How to Convince People Carnival isn't a "Drunk Fest"

MrBanana1240

We have been on 13 Carnival cruises. With the exception of two all have been seven days or longer. Our third cruise was three days on the Paradise when it was still on the west coast. Had that been our first cruise we would never had sailed on Carnival again. There were many people who had too much to drink, were loud and obnoxious and were loud in the hallways well into the early morning hours. We have yet to find this type behavior on longer cruises. Drunk people absolutely, but a small minority. We also cruise on HAL and see drunk people on their ships. We don't try to convince people to sail on Carnival, we just tell them our experiences. However, we never recommend three day cruises. For us Carnival is fun, full of energy and family friendly. When we want a quiet, relaxing cruise it's off to HAL. I do miss the water slide (DW not so much) and all the outside activities that HAL doesn't offer but Carnival does. Bottom line, you will find drunk people on all cruise lines if you look for them. We're too busy enjoying our vacation to waste time looking for what is "wrong" with any cruise.

Just show them my signature. When we are in the mood for something light-hearted, Carnival is the way to go. Princess and Celebrity are a little more staid and quiet. Both have their moments in your life!

Do your friends know you well?

And do they think that you would enjoy an Animal House Cruise?

Do your friends think you are a drunk or just stupid?

Just saying...

If it helps I have been on Glory.

It was not a drunk fest.

This is the part that kills me. I have had people tell me "Oh, I would NEVER sail Carnival. Those are just party ships. " and these are people who have never been on a cruise at all. We have family that think Carnival is a low class, trashy line. I'm like, "gee, thanks for that." it's pretty insulting, really. But whatever, their loss. I like Carnival's food and service better, the cabins are way bigger and they are often more affordable than other lines on comparable itineraries.

I know many people like that. They "heard" Carnival was like that. Well, back in the day Carnival did that that reputation but that has been long gone. I always say I'm going to try another line, but when I see the price difference I don't. I've been on NCL and Princess. I liked them both but the prices are so much more affordable on Carnival.

I think the short cruises do tend to be a bit more of a party atmosphere.

If they have that assumption in their mind before hand they it may be hard for them to have an open mind once they are on the cruise.

We first cruised Carnival our second cruise RCCL with kids both times. We thought the RCCL was more of a party ship. Haven't left Carnival since.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Happens on all cruise lines.

One of the comments, cause we all know the comments are the best part! LOL

EVERYONE knows those short cruises are booze cruises. Never been on a week or more cruise that had that type of party atmosphere on Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean is nothing like cheap 3-4 day cruises on Carnival. This report is purposely trying to prove a point. If they went on a week+ cruise! they would not have found this type of party scene.

I've been wanted to cruise with my friends for a while, and we never really pursued it until now. They asked what ship I was going on in November, and I said "Carnival --" and I couldn't even say Glory before they said no. They think it's a drunk Fest. Well, to start, it's a 7 day cruise, not a short one. Secondly, it's eastern Caribbean, and I've read that more people find the eastern Caribbean cruises more mellow, rather than the western ones, idk.

What should I say to convince them that the Glory is a great ship and it's not a drunk Fest? Or is it better for me to keep them off the Glory and onto a different ship. They've cruised Royal before.

Thanks anyone who can help me.

If they've done Royal before, all they will do is compare everything, telling you how much better it is on Royal, and ruin your trip. Best compromise, or go on Royal.

I convinced cousins to come with us about 10 years ago. Some never cruised before, and 2 had gone on Royal. Those 2 complained about everything, how better everything was on Royal, and laughed that we cruised Carnival.

We eventually cruised Royal 2 years later and saw what they were talking about.

There are a lot of people who are very rigid in their likes and dislikes.

Just think of how many people will only drink one kind of soft drink, always use one brand of detergent, one brand of tennis shoes, drive only one make of car, or whatever.

And not because they have tried other brands or types, but because they are convinced that their "superior" brand somehow shows that they are "superior" and discerning people.

Some people cannot handle change.

Things have to be as they expected or they are not happy.

Some people define their own value by what they buy.

And the truth is that you can't buy class.

Edited by mzloolue

Inside Edition did a documentary on Booze Cruise. Have your friend google Inside Edition on that, also on YouTube but it's not CCL they're talking about.

Time of the year, duration of cruise matters for the lines.

When someone makes fun of me for booking a "drunken" Carnival cruise, I always ask them "When was the last time you were on a Carnival ship...?"

Most of them say, "Never."

To which I respond, "Then how do you know what it's like to sail on Carnival? Judge much?"

So frustrating!

CeleBrat

Now that Carnival made Cheers more affordable a lot more will jump on that drunken bandwagon :eek:

Just pace yourself and enjoy your drinks as you normally have on your past cruises and you should be fine. Plus you'll have a lower S&S bill at the end!!

When you price your cruise they way carnival does of course your going to get a different class of people. Not to say that all of carnivals cruisers have no class because that is far from the truth.

But truth be told there is more drinking being done on a carnival ship then most other lines.

When you price your cruise they way carnival does of course your going to get a different class of people. Not to say that all of carnivals cruisers have no class because that is far from the truth.

But truth be told there is more drinking being done on a carnival ship then most other lines.

Money does not equate class...

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Just pace yourself and enjoy your drinks as you normally have on your past cruises and you should be fine. Plus you'll have a lower S&S bill at the end!!

Ok, try telling that to all who are buying the Cheers alcohol package.:D:D

They need to probably stick to Royal. I would not even try to convince them. That being said, last cruise we hung out, as always, for the day with Ian whose family runs the tiki bar at Junkanoo beach in Nassau. We weren't getting super drunk but Ian always sets us up with good libations.;)

There was another family hanging out too and we were all having fun for a few hours, when it was time to go, the wife was sooo disappointed to find out we were on CCL, she was ready to hang out with us for the duration of the cruise but she was on Royal and made the statement no one aboard was having this good a time. Pretty sure I convinced her to book CCL for the next cruise, lol. :p

Edited by keystonemama

From personal experience:

Three and four days out of Florida, especially Thursday and Friday departures, you are quite likely to see groups of 20-somethings hitting it hard. They'd hit it at home ,but here no worries about driving.

Five to eight days or more, not so much.

I don't always drink, but when I do, I manage to keep quiet, lol.