Post-Cruise Charge Disputes with NCL... Not Fun or Professional

mcsb11

Perhaps, Im just different in this regard, if I were grateful, I would be patient and appreciative after all no on at NCL corporate is telling him they refuse the refund they promised but there is a miscommunication or mistake or lag in the accounting department.

Were you with the OP on the ship? If, not how would you know who or how many times he asked crew members? Also, this is a question I have asked many times, I was wondering what representative of NCL stated wine from the machines were included in the UBP? Can you confirm? Or are you going by what others post? Again, I have been around these boards for a while and while they can be very helpful and I have met many new friends here l they are not always accurate..

I agree this does not constitute stealing and it was another poster who called it stealing not the original poster…

No I was not on the cruise with the OP. As someone else has pointed out they asked via telephone prior to the cruise specifically about the wine dispensers and were told yes they were included. They asked again once on the ship and again were told yes they were included. You can read this yourself in the OP's original post.

As it goes against Cruise Critic rules to recommend/post a specific PCC I cannot give you anyone's name. And for the record I make my reservations through CAS. But if you google; Norwegian Personal Cruise Consultant -- you should come up a list. The first entry is an ad and then the other results. The fifth one down is for a PCC's Facebook page where on August 17th a picture of the wine station and these words;

Norwegian has all the wine lovers covered with these cool wine stations!

For those of you interested in our All-Inclusive deal, our wine stations are included in the Ultimate Beverage Package!

I do not know how much clearer it could be. If this is false information than NCL needs to have it corrected and insure their employees are not posting erroneous information.

If the wine stations are only included with the UBP when purchased with the All-Inclusive Package.....then this is confusing and needs to be addressed.

You have been very lucky to not have had any issues with a cruise line. I myself recently had an issue (with another line) -- it has been three months and although mostly resolved there is still much that needs to be answered. It should not take forever to deal with these issues. In this case the OP has reached out and made contact with an individual for what appears to be an accounting error. They should be able to deal exclusively with this contact person and the matter should be resolved quickly. The OP has extended enough of their personal time both on the ship and after disembarking in trying to resolve the issue. With no satisfaction to date they have come to Cruise Critic and shared their experience. It has been an eye opener for many. Hopefully posting a thread on Cruise Critic will help move their situation along, Although not my original intention I believe it did with my situation. Cruise lines do pay attention to sites like this and other forms of social media -- in this day and age it is a necessity -- one that has benefits for everyone.

Rochelle

Would some of you getting the PCC Facebook stuff post the gist of this discussion on his/her page . . . That might get some attention.

I googled and found a PCC with this posted on their Facebook wall. I asked specifically on their post if this was something new. I also sent a private message asking for clarification. I have yet to have any type of reply.

Rochelle

I overcame my fear of booking an NCL cruise (after a horrible ordeal with NCL Customer Service)...but after reading this and other postings of issues guests have had with CS and they experienced similar treatment as I had...I'm afraid again.

I have a while to decide before we leave on our cruise...I will be reading to see other guests experience with NCL CS.

Please don't be vicious and insensitive with your replies. This is not meant maliciously, but as a consumer that loves to vacation with her family and likes to feel good about it before, during, and after.

I overcame my fear of booking an NCL cruise (after a horrible ordeal with NCL Customer Service)...but after reading this and other postings of issues guests have had with CS and they experienced similar treatment as I had...I'm afraid again.

I have a while to decide before we leave on our cruise...I will be reading to see other guests experience with NCL CS.

Please don't be vicious and insensitive with your replies. This is not meant maliciously, but as a consumer that loves to vacation with her family and likes to feel good about it before, during, and after.

I understand this is an issue created by both sides. But please, why on earth would anyone book or not book a cruise because of NCL's Customer Service? Maybe I've just been real lucky, but I have never experienced bad customer service on any cruise line.

And if I wanted to do a particular sailing, I would not let reports of the company's bad customer service deter me from that.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by wasiii

Try not to worry. Issues like this are thankfully rare. To be proactive be sure to sign up for your roll call and attend the Meet & Greet. NCL is very good with these events. Officers are present and can answer any questions you may have. Be sure to pick up one of the cards with the contact information for the heads of the various departments. If you have a problem you need help resolving contact the appropriate person and they will do everything possible to 'fix' whatever it is. They make it very clear, and it makes perfect sense, that they want to hear about any issues you may have on the ship and that they want to make it right. They don't want to read about it here on Cruise Critic.

Remember for every one case you hear of something going wrong there have been thousands and thousands of perfectly happy cruisers. Go back through the threads and read some of the really positive posts. There are plenty!

Hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Rochelle

Try not to worry. Issues like this are thankfully rare. To be proactive be sure to sign up for your roll call and attend the Meet & Greet. NCL is very good with these events. Officers are present and can answer any questions you may have. Be sure to pick up one of the cards with the contact information for the heads of the various departments. If you have a problem you need help resolving contact the appropriate person and they will do everything possible to 'fix' whatever it is. They make it very clear, and it makes perfect sense, that they want to hear about any issues you may have on the ship and that they want to make it right. They don't want to read about it here on Cruise Critic.

Remember for every one case you hear of something going wrong there have been thousands and thousands of perfectly happy cruisers. Go back through the threads and read some of the really positive posts. There are plenty!

Hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Rochelle

Thank you! :)

I googled and found a PCC with this posted on their Facebook wall. I asked specifically on their post if this was something new. I also sent a private message asking for clarification. I have yet to have any type of reply.

Rochelle

i found this same posting. From how I read it, If you buy the All-inclusive package then the wine station is included in the UBP, but the wine station is not included in the UBP by itself per from the following statement

The Ultimate Beverage Package Terms & Conditions

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, draft beer, bottled beer and glasses of wine up to $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $10. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.

A 15% gratuity plus any applicable taxes will be added to all package purchases. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Also not available during blackout dates of March 1 – April 15, applies to sailings that includes these dates. Blackout dates do not apply to Norwegian Jade or Norwegian Spirit.

Last but not least, read the fine print if you want the answers....

No I was not on the cruise with the OP. As someone else has pointed out they asked via telephone prior to the cruise specifically about the wine dispensers and were told yes they were included. They asked again once on the ship and again were told yes they were included. You can read this yourself in the OP's original post.

As it goes against Cruise Critic rules to recommend/post a specific PCC I cannot give you anyone's name. And for the record I make my reservations through CAS. But if you google; Norwegian Personal Cruise Consultant -- you should come up a list. The first entry is an ad and then the other results. The fifth one down is for a PCC's Facebook page where on August 17th a picture of the wine station and these words;

Norwegian has all the wine lovers covered with these cool wine stations!

For those of you interested in our All-Inclusive deal, our wine stations are included in the Ultimate Beverage Package!

I do not know how much clearer it could be. If this is false information than NCL needs to have it corrected and insure their employees are not posting erroneous information.

If the wine stations are only included with the UBP when purchased with the All-Inclusive Package.....then this is confusing and needs to be addressed.

You have been very lucky to not have had any issues with a cruise line. I myself recently had an issue (with another line) -- it has been three months and although mostly resolved there is still much that needs to be answered. It should not take forever to deal with these issues. In this case the OP has reached out and made contact with an individual for what appears to be an accounting error. They should be able to deal exclusively with this contact person and the matter should be resolved quickly. The OP has extended enough of their personal time both on the ship and after disembarking in trying to resolve the issue. With no satisfaction to date they have come to Cruise Critic and shared their experience. It has been an eye opener for many. Hopefully posting a thread on Cruise Critic will help move their situation along, Although not my original intention I believe it did with my situation. Cruise lines do pay attention to sites like this and other forms of social media -- in this day and age it is a necessity -- one that has benefits for everyone.

Rochelle

What your showing me is clear that with the All inclusive deal, the UBP would cover the wine stations, according to your PCC. I don't have a PCC so I do not receive these things so for me this is the first time Im seeing this. I did not understand the OP to have purchased the all inclusive, again its a pretty new offer.

If you take a minute to look up the UBP NCL has been offering for a long time now, it clearly states these machines are NOT INCLUDED… That looks pretty clear to me, I never used them because I read what I bought, the same as I read what type of cabin and its location I purchase… Do I agree that they shouldn't be included, no I don't and I have said that but there not so we stayed away from them.

I still don't understand why people argue when they don't have all the facts, they didn't hear or see anything, yet they swear by it… You apparently did not hear what transpired on the phone nor did you hear what transpired on the ship and you continue to argue agains the cruise line…. I read people who complain about the food on a certain ship and never even sailed on it, they read a review and repeat it…

I say NCL was very generous and honorable to offer the refund and I firmly believe they will correct their accounting error and the OP will get the money NCL so generously refunded him..

PS. I waited for my deposit back for a cruise I had to cancel for 2 statement periods from RCCL.. Things take time, patience and tolerance are what we all need to practice. Again, NCL will do what they said they would do, with or without people complaining on Cruise Critic..

You point out there are 2 people who had this problem, Considering the BA alone leaves NYC each week with 4 thousand passengers I think most people understand the UBP pretty well..

I'm assuming that the OP and companion paid for this package (I don't know if there have been any promotions that included it), NCL probably charged $385.00 per person before tax and gratuity, totaling $770.00 (if there were 2 people in the cabin). I don't know how many drinks they consumed during the week, but considering the markup on alcoholic drinks, even if NCL refunded the $95.00, they still probably came out ahead. I don't know why they wouldn't reverse the charge in the interest of good customer relations.

Dear mcsb11,

We truly apologize for the error and are processing a refund of $95.21 back to you. We appreciate you calling this our attention.

Also, to clarify, you are correct in that glasses of wine priced under $10 from the wine dispensing machines on Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway are included in our Ultimate Beverage Package.

Thank you for sailing with us. We look forward to welcoming you back aboard soon.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

Dear mcsb11,

We truly apologize for the error and are processing a refund of $95.21 back to you. We appreciate you calling this our attention.

Also, to clarify, you are correct in that glasses of wine priced under $10 from the wine dispensing machines on Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway are included in our Ultimate Beverage Package.

Thank you for sailing with us. We look forward to welcoming you back aboard soon.

Best,

mcsb11 - I'm so sorry that you had to fight so hard for a credit on a charge that never should have been charged in the first place but I'm glad that NCL admitted the mistake and apologized for it.

Dear mcsb11,

Best,

There you go, now thats good customer service, I had faith in NCL.. Now, they need tell people the wine dispensing machines are included ( well if its under a 10 dollar bottle of wine)

Dear mcsb11,

Best,

Honestly it would be nice if you gave the guy some bonus OBC for next time after the hassle he went through, especially the awful phone calls he had with clueless reps who told him he was wrong.

Dear mcsb11,

Best,

Kudos.

Our hats are doffed!

Dear mcsb11,

Best,

.....mostly on Carnival, don't think I ever saw customer service like this.

Kudos NCL!

:D

wasiii

Edited by wasiii

Glad that that was FINALLY resolved - just about came close to

a Congressional Inquiry into NCL Customer Unfriendly Relations!

Curiosity - how much wine was dispensed from the machine ?

It appears in the photo (post #3) that they are using 750 ml bottles.

750 ml gives 3 - 8 ounce servings or 4 - 6 ounce ones or something

even cheaper ?

Looking further into the photo (post #3) - note that the machine pours:

A SAMPLE - A HALF - OR A FULL of something (in a glass) ?

Some of the bottles have a hose in a empty bottle bottom ?

What is the sense of having the darn machine if they have to

have an attendant changing out the bottles all the time ?

So a good guess is that hidden in the machine guts they are using 5 liter box

wines (the forbidden carry on type) to supply the dispenser !

5 liter box wines have about as much character as Kool Aid !

Why not just have a wine bar with the appropriate cheese and crackers ?

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add material

So a good guess is that hidden in the machine guts they are using 5 liter box

wines (the forbidden carry on type) to supply the dispenser !

5 liter box wines have about as much character as Kool Aid !

Why not just have a wine bar with the appropriate cheese and crackers ?

They probably use a keg or barrel system. However, boxing is being researched by many respected vineyards as it is more economical and "greener." Screw tops used to be associated with cheap wine but more and more they are being used as they offer the best seal.

There you go, now thats good customer service, I had faith in NCL.. Now, they need tell people the wine dispensing machines are included ( well if its under a 10 dollar bottle of wine)

You meant under $10 a glass... otherwise it would not be drinkable LOL.

very pleased to see that NCL will refund the O.P. We are taking our first cruise with NCL on Oct 17 to Bermuda and I was a bit dismayed to read about the Hassle that occurred with this charge. We are frequent cruisers but usually stick with one or two cruise lines . I am looking forward to cruising with NCL and like the fact they have done the right thing in this instance.:)

I wish you the best of luck in disputing the charge with your credit card company. Two years ago, my NCL on board account was changed after I left the ship. All charges were correct on the copy I have, but my credit card was charged $100 extra. The copy you receive the night before leaving the ship is not the final statement. My calls to NCL were a waste of time as no one would even look into it.

I disputed the charge and my credit card company removed it. 2 months later, they billed me for it again after NCL's Collections Dept responded that the amount on the final invoice was correct. No one at NCL ever contacted me or looked into the problem. They just match the billed amount to the final invoice.

I wrote a letter to NCL's Guest Relations Dept in Miami explaining the error. About a month later, I rec'd a form letter, saying again that the final invoice amount was correct. But I did now have a case #. The customer service person could not use email externally, so we used the 800# person to forward documentation to the customer service person. It took two tries, but finally she looked at it and contacted the ship. The ship guest relations agreed it was their error and refunded my $100.

Since you have already been through the last couple of steps, I really hope NCL does look into the $95 Garden Café charge as they won't have a signed receipt from you for that. Hang in there, but expect a long, frustrating experience.

This is exactly what happened to me, and for almost the same amount. I like you and many others found out the final bill is not "FINAL" and my debit card was charged extra, but since i used a debit card its much much harder to dispute so my bank was of no help and after constant emails etc which went on for almost 2 months I gave it up. I now only use a CC, lesson learned.

Edited by qosmo8

Once again, thank you for the supportive words CC.

Before I read this post late last night, I had a random incoming call from Florida. I jokingly said to my wife, watch its Norwegian. Well it was, and the person I spoke with was overly apologetic & informed me that they reviewed what had happened and were gladly refunding my money & I should have it posted within a few days.

Late last night, I logged in to CC & saw the NCL post on this thread. kudos to them for rectifying a situation. It's a shame I had to go to the extent that I had to, in order to get a resolution, but so be it; they see the error of their ways.

An no I didnt ask for OBC or anything else. All I wanted was the refund that I was originally expecting. Hopefully it posts soon & it'll be all sunshine and kittens.

Lessons I can share with others

-Never take an employee word as NCL law. Look it up yourself.

-Check your invoices on the ship. If there is a discrepancy, address it on the ship and take note of exactly who you spoke with on the ship.

-Check your credit card statement when you get home to make sure it matches with your invoice!

-If for some reason you feel you're wronged by NCL, post your story here. Was it my phone calls & dealing with call center staff the reason why issue was resolved? Or was it the fact that I politely laid out my story for the world to see on CC & was viewed by 5,000 people in ~36hours? I think the answer to that is very obvious.

Happy cruising folks. As I don't foresee myself on a cruise anytime in the near future, my CC days are most likely done. Thank you CC & everyone for the help. When their refund hits, I'll post that so people can know how long the refund process takes

Edited by mcsb11

This is exactly what happened to me, and for almost the same amount. I like you and many others found out the final bill is not "FINAL" and my debit card was charged extra, but since i used a debit card its much much harder to dispute so my bank was of no help and after constant emails etc which went on for almost 2 months I gave it up. I now only use a CC, lesson learned.

Never, ever use a debit card for this.