Post-Cruise Charge Disputes with NCL... Not Fun or Professional

mcsb11

She is referring to the "all inclusive deal" not the Ultimate drink package, there two different things.

My understanding is the UDP is one of the included items in the 'all inclusive' offer. So to me it it would be the same regardless or the ordering method.

That said, as a previous posted questioned, perhaps they are indeed different rules - wine machine included if UBP is purchased as part of the 'AI' deal or NOT included if purchased separately.

if that is the case then NCL needs to change the name of the packages or make it very clear in an easier to read, easy to find FAQ.

Or the PCCs are posting incorrect information

This is clearly very confusing

But even separate from that, the OP did go the extra steps and made a couple of inquiries to avoid this very problem they are not having.

This seems so much of 'right hand, left hand'. This is not just confusing but annoying customers and now the OPs CC company has to spend time & money (our money) to sort it out.

I didn't say I will forgo my vacation, I will just use a different cruise line. I actually have traveled with NCL a few times but very long time ago. I have also done Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. But I really wanted to try NCL Epic. And like I said before I don't need perfect, but I think every one will agree that they don't need problems on their vacation and having your money stolen is a big problem. Especially since all the proof is on her side, they just plainly could not care less.

NCL Epic doesn't have the wine station as Breakaway and Getaway do. ;)

I wish you the best of luck in disputing the charge with your credit card company. Two years ago, my NCL on board account was changed after I left the ship. All charges were correct on the copy I have, but my credit card was charged $100 extra. The copy you receive the night before leaving the ship is not the final statement. My calls to NCL were a waste of time as no one would even look into it.

I disputed the charge and my credit card company removed it. 2 months later, they billed me for it again after NCL's Collections Dept responded that the amount on the final invoice was correct. No one at NCL ever contacted me or looked into the problem. They just match the billed amount to the final invoice.

I wrote a letter to NCL's Guest Relations Dept in Miami explaining the error. About a month later, I rec'd a form letter, saying again that the final invoice amount was correct. But I did now have a case #. The customer service person could not use email externally, so we used the 800# person to forward documentation to the customer service person. It took two tries, but finally she looked at it and contacted the ship. The ship guest relations agreed it was their error and refunded my $100.

Since you have already been through the last couple of steps, I really hope NCL does look into the $95 Garden Café charge as they won't have a signed receipt from you for that. Hang in there, but expect a long, frustrating experience.

I don't think so, I have done 18 cruises. I can understand that bad costumer service can happen on any cruise, but when it has to do with money, that's a different story. They are point blank stealing from this woman.

Are you really trying to claim that other cruise lines don't have occasional, similar problems with accounting, policy and/or service issues? My point is that it happens on all of them because they're all big companies dealing with hundreds of thousands of passengers annually. Here on CC, we read about a ridiculously small percentage of passenger accounts. When the account is negative, we're more likely to see the story aired because complaining is a greater motivation than sharing a good story.

P.S. I have done 20 cruises. However, both of our cruising histories are irrelevant to this discussion.

Good grief - NCL obviously screwed up in this instance and their customer service has dropped the ball. Why is it so difficult for NCL cheerleaders to accept this shortfall? This overcharging after the cruise happened to me, but I was persistent and got the charge refunded. I don't know what is more head-scratching - the poor customer service received by the OP from NCL or the treatment that anyone with a negative comment about NCL receives on this board.

My understanding is the UDP is one of the included items in the 'all inclusive' offer. So to me it it would be the same regardless or the ordering method.

That said, as a previous posted questioned, perhaps they are indeed different rules - wine machine included if UBP is purchased as part of the 'AI' deal or NOT included if purchased separately.

if that is the case then NCL needs to change the name of the packages or make it very clear in an easier to read, easy to find FAQ.

Or the PCCs are posting incorrect information

This is clearly very confusing

But even separate from that, the OP did go the extra steps and made a couple of inquiries to avoid this very problem they are not having.

This seems so much of 'right hand, left hand'. This is not just confusing but annoying customers and now the OPs CC company has to spend time & money (our money) to sort it out.

On NCL's web site they do not state that the wine machines are included, even in the all inclusive package..

Can you tell me where that information is coming from..Im confused..Am I missing something?

Also….

This is from NCL's site regarding the UDP and it clearly states that the vending machines are not included. I understood I couldn't go to the wine machines, not only on NCL, its the same rule on Celebrity. The fact that NCL took responsibility for a crew member giving the OP the wrong information and agreed to refund the OP is pretty impressive in my book.. Not cheerleading here, just trying to look at it from both sides.

THE ULTIMATE BEVERAGE PACKAGE TERMS & CONDITIONS

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, draft beer, bottled beer and glasses of wine up to $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $10. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.

A 15% gratuity plus any applicable taxes will be added to all package purchases. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Also not available during blackout dates of March 1 – April 15, applies to sailings that includes these dates. Blackout dates do not apply to Norwegian Jade or Norwegian Spirit.

Good grief - NCL obviously screwed up in this instance and their customer service has dropped the ball. Why is it so difficult for NCL cheerleaders to accept this shortfall? This overcharging after the cruise happened to me, but I was persistent and got the charge refunded. I don't know what is more head-scratching - the poor customer service received by the OP from NCL or the treatment that anyone with a negative comment about NCL receives on this board.

Barb, I think that NCL honorable by agreeing to refund OP the money he spent using the wine machine as their web site clearly states that the wine (vending machines) are not included in the UDP… Pretty nice of them, no cheerleading, just facts..Right?

The problem is the accounting made a mistake which has been frustrating for the OP. I think many of us have had similar situations whether it be bank mistake, my cell phone company and more recently my home heating oil company. It sometimes takes several calls and follow up before its resolved.

So, you may think I am a cheerleader because NCL agreed to refund someone when they had absolutely no obligation to do so. So be it……

Edited by antsnanny

Thank you to those who have voiced support.

Obviously, my goal is to get my $95 back, but my real goal here is to raise awareness as to NCLs post-cruise activities.

If this could happen to a first time ncl cruiser, I'm sure something similar has happened to other cruisers who may or may not have picked up on it. Check your invoices and check your credit card statements.

We spent a lot on our last cruise, Got final bill, checked out okay. Got the CC bill and a separate charge for $76 is made on embarkation day. Did not make any purchases last day at sea that weren't accounted for. How can I find out what this charge was for? You are at there mercy, when you don't have any documentation or receipt. The cruise line could you an itemized invoice. And no, didn't steal towels or robes!

I wish you the best of luck in disputing the charge with your credit card company. Two years ago, my NCL on board account was changed after I left the ship. All charges were correct on the copy I have, but my credit card was charged $100 extra. The copy you receive the night before leaving the ship is not the final statement. My calls to NCL were a waste of time as no one would even look into it.

I disputed the charge and my credit card company removed it. 2 months later, they billed me for it again after NCL's Collections Dept responded that the amount on the final invoice was correct. No one at NCL ever contacted me or looked into the problem. They just match the billed amount to the final invoice.

I wrote a letter to NCL's Guest Relations Dept in Miami explaining the error. About a month later, I rec'd a form letter, saying again that the final invoice amount was correct. But I did now have a case #. The customer service person could not use email externally, so we used the 800# person to forward documentation to the customer service person. It took two tries, but finally she looked at it and contacted the ship. The ship guest relations agreed it was their error and refunded my $100.

Since you have already been through the last couple of steps, I really hope NCL does look into the $95 Garden Café charge as they won't have a signed receipt from you for that. Hang in there, but expect a long, frustrating experience.

Yet more evidence to add to the pile that calling a corporate office is always superior to sending a letter.

Amazing how many on this forum still doubt me on that assertion.

We spent a lot on our last cruise, Got final bill, checked out okay. Got the CC bill and a separate charge for $76 is made on embarkation day. Did not make any purchases last day at sea that weren't accounted for. How can I find out what this charge was for? You are at there mercy, when you don't have any documentation or receipt. The cruise line could you an itemized invoice. And no, didn't steal towels or robes!

Call the Miami corporate number 305-436-4000 between 6:00am and 2:30pm PDT. They can tell you what that $76 was for, and if they can't, you can send them a copy of the credit card statement and they will credit you.

Yet more evidence to add to the pile that calling a corporate office is always superior to sending a letter.

Amazing how many on this forum still doubt me on that assertion.

I really don't follow your logic... phone calls were getting her nowhere. Writing a letter got her a Case Number, and a Customer Service point-person.

How does that equal phoning being better than letter writing?

Stephen

Thank you to those who have voiced support.

Obviously, my goal is to get my $95 back, but my real goal here is to raise awareness as to NCLs post-cruise activities.

If this could happen to a first time ncl cruiser, I'm sure something similar has happened to other cruisers who may or may not have picked up on it. Check your invoices and check your credit card statements.

Truthfully, I feel you should be grateful that they agreed to refund the money and patient at this point while they work out the accounting problem. They were under no obligation to refund you the money, yet you trash them online… I don't get it… I would have taken full responsibility for my own actions by not reading the facts on the UBP when I purchased it… I have sailed over 30 times on NCL ships and have never had any of the Post-cruise activities you speak about happen to me and I have faith that if it did, it would be corrected.. My cruise agent would also be helpful.. I respectfully ask you why you don't seem to appreciate the fact that they did agree to issue a refund?

I know this will spark the cheerleader remark from some, but I will add that I have cruised a lot on other lines too.. I like them all… I have also had the UBP and read what was and what was not included when I purchased it. I recently sailed on Celebrity with their package and they also exclude the wine machines..

A thought just occurred to me…

What if the OP posted that he used the wine machines and was billed for the wine despite the fact that he had the UDP? He explained that someone told him it was included in the package.. Further, he said that NCL would not refund the money he spent… Remember this is a hypothetical...

Most of the answers to this would have been something like this..

On NCL's website, it indicates that the wine machines are not included in the UDP.

Would the argument be that even though it was made clear when the OP bought the package that the wine machines are not included NCL should have refunded his money… I think not.

Would we say that since he is new to the cruise line and the UDP that NCL should give him a break and refund his money?

Would we explain that not everyone who is employed by NCL knows all the packages, prices and what is included, sure we would… I have been on these boards long enough to know most of us would have been telling him he should have read what was included before he bought the package..

I think that NCL would have been better off by just saying to the OP that the wine machines he used were not a part of the UDP and they are under no obligation to refund money? I think so, because now we would be not having the conversation or accusing NCL of stealing the OP's money… ( which is not his, it was a complimentary refund from NCL)

The problem with this is that even thought NCL agreed to refund the OP his money he is still on the boards complaining and others are agreeing as far as accusing NCL of steeling… I think it would have been cleaner on NCL's part to deny the refund because, again they are under no obligation to do so.. NCL tried to give good customer service, tried to make the OP happy, accounting made a mistake and their thieves?

Another question? Does anyone know where does it say on NCL's site that the wine machines are included if you purchase the All inclusive package? Anyone know?

A thought just occurred to me…

What if the OP posted that he used the wine machines and was billed for the wine despite the fact that he had the UDP? He explained that someone told him it was included in the package.. Further, he said that NCL would not refund the money he spent… Remember this is a hypothetical...

Most of the answers to this would have been something like this..

On NCL's website, it indicates that the wine machines are not included in the UDP.

Would the argument be that even though it was made clear when the OP bought the package that the wine machines are not included NCL should have refunded his money… I think not.

Would we say that since he is new to the cruise line and the UDP that NCL should give him a break and refund his money?

Would we explain that not everyone who is employed by NCL knows all the packages, prices and what is included, sure we would… I have been on these boards long enough to know most of us would have been telling him he should have read what was included before he bought the package..

I think that NCL would have been better off by just saying to the OP that the wine machines he used were not a part of the UDP and they are under no obligation to refund money? I think so, because now we would be not having the conversation or accusing NCL of stealing the OP's money… ( which is not his, it was a complimentary refund from NCL)

The problem with this is that even thought NCL agreed to refund the OP his money he is still on the boards complaining and others are agreeing as far as accusing NCL of steeling… I think it would have been cleaner on NCL's part to deny the refund because, again they are under no obligation to do so.. NCL tried to give good customer service, tried to make the OP happy, accounting made a mistake and their thieves?

Another question? Does anyone know where does it say on NCL's site that the wine machines are included if you purchase the All inclusive package? Anyone know?

Not UDP but UBP in this case (B for beverage, not D for dining) - just sayin'.... :p

Truthfully, I feel you should be grateful that they agreed to refund the money and patient at this point while they work out the accounting problem. They were under no obligation to refund you the money, yet you trash them online… I don't get it… I would have taken full responsibility for my own actions by not reading the facts on the UBP when I purchased it… I have sailed over 30 times on NCL ships and have never had any of the Post-cruise activities you speak about happen to me and I have faith that if it did, it would be corrected.. My cruise agent would also be helpful.. I respectfully ask you why you don't seem to appreciate the fact that they did agree to issue a refund?

I know this will spark the cheerleader remark from some, but I will add that I have cruised a lot on other lines too.. I like them all… I have also had the UBP and read what was and what was not included when I purchased it. I recently sailed on Celebrity with their package and they also exclude the wine machines..

I am sure the OP was grateful when they agreed to refund the money. That does not change the fact that even though they agreed to refund they did not and went ahead and charged anyways.

It is wonderful that you have not had a bad experience with the UBP on NCL or on another cruise line and were fully aware of all the conditions going in. The OP did ask twice about the wine machines and was misinformed. In which case it should be NCL that bears the responsibility for that not the OP. As evidenced by other posters here' the machines have been included in the past and as recently as two days ago representatives of the company have been posting that the machines are included.

I don't think the OP was trashing the company. I am certainly not. But when a company or its employees provide erroneous information it should be their responsibility to make the situation right. The policy should be clear. No one should have to jump through hoops to get a clear and straightforward answer. There needs to be consistency and accurancy for everyone's sake.

The fact that the OP has had so much difficulty trying to resolve this issue reflects poorly on the customer service department. Why should they not be able to deal directly with one person each and every time? Once a guest has the name of someone they are working with to resolve the issue they should be able to contact that person directly either by telephone or via email-- there is no need for the middleman-- that is nonsense and delays the process.

This thread has definitely been informative. Not only does it tell passengers what they should be aware of and watch out for but should also be beneficial to the company in highlighting an area that needs solid and definitive clarification for their employees and the guests.

I wish the OP success in resolving this issue.

** just adding here after reading your subsequent post that I do not agree that what happened constitutes stealing, not was it the OP who said so. It is a problem with accounting and it needs to be fixed.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

I am sure the OP was grateful when they agreed to refund the money. That does not change the fact that even though they agreed to refund they did not and went ahead and charged anyways.

It is wonderful that you have not had a bad experience with the UBP on NCL or on another cruise line and were fully aware of all the conditions going in. The OP did ask twice about the wine machines and was misinformed. In which case it should be NCL that bears the responsibility for that not the OP. As evidenced by other posters here' the machines have been included in the past and as recently as two days ago representatives of the company have been posting that the machines are included.

I don't think the OP was trashing the company. I am certainly not. But when a company or its employees provide erroneous information it should be their responsibility to make the situation right. The policy should be clear. No one should have to jump through hoops to get a clear and straightforward answer. There needs to be consistency and accurancy for everyone's sake.

The fact that the OP has had so much difficulty trying to resolve this issue reflects poorly on the customer service department. Why should they not be able to deal directly with one person each and every time? Once a guest has the name of someone they are working with to resolve the issue they should be able to contact that person directly either by telephone or via email-- there is no need for the middleman-- that is nonsense and delays the process.

This thread has definitely been informative. Not only does it tell passengers what they should be aware of and watch out for but should also be beneficial to the company in highlighting an area that needs solid and definitive clarification for their employees and the guests.

I wish the OP success in resolving this issue.

** just adding here after reading your subsequent post that I do not agree that what happened constitutes stealing, not was it the OP who said so. It is a problem with accounting and it needs to be fixed.

Rochelle

Perhaps, Im just different in this regard, if I were grateful, I would be patient and appreciative after all no on at NCL corporate is telling him they refuse the refund they promised but there is a miscommunication or mistake or lag in the accounting department.

Were you with the OP on the ship? If, not how would you know who or how many times he asked crew members? Also, this is a question I have asked many times, I was wondering what representative of NCL stated wine from the machines were included in the UBP? Can you confirm? Or are you going by what others post? Again, I have been around these boards for a while and while they can be very helpful and I have met many new friends here l they are not always accurate..

I agree this does not constitute stealing and it was another poster who called it stealing not the original poster…

The OP specifically states that before the UBP was purchased, it was confirmed on the phone with an NCL rep that it included the wine machines. Once on the ship, a waitress near the machine also confirmed that it was included in the UBP. Perhaps next time, the OP should get a notarized statement from NCL!

The OP specifically states that before the UBP was purchased, it was confirmed on the phone with an NCL rep that it included the wine machines. Once on the ship, a waitress near the machine also confirmed that it was included in the UBP. Perhaps next time, the OP should get a notarized statement from NCL!

No, that would be silly to get a notarized statement all he would have had to do is read what the UBP includes and he would be all set.. I know this info ration is in several locations on the ship...

I read your story, and I am very surprised about the bad way NCL have been handling this. My PCC has an official NCL FaceBook-page where she posted this photo yesterday (!), and since this will show here as a thumbnail photo in small format, I will copy the text here:

Norwegian has all the wine lovers covered with these cool wine stations!

For those of you interested in our All-Inclusive deal, our wine stations are included in the Ultimate Beverage Package!

I got the exact same picture and pitch via my NCL PCC on Facebook yesterday, too!

He clearly stated that if you love wine, you can get it from any of these dispensers around the ship as part of the UBP!

Not too shocked if Marketing never told the ships about this! It's the same between the Marketing and Sales departments in most businesses... <<ROLLING EYES SO HARD IT HURTS!>> LOL

I got the exact same picture and pitch via my NCL PCC on Facebook yesterday, too!

He clearly stated that if you love wine, you can get it from any of these dispensers around the ship as part of the UBP!

Not too shocked if Marketing never told the ships about this! It's the same between the Marketing and Sales departments in most businesses... <<ROLLING EYES SO HARD IT HURTS!>> LOL

Thank you, for your answer.. I think you might be right that marketing never told the ships or the web site for that matter.. Was this the case when the OP sailed? Or something new?