How to Convince People Carnival isn't a "Drunk Fest"

MrBanana1240

I have seen drunks at Disney as well but comparatively speaking there is a much greater percentage of people drunk on a cruise than at Disney.

I am going to guess you have not been to Disney's food and wine festival. That was quite the sight. In one night we saw a fistfight, a guy with his head up his girlfriends skirt, and a couple doing Coke on the steps of Mexico. To Disney's credit they were right on top of it but it was crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cast Members typically avoid the Food & Wine Festival on a Friday or Saturday night. Being friends with many CMs that were deployed there for the event, they had quite the stories to share on Facebook each evening.

However, you won't find the drunkenness at Magic Kingdom. With the exception of Be Our Guest restaurant which requires a reservation 180+10 days in advance, you won't find anywhere that sells any alcoholic beverage in the park. Be Our Guest also only serves beer, so...

Edited by Disconnections

Hate to tell you it was a Thursday :)

Oh, I believe it. I was at the Boardwalk with a few Cast Members when a guest hijacked a golf cart. DSS called over some nearby Orange County sheriffs to handle it. It wasn't even a F&W night.

Edited by Disconnections

I am going to guess you have not been to Disney's food and wine festival. That was quite the sight. In one night we saw a fistfight, a guy with his head up his girlfriends skirt, and a couple doing Coke on the steps of Mexico. To Disney's credit they were right on top of it but it was crazy.

I've had annual passes for Disney for many years (including this one....BTW, heading over to the Food and Wine Fest at Epcot to see JoDee Masina next month for opening night of the fest) and seen everything that happens at Disney. As I stated, I have seen drunks at Disney but no where near as great a percentage as I see on cruise ships.

I'm guessing that I don't see as many drunks as some people do because not looking for drunks.

And I sleep at night.

I have seen a few seriously drunk folk getting back on the ship after a day in Cozumel, but I am thinking that is more of a Senor Frog sort of thing.

Being on a ship is like being on land...there are AA meetings on both if you want them. There are areas where drinking is more likely and areas where it's prohibited (I'm pretty sure you can't bring a drink into camp, at least). There is a chapel. There are bars. There will be pockets of loud sober people and pockets of loud intoxicated people. There will be non-drinkers, usually the ones with little children, but not always. You just have to wander around and see where everyone is grouping. There is always an area you can find quiet if you look for it. Vacation cruises are often celebratory cruises (birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, weddings, etc) so yes, there are going to be some great parties!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is as much an exaggeration as saying all Carnival cruises are drunkfests. Not all of the F&W festival includes roving bands of drunks.

When you price your cruise they way carnival does of course your going to get a different class of people. Not to say that all of carnivals cruisers have no class because that is far from the truth.

But truth be told there is more drinking being done on a carnival ship then most other lines.

This may be true for short weekend cruises, but not longer ones. (I've been on nearly all the main-stream lines)

The cruise line on which I, myself, personally, have been the most memorably drunk was HAL. Fairly sure I wasn't the only one.

Unlimited rum punch on excursions will do that.

Just sayin'...

Edited by srlafleur

How to convince them? Whatever you do, don't show them the Cheers thread.

Haha! Agreed!:D I have to say, I was a little afraid of "drunk fests" myself when the Cheers program was introduced, but with very few exceptions I have not found that to be the case. The vast majority of people doing the Cheers program seem to handle themselves responsibly. Or, if they don't, I am already fast asleep and haven't witnessed it myself! :p

Maybe it would help to appeal to their wallets by talking about how much more of a value a cruise on Carnival is? Show them the price differences for a comparable cruise on Carnival vs. RC.

It's a shame that people get these pre-conceived notions in their heads about how Carnival cruises are. I still get people at work saying things like "And it didn't break down and leave you stranded?" when I tell them I just returned from a cruise on Carnival, as if that happens all the time. :rolleyes:

My mom once told me that she "had no desire to go on Carnival". However, she wanted to do a cruise with my family and the itinerary we wanted and could afford was through Carnival. So, she, my dad, my husband, my son and I took a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean during Spring Break on the Carnival Glory. We had a wonderful cruise and everyone had a great time! Although it is not their favorite cruise line, they both admitted that it "wasn't as bad as they thought" and it certainly didn't fit the image they had in their mind about Carnival cruises. Our waiter was awesome (Pande) and my mom said she felt pampered in the MDR. Is Carnival their first choice for cruising? No. Will they go on a Carnival cruise again? Probably. BTW - my parents are in their 70s.

Haha! Agreed!:D I have to say, I was a little afraid of "drunk fests" myself when the Cheers program was introduced, but with very few exceptions I have not found that to be the case. The vast majority of people doing the Cheers program seem to handle themselves responsibly. Or, if they don't, I am already fast asleep and haven't witnessed it myself! :p

Maybe it would help to appeal to their wallets by talking about how much more of a value a cruise on Carnival is? Show them the price differences for a comparable cruise on Carnival vs. RC.

It's a shame that people get these pre-conceived notions in their heads about how Carnival cruises are. I still get people at work saying things like "And it didn't break down and leave you stranded?" when I tell them I just returned from a cruise on Carnival, as if that happens all the time. :rolleyes:

You are correct the guests that do the Cheers program handle themselves well I've noticed. Besides they can drink 15 drinks in one day probably because they are use to it. I could not drink 15 drinks when I was twenty years old let alone now that is because I am not use to it if I did I would have a hang over for a week. I have been on 31 cruises with CCL and I must say most of the guests behave themselves when drinking.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

I've been wanted to cruise with my friends for a while, and we never really pursued it until now. They asked what ship I was going on in November, and I said "Carnival --" and I couldn't even say Glory before they said no. They think it's a drunk Fest. Well, to start, it's a 7 day cruise, not a short one. Secondly, it's eastern Caribbean, and I've read that more people find the eastern Caribbean cruises more mellow, rather than the western ones, idk.

What should I say to convince them that the Glory is a great ship and it's not a drunk Fest? Or is it better for me to keep them off the Glory and onto a different ship. They've cruised Royal before.

Thanks anyone who can help me.

I started cruising in 2004 and took my first Carnival Cruise in 2010. I stayed away from Carnival b/c of the "party" atmosphere that people would tell me about. I don't drink (never had one in all my 40 years :p) and was worried that I would be annoyed by the young/partying crowd. I LOVE Carnival. Did not find it any different than any other cruise ship as far as age of guests, partying, etc.

You are correct the guests that do the Cheers program handle themselves well I've noticed. Besides they can drink 15 drinks in one day probably because they are use to it. I could not drink 15 drinks when I was twenty years old let alone now that is because I am not use to it if I did I would have a hang over for a week. I have been on 31 cruises with CCL and I must say most of the guests behave themselves when drinking.

Gary

Most people who use cheers don't even drink 15 drinks a day. I would say most in my experience drink to the break even point which is about six a day. Spread that over a sea day and that would explain why you don't see a bunch of drink people. It just helps with budgeting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by JLee1973

My wife and I have been on 33 Carnival cruises. I have seen many drunk people but I have rarely seen any over- the-top behavior. Spring Breakers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, Halloween...I've been onboard for all of them. And each time everyone behaves fine. You can search YouTube and see some suspect behavior, but in my cruising experience it hasn't happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey Mr Banana,

I'd ignore these people telling you not to invite your friends. Only you know them and their sensibilities. How easily are they offended, and how do they roll with the punches?

Will one drunk dude be completely off putting, or are they used to going to pretty much anywhere alcohol is served.. baseball games, the county fair, LDL's family reunions, etc. and seeing a couple of intoxicated people? If they can't, then maybe Carnival isn't for them. Or heck anything in the Caribbean for that matter.

If they aren't easily offended, use your head and give them the facts you already know. This cruise you're going on is probably not going to be spring break in Cancun. But I think you already knew that. :-D

Answer how easily they're offended, and you already know what to do.

Edited by lido deck larry

I've been wanted to cruise with my friends for a while, and we never really pursued it until now. They asked what ship I was going on in November, and I said "Carnival --" and I couldn't even say Glory before they said no. They think it's a drunk Fest. Well, to start, it's a 7 day cruise, not a short one. Secondly, it's eastern Caribbean, and I've read that more people find the eastern Caribbean cruises more mellow, rather than the western ones, idk.

What should I say to convince them that the Glory is a great ship and it's not a drunk Fest? Or is it better for me to keep them off the Glory and onto a different ship. They've cruised Royal before.

Thanks anyone who can help me.

Possibly when 50-something men quit getting drunk and twerking on teenage boys and 20-something girls...at the same time...at the LIDO pool. I was just on a cruise and saw this. Before this I've seen older ladies getting drunk and dancing "with" the palm trees on the lido deck of the Fascination. I've also seen drunk women being literally dragged back to their cabin.

I love Carnival; but it's things like this going on that give people this idea.

I will admit I was told by people I wouldn't like Carnival after sailing Royal. I didn't cruise for years and last year decided I wanted to cruise again. Couldn't beat Carnivals prices so I booked it expecting a party boat. I had more fun then any other cruise and realistically couldn't see myself cruising with any other line.

There was the occasional person especially one guy coming back from Cabo who over indulged in port and a few woman who wanted to fight on Serenity after Cabo but you put 2400 people on a boat it is going to happen no matter what line you cruise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I went on RCCL for the first time this year; and in a Junior Suite, to boot. I still love Carnival and just got off of one. I also have one of each planned over the next 6 months.

Edited by Alwaysacruiseinthequeue