Chinese visa not requred for cruise passengers?

4774Papa

If your itinerary is same as mine (Nagasaki, Japan - Shanghai, China - Okinawa , Japan), I think we should need a visa even we stay on the ship because in our case Shanghai is not a transit point in this fragment of itinerary. The ship comes from and return to Japan. The 24-hr direct transit policy does not apply.

Yes the itinerary is the same. I think you may have confused the 72-hr visa free entry rule vs 24-hr visa free transit rule. For 72-hr visa free entry you cannot fly round trip from same country ie fly from Japan and fly back to Japan. For 24hr visa free transit since you are not entering the city (ie stay in airport transit area or stay on the ship) there is no restriction on where you are from as long as you are going to a 3rd country and leave within 24 hours.

I have written confirmation from Visacentral, China consulate as well as Celebrity document officer onboard the Millennium indicating no visa is required if staying on ship in Shanghai.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44035837&postcount=358

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44084670&postcount=378

The tricky point is "a 3rd country". In our case, is JAPAN as regarded "a 3rd country" or "a 1st country"? Of course CHINA is the 2nd country.

Japan is regarded as a 3rd country. Third country means any country/region other than China (except Hong Kong/Macau/Taiwan).

For immigration purposes, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are not considered part of China. They have their own exit and entry protocols, including visa requirements.

Japan is regarded as a 3rd country. Third country means any country/region other than China (except Hong Kong/Macau/Taiwan).

For immigration purposes, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are not considered part of China. They have their own exit and entry protocols, including visa requirements.

Question is how does the Chinese interpreted 1st & 3rd country? Better check with the Chinese Consulate or Embassy.

Question is how does the Chinese interpreted 1st & 3rd country? Better check with the Chinese Consulate or Embassy.

It has very clear and this issue has been tested plenty of times. Any country other than China is a 1st or 3rd country. HK and Macau are also independent countries for this question. The 1st country cannot be the same as the 3rd country. Seems clear to me.

The 1st 3rd country restriction is only for 72hour visa free transit

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

Restrictions of the 72-hour Visa-free Transit:

1. This regulation does not apply to passengers who travel on round trip flights (e.g., Hong Kong - Beijing - Hong Kong), which means the destination and place of departure can not be the same. That is to say, only those who make transit through International Airports in one of above cities to the third country are eligible for this policy.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/intro2.htm

2. For Direct Transit

No visa is required for foreigners who hold tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airlines, ships, trains transiting directly through China, and will stay for less than 24 hours and do not leave the specified transit area.

There is no 1st 3rd country restriction for direct transit since you are not going thru immigration/border control (remain on the ship/or at the airport transit area). The only restriction is the flight or ship must leave within 24 hours and to a 3rd country.

Just got my husbands back it took a week since I had all their sticky requirements done. Make sure where you get your photo done they know it is for a China Visa since they size is different.

Yes they use different sizes to other visas, its on their application, the size needed, and its different to a passport pic.

I discovered this after wanting to get it through our post office in Qld, Australia.

They said they didn't do Chinese visa, because their size was different to how their camera was set up.

We had to go to a camera shop.

Ps..NO WAY would I try to board a ship bound for China without a visa..you would probably be rejected on boarding anyway.

Edited by jannandjohn

• 4 months later...
We just submitted usual passport photos, which we had taken in a photo booth. There was a different option for USA and another country's Visas, but no mention of China.

Did you have any problems with the supporting documentation for the visa application?

My wife is German and has today visited the Munich visa centre with

her application and all the required supporting documentation (HAL Check-in Summary with complete itinerary, list of all countries visited in the previous 12 months). However they say the need a copy of our hotel bookings in Singapore and Tokyo (we have not yet booked any hotels), copy of flight tickets from London to Singapore and Tokyo to London, and a copy of the travel agent receipt for the cruise (we booked direct with HAL) and all other relevant information (whatever that mght be).

I am British and it is my plan to take my application to London next week, and I would not like to be then told I need to provide further documentation. I have been trying to speak to the London office but have not yet managed to.

The visa website says they need full details of travel to China, while in China, and evidence of paid passage from China, but the visa office are asking for documentary evidence for all travel and accommodation from the time of leaving UK toarriving back in UK.

Your experience would be helpful please.

Did you have any problems with the supporting documentation for the visa application?

My wife is German and has today visited the Munich visa centre with

her application and all the required supporting documentation (HAL Check-in Summary with complete itinerary, list of all countries visited in the previous 12 months). However they say the need a copy of our hotel bookings in Singapore and Tokyo (we have not yet booked any hotels), copy of flight tickets from London to Singapore and Tokyo to London, and a copy of the travel agent receipt for the cruise (we booked direct with HAL) and all other relevant information (whatever that mght be).

I am British and it is my plan to take my application to London next week, and I would not like to be then told I need to provide further documentation. I have been trying to speak to the London office but have not yet managed to.

The visa website says they need full details of travel to China, while in China, and evidence of paid passage from China, but the visa office are asking for documentary evidence for all travel and accommodation from the time of leaving UK toarriving back in UK.

Your experience would be helpful please.

Hi there,

Yes we had to provide details of our complete itinerary, including hotel stops in China. We were lucky as the whole trip had been packaged and all the information was readily available, we also had to submit two sets of paperwork - one for each of us.

I followed the information and guidelines on the http://www.visaforchina.org/LON_EN/new site, but I also emailed them with a couple of queries and they responded quickly.

It was a very methodical process, but as long as you follow the guidelines, fairly straightforward.

Enjoy your trip.

PS We used ordinary Passport Photos from the booth and they were fine.

Edited by harg56

• 2 months later...

Copy n'pasted from the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco's website FAQ's:

6. How long before my planned trip should I apply for a visa?

Answer: We suggest you submit your visa application a month before your planned trip to China. If you apply for the visa too early, the visa may have expired when you need to use it. If you apply for the visa too late, you may not have enough time to get the visa.

7. How long does it take to get a visa after my application?

Answer: If you have submitted all documents required, it normally takes 4 business days (it varies case by case). If you have a special or emergency situation, you may request express (2 or 3 business days) or rush service (within 24 hours) with an additional fee. Approval for such services may and may not be provided by the Chinese Consulates General.

Applicants should come to get the visas on time. Visas not taken away after 90 days from the day it should be taken away will be deemed abandoned.

8. Can I apply for a visa by mail? Could you mail the passport with visa back to me?

Answer: No. The Chinese Consulates General do not accept mailed visa applications, or mail back your application materials, or mail back your passport with the visa on it.

Applicants may entrust others to submit visa applications or get the visas on a voluntary basis, and applicants should take all responsibilities arising there from.

9. I live far away from the Chinese Consulate General. How can I apply for a visa?

Answer: If you like, you may entrust someone else to submit your application at the visa office. The Chinese Consulate General is not responsible for any consequences that may arise in the entrustment process.

If the Consulate requires an interview with the applicant, the applicant must be there in person.

Another poster on cc mentioned that if you had an old Chinese visa (three years ago), even though it had expired that a new visa was not necessary for a one day port visit. Not sure about this one?

Another poster on cc mentioned that if you had an old Chinese visa (three years ago), even though it had expired that a new visa was not necessary for a one day port visit. Not sure about this one?

Expired is expired:

13. When will my visa become valid and when will it expire?

Answer: The validity of a visa starts from the date of issue, unless otherwise indicated on the visa.

A visa expires under any of the following circumstances:

(1) After 24:00 (Beijing Time) of the Enter Before date shown on the visa;

(2) The number of entries is used up;

(3) The visa is revoked or canceled by the Chinese government authorities;

(4) Other circumstances in accordance with Chinese laws.

However it has been written that if you have the new 10-year visa and your passport expires during the 10-years you will not get a new (pro-rated) visa. You bring BOTH your expired passport and your new one when entering China.

Expired is expired:

Answer: The validity of a visa starts from the date of issue, unless otherwise indicated on the visa.

However it has been written that if you have the new 10-year visa and your passport expires during the 10-years you will not get a new (pro-rated) visa. You bring BOTH your expired passport and your new one when entering China.

Hmmm....So I'm going to have to bring two passports with me to China...next year?

Seems like it would be easier to send in your passport to the Chinese Embassy and have them transfer the 10 year visa into the new passport no need to prorate it could leave the same expiration date....guess they don't care what's easier.

Expired is expired:

We visited China in September 2012 and the visa expiration date is cited in the visa. Too bad it wasn't a 10 year.

A ten year one sounds the best. How early before your trip can you get it ?? Do must us Visa Central ??

In my post, FAQ #6, they recommend about a month before your first entry into China. However if you use a visa service you should follow their guidelines.

The Chinese requires someone to physically go to their embassy or consulate to get apply for visas. You, your friend, visa service, doesn't matter, but some"body" has to go. Also which consulate to go to depends on where you live.

I read somewhere here that getting a Chinese visa is second PITA compared to an Indian visa, make sure you have all the paperwork requested.

you can apply at anytime once you have all the required documents????

To apply for your visa the embassy requires a copy of your flight tickets and hotel bookings among others.

Best to refer to the Chinese Consulate that services your home state:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlljs/t84229.htm

You might also want to include your cruise itinerary in your documents.