Post-Cruise Charge Disputes with NCL... Not Fun or Professional

mcsb11

I recently went on the Breakaway, and with the exception of the mediocre food, I really enjoyed myself. And then I came home and looked at my credit card bill, and they charged me more then what my final invoice stated!

Back story--- we purchased the UBP and before purchasing the UBP I spoke to a NCL rep on the phone who answered all of my questions about it. One of which was regarding the wine dispensing machines. I specifically asked asked him if they were included & was told yes they were!

When we got on the ship, we walked into the atrium and saw the machines there. After investigating the machines we saw that that all but 1 of the wines were under the $10 drink max. I proceeded to ask the waitress working that area if the wine machines were included to which she informed me of a yes. After hearing her yes, combined with the original customer services yes, we began to use the wine machines.

All the wine at the machine was the same that was at the bar located 7 feet away, but we liked the convenience of not having to wait. So for the week, we used the machines and accrued a bill of $95 and change.

Charge Dispute on the ship--- Last day, I received my invoice and immediately saw all the wine charges. I promptly when to the desk in the atrium, where the ship accountant was understanding and brought over a bar manager who listened to what had happened and removed the wine charges from my account. She was reluctant to do so, but after hearing what had happened she agreed with me. I was given a new invoice with the ~$95 in wine machine charges removed.

They charge me the full amount--- I check my chase statement & to my dismay, I'm charged the full amount with the ~$95 in charges factored in the final payment.

I promptly call NCL and speak with a Rita D Garcia who listened to my story & took my information down. She emailed me a copy of my final invoice that showed a charge for $95 at the GARDEN CAFE! And on the day of disembarkation. It just so happens that this is the same amount that was removed from the wine machine charges.

She took down my information and advised me that she would contact the ship & get back to me in 5-7 business days.

The fun begins--- 8 business days go by and I call NCL. I deal with a different customer service rep who cannot connect me to Rita... but he can instant message her and find out what happened.

After waiting, he gets back to me & informs me that the ship told her that the charges stand. Thats it. I proceeded to play a game of telephone with him & Rita through instant messenger where I would ask a question, then he would ask her and then relay it back to me. This went on for 15 minutes. Any requests to talk directly to her were met with a--- she's on the phone.

Any requests to speak to a supervisor were met with me waiting for ten minutes then being told he/she isnt available. I was told that said supervisor would call me back either later that day or in the am of the next business day. That never happened.

I call again. Once again, the customer service rep proceeds to give me the story about how the wine machines are not included in the UBP- to which I tell her I am now aware of this and there is no need to repeat this as I am fully aware of this now. She keep trying to convey this point to me. I inform her that all I want to do is speak to a supervisor. She ignores this request.

As she ignores my supervisor request, she proceeds to tell me that she has messaged Rita and the ship told her that they cant change the charges as they stem from...... a bar crawl on the ship & bar crawls are not covered in the UBP. What?!!?!?!

The only bar crawl I heard about is was the Bermuda drink tour where they went to a few bars and had a different Bermuda themed cocktail (not wine) at each one. We never did that, as it seemed pointless.

Regardless, were they trying to say that my wife & I went on a bar crawl from the wine machine at the atrium to the machine in the garden cafe? Ya, that makes a lot of sense! That's just a head scratcher to me.

After hearing that, and after being ignored in my request to be given to a supervisor I was hung up on due for what I can only assume was the unkind tone of my voice. Never cussed, but noticeably angry.

Where we stand now--- After never getting a call back from Rita Garcia, never getting a call from a supervisor & getting hung up on, I have decided to go right to Chase and dispute my charge. As in reality, the charges are a farce. I was given a different invoice than the one that was used when I was billed, and it's physically impossible to spend $95 on disembarkation day at the Garden Cafe!

Lessons for others--- Read your fine print. Dont rely on what staffers say!

Additionally, if you get charges changed on the last morning of your cruise, get written documentation from the people you spoke to along with names and signatures. Just because they take the charges off, doesnt mean they actually will!

I will update this post as this issue hopefully resolves itself.

I read your story, and I am very surprised about the bad way NCL have been handling this. My PCC has an official NCL FaceBook-page where she posted this photo yesterday (!), and since this will show here as a thumbnail photo in small format, I will copy the text here:

Norwegian has all the wine lovers covered with these cool wine stations!

For those of you interested in our All-Inclusive deal, our wine stations are included in the Ultimate Beverage Package!

1416945325_Winestation.jpg.8d2352ad7bff290995b9667821f8e061.jpg

Edited by TrumpyNor

I read your story, and I am very surprised about the bad way NCL have been handling this. My PCC has an official NCL FaceBook-page where she posted this photo yesterday (!), and since this will show here as a thumbnail photo in small format, I will copy the text here:

For those of you interested in our All-Inclusive deal, our wine stations are included in the Ultimate Beverage Package!

I think the op stated that he purchased the ultimate drink package not the all inclusive deal.. They are much different…

I think the op stated that he purchased the ultimate drink package not the all inclusive deal.. They are much different…

Yes, but the text says included in the UBP....

Maybe it is a different UBP with the all-inclusive-deal then, and if that is the case, they should NOT have the same name for it.... Otherwise it will be lot of confusion in the future (both among passengers and crew).

On the other hand, the terms & conditions for the UBP states that wine stations are NOT included (from ncl.com):

http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

But in this case, the OP did ask before they started using the wine stations, and was told that it was included. So here NCL in my opinion should take the "blame" and remove the charges.

Edited by TrumpyNor

The UBP (and the UDP) are included in the All Inclusive package. There is only one UBP. In November, wine machines were included on the UBP.

OP, I hope this works out for you. I can't imagine why glasses of wine from the machine would no longer be included - you can get that same glass from any bar.

The UBP (and the UDP) are included in the All Inclusive package. There is only one UBP. In November, wine machines were included on the UBP.

OP, I hope this works out for you. I can't imagine why glasses of wine from the machine would no longer be included - you can get that same glass from any bar.

It's really a headscratcher as to why they arent included. They list the price right on the machine. You know EXACTLY what is over $10.

Regardless, I just saw the new all-inclusive thing today where it says the wine machines are included.

What really gets me angry is that the guy who helped me the last day at the desk was so nice, friendly & helpful that I put him down for a vacation star. I really wish I could rescind that now.

Sorry to hear what you're going through.

There are two problems here:

1) NCL employees are very poorly informed about policy (I've had this issue several times myself, over different matters), so you can't take their word for anything. Of course, that's not your fault, but keep it in mind for future reference.

2) It sounds like, after the fact, perhaps you were not speaking to someone with any real authority or power.

I would suggest calling the Miami corporate office (open until 2:30pm PDT, M-F), and asking for a manager.

305-436-4000

They tend to be a lot more intelligent, reasonable, and customer service oriented in that office, especially if you speak to a manager. Don't bother with the general call center.

Good luck.

Edited by pokerpro5

Sorry to hear what you're going through.

There are two problems here:

1) NCL employees are very poorly informed about policy (I've had this issue several times myself, over different matters), so you can't take their word for anything. Of course, that's not your fault, but keep it in mind for future reference.

2) It sounds like, after the fact, perhaps you were not speaking to someone with any real authority or power.

I would suggest calling the Miami corporate office (open until 2:30pm PDT, M-F), and asking for a manager.

305-436-4000

They tend to be a lot more intelligent, reasonable, and customer service oriented in that office, especially if you speak to a manager. Don't bother with the general call center.

Good luck.

Poker... thank you for that info. I will try that in the AM

I hope everything works out for you with the bank. The customer service department at NCL has clearly been treating you very poorly.This should not happen.

I would try and find out who the PCC is who is posting to Facebook that the machines are included in the UBP, perhaps NCL could bring up the $95 dollar charge with them and any other subsequent charges that occur and are disputed.

This is definitely a huge error on multiple levels and needs to be addressed!

Rochelle

Yes, but the text says included in the UBP....

Maybe it is a different UBP with the all-inclusive-deal then, and if that is the case, they should NOT have the same name for it.... Otherwise it will be lot of confusion in the future (both among passengers and crew).

On the other hand, the terms & conditions for the UBP states that wine stations are NOT included (from ncl.com):

http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

But in this case, the OP did ask before they started using the wine stations, and was told that it was included. So here NCL in my opinion should take the "blame" and remove the charges.

Your right the terms and conditions do state that the wine machines are not included in the UDP.. My guess is that things are different when your are buying the all inclusive package, that package is pretty new.

I would say it depends on who he asked it the wine machines were included. If he asked the bar manager and has a name thats one thing, NCL should stand by that and return his money. BUT.. I don't know why he would even asks when it pretty clear in the agreement when you purchase the UDP that the machines are not included...

Your right the terms and conditions do state that the wine machines are not included in the UDP.. My guess is that things are different when your are buying the all inclusive package, that package is pretty new.

I would say it depends on who he asked it the wine machines were included. If he asked the bar manager and has a name thats one thing, NCL should stand by that and return his money. BUT.. I don't know why he would even asks when it pretty clear in the agreement when you purchase the UDP that the machines are not included...

I asked because this was my first cruise with NCL. Before I booked, I had read numerous topics on CC about the UBP and had questions. I called NCL & went directly to them for my questions. On that list of questions was whether or not it was included. In retrospect I was naive for just taking the word of an NCL employee and not investigating further. Shame on me.

I've never dealt with such a large corporation who threw customer service by the wayside with such little regard for the consumer. Especially when they offered to rectify the situation.

Where we stand now--- After never getting a call back from Rita Garcia, never getting a call from a supervisor & getting hung up on, I have decided to go right to Chase and dispute my charge. As in reality, the charges are a farce. I was given a different invoice than the one that was used when I was billed, and it's physically impossible to spend $95 on disembarkation day at the Garden Cafe!

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with my fellow posters here.

IMHO, you have done your due diligence on this issue. You asked about the rules...more than one, to confirm BEFORE you make the purchases from the machines. When you realized the problem, you attempted to resolve it onboard...where you are supposed to. Now that you're home you have made more than enough calls to get the issue resolved.

I think you turning this over to Chase as a disputed charge is the correct and appropriate response at this time. You have given them ample opportunity to fix things, and now the next step must take place.

DON'T call them back. Simply dispute the charge with Chase and put the responsibility of a resolution on NCL...let them call YOU for a change.

Tell Chase your story, provide them with copies of your receipts (and a copy of the photo showing that it is actually included), and force NCL to respond.

No need to waste your time any further.

Wow I cant believe how badly they treated you, I was actually thinking of booking with NCL Epic, but after reading this, I don't think I want to anymore. That is not the way to treat your costumers.

I agree that NCL did not handle the situation properly. However, if you're going to base your booking decision on what I consider an isolated incident, you will have a very hard time booking any mainstream cruise line because these types of bad customer service situations occur on them all.

I agree that NCL did not handle the situation properly. However, if you're going to base your booking decision on what I consider an isolated incident, you will have a very hard time booking any mainstream cruise line because these types of bad customer service situations occur on them all.

I don't think so, I have done 18 cruises. I can understand that bad costumer service can happen on any cruise, but when it has to do with money, that's a different story. They are point blank stealing from this woman.

I don't think so, I have done 18 cruises. I can understand that bad costumer service can happen on any cruise, but when it has to do with money, that's a different story. They are point blank stealing from this woman.

Wonder how many times the statement doesnt match the actual charge. I never really checked. I trusted them. No more.

I agree about disputing the charge with Chase - you're much more likely to get your money back that way. Sorry this happened to you. I usually try to check my bill several times throughout the cruise just to make sure there are no surprises on the last day.

My pcc also posted this on his FB page. Just makes no sense.

I agree about disputing the charge with Chase - you're much more likely to get your money back that way. Sorry this happened to you. I usually try to check my bill several times throughout the cruise just to make sure there are no surprises on the last day.

Now we have to check it on our statements too a month later.

I asked because this was my first cruise with NCL. Before I booked, I had read numerous topics on CC about the UBP and had questions. I called NCL & went directly to them for my questions. On that list of questions was whether or not it was included. In retrospect I was naive for just taking the word of an NCL employee and not investigating further. Shame on me.

I've never dealt with such a large corporation who threw customer service by the wayside with such little regard for the consumer. Especially when they offered to rectify the situation.

Its always interesting with these cruise lines, when were on board they will do anything to make us happy but try calling customer service and its just the opposite.. I think they ought to put customer service offices at sea, they seem to do much better there. ; )I have read the same complaints over and over again about the lack on service from customer service, not just about NCL but all of the cruise lines..

For what its worth, I think its crazy they don't include the wine from the machines in the UDP, after all it should cost less since there is no bartender needed. We just sailed on Celebrity with the EDP and it was the same thing, the wine from the wine machines was not included.

Also, a good lesson is that people on CC all experience different things, we have all seen a question asked and answered with a "Yes" a "no" and "maybe"

I wish you luck with customer service, perhaps a letter to someone at the top might be a better option, certain a little less aggravation for you.. Good Luck…