Mr. Cahill, Tampa wants a Spirit class ship!

crusinpsychRN

Tampa is in need of a Spirit class ship for 7 day cruises after Pride leaves!

This vacancy is priming people near this port to move to RCL or Norwegian. I wouldn't do a 7 day on a Fantasy size ship. Pricing the other lines out of Tampa makes them comprable to going to Port Canveral.

Help us out! Give Tampa a Spirit class ship again!

I agree 100% that we need another ship that will do 7 day cruises here in Tampa. I too agree that if Carnival doesn't bring us another Spirit Class ship, that they'll lose a lot of business, and future customers to the other lines that DO have longer cruises out of Tampa. It'll be interesting to see just what happens in that regard. :confused:

"SKY"

Well, I think it might just be a scheduling thing? We were supposed to have the Pride for the long term, but renegotiated with Baltimore and now they get her back. The deal was already done with the other Spirit-class vessels, so we are out of luck for the time being.

I can't believe that's it forever, though. Never the less, while we are spoiled by cruising so close to home, we will have to bite the bullet and head to the East Coast ports. Think of all the people who have to fly in to cruise....we just need to drive a few hours....

It's making us look closer at the other lines. We actually suggested that, until another spirit class ship,can be brought in, change the Paradise to do (some) longer sailings. 8, 10, 12 day exotics mixed in with the shorter party cruises.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well.....

Since the Legend will be coming up to Alaska In the summer. The Miracle will be doing 7 night Mexican Riviera Cruises from Long Beach.

What I don't understand is that they need 3 year-round ships in Galveston. There's better business in Tampa and the Med.

So why don't they send the Freedom, which will be extra and has all of the new bells and whistles over to Long Beach? They surely have the business there to fill a big ship, and with it being new, they would win all the competition. Or have the Freedom replace the Dream and the Dream go over to Long Beach. I would actually look into it.

That leaves Miracle. Miracle could sail from Tampa on the same cruises the Legend did, or do an 6/8 night basis, where Carnival brings back the Costa Rica/Panama itinerary.

Or......

The Miracle could spend part of the year cruising through the Med. Carnival needs a ship out there, wither doing 7 night roundtrip Barcelona or 9/12 night cruises from there. Miracle would be perfect for that market. The spirit class ships are great, especially for a more intimate cruise experience. And the West Coast and Australia need to stop hogging them! But Baltimore needs to keep the Pride. I read somewhere that the Pride never sailed below 90% full, and that's only on a rare occasion that the number aren't between 95-100%

But I would love to see Carnival open their eyes and start expanding their businesses. Sorry for any Galveston people, but do you know how much airfare is into Hobby or Intercontinental?? and the airports are far. The itineraries aren't worth the 4 hour flight. It's cheaper for me to get to LAX! I don't know, but in my personal opinion, Magic and Triumph are fine by themselves in Galveston. Give up the Freedom to the West and the Miracle to the East!!!

The NY fans feel your pain. Carnival has pretty much conceded the NY market to Royal and NCL with few sailings remaining so they are also losing fans around here too! Baltimore is too far to drive for our tastes so Royal and NCL get our business in their absence.

Totally agree. Looking into Norwegian for our cruise next year so we can go from Tampa. Lucked out this year and were able to hitch a ride to Ft. Lauderdale with my parents so parking will be cheap but free from Tampa is better

Totally agree. Looking into Norwegian for our cruise next year so we can go from Tampa. Lucked out this year and were able to hitch a ride to Ft. Lauderdale with my parents so parking will be cheap but free from Tampa is better

I cruise both and CCL and NCL and enjoy them both. I'm sure you will, too!!

Well.....

Since the Legend will be coming up to Alaska In the summer. The Miracle will be doing 7 night Mexican Riviera Cruises from Long Beach.

What I don't understand is that they need 3 year-round ships in Galveston. There's better business in Tampa and the Med.

So why don't they send the Freedom, which will be extra and has all of the new bells and whistles over to Long Beach? They surely have the business there to fill a big ship, and with it being new, they would win all the competition. Or have the Freedom replace the Dream and the Dream go over to Long Beach. I would actually look into it.

That leaves Miracle. Miracle could sail from Tampa on the same cruises the Legend did, or do an 6/8 night basis, where Carnival brings back the Costa Rica/Panama itinerary.

Or......

The Miracle could spend part of the year cruising through the Med. Carnival needs a ship out there, wither doing 7 night roundtrip Barcelona or 9/12 night cruises from there. Miracle would be perfect for that market. The spirit class ships are great, especially for a more intimate cruise experience. And the West Coast and Australia need to stop hogging them! But Baltimore needs to keep the Pride. I read somewhere that the Pride never sailed below 90% full, and that's only on a rare occasion that the number aren't between 95-100%

But I would love to see Carnival open their eyes and start expanding their businesses. Sorry for any Galveston people, but do you know how much airfare is into Hobby or Intercontinental?? and the airports are far. The itineraries aren't worth the 4 hour flight. It's cheaper for me to get to LAX! I don't know, but in my personal opinion, Magic and Triumph are fine by themselves in Galveston. Give up the Freedom to the West and the Miracle to the East!!!

Galveston is a very profitable port for carnival. In fact other cruise lines are taking notice. In order for the freedom to go to the west coast it woukd have to sail around South America. I dont see that happening anytime soon. Galveston also serves a good portion of the western and south western states. As opposed to Tampa which only serves a small portion geographically. Bottom line it is all dollars and sense. If a spirit class would make more money in Tampa then baltimore and the west coast. Dont think for one second that carnival wouldn't hesitate to out one in Tampa.

Why doesn't everyone in Tampa quit crying and do what everyone else in the country does, travel cruise port. My god you guys are close enough to Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami that you could drive there the day of or night before. Most of America has to travel to a port to catch a cruise, often farther then you would to even to take a short cruise much less a 7 day. Yes I would be bummed if I was use to one in my back yard but it is not the end of the world and not like you don't have other options that are rather close by.

Well.....

Or......

Texas can get higher prices than the Florida ports. I just flew to Orlando for the Liberty and my flight, cabin and car service was cheaper than cruising from Galveston.

This is Carnival's way of "bullying" Tampa into building a new terminal. Its not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure Tampa will lose more from Carnival's absence than Carnival will lose from not having a 7 day ship there.

Bullying? It's called business. It happens every day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Galveston is a very profitable port for carnival. In fact other cruise lines are taking notice. In order for the freedom to go to the west coast it woukd have to sail around South America. I dont see that happening anytime soon. Galveston also serves a good portion of the western and south western states. As opposed to Tampa which only serves a small portion geographically. Bottom line it is all dollars and sense. If a spirit class would make more money in Tampa then baltimore and the west coast. Dont think for one second that carnival wouldn't hesitate to out one in Tampa.

Maybe the most popular port. That is why there will be 3 ships there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well.....

well...

it's simple. carnival makes more money, consistently, on sailings out of galveston, than pretty much any other port. cruises out of galveston have always been significantly more expensive than comparable cruises out of other ports, ESPECIALLY florida ports.

they tried a ship the size of the freedom - a tad larger, in the splendor, out of long beach. they couldn't fill it up, and prices were consistently depressed with rock bottom rates to fill the ship.

further, they would have to sail the freedom around south america to get there, and then quite possibly back around south america to re-deploy to a more profitable market, as they had to with the splendor. those cruises, by the way, were relatively inexpensive given the cruise duration and interesting itineraries.

if cruises on spirit class ships out of tampa were such a good idea (read profitable), they would still be doing them. they have confidence they will make more money as they are deployed currently.

Or......

here again i think you're really off base... in your next point you tlk about how much airfare is to hobby or intercontinental... have you checked airfare to europe recently? carnival has perennially had med sailings for the debut of a new ship, and recently tried an expanded program with both the sunshine out of dry dock, and in fact a spirit class ship, the legend within the last season.

you do know the result of that right? there are no new med itineraries planned (though likely for the vista if you ask me). they cited the immense cost of airfare not syncing with their cruiser demographic, where the airfare is more than the cost of the cruise, and they had to sell them for far below their target revenue to fill the ships.

further, carnival does not really fit well in the european market, given it is such an 'americanized' brand, yet their target demo doesn't want to travel there - or rather won't - for the same reason you site - airfare.

see above re: airfare, as you propose to the med yet think is outrageous to houston.

further, this proposal belies the fact that galveston's central location draws a disproportionately high amount of 'drive-in' cruisers. the ships there appeal to a considerably higher amount of cruisers within driving distance, especially in the houston / dallas / san antonio / austin metro areas, as well as throughout texas, oklahoma, louisiana and surrounding states. they are not marketed to the fly-in cruisers, although plenty still do! that said, i've been on cruises out of galveston, and almost everyone you meet is indeed from... texas.

it's not a question of carnival 'opening their eyes' as you suggest. in fact, they have already done most of what you have proposed - perhaps with different ships, but often even the same or very similar classes. their eyes were opened and they made business decisions reflected in the current deployment - where they are confident they will make more money. it is as simple as that.

all that said, i really find it almost laughable when people get so worked up and make such impassioned arguments - for deploying more ships to FLORIDA?! i mean really? florida has an abundance of riches in terms of the ships deployed there. tampa has its own set of problems which restrict the ships which can be positioned there - that said, i do not believe it to be any more deserving of a spirit class ship (or any other) than say baltimore - which fwiw i agree with you, should keep the pride. maybe it's time tampa builds a new terminal in line with the ships common in the industry of today, and then move one of the multiples from the likes of miami or other florida ports.

Edited by falkcor

Why doesn't everyone in Tampa quit crying and do what everyone else in the country does, travel cruise port. My god you guys are close enough to Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami that you could drive there the day of or night before. Most of America has to travel to a port to catch a cruise, often farther then you would to even to take a short cruise much less a 7 day. Yes I would be bummed if I was use to one in my back yard but it is not the end of the world and not like you don't have other options that are rather close by.

You've added such insight to this thread.:rolleyes: Go crawl back into your hole now. You obviously have no interest in the actual thread other than trying to insult a geographical group of people which is pretty lame.

Edited by fanda120608

Galveston may be an opener to some south-western states, but they cant sail 3 ships, one carrying 2800 people, another 3000 people, and the final 3600 people just by people who live within driving distance. Galveston does rely on people to fly. The itineraries aren't fresh from Galveston. Montego Bay-Grand Cayman-Cozumel gets old eventually.

I do support Galveston, but not with 3 Carnival ships. Especially when all the other lines only have 1, and if they have another, its in New Orleans. Carnival has 2 more in New Orleans! That area of the country is getting a little too many ships, that's all.

And what if the Miracle did some 6-8 night cruises from Tampa, a 6 night Visiting Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, while the 8 night visited Roatan, Limon and Colon?? That would surely draw business for numerous areas of the country. Ad that would also open up a possible Med summer season!

Rather than having to decide if you wanna go to Cozumel for the 5th time on the Freedom, which you haven't cruised before, or go to Key West, which you've been to only twice, but on the Carnival Magic, which you've cruised before.

Texas can get higher prices than the Florida ports. I just flew to Orlando for the Liberty and my flight, cabin and car service was cheaper than cruising from Galveston.

That's what I was saying :D

no, he pointed out why galveston has 3 ships.

carnival is not in the business of providing you or anyone else cheaper cruises. they are in the business of making money.

if txfatguy, as stated, can fly fron tx to orlando, and his flight, cabin and car service is cheaper than cruising out of galveston...

which port is carnival making more money from - on the cost of the CRUISE?

that is why galveston now has 3 ships, and why florida frankly has too many.