Quantum: No Royal Prom

We could get into quite a complex debate about what is a “Royal Prom” and what is not.

Quantum’s (whatever it is called) will certainly be different to those on-board the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships.

Quantum’s may not have the scale (length, width and height) I associate with their other “Royal Proms”. It also does not appear to be constructed in a straight line. It does not have cabins overlooking it.

Many mega-ships have a corridor passing through the centre, with retail, bars and dining either side. NCL’s Epic and Breakaway ships do, for example. However I would not call them “Royal Proms”.

Whatever Quantum's is called I don’t think it is really a “Royal Prom” as such. Others will disagree.;)

In the end the Royal Promenade is whatever venue they put the name on. IMO the same debate could be had over if Oasis really has a Royal Promenade as it really is not like the Voyager class. It has a lower ceiling, two levels, stands in the middle, and a curvy route. Quantum's sounds more like Oasis's than Voyager's.

I agree, one of the key things to notice is that the picture you posted is wide enough for people to easily pass through but not much more. The cut away for Quantum shows lounge furniture setup through the middle of the Promenade area. That does not seem possible at the width of the Solstice's.

However when the show let's out, and when celebrity has tables set up to sell merchandise- you have a very difficult time walking in that area- people coming from two directions and tables makes it a mob scene.

Whatever Quantum's is called I don’t think it is really a “Royal Prom” as such. Others will disagree.;)

I'm one who disagrees. What is a Royal Promenade? It's a walkway with shops, restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues and QUANTUM will certainly have this. Just because it doesn't have cabins looking down on it won't make it any less of a Royal Promenade. It will be different yes, but serve exactly the same purpose.

Royal Caribbean certainly didn't event the interior promenade lined with entertainment venues although they definitely coined the phrase. This concept can be traced back to ocean liners of the past and more recently ships like NORWAY which had two such promenades down each side of the ship. European ferries came up with the idea of one double-wide interior promenade down one side of the ship, and Carnival took the concept and ran away with it. They have had the concept of a "Royal Promenade" before Royal Caribbean even coined the phrase starting with their second new build ever the HOLIDAY. Even the actual Royal Promenade as "invented" by RCI with the Voyager Class is not actually Royal Caribbean's idea. The ferry SILJA SERENADE had the first modern-day multi-height center-ship promenade with cabins looking down on it. Royal Caribbean simply borrowed the concept, expanded upon, and coined the phrase.

So yes plenty of other ships have their own version of a "Royal Promenade" and QUANTUM will have her version as well. I don't think it makes it any less deserving of the name or the concept behind the name.

Attached is a pic of the interior promenade of SILJA SERENADE which made its debut almost 10 years prior to VOYAGER OF THE SEAS.

14989838481_6af0b4b6a2_z.jpg

Edited by eroller

I'm one who disagrees. What is a Royal Promenade? It's a walkway with shops, restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues and QUANTUM will certainly have this. Just because it doesn't have cabins looking down on it won't make it any less of a Royal Promenade. It will be different yes, but serve exactly the same purpose.

Royal Caribbean certainly didn't event the interior promenade lined with entertainment venues although they definitely coined the phrase. This concept can be traced back to ocean liners of the past and more recently ships like NORWAY which had two such promenades down each side of the ship. European ferries came up with the idea of one double-wide interior promenade down one side of the ship, and Carnival took the concept and ran away with it. They have had the concept of a "Royal Promenade" before Royal Caribbean even coined the phrase starting with their second new build ever the HOLIDAY. Even the actual Royal Promenade as "invented" by RCI with the Voyager Class is not actually Royal Caribbean's idea. The ferry SILJA SERENADE had the first modern-day multi-height center-ship promenade with cabins looking down on it. Royal Caribbean simply borrowed the concept, expanded upon, and coined the phrase.

So yes plenty of other ships have their own version of a "Royal Promenade" and QUANTUM will have her version as well. I don't think it makes it any less deserving of the name or the concept behind the name.

Attached is a pic of the interior promenade of SILJA SERENADE which made its debut almost 10 years prior to VOYAGER OF THE SEAS.

14989838481_6af0b4b6a2_z.jpg

The image doesn't show, but the SILJA SERENADE promenade is cool to see for the first time when you've never heard of it. At that time harry kulovaara was the President and COO for that line and over saw the development and construction of that design. He then left for Royal Caribbean and led the building of the Voyager Class.

The image doesn't show, but the SILJA SERENADE promenade is cool to see for the first time when you've never heard of it. At that time harry kulovaara was the President and COO for that line and over saw the development and construction of that design. He then left for Royal Caribbean and led the building of the Voyager Class.

I reposted the image. Not sure why the original link went bad as the image showed when I first posted the message.

Yes I knew that about Kulovaara. Of course he is overseeing TUI's new build project as well which is why many Royal Caribbean/Celebrity elements can be seen in MEIN SCHIFF 3.

I reposted the image. Not sure why the original link went bad as the image showed when I first posted the message.

Yes I knew that about Kulovaara. Of course he is overseeing TUI's new build project as well which is why many Royal Caribbean/Celebrity elements can be seen in MEIN SCHIFF 3.

Didn't know that. Is he at the top level responsible for all the different brands (Royal, Celebrity, TUI, etc) or just Royal?

Didn't know that. Is he at the top level responsible for all the different brands (Royal, Celebrity, TUI, etc) or just Royal?

Good question and I'm not quite sure. I believe his title is Executive Vice President Marine, Royal Caribbean. I'm thinking Royal Caribbean the corporation and not the brand, so he probably oversees all new builds under the corporate umbrella which would include TUI. I read quite a bit about MEIN SCHIFF 3. It's an amazing ship but hasn't received much attention here because it's not catering to North Americans. Harri Kulovaara is mentioned often when the design of the ship is discussed. Apparently he had a lot of involvement with MEIN SCHIFF 3 and is quite proud of it based on my readings. He has sort of become the Royal Caribbean equivalent of Joe Farcus to Carnival Corp.

Well, we got to see a glimpse of the Quantum's Promenade/Esplanade in today's reveal. look great so far.

b1556fded604ed0df08192ece3926af3.jpg

Photo by Royal Caribbean International from August 25 2014 Quantum of the Seas reveal.

Edited by Lloyd555

Well, we got to see a glimpse of the Quantum's Promenade/Esplanade in today's reveal. look great so far.

Photo by Royal Caribbean International from August 25 2014 Quantum of the Seas reveal.

Thanks for the excellent photo! Looks very "Royal Promenade-ish" to me. I'm surprised at the height. I expected a lower height for some reason. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I have to say that is the single most exciting piece of art on the ship IMO. Based on what they've said and shown it is a giant LED screen that is interactive in some way. I remember, I think it was Liberty, that had a light art piece in the one atrium that would change based on movement around it. Wonder if this is the same way and can also be controlled for parties in that space.

I have to say that is the single most exciting piece of art on the ship IMO. Based on what they've said and shown it is a giant LED screen that is interactive in some way. I remember, I think it was Liberty, that had a light art piece in the one atrium that would change based on movement around it. Wonder if this is the same way and can also be controlled for parties in that space.

I love it too, and I'm sure it will be themed to the different events that happen in the Royal Promenade or whatever it will be called. Who knows what other surprises are in store!!??

Many mega-ships have a corridor passing through the centre, with retail, bars and dining either side. NCL’s Epic and Breakaway ships do, for example. However I would not call them “Royal Proms”.

I totally agree. I think it will end up like the 678 of the Breakaway. It makes sense. They are both winterized ships made to home port in the NY/NJ area. That set up allows for easy access to the bars and restaurants while having lots of interior spaces for activities, regardless of the weather. I just hope the QoS has a better shopping set up than the Breakaway, IMO.

I totally agree. I think it will end up like the 678 of the Breakaway. It makes sense. They are both winterized ships made to home port in the NY/NJ area. That set up allows for easy access to the bars and restaurants while having lots of interior spaces for activities, regardless of the weather. I just hope the QoS has a better shopping set up than the Breakaway, IMO.

Basically what you mentioned is NCL's version of a "Royal Promenade". Same concept & objective, different execution. One major difference is that NCL's version is single height and more closed in feeling. There is only a small opening (3 level atrium) in the center. On Royal Caribbean the Royal Promenade is a more active and utilized space with parades, dance parties, etc. Even though QUANTUM's will be different than other RCI ships, I think it will serve the same purpose and be just as active with the parades, parties, special events, etc and still be the central core of the ship just as its always been.

So many good photos of the multi-levelled Promenade.

0c7c812204d19e975524c441790d96b0.jpg

17eaa79b2148cb99845f0ac6a2ef8043.jpg

51507cff28a1409f1d6fbb5e02c741e2.jpg

620173985fa426649b1a275ea3821961.jpg

98de1a92b369d4422c3aa01e30a615b6.jpg

08917c4d1f256db67cae67ce8a24b935.jpg

The more of these pictures I see the more convinced I am that the deck six hallway is open to the promenade. The pictures that show the slotted/scalloped decor at the top level look like they are designed to look through. That would be a really cool design feature.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The more of these pictures I see the more convinced I am that the deck six hallway is open to the promenade. The pictures that show the slotted/scalloped decor at the top level look like they are designed to look through. That would be a really cool design feature.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That would be a cool feature and I see what you're saying, but I don't think so. If you look very closely at those panels at the very top of the atrium, I believe there is a solid reflective wall behind them. You can see the reflection of the light fixtures in the top of the atrium. They do give the appearance of depth though, which I'm sure is exactly what they are designed to do. Make the space look more open and larger than it really is. I responded on another thread about this, and I believe the interior space on Deck 6 is one of the large air conditioning plants for the ship.

I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong on this as I think what you describe would be an awesome feature! I just don't think it is. :(

The Esplanade looks very much like Oasis when looking towards the Boardwalk end. All of her parties were also very heavily focused on the end (when I sailed 1/2/10) rather than the middle like the Voyager/Freedom class so it's probably about the same amount of space that they would use. I noticed the standard Promenade lights all along the top so they are planning to do something and that LED art piece is just dyeing to be integrated into something.