San Juan Flight Question

DShock

I'm opting for a 11:30am + (it keeps getting a little later each time DL makes a change) flight out of SJU..and not concerned at all...from what other's have said no need to spend more time than necessary at SJU.

That is an excellent flight time.

I'm flying Delta (first time flying out of SJU next month) and am surprised there is even the option to miss the USDA check point :confused:

So is this the reason no more RCI luggage valet at San Juan any longer..how did this work when it was offered ?

When San Juan had luggage valet you simply gave your luggage to the valet area after going through customs. They took care of everything, apparently, including the USDA check as our bags would have the little sticker on them indicating that they had been cleared when we retreived them at our home airport. It was such a nice service.

Does anyone have a photo of this area so people would know what to look for??

You literally can't miss it. It's as soon as you walk in the door for Southwest, huge machine, looks like the carry-on security scanner on steroids.

That is an excellent flight time.

Thanks...great to know..I had originally booked a 12:50pm departure flight home out of SJU but when DL started making schedule changes I decided to take the 11:30am flight instead..that at least gave us more time for our ATL connecting flight since we actually have a favorite restaurant at ATL (crazy I know) :eek::D

When San Juan had luggage valet you simply gave your luggage to the valet area after going through customs. They took care of everything, apparently, including the USDA check as our bags would have the little sticker on them indicating that they had been cleared when we retreived them at our home airport. It was such a nice service.

So when RCI used to offer their luggage valet program at SJU it wasn't the usual procedure of leaving it outside your cabin the night before and not seeing it until you reached your home airport ?

I've used the luggage valet program a few times from RCI at different ports and have enjoyed the option....I thought I remember reading that it was cancelled at SJU due to a contract problem/dispute. I certainly would have used it for this port.

You literally can't miss it. It's as soon as you walk in the door for Southwest, huge machine, looks like the carry-on security scanner on steroids.

I'll be flying DL...and will look for it at their terminal...Sounds like it'll be hard to miss..at least I now know the policy at SJU..first flight home from that particular port.

So when RCI used to offer their luggage valet program at SJU it wasn't the usual procedure of leaving it outside your cabin the night before and not seeing it until you reached your home airport ?

I've used the luggage valet program a few times from RCI at different ports and have enjoyed the option....I thought I remember reading that it was cancelled at SJU due to a contract problem/dispute. I certainly would have used it for this port.

You had two options in San Juan when they had the valet program. You could leave your luggage out the night before but you had to retrieve it in the terminal, go through customs, and then give it to the valet section or you could keep your bags and self carry them off, go through customs, and give them to the valet people.

It worked great for us as our flights home were around 6 PM and it was nice spending the day in Old San Juan not having to deal with bags.

I saw someone mention that there was no waiting for the USDA inspections. We were floored when we arrived behind two extremely large student groups who had to go through the USDA ahead of us. There were about a hundred students in each group, along with their chaperones. We were cutting it close by the time our bags FINALLY got inspected. Don't take anything for granted when it comes to something jamming up your perfect timetable. They were also ahead of us in getting their luggage checked in after the USDA inspection. I thought we were going to miss our plane. Fortunately, these groups weren't on our flight.

We have never flown out of San Juan. Our flight is time is 3:00pm. to Buffalo. There is an 11:30 flight out Southwest Air to Buffalo. Just wondering if that would be do able without to much stress. Saves about 3 hours in airport. Just looking for input. Thank you:confused:

Just waiting for Jewel time

kruisekat

Edited by kruise runner

We have never flown out of San Juan. Our flight is time is 3:00pm. to Buffalo. There is an 11:30 flight out Southwest Air to Buffalo. Just wondering if that would be do able without to much stress. Saves about 3 hours in airport. Just looking for input. Thank you:confused:

kruisekat

I know many will say that's too early, but I would do an 11:30am flight out of San Juan. I'd also make sure I had a very early luggage tag number or do self-assist disembarkation.

Edited by clarea

kruisekat

I would book that without giving it a second thought.