walkers and wheelchairs on board?

KMB2014

We are going on a cruise next week with my parents who are in their 70's who are usually quite mobile. Unfortunately, my mother's knee acted up and she is having trouble walking. Is there a way for me to have a back up plan for her on the boat if it becomes too painful to walk? How do I make arrangements for a walker or a wheelchair? The cruise starts on Sunday. Is it too late for that? We are leaving from Vancouver. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

The ship will not provide walkers at all, and a wheelchair only in emergencies. If you contace Special Needs, they will tell you the companies that will rent wheelchairs/walkers which will be waiting in your cabin when you board. Since they will nothave a handicapped cabin, you will have to be sure the wheelchair is collapsible, as others will not fit through the door, and cannot be left in the hallway. EM

We are going on a cruise next week with my parents who are in their 70's who are usually quite mobile. Unfortunately, my mother's knee acted up and she is having trouble walking. Is there a way for me to have a back up plan for her on the boat if it becomes too painful to walk? How do I make arrangements for a walker or a wheelchair? The cruise starts on Sunday. Is it too late for that? We are leaving from Vancouver. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

HAL does not have extra wheelchairs, walkers, etc. You must arrange for your own. I would order now so you don't get caught with Mom stuck in her cabin. I use Special Needs at Sea for ordering. Their # is: 954-585-0575. On HAL you could also use Care Vacations, but I don't have that number.

You must use either of the companies I mentioned above. They are the only approved vendors allowed to deliver to HAL ships for rental medical, etc. Of course, you could rent in your hometown and bring something with you. That would be permitted.

Edited by Linda&Vern

My Mom had an accident the day before the cruise and needed a wheelchair for the cruise. We sailed out of Canada Place (Vancouver) and got a chair the day of the cruise right there with Care Vacations?. They had a booth setup in the waiting area. Great people to deal with.

I do recommend you make arrangements ahead of time though, as I had alot of running around to do to make it happen the day of the cruise.

DaveOKC

Definitely make arrangements with Care Vacations in advance.

It is my understanding HAL only permits two companies to provide such materials so you should check with the Special Needs Department at HAL.

Most reports here have been passengers have been very pleased with the service they received from those companies.

You may want to contact "Special Needs" and request wheelchair help for your mom for embarkation and disembarkation.

My DH has mobility problems that prohibit him climbing the long ramps and/or walking long distances. Once aboard he gets around fine with his cane (abet slowly at times) :)

They take him (followed by me) - in their wheelchair - from the curb to the check-in counters and onto the ship. Disembarking, they take us (again with him in their wheelchair) from a waiting area aboard, thru customs, and deposit him by our shuttle at the curb.

It's more than worth the tips I give to the "pushers" for their always considerate care. He's not exhausted and gasping for breath as we start and end the cruise and doesn't feel like a burden ( he's not but he'd feel like he was) :)

Definitely make arrangements with Care Vacations in advance.

It is my understanding HAL only permits two companies to provide such materials so you should check with the Special Needs Department at HAL.

Most reports here have been passengers have been very pleased with the service they received from those companies.

You may be confusing Special Needs department at HAL with Special Needs at Sea. There is really no need to check with HAL with time being of the essence. Normally, Special Needs at Seas and Care Vacations require 2 weeks notice, but if you call direct (not email or online) either one will assist and be able to have a wheelchair waiting for you at the port. I have never had to check with HAL prior to ordering - it all depends on who serves which port - for any cruise line.

Edited by Lizzie68

You may be confusing Special Needs department at HAL with Special Needs at Sea. There is really no need to check with HAL with time being of the essence. Normally, Special Needs at Seas and Care Vacations require 2 weeks notice, but if you call direct (not email or online) either one will assist and be able to have a wheelchair waiting for you at the port. I have never had to check with HAL prior to ordering - it all depends on who serves which port - for any cruise line.

Be aware that if you want someone to push that rented wheelchair up the gangway on embarkation, you should fill out HAL's SRI form well in advance of your cruise. Same form if it is your personal wheelchair. Personally I would ask for HAL assistance for embarkation and debarkation and order a rental wheelchair be placed in my stateroom for my arrival. It makes sense that you are supposed to notify HAL that you are bringing or renting medical equipment for a cruise - and avoids confusion.

SRI Forms are available on HAL's website or your TA should be able to get you one.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Be aware that if you want someone to push that rented wheelchair up the gangway on embarkation, you should fill out HAL's SRI form well in advance of your cruise. Same form if it is your personal wheelchair. Personally I would ask for HAL assistance for embarkation and debarkation and order a rental wheelchair be placed in my stateroom for my arrival. It makes sense that you are supposed to notify HAL that you are bringing or renting medical equipment for a cruise - and avoids confusion.

SRI Forms are available on HAL's website or your TA should be able to get you one.

If you require wheelchair embarkation with a wheelchair provided, yes you will need to contact HAL. However, we bring our own wheelchair in Vancouver, and have never needed to contact the special needs department. There is always a crew member there to push the wheelchair onboard. In fact, you are not allowed to push it yourself.

Thanks Everyone!!!!!

This information is extremely helpful. I will call and make arrangements right away. Hopefully she won't actually need to use anything, but I want to be ready if she does so that she can get the most out of the trip!

You are all great!

:)

Thanks Everyone!!!!!

This information is extremely helpful. I will call and make arrangements right away. Hopefully she won't actually need to use anything, but I want to be ready if she does so that she can get the most out of the trip!

You are all great!

:)

Always best to be prepared! Have a great cruise.:)

We have ordered w/c rentals from Care Vacations and not notified HAL. My experience is that the WC is in the cabin on embarkation, tagged with name and cabin #. As far as I was able to ascertain, the supplier worked with HAL and there was no need for me to contact the Special Needs dept.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I'm pretty sure when I asked the Care Vacations rep if I needed to contact HAL, I was told "no".

If your mom can make do with a walker, you can do what I do. After checking the rental cost of a walker, I decided to go to my local Goodwill Thrift Store, purchased a used donated walker for $10, and donated it to the ship's Medical Department when I left. I have a spinal condition that recurrs without warning. It's worth it to me to have the walker with me. Everyone comes out ahead: the charity thrift store, me, and the Medical Department, which was very happy to get the walker!

If you require wheelchair embarkation with a wheelchair provided, yes you will need to contact HAL. However, we bring our own wheelchair in Vancouver, and have never needed to contact the special needs department. There is always a crew member there to push the wheelchair onboard. In fact, you are not allowed to push it yourself.

AND that means your name is NOT on the passenger list that need embarkation help. Do you understand how confusing that makes the whole boarding process? Have you ever seen an SRI form? It asks specifically if you are bringing your own chair and if you need embarkation assistance. Just showing up without advance notice and needing a crew member's help makes an interruption in what HAL tries to make a smooth process. Same for debarkation.

We have ordered w/c rentals from Care Vacations and not notified HAL. My experience is that the WC is in the cabin on embarkation, tagged with name and cabin #. As far as I was able to ascertain, the supplier worked with HAL and there was no need for me to contact the Special Needs dept.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I'm pretty sure when I asked the Care Vacations rep if I needed to contact HAL, I was told "no".

If you rented a WC to be in your cabin, how did you get onto the ship?

AND that means your name is NOT on the passenger list that need embarkation help. Do you understand how confusing that makes the whole boarding process? Have you ever seen an SRI form? It asks specifically if you are bringing your own chair and if you need embarkation assistance. Just showing up without advance notice and needing a crew member's help makes an interruption in what HAL tries to make a smooth process. Same for debarkation.

Wow, you really are getting upset about this. Sorry, can only speak to my own experience for the past 10 years of wheelchair requirement, approx 8 cruises with HAL. NO you do not have to complete the SRI form. We did it once only.

And to the following question.... if you order a wheelchair from SNAS or CARE, you can have it delivered to your cabin, or pick up at dockside.

Ok, I am confused, I am sorry.

I don't need a wheelchair (thank heavens) or special help (yet), but I have been in the area enough with them as they normally get special embarkation so here's what I have seen.....

more than sufficient people to help them. special attention and very nice at that. I did have a pleasure to know a few from the roll call and since boarding was delayed we were all chatting. Here's the little I got, most don't make special arrangements. HAL checks it out and then brings the manpower they need or they do two trips.

It seemed well handled to me - but of course, if it wise to contact someone, I would recommend that absolutely. I am not detracting from that.

But, I suspect that those that have not will be accommodated - at least from what I have seen.

Wow, you really are getting upset about this. Sorry, can only speak to my own experience for the past 10 years of wheelchair requirement, approx 8 cruises with HAL. NO you do not have to complete the SRI form. We did it once only.

And to the following question.... if you order a wheelchair from SNAS or CARE, you can have it delivered to your cabin, or pick up at dockside.

I guess you have never been sitting waiting to embark and had the poor HAL terminal staff scratching their heads over the people showing up that want wheelchair embarkation. My last two cruises things got more complicated than they needed to be because of people showing up who were not on the "need help" list.

My PCC called me last week to remind me HAL did not have my SRI form for my October 22 trip. I don't even require assistance. I drive my personal scooter onto the ship. But HAL needs to know that so they can figure me into the "special embarkation needs" group. (I embark with the wheelchairs.) You are certainly free to not fill out and turn in the form. I just thought you should know that from my speaking with embarkation staff, and my personal observation, it goes much smoother when you are on the "list."

Edited by Linda&Vern

Ok, I am confused, I am sorry.

I don't need a wheelchair (thank heavens) or special help (yet), but I have been in the area enough with them as they normally get special embarkation so here's what I have seen.....

more than sufficient people to help them. special attention and very nice at that. I did have a pleasure to know a few from the roll call and since boarding was delayed we were all chatting. Here's the little I got, most don't make special arrangements. HAL checks it out and then brings the manpower they need or they do two trips.

It seemed well handled to me - but of course, if it wise to contact someone, I would recommend that absolutely. I am not detracting from that.

But, I suspect that those that have not will be accommodated - at least from what I have seen.

You are correct Jacqui. Those who have not filed an SRI form are very much accommodated. My point is, why not let HAL know ahead of time you require assistance so they don't have to go pulling more manpower into the terminal than they had planned for.

As an example: My last cruise a lady insisted she could push her husband in his wheelchair up the gangway. HAL terminal staff intervened and asked her to please wait while they found someone to do the pushing. They radioed the ship to send another "pusher." There is no way this lady would have accomplished that wheelchair push - and HAL was taking no chances for an accident. If this couple had filled out their SRI form, all that commotion would have easily been avoided. HAL's terminal staff (I call them the clipboard ladies) have lists of "special embarkation needs" passengers and are actively looking for them.

I guess you have never been sitting waiting to embark and had the poor HAL terminal staff scratching their heads over the people showing up that want wheelchair embarkation. My last two cruises things got more complicated than they needed to be because of people showing up who were not on the "need help" list.

My PCC called me last week to remind me HAL did not have my SRI form for my October 22 trip. I don't even require assistance. I drive my personal scooter onto the ship. But HAL needs to know that so they can figure me into the "special embarkation needs" group. (I embark with the wheelchairs.) You are certainly free to not fill out and turn in the form. I just thought you should know that from my speaking with embarkation staff, and my personal observation, it goes much smoother when you are on the "list."

Let me put it this way.... since the time they asked what my DH weighs and how tall he is, and I informed them, no it's OK we have our own wheelchair, and they said OK, no problem then..... interpret that however you like. However, on disembarkation, if you have a wheelchair from SNAS or CARE - HAL prefers you to leave it in your cabin for collection and use their own to disembark you. In that case you just turn up in the appropriate lounge for assistance and their wheelchair by the PG staff. What you experience and what we experience are two different things. What you decide should be done and what HAL tells me we should do are obviously also two different things. No worries.

As an example: My last cruise a lady insisted she could push her husband in his wheelchair up the gangway. HAL terminal staff intervened and asked her to please wait while they found someone to do the pushing. They radioed the ship to send another "pusher." There is no way this lady would have accomplished that wheelchair push - and HAL was taking no chances for an accident. If this couple had filled out their SRI form, all that commotion would have easily been avoided. HAL's terminal staff (I call them the clipboard ladies) have lists of "special embarkation needs" passengers and are actively looking for them.

One final post to respond to your mistaken observation here.... as I said previously, HAL does not allow anyone but crew to push a wheelchair passenger onboard. They have a very simple system which works. Prior to beginning embarkation they send someone off the ship to count wheelchairs. They then proceed to embark them by making multiple trips. No fuss. No muss. Sometimes, the companion is asked to push the wheelchair to the ramp, but no further (I had to do that once). What this lady did was wrong, but was quickly remedied by staff. I have huge doubt that staff would have told you - another passenger - that this situation was caused by a couple not filling in a form. A form may very well have been completed - you cannot know.

For some reason you have decided to jump down my throat and cross-examine me and argue following a simple response of mine to S7S's post. Over-reaction is an understatement here. But FYI - I will continue to do as HAL requires me to do, and not follow uninformed responses posted here.

Since we have gone off topic to discuss the SRI form, I will add my 2 cents -

I request special no-salt diet and they always email me the form to complete. I find the questions a little invasive and don't want my medical record, or history, or meds taken, stored in some HAL data base for any and every clerk to access. I never return the form, and guess what, the first night at dinner the head waiter always comes to me to discuss the menu, etc. So the ship gets the word without the form.

Again, I was taking an injection med for a temporary time, so on one cruise I had to request a Sharp's container for the room. Again, they sent the form and I ignored it. The container was in the room on the desk.

So - just saying - the form may or may not be all that important. The ship seems to get the word as to who and how many have special needs.