British Isles cruise 8/8-8/20

BBMacLaird

I do hope everyone enjoys Liverpool today and this evening. A pity that the sun isn't shining. We have been on Quest twice and it's very strange to think that Journey is just across the water from us now. (We live on the Wirral - other side of the Mersey.) If anyone reads this before venturing off the ship, we can recommend the open top tour bus with the live commentary. We did the tour with some friends on Saturday and we all really enjoyed it. Don't miss the Catholic Cathedral - its magnificence came as a surprise to my friends. What a pity we can't join you for your Azamazing Evening!

Hello all, we are in Southampton today disembarking, and finally I can get to CC! Sorry for the absence.

My first blog of this cruise came out a few days ago: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/aboard-azamara-journey-part-one/

The 2nd and 3rd episodes should be out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off this cruise...at airport waiting for my flight home,

The seas were rough going into Scotland but nothing like Iceland the week before.

I found the internet worse on my second cruise than the first one, worked the best at 12 am or later .. Loved Dartmouth ..

Not enough time to enjoy town if touring but walked to the castle and back.

Dublin is a great city as Liverpool.

Missed the CC party due to a wonderful sail out with great views..

I concur with Ellbon in that Dublin Dartmouth and Liverpool were great cities to visit. I also enjoyed Edinburgh, despite the wx we encountered, as well as the small isles of Anglesey, Scilly and St Peter Port.

Just FYI, I will be out of range this next week. DH and I are sailing home transatlantic.

Will be back online with you when I'm able. In the meantime my compatriot azamaraJoel will cover for me when he can.

I concur with Ellbon in that Dublin Dartmouth and Liverpool were great cities to visit. I also enjoyed Edinburgh, despite the wx we encountered, as well as the small isles of Anglesey, Scilly and St Peter Port.

Just FYI, I will be out of range this next week. DH and I are sailing home transatlantic.

Will be back online with you when I'm able. In the meantime my compatriot azamaraJoel will cover for me when he can.

I did get out inScilly.. But no place was open to eat before six bad then the closet pubs were very full. I love eating in town. So what h sail away from Windiws bar and got super sunset pictures.

Channel Islands been there so slept in and had a great massage. Had lots of people to say goodbye too.

Edinburg used the ship dinner show... Better than I thought it would be. But nothing tops the other three new ports for me. Most of all seeing local friends in Liverpool.

Parts 2 & 3 of the Blog now available and a very enjoyable read.

However in Blog 2 Bonnie refers to a bottle of Scottish Whisky :eek:

Now I may be being a bit of a pedant here but surely there's no such thing.

It's Scotch Whisky isn't it :confused:

Hello all, we are in Southampton today disembarking, and finally I can get to CC! Sorry for the absence.

My first blog of this cruise came out a few days ago: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/aboard-azamara-journey-part-one/

The 2nd and 3rd episodes should be out soon.

I have just been looking at part 3 of Bonnies Blog which is really good.

She talks about her visit to Anglesey & mentions the village with the longest name.

I am not Welsh but I lived & worked on the island in the 1970s.

The actual meaning in English is as follows, it is shortened to

Llanfair PG or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a village on the island of Anglesey in Wales, Britain. It is in the Guinness Book of Records for being the place with the longest name in Britain.

The name means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave" in Welsh. It was invented in the 1860s by a local tailor to make the village famous for having the railway station with the longest name.

How ironic, I was there at exactly that time meeting up again with Gitte and others as they were filling in their time enjoying Britannia. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip out - Jenny is well known, I come from Fife and knew here family. I am sure she would give you a really good insight into Scottish life and the delights of our cooking

Hi Uktog, et.al. ~ I'm sorry I missed meeting you while in Edinburgh. I have a video I took on my iPhone of the woman playing the bagpipes in the rain upon our arrival. If I figure out how to post it I will. In the meantime I will be catching up on all the Cruise Critic posts I've missed these past 3 weeks!

Here's the link to Blog 2 of my cruise postings: Cooking in the Kingdom of Fife:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/aboard-azamara-journey-part-two/

I have just been looking at part 3 of Bonnies Blog which is really good.

She talks about her visit to Anglesey & mentions the village with the longest name.

I am not Welsh but I lived & worked on the island in the 1970s.

The actual meaning in English is as follows, it is shortened to

Llanfair PG or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a village on the island of Anglesey in Wales, Britain. It is in the Guinness Book of Records for being the place with the longest name in Britain.

The name means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave" in Welsh. It was invented in the 1860s by a local tailor to make the village famous for having the railway station with the longest name.

Hi Bloodaxe, thanks for finding the real definition for me. I will post it below the blog on the ACC website.

Hi PrefDavid, I'm continually befuddled on when to use "Scot", "Scotch" and "Scottish". Would I be correct to say "My DH is a Scot of Scottish descent who drinks Scotch whisky"??

To the rest of my readers, here's Blog 3: Liverpool & Anglesey.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/aboard-azamara-journey-part-three/

The 4th blog of the trip should be out soon.

Bonnie

Hi PrefDavid, I'm continually befuddled on when to use "Scot", "Scotch" and "Scottish". Would I be correct to say "My DH is a Scot of Scottish descent who drinks Scotch whisky"??

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie

A bit of tuition from the DH eh? ;)

Spot on I think. :) (from an English friend, let's hope we're all still friends after the forthcoming referendum!!)

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie

A bit of tuition from the DH eh? ;)

Spot on I think. :) (from an English friend, let's hope we're all still friends after the forthcoming referendum!!)