ESTA - rejection at immigration

PurpleMoonlight

The standard Immigration response is "ignorance is no excuse"!

If anyone relies on a third-party to apply on their behalf, it is always advisable to personally check that everything is in place before departure/check-in.

I agree with the Immigration view, if someone is stupid enough not to check, they really only have themselves to blame.

Found the below on the USA Embassy web site.

A visa is issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. A visa entitles the holder to travel to the United States and apply for admission; it does not guarantee entry. An immigration inspector at the port of entry determines the visa holder's eligibility for admission into the United States.

Seems like its all down to the guy's on Immigration.

( make a small mistake when young and pay the penalty forever )

The guys on immigration do not make arbitrary decisions who enters and who doesn't. The guys at the Dept. of Homeland Security do.

Hence the need for the visa application.

Satisfy them and the guys at immigration will let you through.

Exactly, all that I'm saying is that the police would only say just that. They wouldn't offer any opinion as to guilt or innocence, they could only state the facts.

On a slight tangent, I don't know what any cruise company could do regarding allowing or disallowing embarkation before a transatlantic because you don't need to be in possession of an ESTA at that moment. You need an ESTA when you arrive in the USA and they only require 72 hours notice between the application and arrival. No-one at Southampton or Heathrow has ever enquired of me whether I have an ESTA or not.

I agree that the Police no matter what the circumstances would pronounce anybody innocent that is for the Courts. You are also right about checks nobody asked at Southampton if I had the correct paperwork they just checked my passport. TBH the immigration at NY was fine quick efficient and polite. I didn't realise that all this checking was taking ace behind the scenes but doesn't surprise me. I do think it is everybody responsibility to make sure everything is in order but think they could warn people before booking. I knew about it and have visited the States before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologise if I've told this story before.

I have dual British and Australian passports. I live in the UK (but grew up in Australia). When I travel to Australia I use my Australian passport in lieu of a visa.

In November 2011 I arrived at Heathrow airport for a trip to Australia. I was travelling Premium Economy so checked in at the Business class desk (much more personal) with my Australian passport. When I arrived at the gate lounge I showed my passport and was asked 'Do you have another passport?' I pulled out my UK passport. 'No, no, another Australian one?' It turns out that my passport was out of date! (I must have checked it when unwell - therefore brain fog - and focused on the fact that it was due for renewal in October, the same month as my UK one, but didn't notice there was a year's difference.) Because I had been accepted at the check-in desk, the airline did everything they could to help me. There were two of them on the phone and dealing with it. They apologised to me profusely, including the woman who had originally checked me in and could remember me - while I kept thanking them for what they were doing and telling them it was all my fault. I gather they had to phone Canberra. I think this was to arrange for me to travel on my UK passport instead of the Australian one already in the system. On arrival in Australia I was sent to an Australian immigration officer who took down details, all the while apologising for delaying me for 5 minutes. (Again, I was apologising to him and thanking him!) Everything worked well. I was let in and while in Australia I got another passport.

Mistakes happen. I am very thankful that the woman on the check-in desk made a mistake so that I was put into the system and the airlines then did their best to help me. I certainly hope they were not fined. (I've travelled since then on the same airline and didn't appear to have a black mark against my name!) I am pleased to say that BA handled the mistake extremely well!

I agree that the Police no matter what the circumstances would pronounce anybody innocent

In my country everyone who is not found guilty by a legal jury is innocent and police will confirm this in any such case.

I apologise if I've told this story before.

I have dual British and Australian passports. I live in the UK (but grew up in Australia). When I travel to Australia I use my Australian passport in lieu of a visa.

In November 2011 I arrived at Heathrow airport for a trip to Australia. I was travelling Premium Economy so checked in at the Business class desk (much more personal) with my Australian passport. When I arrived at the gate lounge I showed my passport and was asked 'Do you have another passport?' I pulled out my UK passport. 'No, no, another Australian one?' It turns out that my passport was out of date! (I must have checked it when unwell - therefore brain fog - and focused on the fact that it was due for renewal in October, the same month as my UK one, but didn't notice there was a year's difference.) Because I had been accepted at the check-in desk, the airline did everything they could to help me. There were two of them on the phone and dealing with it. They apologised to me profusely, including the woman who had originally checked me in and could remember me - while I kept thanking them for what they were doing and telling them it was all my fault. I gather they had to phone Canberra. I think this was to arrange for me to travel on my UK passport instead of the Australian one already in the system. On arrival in Australia I was sent to an Australian immigration officer who took down details, all the while apologising for delaying me for 5 minutes. (Again, I was apologising to him and thanking him!) Everything worked well. I was let in and while in Australia I got another passport.

Mistakes happen. I am very thankful that the woman on the check-in desk made a mistake so that I was put into the system and the airlines then did their best to help me. I certainly hope they were not fined. (I've travelled since then on the same airline and didn't appear to have a black mark against my name!) I am pleased to say that BA handled the mistake extremely well!

That is a tricky situation that was handled well. I can imagine how awkward things might have been if BA weren't helpful. :)

Every time, since ESTA was introduced, at the check-in desk at Southampton, about to board QM2 bound for New York, I've been asked "have you completed an ESTA form?". I say "yes" and go to produce it, "it's OK, we don't need to see it" :) .

Every time, since ESTA was introduced, at the check-in desk at Southampton, about to board QM2 bound for New York, I've been asked "have you completed an ESTA form?". I say "yes" and go to produce it, "it's OK, we don't need to see it" :) .

Pepper, you obviously look suspicious. Ditch the kaftan! :)

I think they need to encourage passengers to read the ESTA and Visa regulations before making a booking. If they decide not to read then that is up to them.

I don't think I was asked last time but I could be wrong[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pepper, you obviously look suspicious. ...
Just checked in a mirror... yep, even I wouldn't trust that face :eek: , looks "well dodgy" to me...

I'm surprised I'm allowed to board, with a face like that, frankly. Doesn't look right without a row of numbers under it.

I've tried smiling, that only made it worse :eek: .

So, much as I'd like to disagree with you cap'n...

The guys on immigration do not make arbitrary decisions who enters and who doesn't. The guys at the Dept. of Homeland Security do.

Hence the need for the visa application.

Satisfy them and the guys at immigration will let you through.

Not if your name is Mohamed they won't.

David.

If there is racism in this it is on the side of immigration. Have you ever queued behind an arabian family at immigration? They are not treated equally to you and me.

I agree absolutely, my partner of 23 years is of middle eastern extraction so it

Makes my blood boil when I see people making and doing ignorant things towards a culture who's majority live quiet and normal lives. There are extremes in all cultures, I won't touch on the inquisition or some of the atrocities perpetrated in the name of religion.

I wouldn't have commented but on the boards at the moment there has been an awful lot of narrowness shown by some posters and that was the last straw.

Not if your name is Mohamed they won't.

David.

So imagine

Jesus Christ, Moses and Mohammed clearing immigration check points today.

Jesus is questioned for his radical teachings.

"'ere now, what's all this about people praying for Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done?"

Moses is held for questioning about Eco-Terrorism.

"So you admit to parting the Red Sea!"

And then Mohammed objects to the treatment of Christ and Moses and proclaims them both as prophets.

Is there a moral to this imagination?

Talk about tangled webs! One needs an abacus to keep track of all the tangents (no racism intended....)

But, given all the journeys off-topic, permit me to offer one more: as a US citizen thinking of heading to the UK to depart a Cunard cruise from Southampton...I have no idea what at ESTA is..(if i have the acronym in the right order..my brain is scrambled after the last 8 pages)...

And, following instructions here that 'forewarned is forearmed,' will I need to fill one out?

Talk about tangled webs! One needs an abacus to keep track of all the tangents (no racism intended....)

But, given all the journeys off-topic, permit me to offer one more: as a US citizen thinking of heading to the UK to depart a Cunard cruise from Southampton...I have no idea what at ESTA is..(if i have the acronym in the right order..my brain is scrambled after the last 8 pages)...

And, following instructions here that 'forewarned is forearmed,' will I need to fill one out?

ESTA = Electronic System for Travel Authorization. Additional information can be found here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

As Underwatr previously mentioned, the current rules - to the best of my knowledge - are that a USA passport, and the usual Customs Declaration Form and Inspection, are sufficient for entering the UK. if you have a valid USA passport, that is sufficient upon re-entering the USA after travel abroad, so no concerns regarding ESTA. Of course, the same Immigration and Custom inspection applies upon re-entry to the USA.

Sad state of affairs; such is the World today. But enjoy your flight, and your cruise - that is the best revenge ! Cheers & Best wishes, -S.

Edited by Salacia

• 2 weeks later...
It seems strange to have started a separate thread to end the saga?

Yes, this sort of thing is one of my pet peeves. We commit ourselves to a person and his/her problems. Sometimes we spend time researching an answer or checking our own diaries in order to help. Some people are fantastic and thank us for our time and thought and then come back to tell us their decision or experience. Others show no sign that they even read our post, or put the same question in a new thread (often a better place for it) but without acknowledgement or thanks of the help they've received elsewhere. Rant over! ;)