Soft Serve?

Don't know about the other ships, but on Navigator hand scooped real ice cream was also available in Windjammer for dessert at dinner times.

As pointed out by clarea, there is free real ice cream available in the MDR and free soft ice cream (frozen yogurt) on the pool deck on all ships, and Ben & Jerry's premium ice cream for a fee on ships with that venue.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Don't know about the other ships, but on Navigator hand scooped real ice cream was also available in Windjammer for dessert at dinner times.

That is nice to know, thanks. I have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer, I think I may have to check it out for my post dessert, dessert.

I will be on the Brilliance. Slightly sad, because it was awesome to be walking around late at night or early in the morning and just grab a cone on a whim! But I'm really excited about this cruise, so I will let that one slide :-) Frozen yogurt, soft serve ice cream, it's all yummy to me.

When I sailed on Explorer in November, the soft serve machines seemed to have had some problems. What came out of the machine was definitely not what I would call yogurt or ice cream. It honestly tasted like ice with a little bit of a strawberry after taste. :( At some point, they shut the machines down all together so there were a lot of people at Ben & Jerry's which tasted A LOT better anyway ;) And also like many others have said, the ice cream/yogurt set up in the Windjammer and down in the MDR was also really good!

It's been a while since I sailed Carnival, but the soft serve on Royal is not as good as Carnival. Not even close. The Carnival was more like an ice cream. The Royal product, although decent, is more like a frozen yogurt, or some other dairy product - just not near as creamy.

It IS frozen yogurt. :)

DH and I were on Radiance for the TP this April. The soft serve seemed a lot creamier than I had previously experienced on other RCL ships. I don't know if they changed the brand of mix they were using or if it was because of the side of the world we were on. It was Yummy!

I was on the Brilliance. They have 2 machines...both are together in the buffet area. Unfortunately, they are only open 11am to later in the evening....BUT there are times when the Windjammer is closed (like between lunch and dinner) and you are out of luck. It was really a terrible set-up. I don't know why they can't put one out on the Lido deck area that would be always open but they don't.

On the Allure & Oasis they have them on the pool deck area and in the Wipe Out Cafe...but once again not 24 hours. As a matter of fact I seem to recall them all closing down at 6pm. You then need to go to the ice cream place on the boardwalk and pay for hard scooped or hit Johnny Rockets (and pay an entry fee). And of course you can get it at dinner.

I'm like you, I like it at all hours so that's why Carnival is better when it comes free soft serve ice cream/frozen yogurt machines.

The soft serve icecream is available on the pool deck it is free but only available at a certain time of the day. You can get Ben and jerry icecream at dinner time in the windjammer for free as well. Ben and Jerry's icecream parlor is not free and they charge for ice creams from there.

On the Rhapsody of the seas, the ice cream/frozen yoghurt machines were located on either side of the pool deck, outside the Windjammer entrance. Hours were 11am-9pm. Never a queue and always plenty of cones. Teen son loved it. Not runny or messy.

Edited by aussielozzie18

I've only been on the Freedom Class ships 3 times, and the only time I found a huge line was on seas days - mid afternoon. All other times, there were no more than 3-4 people in line - a 2-3 minute wait at most.

But messy.. yes, sometimes. After all, it's self serve, and since the machine is closest to the H2O zone, it's used mainly by kids who might not be as neat with their technique as you or I might be.

But, I still grab 3-4 cones during the cruise.

Had mentioned one machine, actually there are two machines, never saw a big line for as far back as I can remember on a cruise. And it's only messy if your a novice at using the machine....K.O....:)

On Adventure, they had a crewmember serving guests at the soft serve machines. Lines went much faster, and there was very little mess around the machines. Thought it was a great idea.