Princess grill questions

nuekruizer

... Is afternoon tea served in the grills lounge?

Is bottled water complimentary in the Princess Cabins?

In six voyages in PG we have always had complimentary chilled bottled water. When we finished the large bottle in the fridge it was replenished.

As for afternoon tea in the Grills Lounge on QM and QE (we have not yet been on QV) it has been served by waiters. The Grills Lounge on the QE would often fill up so some passengers were accommodated in the adjacent PG restaurant. There was also a "self-serve" tea available in the Concierge Lounge on QM2.

A word of warning regarding using the grill's concierge for the behind the scenes tour. We were recently on a TA and went to the lounge on demarcation day to get signed up. We were told to come back the next morning at 9 - she couldn't take applications until the actual tour desk opened. At 9, we were told to come back at 10 because the tour desk opening was delayed an hour.

When we got there about 9:55, there were a few people hovering near the concierge but there was no semblance of a line. When she officially opened for applications, people just went to the desk. Someone walked into the lounge during all of this and went straight to the desk (ahead of my husband and me). When he finished, we approached and were told that there was only one slot left - the line jumper had taken the slot we should have gotten.

I give the concierge a lot of credit for staying calm during my husband's rant and she promised that we'd have one guaranteed slot and one waitlist slot. A few hours later, she called our room to say we'd both been accepted and that she managed to get an extra slot on the tour.

If you want to get on the tour, get there early and form a real line/queue.

And enjoy a wonderful tea service in the grill's lounge.

Thankyou so much

In six voyages in PG we have always had complimentary chilled bottled water. When we finished the large bottle in the fridge it was replenished.

As for afternoon tea in the Grills Lounge on QM and QE (we have not yet been on QV) it has been served by waiters. The Grills Lounge on the QE would often fill up so some passengers were accommodated in the adjacent PG restaurant. There was also a "self-serve" tea available in the Concierge Lounge on QM2.

Thankyou

Last year on QV, when the weather was pleasant enough, afternoon tea was also served on the grills terrace (is that the right name for that area of deck just outside the grills lounge?). I thought I had died and gone to heaven :D

If the chairs are out and you're sitting out on the deck, you'll be served afternoon tea.

The tea will be served in a mug and the presentation not quite so elegant, but it's still afternoon tea on the terrace. I like fresh air and even if it's chilly, I'll wrap up in a blanket and sit out and read. A hot cup of tea with a few sandwiches and a scone is very welcome.

If the chairs are out and you're sitting out on the deck, you'll be served afternoon tea.

The tea will be served in a mug and the presentation not quite so elegant, but it's still afternoon tea on the terrace. I like fresh air and even if it's chilly, I'll wrap up in a blanket and sit out and read. A hot cup of tea with a few sandwiches and a scone is very welcome.

Many will remember the days when one hired a deck chair on the QE2. Passengers were provided with a heavy steamer rug, much appreciated on the Atlantic crossings. I'm sure others remember Dennis, the head deck steward on the QE2. With his assistants, he served a full afternoon tea with those delightful square tea-pots and the same scones, sandwiches and cakes as were offered in the Queen's Room.

I have read conflicting info on web so came to the experts, thanks, looking for as much info on princess grill so looking forward to our experience.

Many will remember the days when one hired a deck chair on the QE2. Passengers were provided with a heavy steamer rug, much appreciated on the Atlantic crossings. I'm sure others remember Dennis, the head deck steward on the QE2. With his assistants, he served a full afternoon tea with those delightful square tea-pots and the same scones, sandwiches and cakes as were offered in the Queen's Room.

And a lovely mug of hot bouillion at around 11am or was it noon?

I'm sailed almost exclusively in PG, but never when the ship was on your side of the planet. Here's my experience:

my wife and I will be doing the same cruise...Darwin to Sydney

so I understand your questions

Yes there is not much info on the Cunard site re Princess Grill just the basics. Cruising for the first time we wish there were more information. We are joining Hong Kong to Sydney.

I have read where you need to order any off menu request prior to dinner.

Where are the menus available to enable you to do this. Are the daily menus available in your cabin?

Our experience of PG "off menu" is quite simple - there is the "daily" menu,and the "a la carte " menu ( ie the same choices throughout the cruise) . Off menu is precisely that - you ask for something that you fancy that is not on either menu eg Dover sole, or Lobster Thermidor, chateaubriand, and assuming they can accommodate your request that is what will be cooked for you. There is no "off menu" menu! ( the above are just examples - I think Dover sole was on the a la carte menu actually)

Apart from one day when I asked for Lobster, the daily and A la carte menu easily met our needs for a 12 night cruise. The food was lovely.

I can't remember when the daily menu was provided.....sorry.

Where are the menus available to enable you to do this. Are the daily menus available in your cabin?

QG, the menus are in your post fan outside your door the evening before and if not picked up, on the bed when you retire for the night along with the following day's Daily Programme; any special messages, invitations etc and the news bits and bobs.

Failing that, the menu for dinner can be seen at lunchtime. The a la carte is not available on the first or last night of a cruise and I don't think it's available on special dinner nights, but that doesn't stop you having a prior order, again, QG.

Water question, yet again QG, the glass bottles of non sparkling water are sealed so I don't think it's a refill situation.

Not much help for PG but I would imagine it's the same.

I am planning the July 30 2015 trip to Canada on QM2, possible Princess Grill. Can you pick your table at the grill restaurant or just assigned one? Can you have afternoon tea in the Queens grill lounge area? Can you get advanced tickets to the Planetarium shows? Can you get wine delivered to your cabin by room service? Thanks!

For an overview of a Princess Grill voyage to canada you may wish to see this...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-mary-2-grand-new-england-and-canadian-wonders-cruise/

A superb way to travel.

Your question has been answered pretty comprehensively in the preceding comments.

I would like to add that ordering dishes, that do not feature on the Princess Grill menu, often allow the staff to go that extra mile for guests they know will appreciate it.

My favourite whether in the Queens or Princess Grill is a lunch of Steak Tartare, here prepared table side by the Maitre 'd...

8733864039_de6b27f2aa_z.jpg

Your sommelier will of course recommend the perfect vin rouge to accompany the meal.

I'm sailed almost exclusively in PG, but never when the ship was on your side of the planet. Here's my experience:

We did not "make the cut" for the behind the scenes tour on the QM2 last year (did not get to the concierge in time). Got a nice "Dear John letter" instead.

Will be on the QV in April. How best to make the cut this time?

We did not "make the cut" for the behind the scenes tour on the QM2 last year (did not get to the concierge in time). Got a nice "Dear John letter" instead.

Will be on the QV in April. How best to make the cut this time?

I can only suggest putting in your application ASAP. I failed to "make the cut" twice previously but finally did last October. How it's decided I don't know but I'll speculate that there are two factors: 1) agility and 2) onboard history.

Anyone who needs to move about the ship with some mobility assistance device won't make it. There is stair climbing and stepping over watertight door sills. The tour will take about three hours and many passengers are just not up to those physical demands.

All things being equal, if there are two slots remaining for four agile people the "red cards" will make the cut (to get them hooked) or the more generous spender will make over the frugal fare hunter. (If you ran a business would you chose otherwise?)