves. Sebaourn Square offers the opportunity to connect with fellow travelers and one can spend many happy hours conversing and learning about each other. For me personally, I can spend hours just watching the sea.

Evenings offer different entertainment each night, from small production shows to guest entertainers to deck barbecues etc. One thing I love to do one evening on a crossing is dress in pajamas, stay in my suite, order in caviar and champagne followed by a dinner served course by course and watch a movie.

In other words. a TA is a lot what you make it. You can be as busy or as quiet as you like.

Thanks for the response.

It may work

My TA doesn't think I would like it that much but it sounds like it might work

+1, Seabourn Square is a terrific multi-function space which is well ahead of the curve, and a glimpse into the way that people are really living their lives in 2014.

I like to think that Baristas on the O ships will gradually morph into a similar space, as the Library and Computer Lounge are already adjacent

+2

Seabourn Square was the best part of the Seabourn experience - the rest was just OK - not special enough to repeat, IMO. Especially so as we have Oceania to enjoy. :)

As always, YMMV

Edited by Paulchili

Yep. Booked

Even got referral obc fr someone from sb boards

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Congratulations! :). Don't think the OBC will go very far in the spa though! lol!

Now you've booked, we can tell you about the tug of war afternoon - the crew get involved and they pick random guests, usually newbies on SB, like YOU, to make up opposing teams. So looks like you'll be in with a chance! And they are never adverse to chucking those who don't obey in the pool! :D;)

Congratulations! :). Don't think the OBC will go very far in the spa though! lol!

Now you've booked, we can tell you about the tug of war afternoon - the crew get involved and they pick random guests, usually newbies on SB, like YOU, to make up opposing teams. So looks like you'll be in with a chance! And they are never adverse to chucking those who don't obey in the pool! :D;)

I am saving my pennies for the spa. LOL

My husband will want internet for the entire cruise. Will mortgage house for same. LOL

I'm game for anything

My husband will want internet for the entire cruise. Will mortgage house for same. LOL

I'm game for anything

LOL! I got that impression which is why I said that :D. .... But I was only kidding about the guest participation, just before anyone else believes me!!! But they do have a tug of war between all the departments (in fancy dress) around the pool deck, and to be honest, I never in a million years thought it would be "my thing"! But it was so much fun and everyone from the Captain down was there ..... It was the only time I think we saw all the guests and I couldn't believe how many (all of about 450!) there were.

The spa is just great so start saving! LOL!!! At least all your champagne is included ..... :p. Just watch the spa, I seem to remember stories of double tipping! The price included gratuities but they left a nice space for you to add one!!! And my spaced out DH did! :rolleyes:

The spa is just great so start saving! LOL!!! At least all your champagne is included ..... :p. Just watch the spa, I seem to remember stories of double tipping! The price included gratuities but they left a nice space for you to add one!!! And my spaced out DH did! :rolleyes:

I am forewarned.

I just sold a ton of old silver jewelry that I have not worn in a decade or two-- some of which was my mother's --(my husband's daughter owns the largest jewelry store here in Tucson so I get a great rate for the silver). I am adding that money to the "spa account." With all those sea days, I will indulge frequently. Fortunately my husband doesn't do spa -- it's his passion for the internet that will break the bank. We all have our vices.

I am forewarned.

I just sold a ton of old silver jewelry that I have not worn in a decade or two-- some of which was my mother's --(my husband's daughter owns the largest jewelry store here in Tucson so I get a great rate for the silver). I am adding that money to the "spa account." With all those sea days, I will indulge frequently. Fortunately my husband doesn't do spa -- it's his passion for the internet that will break the bank. We all have our vices.

I'd rather have your vice! LOL!!

are set up at embarkation to take reservations and they usually know the dates for Formal Suggested nights for those that want a beauty salon appointment then. You will be givn a reminder card and can always change (more than 24 hours in advance) I find it easier to make reservations once aboard.

The daily Herald will announce Spa sale days, which are usually while in ports. Have a great first Seabourn sailing and welcome to the world of Seabourn addicts!

Winnie

are set up at embarkation to take reservations and they usually know the dates for Formal Suggested nights for those that want a beauty salon appointment then. You will be givn a reminder card and can always change (more than 24 hours in advance) I find it easier to make reservations once aboard.

The daily Herald will announce Spa sale days, which are usually while in ports. Have a great first Seabourn sailing and welcome to the world of Seabourn addicts!

Winnie

Thanks for the welcome

We have 3 port days on the TA

Not expecting many sales.

I'm game for anything

On our last Seabourn TA we used our $400 OBC (from a referral) to pay for an internet package for the whole 19 days. Given the hourly / daily rate that was pretty good value and meant we didn't have to feel paranoid when emails took a while to download. Like all ships it's better to browse (and download) when fewer folks are doing so (e.g. early morning) and avoid the 'Pre-dinner Granny Skypes the Kids' time of day when it all crashes down!

We're hoping for a similar package for our next SB TA, that cruise is 29 days long, with nine successive sea days.

On our last Seabourn TA we used our $400 OBC (from a referral) to pay for an internet package for the whole 19 days. Given the hourly / daily rate that was pretty good value and meant we didn't have to feel paranoid when emails took a while to download. Like all ships it's better to browse (and download) when fewer folks are doing so (e.g. early morning) and avoid the 'Pre-dinner Granny Skypes the Kids' time of day when it all crashes down!

We're hoping for a similar package for our next SB TA, that cruise is 29 days long, with nine successive sea days.

That would be a good deal IMO. We just got off an Oceania 20 night cruise and with our discount we paid around 320 for unlimited internet. I would gladly pay a similar amount on a TA -- so much down time and I like to keep my husband happy. LOL

That would be a good deal IMO. We just got off an Oceania 20 night cruise and with our discount we paid around 320 for unlimited internet. I would gladly pay a similar amount on a TA -- so much down time and I like to keep my husband happy. LOL

LOL!! It does make for an easier life if the boys are happy!!

Re your spa question, we go pretty much straight away as soon as we have had lunch, or even before that, as soon as we board to make our appointments. On a TA, the spa does really get booked up.

I love the idea of Wripro's champagne with jammies on evening in! Maybe that would keep your husband happy!!!! LOL!!!! :eek:;):p

I love the idea of Wripro's champagne with jammies on evening in! Maybe that would keep your husband happy!!!! LOL!!!! :eek:;):p

Way too much information for a newbie to provide

Maybe after my second Seabourn cruise. LOL

lol!!!!!!

I might have to spill the beans after all.

Just booked a SECOND Seabourn TA -- I was looking for one to Spain for Spring 2016 (we are staying in southern Spain afterwards) and i never looked at Seabourn. So I am already a repeat cruiser without having left home. I had a better choice of cabins for this one so I booked a midship V2. Perfect.