Princess grill questions

nuekruizer

Actually, my wife and I have decided that we prefer the Princess Grill to the Queens Grill. It's not that we wouldn't take a free upgrade if it were offered, its just that there seem to be more tiresome people in the Queens Grill who the maitre'd and the waiter have to hover over because they have the money (but dare I say, not the class!), and having to sit at a table next to them can be irritating (the memory of one who had to have the jar of 'Suzy's sauce' brought to her table cannot be eradicated from our memories, together with the couple she brought with her, who she had obviously paid for, who had to dance attendance and be sat waiting at the table before she entered for dinner).

Although the off menu choices are better in the Queen's Grill, we found the general atmosphere in the Princess Grill more to our liking.

We have yet to meet wait staff who hover or any tiresome people in QG and we have the odd two or three cruises a year under our belts.

You were obviously unlucky.

Edited by Victoria2

Been there and done that in both Princess and Queen's Grill. We actually prefer the PG. Our last bout in the Q's G had the exact same problems that the above posters mentioned. One, mind you, one couple basically held our entire section captive with complaints, need for numerous M'ds, head waiters, asst waiter, someliers (sp?), etc. We only saw our waiters to take our orders and then throw them down so they could run off to the "other" couple. We had the very same waiters, etc. From the limited experience with them, we thought they were lovely, but I guess not everyone felt the same. The service was so distracted, it was pitiable. Our head waitress was actually reduced to tears on several evenings.........

That's bad.......we felt bad for her, she was having a very difficult time. We are extremely low maintence, but the few table side preps were a disaster (Dover Sole ( I could've cried),steak tartare which was a travesty.) We gave up on table side which in itself should've been a treat.......but I digress......

Princess grill was about as lovely as it can get........excellent preps, WONDERFUL service, but also lovely dining neighbors........Luck of the draw I suppose, but not in a big rush to book the Q"sG again.........

B,

My experiences in QG have been exactly the same. Like you, I would accept the upgrade for the menu choices (and the small dressing alcove) in a heartbeat. Until then, PG works for me just fine. I also think the two tops are set up better in PG.

Jeanne

Seems a bit of a contradiction here. Accept an upgrade to QG in a "HEARTBEAT" but prefers Princess Grill. ??

Seems a bit of a contradiction here. Accept an upgrade to QG in a "HEARTBEAT" but prefers Princess Grill. ??

Trust me, the remark is for the food choices. They are better. I just would not pay the single supplement for the privilege.

I will now refrain from any more comments to posters I do not know, but thank you for your challenge.

Jeanne

Exactly, Jeanne. For the larger cabin and the food choices NOT the ambience of the Queens Grill. I also will not be commenting further on this thread.

What is the real advantage of this relation?

The PG restaurant is slightly smaller than the QG.

I have had no problems in either PG or QG. As far as some demanding passengers in QG, I did see this once. It didn't affect others at all, as far as I could see. There was a couple who appeared to be well-known to the staff. Every morning at breakfast the man would hold court with Osman (the maître d') and the head chef, both of whom had note-pads at the ready. The man gave detailed instructions for the preparation of every course of all three meals for the day for the two of them. His wife never said a word. It was amusing listening to this. He knew exactly what he wanted and never paused.

I find that flambé items and other table-side preparation is quicker in PG even though the number of trolleys and assistant MDs was similar in both Grills. I suppose more people are ordering off the a la carte menu or making special requests in QG.

What is the real advantage of this relation?
I agree with the above comments by david,Mississauga (although I've not encountered such a menu dictator as he described). Plus the PG dining room seems a bit less crowded and, as mentioned before, the tables for two are less jammed together.

The PG restaurant is slightly smaller than the QG.

I have had no problems in either PG or QG. As far as some demanding passengers in QG, I did see this once. It didn't affect others at all, as far as I could see. There was a couple who appeared to be well-known to the staff. Every morning at breakfast the man would hold court with Osman (the maître d') and the head chef, both of whom had note-pads at the ready. The man gave detailed instructions for the preparation of every course of all three meals for the day for the two of them. His wife never said a word. It was amusing listening to this. He knew exactly what he wanted and never paused.

I find that flambé items and other table-side preparation is quicker in PG even though the number of trolleys and assistant MDs was similar in both Grills. I suppose more people are ordering off the a la carte menu or making special requests in QG.

I have travelled a few times in PG but on most journeys QG. To me the differences weren't noticeable. But beeing a regular guest certainly balances the service level.

Do you typically have a dining table and chairs on your balcony?

PG balconies (and Q5-7) have two padded teak lounge chairs and a small table. No dining table and no upright chairs. Balcony dining, provided by a waiter, is only available to QG passengers. In that case a table would be brought in. Of course you could always order room service and take you meal outside.

Can you order lobster tail "off menu" in the Princess Grill restaurant if the dinner menu selections do not appeal to you?

Special off menu orders must generally be made to the Maitre D' no later than lunch time. One can ask at dinner but if the lobster tail is frozen solid (as is probably the case with cruise ship lobster tails) you will have a long wait. "Off menu" in PG seems to depend on who is running it at the time. I had no difficulty but others reportedly did.

Edited by BlueRiband

• 1 month later...
I have a quick question - I have seen the hours for grill dining listed as between 6:30 and 9:00 pm. Are those the times for initial seating, or are you expected to finish your meal by 9pm?

I have written a full article on dining in Princess Grill entitled 'Dining with a Princess'. You may wish to have a look

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/12/23/dining-with-a-princess/

Edited by Solent Richard

The major difference between PG and QG particularly on QM2 is in your cabin accommodation, more than in the restaurants themselves.

Larger size cabin and balcony, butler service, complimentary two bottles of adult beverages

The QG has a larger a la carte menu and you can ask the maitre d at lunch for just about anything for dinner and if it is on the ship they will prepare it

Top secret, though....if you ask the maitre d in PG for something not on the a la carte menu at lunch, you might find you can get the same service there

Whether you feel the QG is worth the extra 2K per person for a 7 or 8 day TA is your decision, of course.

• 3 months later...
Yes some do wear long, others don't though. Daytime is quite casual and is often described as country club casual. Jeans are ok as will be your cropped trousers. It is not as dressy as the brochure makes out apart from the evenings :)

Hi just a few dumb questions we have travelled a lot but never on a cruise.

We have booked Princess Grill for part of the world cruise Hong Kong to Sydney however I have been unable to find much info as to what to expect apart from what is on the Cunard site. How are you able to use your concierge? I gather you have your room steward and the concierge is for extras as such as tours, tickets is that correct. Also what facilities are available in the concierge lounge and the grills lounge? Is afternoon tea served in the grills lounge?

Is bottled water complimentary in the Princess Cabins?

Hope there is somebody that can give us some interesting info. So looking forward to being part of a QM2 cruise.

I'm sailed almost exclusively in PG, but never when the ship was on your side of the planet. Here's my experience:

Hi just a few dumb questions we have travelled a lot but never on a cruise.

We have booked Princess Grill for part of the world cruise Hong Kong to Sydney however I have been unable to find much info as to what to expect apart from what is on the Cunard site.

How are you able to use your concierge? I gather you have your room steward and the concierge is for extras as such as tours, tickets is that correct. The concierge is there for making transfer and land tours at disembarkation. One can also book shore excursions and spa appointments through the concierge. (Hint - if you want to book the Behind the Scenes Tour head straight to the conceirge on embarkation day. Your application will be at the top of the pile.) On QM2 the Concierge Lounge is mid-ship on Deck 9.

Also what facilities are available in the concierge lounge and the grills lounge? Is afternoon tea served in the grills lounge? It has magazines and, for QG guests, a DVD library. The lounge has coffee and tea whenever it's open. Breakfast pastries in the morning, and while it does "serve" afternoon tea it's self service. Handy if you come off a shore excursion and want something light in a civilized atmosphere.

Is bottled water complimentary in the Princess Cabins? No. There is however complimentary fresh fruit which is replenished upon request.

Hope there is somebody that can give us some interesting info. So looking forward to being part of a QM2 cruise.

Edited by BlueRiband

I'm sailed almost exclusively in PG, but never when the ship was on your side of the planet. Here's my experience:

Thankyou so much, can you tell me are you able to get afternoon tea in the Grills lounge? Sorry you already answered my question in your reply.

Edited by siennagirl1
mistake

A word of warning regarding using the grill's concierge for the behind the scenes tour. We were recently on a TA and went to the lounge on demarcation day to get signed up. We were told to come back the next morning at 9 - she couldn't take applications until the actual tour desk opened. At 9, we were told to come back at 10 because the tour desk opening was delayed an hour.

When we got there about 9:55, there were a few people hovering near the concierge but there was no semblance of a line. When she officially opened for applications, people just went to the desk. Someone walked into the lounge during all of this and went straight to the desk (ahead of my husband and me). When he finished, we approached and were told that there was only one slot left - the line jumper had taken the slot we should have gotten.

I give the concierge a lot of credit for staying calm during my husband's rant and she promised that we'd have one guaranteed slot and one waitlist slot. A few hours later, she called our room to say we'd both been accepted and that she managed to get an extra slot on the tour.

If you want to get on the tour, get there early and form a real line/queue.

And enjoy a wonderful tea service in the grill's lounge.