Pregnancy Policy (documentation) change

emo

First off... I'm super excited to be on board Allure this Sunday!!! :D

The actual point of this thread though, is to pass along information regarding a change in Royal Caribbean's pregnancy policy. The 24 week rule still applies (as it should), but the doctor's note is apparently not required.

Being the rule-follower that I am (or rather, not willing to risk being denied boarding at the pier :rolleyes:), I faxed in my "Fit to Travel" note to the special needs department, as directed by the RC website. For the record, I'm 20 weeks pregnant but not showing enough to where it's obvious to strangers. However, being so close to the cutoff of 24 weeks, I didn't want to take the chance.

Here is the response that I got from RC:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your inquiry.

We no longer require our pregnant guests to submit a fit to travel letter from the doctor. Since this is a new change made to our pregnancy policy it has not been updated on our website as yet, our team is currently working on this change. We are still requiring our guests to be under the 24 weeks of pregnancy in order to sail. Our guests cannot be entering, or have entered, the 24th week of pregnancy at the time during the sailing or cruise tour.

Guests will be required to fill out a Public Health Questionnaire at the pier. Towards the bottom of the questionnaire is where you will find the pregnancy subject, we have attached a copy of the questionnaire you will receive at the pier for your convenience.

We do appreciate your understanding and cooperation to our new changes. We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Access Staff

Nicole

I personally think this is a positive change by Royal Caribbean, now if only they could get that darn website updated ;). I've attached the new health questionnaire referenced in the email.

I can't help but wonder if this is a result of the situation discussed in the thread last month where the woman was denied boarding on Oasis?

New Pregnancy Notice Revised 08-07-2014-Public Health Questionnaire at the Pier.pdf

The actual point of this thread though, is to pass along information regarding a change in Royal Caribbean's pregnancy policy. The 24 week rule still applies (as it should), but the doctor's note is apparently not required.

Being the rule-follower that I am (or rather, not willing to risk being denied boarding at the pier :rolleyes:), I faxed in my "Fit to Travel" note to the special needs department, as directed by the RC website. For the record, I'm 20 weeks pregnant but not showing enough to where it's obvious to strangers. However, being so close to the cutoff of 24 weeks, I didn't want to take the chance.

Hello,

We no longer require our pregnant guests to submit a fit to travel letter from the doctor. Since this is a new change made to our pregnancy policy it has not been updated on our website as yet, our team is currently working on this change. We are still requiring our guests to be under the 24 weeks of pregnancy in order to sail. Our guests cannot be entering, or have entered, the 24th week of pregnancy at the time during the sailing or cruise tour.

Guests will be required to fill out a Public Health Questionnaire at the pier. Towards the bottom of the questionnaire is where you will find the pregnancy subject, we have attached a copy of the questionnaire you will receive at the pier for your convenience.

We do appreciate your understanding and cooperation to our new changes. We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

Best Regards,

Access Staff

Nicole

I personally think this is a positive change by Royal Caribbean, now if only they could get that darn website updated ;). I've attached the new health questionnaire referenced in the email.

I can't help but wonder if this is a result of the situation discussed in the thread last month where the woman was denied boarding on Oasis?

I would bet that this change is directly related to that unfortunate incident. A great move by RCI, just too late.

I would agree with that

Congrats on the new little C&A member, starting the journey early:D

I would agree with that

Congrats on the new little C&A member, starting the journey early:D

Thank you :)

Funny thing is, when I asked my doctor to provide a note, he didn't feel that it was any of the cruise line's business how far along the pregnancy was. He was fine with documenting whatever information I requested though. I had just read about the Oasis situation, and again, wasn't willing to take a chance. The treatment of that family was beyond ridiculous. It's a shame that something like that has to happen in order for a policy to be reformed.

I emailed them just last week and a note was still needed so it must be a very new change. My doctor also thought that it was stupid to have a specific week cutoff as long as your doctor says you are fine to travel. I'm turning 24 weeks two days after my cruise is over so I'm just squeaking by.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My doctor also thought that it was stupid to have a specific week cutoff as long as your doctor says you are fine to travel.

The cut off is necessary. Plenty of pregnant women, myself included, have delivered prematurely in an otherwise healthy pregnancy (both babies, @ 35 weeks). The cruise line does not want to assume responsibility.

Hello,

Best Regards,

Access Staff

Nicole

Thanks for the New CLIA-Pre-Boarding PDF

gc

Thanks for the info. My husband and I had booked a cruise on our honeymoon and had to cancel it because I became pregnant shortly after and would have been around 25 weeks. I was devastated at the time, but looking back, 2nd trimester was not fun for me and I had a health scare during what would have been the cruise. I get the policy, but it's nice to know that no more doctor's note is required.

The cut off is necessary. Plenty of pregnant women, myself included, have delivered prematurely in an otherwise healthy pregnancy (both babies, @ 35 weeks). The cruise line does not want to assume responsibility.

Yeah, I completely understand having several friends who had 24weekers. Plus I'm a lawyer so I definitely understand the cruise lines wanting to avoid liability. I'm just saying my doctor thought it was stupid.

Great information.

Want to extend an invitation to join our roll call, even though only very few days left before we cruise. It's a very fun and lively group that we cannot wait to meet on board!

emo, thanks for sharing this information and the new form, and best wishes on your cruise and a happy, healthy pregnancy and delivery!

I have mixed emotions about the change. While it eases some burdens, it means, of course, some women will lie, and the statistical odds are, something bad will happen. While I agree 100% that Royal screwed up in that case, it seems like a different resolution could have been found to strike the balance needed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Wished they changed the policy earlier this year. Sister was close to the 20 week mark at the time her family and mine were supposed to go on enchantment in April. Her OB refused to provide any type of letter to her. RCCL refunded her 100% while we lost out on our $500 deposit.

Despite the setback, we still had a blast in Orlando as we spent a lot of quality time together!

Great information.

Want to extend an invitation to join our roll call, even though only very few days left before we cruise. It's a very fun and lively group that we cannot wait to meet on board!

thank you for the roll call invite denamo, will be sure to pop in and say hi :)

emo, thanks for sharing this information and the new form, and best wishes on your cruise and a happy, healthy pregnancy and delivery!

I have mixed emotions about the change. While it eases some burdens, it means, of course, some women will lie, and the statistical odds are, something bad will happen. While I agree 100% that Royal screwed up in that case, it seems like a different resolution could have been found to strike the balance needed.

thank you for the well wishes!

I agree that this may open up the opportunity for some women to be less than truthful about how far along they are in their pregnancy. I think I was clear in my initial post that I completely understand why the 24 week rule exists and agree with the rationale behind it (generally accepted to be the "viability" date for the baby, with great medical intervention of course).

From the verbiage on the new health questionnaire, it still looks like Royal has their bases covered, liability wise. Unfortunately I think that you are correct that there may be a slightly increased probability of a medical emergency happening on board. But even if a note is not needed to cruise, I'd like to think that most women will still have a conversation with their doctor and follow his/her advice regarding any travel plans.

Wished they changed the policy earlier this year. Sister was close to the 20 week mark at the time her family and mine were supposed to go on enchantment in April. Her OB refused to provide any type of letter to her. RCCL refunded her 100% while we lost out on our $500 deposit.

Despite the setback, we still had a blast in Orlando as we spent a lot of quality time together!

Sorry to hear that RCI wouldn't refund your deposit (or even apply it to a different cruise?), but glad you were able to salvage the trip! I'm in Orlando quite a bit for work, and it's not a bad place to spend a week :)

thank you for the roll call invite denamo, will be sure to pop in and say hi :)

thank you for the well wishes!

I agree that this may open up the opportunity for some women to be less than truthful about how far along they are in their pregnancy. I think I was clear in my initial post that I completely understand why the 24 week rule exists and agree with the rationale behind it (generally accepted to be the "viability" date for the baby, with great medical intervention of course).

From the verbiage on the new health questionnaire, it still looks like Royal has their bases covered, liability wise. Unfortunately I think that you are correct that there may be a slightly increased probability of a medical emergency happening on board. But even if a note is not needed to cruise, I'd like to think that most women will still have a conversation with their doctor and follow his/her advice regarding any travel plans.

Sorry to hear that RCI wouldn't refund your deposit (or even apply it to a different cruise?), but glad you were able to salvage the trip! I'm in Orlando quite a bit for work, and it's not a bad place to spend a week :)

We couldn't get the deposit moved to another sailing. However, we were blessed with the KSF promo earlier this year.

Just as I'm typing this, my sis is in labor and probably going to deliver some time today! So happy!

Just wanted to say I emailed special needs again just to double check and they did indeed confirm that a doctor's note is no longer needed! (I'm still taking my note just in case since I will be just barely making it before 24 weeks- plus I already have the note from my doc. :))

• 2 months later...

I hadn't checked in a while, but I noticed today when I looked that they finally changed the FAQ online and it no longer includes the statement about the doctor's note. I am glad, because now I don't have to bother my doctor with it for my sailing next month!