How to Convince People Carnival isn't a "Drunk Fest"

MrBanana1240

I have never really tried to convince anyone that Carnival is not what it has widely reported to be by some (who have never set foot on a Carnival ship), but at times have been asked by some who cant understand or imagine why I would venture in said "waters". I just tell them, that they just cant know what a Carnival cruise is like until they have tried one.

I still get that look from some when I say I have another one booked. I know they think I am crazy, but, I said it before and I will say it again. I just don't give a good rip anymore what anyone thinks. I am going, and I am going to have yet another great cruise!

When you price your cruise they way carnival does of course your going to get a different class of people. Not to say that all of carnivals cruisers have no class because that is far from the truth.

But truth be told there is more drinking being done on a carnival ship then most other lines.

Just curious- given your statement, what is the median income of Carnival cruisers.-this is not directed at you. I agree that people do have that perception of Carnival cruisers but I don 't agree that the assumption is correct. Also makes me wonder if Carnival cruisers are happier in their daily life when compared to other cruiseline customers. Any sociology majors looking to do a study on subcultures?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay, I'll consider it. They do want to go with me, but I'm looking for reviews or stories or pictures to show them carnival isn't a cheap line. The atrium and the pictures of St.John, USVI got one, and the rating of people who loved the cruise got another. There's still other people.

But you are all right, if something does go wrong, it's my fault. I'll feel horrible, and I know our friendship will be effected it we miss Grand Turk, get stuck in a hurricane, liqueur falls off the shelves and shatters (oh god, enchantment of the seas all over again) and we get a wait or who doesn't speak amazing English.

Now that I think of it, I should try to just enjoy my vacation and if they come, they're doing it on their own volition and accord.

But it does bring up a valid point: people all around think carnival is cheap and bad, and that Royal Caribbean is the best line out there, but honestly, there's more room for me onboard if they don't go so I don't mind (:

Happy cruising everyone! I've been on the Glory for 12 nights combined between 2 cruises, with these 7 booked, and in 2015 our final two options are the Valor or the Glory. You can say I love the Glory .(:

Thanks!

There was a good thread a few months ago comparing Carnival to HAL. Sorry I can't remember poster's name. Your friends may find it informative. For what its worth, my ex-husband and I sailead HAL on several occasions in a Neptune Suite. Lovely cruises! In March of this year I sailed with a friend on Carnival Breeze 6 day Western Carribean in an Ocean Suite. Service was comparable, food was as good or better and did not encounter any problems with rowdy drunken passengers. I did miss the classical strings performing after dinner but in no way shape or form did I feel like I was "slumming " on Carnival.

Thou there are some mighty fine folks that cruise carnival. If you charge walmart prices your going to get walmart shoppers on your cruise line.

ATTENTION WALMART SHOPPERS!!!!! I have done a little comparison shopping. March 2015 Eastern Carribean 8 day Ocean Suite on CCl is $1919pp. HAL 7 day Eastern Carribean Superior Suite for $1899pp. That's only $34 per day price difference. In my book that's not Walmart vs Neiman's.

There was a good thread a few months ago comparing Carnival to HAL. Sorry I can't remember poster's name. Your friends may find it informative. For what its worth, my ex-husband and I sailead HAL on several occasions in a Neptune Suite. Lovely cruises! In March of this year I sailed with a friend on Carnival Breeze 6 day Western Carribean in an Ocean Suite. Service was comparable, food was as good or better and did not encounter any problems with rowdy drunken passengers. I did miss the classical strings performing after dinner but in no way shape or form did I feel like I was "slumming " on Carnival.

Our 1st 2 cruises were on Celebrity with their white glove treatment. We next went Carnival, and except for a 10 dayer on MSC, it's been Carnival ever since. You don't need to "pretend" who you are. If someone is tipsy, then move. We don't know what stressors are in their lives.

Pine if that's the video you are talking about you're slipping. Millions cruise Carnival every year and that one video speaks volumes to you?

You know how on some TV shows there's a graphic with a deep voiceover that says "The following segment contains images of a disturbing (or violent or sexual) nature and may not be appropriate for all viewers. Viewer discretion is advised" ?

This announcement is made because there are many people, and Pine may possibly be one of them, who actually will turn the dial because they have a very low threshold for viewing something on TV (or video) without getting highly agitated or upset regardless of whether the subject was real or fiction.

I think the Drunk Girl / Man In Pool video was a bit out of his comfort zone and he processed this abhorrent incident as typical, daily poolside behavior aboard cruise ships.

ATTENTION WALMART SHOPPERS!!!!! I have done a little comparison shopping. March 2015 Eastern Carribean 8 day Ocean Suite on CCl is $1919pp. HAL 7 day Eastern Carribean Superior Suite for $1899pp. That's only $34 per day price difference. In my book that's not Walmart vs Neiman's.

I don't know what kind of cabin prices you are quoting but they sure aren't IN or PT cabins!!! :eek:

But this is why I am loyal to no cruise line. I look for the best price and itinerary and that is why I have sailed 5 different lines. But over half have been on Carnival specifically because they are usually the lowest price around.

This video? DRUNK GIRL THROWS MAN IN POOL:

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

HAHAHA!!! That was funny. Thanks for posting. Don't see show she "got" him. He lost his balance while trying to keep her from falling. I guess it would have been easier to just push her down the stairs and then collect the heap at the bottom without him getting wet but some folks probably would have been upset by that.

Based on some of her actions, maybe she wasn't drunk but just in the mood for love? :D

Edited by Out to sea!

This video? DRUNK GIRL THROWS MAN IN POOL:

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

She didn't throw anyone in the pool she was looking for a date. Lol great video.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've never cruised Carnival but my mother in law does. She is very Christian and conservative, doesn't drink at all.... And she took her family and loved it! So that tells me something...

On the other hand last time I sailed Royal a passenger was telling me he sailed Carnival once and they had to drain the pool from someone throwing up in it. He said it was a drunken party. Then years later he tried again at the encouragement of friends and he said he did not even bother finishing the cruise, he stayed at Port and got a plane back to get them off the ship at disembarkment.

I don't think my mother in law would ever sail Carnival if her experience was like that, so it really is all in what cruise you happen to get I think... I would be willing to try Carnival, personally. It's silly to not try it to see for yourself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

In the legal world what you describe is hearsay.

I love the comparison people make to Walmart. I guess they think they are better people because they don't shop at Walmart. As spending more money to purchase the EXACT same food items from the same manufactures somehow makes you more classy or dignified? I say it makes you stupid. If you went into your chosen store and they had the same item duplicated on the shelf with one priced 30% more than the other which one would you buy? Of course there is a sign under the more expensive item stating that you would be a better person if you spent more money...

Our household income is high enough that we can cruise 3 or 4 times a year. We have cruised RCCL, NCL, Celebrity and Carnival. We prefer Carnival. So what. It's our money and our choice. We liked Royal also.. but there were too many times when we heard disgust in the voices of others when they found out that we sail on Carnival. Really? A few posts back said it best- "Having money does not equate to having class"

I don't know what kind of cabin prices you are quoting but they sure aren't IN or PT cabins!!! :eek:

But this is why I am loyal to no cruise line. I look for the best price and itinerary and that is why I have sailed 5 different lines. But over half have been on Carnival specifically because they are usually the lowest price around.

I compared CCL Ocean Suites to HAL Superior Suites. I've stayed in both so had a basis for comparison. Thought this would be a fair "apples to apples" way to look at it. I'm with you on looking at price and itinerary. But when shopping I generally check HAL and CCL first. That's where the loyalty programs figure into the equation.

Ok, yes I have seen drunk folk on Carnival.

Not the majority of people, but the occasional drunk.

When my daughters were on Royal Caribbean with their aunt and grandfather the people across the hall from them stayed drunk most of the time, according to the girls. One woman really disgusted my daughter after she puked in the hall and walked off. My daughter left a note on the woman's door telling her that she was the "nastiest old person" she had ever seen.

But then I have also seen drunk folk in WDW resorts and I have never heard of WDW being called a drunk fest.

When you price your cruise they way carnival does of course your going to get a different class of people. Not to say that all of carnivals cruisers have no class because that is far from the truth.

But truth be told there is more drinking being done on a carnival ship then most other lines.

I have seen just as much drinking on our Disney and NCL cruises when compared to Carnival.

I love the comparison people make to Walmart. I guess they think they are better people because they don't shop at Walmart. As spending more money to purchase the EXACT same food items from the same manufactures somehow makes you more classy or dignified? I say it makes you stupid. If you went into your chosen store and they had the same item duplicated on the shelf with one priced 30% more than the other which one would you buy? Of course there is a sign under the more expensive item stating that you would be a better person if you spent more money...

Our household income is high enough that we can cruise 3 or 4 times a year. We have cruised RCCL, NCL, Celebrity and Carnival. We prefer Carnival. So what. It's our money and our choice. We liked Royal also.. but there were too many times when we heard disgust in the voices of others when they found out that we sail on Carnival. Really? A few posts back said it best- "Having money does not equate to having class"

At the same time, you are stating that Walmart is not a destination for quality, but a destination of price. Yes, there are thing they sell that you could buy somewhere else for 18% higher, but the majority of thing they sell is inferior junk, that people buy based on low price.

I bet this is asked and answered multiple times, but my response is "Don't". If you try to convince people to like Carnival (or anything else they're inclined to dislike for whatever reason), even if you talk them into it they're going to find fault with it and blame you.

I love Carnival, and have enjoyed 11 cruises on them so far. My friends are mostly "loyal Royals", and when they make uninformed negative comments about Carnival I just smile and nod. It's not my business to do carnival's marketing for them.

I will never understand why people get defensive about their selection of cruise line or worry about which one others like to sail.

Edited by gtalum

I've been wanted to cruise with my friends for a while, and we never really pursued it until now. They asked what ship I was going on in November, and I said "Carnival --" and I couldn't even say Glory before they said no. They think it's a drunk Fest. Well, to start, it's a 7 day cruise, not a short one. Secondly, it's eastern Caribbean, and I've read that more people find the eastern Caribbean cruises more mellow, rather than the western ones, idk.

What should I say to convince them that the Glory is a great ship and it's not a drunk Fest? Or is it better for me to keep them off the Glory and onto a different ship. They've cruised Royal before.

Thanks anyone who can help me.

Maybe you could try their cruise of choice with them and then they can try your cruise of choice.

Perception is reality --- Happy sailing

At the same time, you are stating that Walmart is not a destination for quality, but a destination of price. Yes, there are thing they sell that you could buy somewhere else for 18% higher, but the majority of thing they sell is inferior junk, that people buy based on low price.

Actually, the majority of the merchandise they sell are name brand products that are sold in most department/grocery stores nationwide. The only items that Walmart sells exclusively are store brand items and bulk buys with a price point negotiated with the manufacturer.

SO true; I shop for bathing suits at Dillards and then go down the mall to Burlington and find the exact same item for 80% less. Advertisers are smart people, LOL. Now if the rest of us could be that smart....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What should I say to convince them that the Glory is a great ship and it's not a drunk Fest?

This isn't specifically about Glory, but Carnival in general...

We're gearing up for our third Carnival cruise and I tell people that I was really surprised about how much of a party cruise it wasn't (obviously, there will always be drunks).

People told me similar things, the first time.

I say, just be honest and give them your opinion.

They will either accept it, or not.

I like to point out how self-contained everything was.

I couldn't hear the night-club, twenty feet from the doors.

I couldn't hear the kids' pool, from the Serenity deck.

It really amazes me, how they keep everything so separate.

JJ

Edited by Fa310tx

Our family (eight of us, no kids) took a mid-June 4-nighter from LA on Carnival Inspiration last year. We had the parentals with us (late 50s/early 60s, good teetotaling, church going people) and everyone had a great time!

We saw one couple who stayed in their bathrobes throughout the cruise, and the hairy chest contest was a bit creepy, but that's the extent of the strangeness that we encountered.

Our default meeting place was on the Serenity deck (which lived up to it's name!); we went to trivia contests, bingo tourneys, high tea, the spa, and evening shows. We had late night pizza, early morning lattes, and are still talking about how awesome those molten lava cakes are!

Sorry to hear that your friends don't want to join you, but it's their loss and at least you'll get to do all the things that YOU want to do! :)

Ok, yes I have seen drunk folk on Carnival.

Not the majority of people, but the occasional drunk.

When my daughters were on Royal Caribbean with their aunt and grandfather the people across the hall from them stayed drunk most of the time, according to the girls. One woman really disgusted my daughter after she puked in the hall and walked off. My daughter left a note on the woman's door telling her that she was the "nastiest old person" she had ever seen.

But then I have also seen drunk folk in WDW resorts and I have never heard of WDW being called a drunk fest.

I have seen drunks at Disney as well but comparatively speaking there is a much greater percentage of people drunk on a cruise than at Disney.

I have seen drunks at Disney as well but comparatively speaking there is a much greater percentage of people drunk on a cruise than at Disney.

I am going to guess you have not been to Disney's food and wine festival. That was quite the sight. In one night we saw a fistfight, a guy with his head up his girlfriends skirt, and a couple doing Coke on the steps of Mexico. To Disney's credit they were right on top of it but it was crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums