Advantage of booking onboard???

karinad

Our first NCL cruise was 10 yrs. ago and haven't been on NCL since. We'll be on the Gem in Oct. and I'm looking at a transatlantic on the Epic in April. What's the procedure for booking onboard? Can you transfer it to a travel agent once you're home? Can you cancel and get your money back if you book onboard?

On Princess it's a $200. deposit with OBC for a future cruise and after a few yrs. they give your money back if you don't book a cruise.

Sorry for all the questions, especially if they were answered before. I suck at searching!:o

The only way to book another cruise while you are on board would be to book it over the internet just like you would if you were not on the ship.

However, what you can do while you are on board is buy a Freestyle Cruise Reward. It costs $250 and you will immediately receive a $100 credit to your OBC account. You have 4 years to use the FCR on another NCL cruise. Except for some suite categories, the FCR of $250 will be used as full deposit for any NCL cruise lasting 6 days or more.

If you don't use the FCR, there will be no refund by NCL. Sometimes they are sold here on CC.

Hope this answers your questions.

The only way to book another cruise while you are on board would be to book it over the internet just like you would if you were not on the ship.

However, what you can do while you are on board is buy a Freestyle Cruise Reward. It costs $250 and you will immediately receive a $100 credit to your OBC account. You have 4 years to use the FCR on another NCL cruise. Except for some suite categories, the FCR of $250 will be used as full deposit for any NCL cruise lasting 6 days or more.

If you don't use the FCR, there will be no refund by NCL. Sometimes they are sold here on CC.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thank you! The FCR would be a full deposit for 2 people? I guess it's not a bad deal. The $100. OBC would be used right away. Can that credit be used for tips? We also have an OBC from our TA and I just applied and was approved for the NCL cc that comes with $100. OBC. I'm not at all clear on what these OBC's can be used for. I'm used to other cruise lines that all the OBC's could be used for anything, including tips.

I do appreciate the help! This cruise wasn't a reality until I just made final payment!

Thank you! The FCR would be a full deposit for 2 people? I guess it's not a bad deal. The $100. OBC would be used right away. Can that credit be used for tips? We also have an OBC from our TA and I just applied and was approved for the NCL cc that comes with $100. OBC. I'm not at all clear on what these OBC's can be used for. I'm used to other cruise lines that all the OBC's could be used for anything, including tips.

I do appreciate the help! This cruise wasn't a reality until I just made final payment!

p.s. I guess that the $250. is applied right to our credit card and not our onboard account?

Thank you! The FCR would be a full deposit for 2 people? I guess it's not a bad deal. The $100. OBC would be used right away.

One FCR is good for one (regular) cabin's deposit, no matter how many people booked in it. Rest of the regular deposit amount will be left to pay with final payment (so the total doesn't change, just the amount that you have to "pay" at the time of booking).

p.s. I guess that the $250. is applied right to our credit card and not our onboard account?

No, it is charged from onboard account.

And to return your first question about service charge, it is much easier if you think that the FCR including OBC actually costs you only a total of $150 (as the FCR is billed, part of it's cost will immediately be covered by the OBC that is credited to your account at the same time).

So in that sence the OBC can be kind of used for service charge because it already offsets part of FCR charge that is bigger than the OBC amount so the OBC is already used no matter what.

In other words, I always think that so I can buy one FCR for $150 and then still have $100 in my pocket (not as OBC) to save or use as I see fit.

One FCR is good for one (regular) cabin's deposit, no matter how many people booked in it. Rest of the regular deposit amount will be left to pay with final payment (so the total doesn't change, just the amount that you have to "pay" at the time of booking).

And to return your first question about service charge, it is much easier if you think that the FCR including OBC actually costs you only a total of $150 (as the FCR is billed, part of it's cost will immediately be covered by the OBC that is credited to your account at the same time).

So in that sence the OBC can be kind of used for service charge because it already offsets part of FCR charge that is bigger than the OBC amount so the OBC is already used no matter what.

In other words, I always think that so I can buy one FCR for $150 and then still have $100 in my pocket (not as OBC) to save or use as I see fit.

It does sound like a pretty good deal! Thanks for explaining it. It's hard to keep all the cruise lines benefits straight!

These offers (FCR) have been made on my two previous Caribbean cruises, but are they also available on the transatlantic cruises?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

These offers (FCR) have been made on my two previous Caribbean cruises, but are they also available on the transatlantic cruises?

Available on all NCL cruises (at least on those I've been on, don't know about CTNs and shorter ones that can't be booked with FCR to begin with).

Thanks, Demonyte. We've always been given some amount of OBC with each of the three cruises we've booked but not with the April, 2015, transatlantic booking--maybe because it was so far in advance--so it seemed perhaps that other offerings (FCR, for one) might be different or unavailable on the ta's.

To all, I need affirmation (or correction) of one other point: the $100. OBC given with the FCR is only good for the cruise on which the purchase is made. Obviously I've never purchased this but plan to do so on one/both of our two already-booked cruises as we do plan a third (maybe fourth) cruise within a year or two.

Edited by Rhea98

To all, I need affirmation (or correction) of one other point: the $100. OBC given with the FCR is only good for the cruise on which the purchase is made.

Yes, it is only good for the cruise you are on. Better to forget the OBC altogether and think only that after you have purchased the FCR you will have $150 more charges on your onboard account (instead of $250 more charges and $100 OBC).

I think I grasp that point from your earlier reply to the OP--assuming no other charges, you would only be paying a total of $150. for the $250 FCR at the end of the cruise when the bill tallies. This is the reason that a full refund within the 30 day period is for $150. If, however, you do not get a refund, then you do have a full $250. credit towards the future cruise.

I do understand that this "deposit" is good on all cruises of 6 days or longer over the next 4 years. To be clear, ultimately, I am getting a $100. discount on the cost of a new cruise purchase.

I'm not trying to make a simple concept difficult. I'm just wary of "gift horses" even though this works for NCL.

I really appreciate your time in unmuddling my brain on this point. :confused:

If, however, you do not get a refund, then you do have a full $250. credit towards the future cruise.

I do understand that this "deposit" is good on all cruises of 6 days or longer over the next 4 years. To be clear, ultimately, I am getting a $100. discount on the cost of a new cruise purchase.

I'm not trying to make a simple concept difficult. I'm just wary of "gift horses" even though this works for NCL.

This is exactly how it goes, you have understood everything like it is. :)

Happy cruising!

Appreciate the link. I'd read it--several times, in fact. I just wonder about what's NOT being said, but I guess I got it all. :)

I don't really blame you for being cynical or skeptical about the deal but it really is as you've understood. I have bought many of the FCRs over the past several years and they're great. It gives the purchaser a $100 savings and it guarantees NCL a future booking. It's a rare win-win situation.

I've done several OBBC'S on different cruise lines like Princess, RCCL, DSL, CCL and never had a problem with what they promised. I have been holding an OBC with Princess for the past few years that will expire on Oct., 2014. I just called them to check to see if it could be extended. The rep. said that she really didn't think so, but, if there was a cruise that we wanted to put the deposit on and then Customer Service could check to see if they would extend it. If not, they would refund my deposit of $200.

I have been looking at Princess the past years and haven't seen any cruises that were within my price range or could go on. We have cruised every year on different cruise lines. I would love to go on Princess again, but, IMO, I don't think they're any better then any of the others we've cruised on. We're looking forward to trying NCL.

I think I grasp that point from your earlier reply to the OP--assuming no other charges, you would only be paying a total of $150. for the $250 FCR at the end of the cruise when the bill tallies. This is the reason that a full refund within the 30 day period is for $150. If, however, you do not get a refund, then you do have a full $250. credit towards the future cruise.

Yep. You got it right. The other primary benefit I see is that for most cabins, the FCR is the ENTIRE deposit due to hold the cabin until final payment. That means you don't have to tie up more of your own cash to hold the room until you are ready to pay the remaining balance due. You still have to pay the full amount eventually, but you don't tie up cash until closer to sailing. This is not true with Suites, but for normal cabins, it is true. I've bought one on every cruise that I've been on and used it for the next one. It's a good deal if you will cruise NCL again.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Ok...I'm just getting around to comprehending this and sorry to be thick, but I had to make Final Payment on our cruise and now that it's done and I'm taking my meds again, please correct me if I'm wrong.:eek:

We will pay $250. but get $100. credited right away to our onboard acct. Even though they're giving us $100. back we will still get $250. on our next future cruise, but $150. is non-refundable if we don't cruise in 4 yrs. We could also change our minds within 30 days and get the $150. returned to us.

I think I got it! Right?:o

Ok...I'm just getting around to comprehending this and sorry to be thick, but I had to make Final Payment on our cruise and now that it's done and I'm taking my meds again, please correct me if I'm wrong.:eek:

We will pay $250. but get $100. credited right away to our onboard acct. Even though they're giving us $100. back we will still get $250. on our next future cruise, but $150. is non-refundable if we don't cruise in 4 yrs. We could also change our minds within 30 days and get the $150. returned to us.

I think I got it! Right?:o

Pretty much yes, however there is one point that I'm not sure if it's just wording in your post, but:

You will have a FCR worth $250 after you get off the ship.

Within 30 days you can get a refund for the actual cost of $150 because you already got the $100 back onboard after purchasing.

After 30 days if you realize that you won't be having another cruise in time, your only option to get at least some of the money back is to sell the FCR to another NCL customer, for example someone here.

But yep, you got it. :)

Actually the FCR is charged to your credit card. The reason I mention this is because my CC has travel insurance provided the entire trip is charged to the CC. When we bought the FCR I asked if they charged it to the account or the credit card. They told me it would be charged directly to my CC and I had to provide the CC in order for them to do that because I always set up a cash account.

Pretty much yes, however there is one point that I'm not sure if it's just wording in your post, but:

You will have a FCR worth $250 after you get off the ship.

Within 30 days you can get a refund for the actual cost of $150 because you already got the $100 back onboard after purchasing.

After 30 days if you realize that you won't be having another cruise in time, your only option to get at least some of the money back is to sell the FCR to another NCL customer, for example someone here.

But yep, you got it. :)

Great! I am surprised that we'd be allowed to sell the FCR to a 3rd party. That would be the advantage for the 3rd party because you'd sell it for $150., but they would get the $250. Good deal for someone that hasn't been on an NCL cruise yet or didn't buy it onboard.

I'm glad I didn't go on the cruise clueless to this! Thanks!

Actually the FCR is charged to your credit card. The reason I mention this is because my CC has travel insurance provided the entire trip is charged to the CC. When we bought the FCR I asked if they charged it to the account or the credit card. They told me it would be charged directly to my CC and I had to provide the CC in order for them to do that because I always set up a cash account.

That must be because you had a cash account because we have bought several FCRs and never have had to provide a CC for that specifically and never have had any separate charges on CC used for onboard account either, just one charge for the whole account balance - FCR included.

Also, I've heard that other cruise lines might charge similar charges directly from CC but not NCL.

Edited by Demonyte

That must be because you had a cash account because we have bought several FCRs and never have had to provide a CC for that specifically and never have had any separate charges on CC used for onboard account either, just one charge for the whole account balance - FCR included.

Also, I've heard that other cruise lines might charge similar charges directly from CC but not NCL.

I agree here. Mine has always just been directly charged to my onboard account which I settled at the end of the cruise.

I agree here. Mine has always just been directly charged to my onboard account which I settled at the end of the cruise.

Same here. My FCR purchases have always been charged to my shipboard account.