most likely a dumb question

SuperGrace2002

In the early 90's Southern California was horribly invaded by the Mediterrean Fruit Fly. Vector Control couldn't contain them. We had restrictions on moving backyard fruit.

It got so bad that whole swaths of Greater Los Angeles was infected. Vectrol Control decided that Malathion was the best way to get rid of these flies.

The best was to disperse Malathion was thru cropdusters, over residential neighborhoods. Had to take in all outdoor animals (no idea what the horseownwers did), take in all outdoor things, cover what couldn't be taken inside. (I got real good at wrapping the swingset.) The next morning we had to unwrap and wash anything the kids could touch.

Had to do this at least three times, maybe more.

Oh, it was summer, in SoCal. Couldn't use the air conditioner as they didn't want outside air, with the Malathion, coming into the houses.

Now that's funny.

I won't say Malathion is good for you, but I do think we have gotten carried away with fear of insect control chemicals. In the 50's in the South, Malathion fog trucks were a weekly ritual in every neighborhood in the summer. It was far far better than the widespread Malaria that it helped prevent. Not only did our parents not bring anything in (or wrap our outdoor play equipment), we kids took great delight in running behind the truck to be enveloped in the fog.

I'm still here.

Malathion is relatively heavy. It wouldn't have reached your backyard swing set or your dog chained to the backyard tree on a still night.

We were sprayed by crop dusters -- airplanes and helicopters. A very different scenario.

Soon it will not be necessary. We are in a severe drought and are on water rationing.

Expect produce prices to continue to rise.

I am planning my second cruise.

On my first cruise I think I spent most my money in ports on lunches - when I could have just gotten back on the boat, this time around hoping to spend less on food, when I already paid for food on the cruise.

So my question, well guess its a two part question: Can we bring snacks on the boat & if so could we bring snacks with us into ports?

Cruise I am looking at Ports in, St Kitts, St Marrten, PR, Grand Turk.

Thanks for any input.

We always bring a small soft cooler from 31 and pack supplies..to make a small lunch from the buffet...when we are heading to the beach

We always bring a small soft cooler from 31 and pack supplies..to make a small lunch from the buffet...when we are heading to the beach

You are joking? Which part of you can't take food off the ship other than pre-packaged, sealed foods wasn't clear? There are big signs posted at the exits with trash bins below to dump open food and drinks.

You are joking? Which part of you can't take food off the ship other than pre-packaged, sealed foods wasn't clear? There are big signs posted at the exits with trash bins below to dump open food and drinks.

While I completely agree with you.....as a sidebar, does that apply to the private islands as well (such as HMC)? I'm asking not because I would think about doing it but I just simply don't remember if they had the signs out for HMC.

HMC does not support a huge ecosystem. What there is/was has been fouled over many, many years of human stupidity. Way before HAL bought it.

No need to bring your own food off the ship as HAL and Carnival do it for you.

HMC does not support a huge ecosystem. What there is/was has been fouled over many, many years of human stupidity. Way before HAL bought it.

No need to bring your own food off the ship as HAL and Carnival do it for you.

Yes, I know they have the buffet from 1130-1330. I mainly asked because the person did not state which beach they supposedly took their soft cooler full of food to. A beach on a normal island would be a no-no. HMC, maybe not so much. And again, I don't remember if there were any signs at HMC to not carry food off the ship. I know they have signs for any normal port.

I am thinking the puppies in Cozumel were more for drugs than food. But no matter where you go, what island, town or port, there will be food, you just have to get over your fears and choose intelligently what you will try.:)

but, I usually try to be back on the ship for lunch-as I paid for it !:D

I typically take beef jerky, peanut butter and cheese crackers, Special K bars, and Fruit Roll Ups (for real hypoglycemia or irritable kids). I bring Vitamin C candies and sugar free Werther's or other sugar free candies to keep my kids busy and quiet or to quiet a cough, especially during the shows, waiting for dinner to arrive, on tour buses, etc.

When we were in Hilo, we stopped at a grocery store and got a veggie tray and a sub sandwich to split while we drove a rental from one attraction to another. A lot of ports have Walmarts, or other groceries, nearby, but I don't want to waste time shopping during our limited time off the ship (if you are disciplined and just go in for healthy snacks and cheap souvenirs you will be fine).

When we flew, I carried a gallon bag of treats for the plane rides and time in the airports and cabs, and other bags filled with goodies for our port days (packed in our suitcases).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Beside the point, and I'm sorry, but this kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I don't have fake hypoglycemia. I have to eat frequent, protein-containing (slow-burning), non-sugary meals throughout the day to prevent hypoglycemic attacks (during which I have seized and fainted several times in my life). I suppose you are talking about using a sugary snack like Fruit Roll-Ups to treat a hypoglycemic attack once it is already in progress - and that is why you used the word "real" to qualify hypoglycemia in your post? And not that you were implying that the only previously mentioned hypoglycemia (mine:o;)) in this thread was not "real" just because the opposite type of food was mentioned in relation to it?:confused::o

Sorry about the tangent. This just seemed like a jab of sorts at me. And I apologize if I misinterpreted it. As well as being hypoglycemic, I've been known to be occasionally hypersensitive.:o

Beside the point, and I'm sorry, but this kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I don't have fake hypoglycemia. I have to eat frequent, protein-containing (slow-burning), non-sugary meals throughout the day to prevent hypoglycemic attacks (during which I have seized and fainted several times in my life). I suppose you are talking about using a sugary snack like Fruit Roll-Ups to treat a hypoglycemic attack once it is already in progress - and that is why you used the word "real" to qualify hypoglycemia in your post? And not that you were implying that the only previously mentioned hypoglycemia (mine:o;)) in this thread was not "real" just because the opposite type of food was mentioned in relation to it?:confused::o

Sorry about the tangent. This just seemed like a jab of sorts at me. And I apologize if I misinterpreted it. As well as being hypoglycemic, I've been known to be occasionally hypersensitive.:o

Hi, I always tell myself when I am being sensitive about someone's comments that they are relating their own experience, which is what I was doing here. When my kids get low blood sugars they can get really antsy so I need to give them something fast-acting AND protein for long term results. Sorry, meant nothing personal to you. Glad you said something, better not to be thinking about it and letting it bother you. Your approach is definitely preferred; with kids it's hard to get them to eat regular meals sometimes, especially traveling thru time zones, eating new foods, etc.

Hi, I always tell myself when I am being sensitive about someone's comments that they are relating their own experience, which is what I was doing here. When my kids get low blood sugars they can get really antsy so I need to give them something fast-acting AND protein for long term results. Sorry, meant nothing personal to you. Glad you said something, better not to be thinking about it and letting it bother you. Your approach is definitely preferred; with kids it's hard to get them to eat regular meals sometimes, especially traveling thru time zones, eating new foods, etc.

Thank you.:)

I am thinking the puppies in Cozumel were more for drugs than food. But no matter where you go, what island, town or port, there will be food, you just have to get over your fears and choose intelligently what you will try.:)

but, I usually try to be back on the ship for lunch-as I paid for it !:D

The dogs were present as we were leaving the ship in the morning, not when we were returning in the afternoon.

You do realize that rueben sandwich with extra thousand island dressing will do more damage than Chernobyl?

What's with you people!

[quote name='Terre']I said was in Hawaii.[/QUOTE]

As an FYI, there are cruises that go to/through Hawaii other than the POA. ;)

Since the POA cruises do not leave Hawaii and get all of their product from Hawaii, they most likely have more lax rules than ships cruising from other ports passing through Hawaii.