Splendor or RCCL Explorer help me choose

glituner32

Narrowed it down to two cruises I can book for New years. Help me choose. Sailed on both carnival and RCCl before but not these ships. I think I like Explorer more on ship features but the Itinerary more for Carnival Splendor. Hard choices.

Explorer 8 night eastern- labadee, san juan, st croix, st marten, From Orlando

Or

Carnival Splendor eastrn- Nassau, san juan, St Thomas, Grand turk. From Miami

Explorer leaves from Orlando saving about $200 a person on plane ticket. Flying into FLL or MIA cost about $200 more than Orlando. But Splendor cost about $200 less a person then Explorer. So it evens out. Both itineraries look good.

Thanks

Nassau? No thanks. That port is OK on short, cheapie itineraries. But on a longer itinerary? It's a waste of a day.

For me, that alone would eliminate the Splendor's itinerary as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This one isn't even close. Definitely Explorer. The itinerary, ship, everything is better.

With those prices, keep in mind you need to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando, so that'll be an added expense. But that changes nothing. Explorer is still the faaaar better cruise.

Sailing on my first Carnival cruise in a few weeks so I don't really know their ships but I just LOVED Explorer. That was my first cruise and it's been hard to match.

I feel the same way. It will always have a sentimental place with me. By the way.....Love your avitar. Hahahaha

I sailed Splendor out of New York. It's a fine ship, nothing to worry about there.

BUT, that itinerary compared to Explorer is less desirable. If I were to chose I would definately pick Explorer. Labadeee is a RC exclusive and not many ships sail to St. Croix so that's a plus too! We loved St. Maarten and I would do a land vacation there anytime! San Juan is eh, but definitely not a deal breaker!

San Juan is eh, but definitely not a deal breaker!

IMHO, San Juan is the highlight of any Eastern Caribbean itinerary. There's not a single port in the Caribbean with the same cultural diversity, history, architecture, attractions and amazing vibe. The problem with San Juan is that there's not enough time on an average stop to enjoy, even a minuscule fraction, of what this port has to offer. Which is why so many people don't explore beyond Señor Frog's a few feet from the cruise terminal, and then they say that San Juan is eh. :rolleyes:

IMHO, San Juan is the highlight of any Eastern Caribbean itinerary. There's not a single port in the Caribbean with the same cultural diversity, history, architecture, attractions and amazing vibe. The problem with San Juan is that there's not enough time on an average stop to enjoy, even a minuscule fraction, of what this port has to offer. Which is why so many people don't explore beyond Señor Frog's a few feet from the cruise terminal, and then they say that San Juan is eh. :rolleyes:

We spent the weekend pre-cruise in Old San Juan. That's why I say, Eh. I didn't step foot in Senor Frogs.

We spent the weekend pre-cruise in Old San Juan. That's why I say, Eh.

So you didn't leave Old San Juan??? :eek: As I said, this destination has SO much to offer, and most people don't even venture more than a mile from the cruise terminal. While Old San Juan is definitely a must stop for all visitors, next time, rent a car, drive around the island, take the panoramic route, explore the mountains, hike the El Yunque rainforest, check out the contrasting beaches, go to the Arecibo observatory, visit the bioluminescent bay, stay at El Conquistador, take a day trip to Vieques, explore the third longest underground river in the world at the Rio Camuy Caverns, visit historic towns peppered throughout the island, enjoy the freshest seafood you'll ever have in your life at the fishing village of Joyuda, take a tour of the Bacardi Rum Distillery, etc, etc, etc.

IMHO, it's far from being "eh".

Edited by Tapi

San Juan & St.Maarten are my favorites ports on the Eastern Caribbean itineraries by far! Just love that place.

The only other port comparable to San Juan is here in Curacao where I live with a lot of (dutch) architecture, history and cultural diversity. We have 150 thousand inhabitants with 65 different nationalities! go figure.

So you didn't leave Old San Juan??? :eek: As I said, this destination has SO much to offer, and most people don't even venture more than a mile from the cruise terminal. While Old San Juan is definitely a must stop for all visitors, next time, rent a car, drive around the island, take the panoramic route, explore the mountains, hike the El Yunque rainforest, check out the contrasting beaches, go to the Arecibo observatory, visit the bioluminescent bay, stay at El Conquistador, take a day trip to Vieques, explore the third longest underground river in the world at the Rio Camuy Caverns, visit historic towns peppered throughout the island, enjoy the freshest seafood you'll ever have in your life at the fishing village of Joyuda, take a tour of the Bacardi Rum Distillery, etc, etc, etc.

IMHO, it's far from being "eh".

I used to have a so so feeling about SanJuan. The more we went there (either as a stop or as a homeport) the more we came to really appreciate it. It culminated when a local driver we have used in CT who is from there, happened to be there and he took us on a private tour. It was a fantastic day and now it is one of our favorite ports. The only thing it is a little lacking in is really good beaches which they have but are a ways from the cruise port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Been on both ships as well. Both sailed from New York area in the winter. One MAJOR plus of the Splendor is the retractable roof over the pool so you can swim in the cold weather on the way down. I also found that the Explorer shows her age much more than the Splendor. I liked the buffet foods on the Splendor, but the shows on the Explorer are obviously much better quality. The Explorer is much more of a relaxing ship (spent 12 days on her) and the Splendor always have something going on (hence the FunShip designation). The Splendor room also felt bigger to me, but that might just be the category, and it also has some awesome "secret decks" to watch docking or just view the ocean. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...