Dash sale and price drop policy

seaofwonder

No. If you've gone through a TA (Travel Agent) they will do the investigating for you but may charge you to make any changes to your reservation.

Good luck.

I booked my cruise on the Breakaway through a travel service (A popular Warehouse Store) and they recently changed it for a price drop for free, but told me that any future change would cost $25.

As an FYI you can put a courtesy hold on any cabin right on NCL's website, you must enter the passenger information and and whether or not you want insurance and then when you get to the payment page just put a hold on it, it lasts a few days except when its very close to sailing then it is only a 3 hour hold.

Thanks, I knew that . . . I used a TA for this cruise as they gave real good OBC . . . Plus they did put a hold and we booked. No change fee, so we'll keep looking.

Unrelated to the quoted post. There have been a number of times that we have either upgraded or received obc from the cruise line after final payment when they dropped prices. Not 100% success, but close. It never hurts to ask!

Hello,

Thinking of jumping ship from Royal for a cruise next summer. Good price right now, but I am wondering what a dash sale normally offers?

Does Norwegian allow you to have price drops until final payment?

Thinking of booking now before a sale artificially inflates prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been able to take advantage if price drops after final payment, keep my obc actually obtained $40 more, with no rebooking. My PCC is awesome

Please ignore the suggestions to book early if you want the best deal.

For most situations, that is horrible advice.

There are a few situations when booking early might get you the best deal:

1) You want a suite (particularly a suite type that is hard to get and/or popular)

-or-

2) You are booking an itinerary with a limited number of sailings (Alaska does not count for this, btw)

-or-

3) You are booking a popular sailing for Christmas or New Year's

In most typical situations, you will get the best deal after final payment date, usually about 14-50 days before the cruise date. If you're looking for the best value, that's when to book, and there are usually plenty of inside, oceanview, and balcony staterooms to choose from at that point.

If you are happy upgrading (such as buying an inside for an inflated price early, and then upgrading to a balcony for very little after the massive price drops), then booking early is fine.

Otherwise, it's usually a mistake if your main motivation is to save money.

Take this from a guy who has bought at the exact low point in both NCL cruises he's taken.

I find you advise terribly misleading and basically wrong for MANY NCL sailings. Granted some of the NYC sailings and Florida sailings you find some good pricing after final but Certainly NOT as a general rule for NCL. First any Suite category and YES Mini Suites are at the best pricing very early usually more than a year out or unless NCL or a Travel Agent has a special offer then it may be about 6 to 7 months out.

Good example is my upcoming Jewel cruise in early November. I booked in April and from about 3 weeks after I booked till now which is right at final the pricing $300 PP over what I paid, the Balconies are almost $500 PP more. All of the Star Panama Canal cruises have more than doubled in Price for this fall from what they were 11 months ago and those are past final. Alaska is another destination that booking early and watching for specials very early is going to get you the best possible price.

I have found for the most part that it is a MUST to book early with NCL and watch the pricing. The only time the bargains come up last minute are with Shoulder season and there tends to be more cancellations with sailings out of NYC and MIA but your West Coast, Hawaii, peak season and other locations where there is only one ship sailing I would not count on a price drop.

As far as getting the lower price if it does drop after you are booked, that is also not a problem there really is NO rebooking involved. Your reservation number will remain the same. Just be careful you could lose some perks so always ask some times the price drop outweighs the loss of the perks sometimes NOT.

Even if you change sailings or even ships your reservation number stays the same NCL considers it a move Not a total rebooking.

I can think of a couple other cruise lines that in the past I gave the recommendation to wait till after final but never ever NCL.

As far as inflated pricing before a sale;) YES NCL does it a little bit but not all the time, but nothing like RCI, Celebrity or CCL. Actually CCL is the worst, You want their $50.00 PP ship board credit offer great but the price is now $50.00 PP more to get just $50 per cabin :D

I find you advise terribly misleading and basically wrong for MANY NCL sailings. Granted some of the NYC sailings and Florida sailings you find some good pricing after final but Certainly NOT as a general rule for NCL. First any Suite category and YES Mini Suites are at the best pricing very early usually more than a year out or unless NCL or a Travel Agent has a special offer then it may be about 6 to 7 months out.

Good example is my upcoming Jewel cruise in early November. I booked in April and from about 3 weeks after I booked till now which is right at final the pricing $300 PP over what I paid, the Balconies are almost $500 PP more. All of the Star Panama Canal cruises have more than doubled in Price for this fall from what they were 11 months ago and those are past final. Alaska is another destination that booking early and watching for specials very early is going to get you the best possible price.

I have found for the most part that it is a MUST to book early with NCL and watch the pricing. The only time the bargains come up last minute are with Shoulder season and there tends to be more cancellations with sailings out of NYC and MIA but your West Coast, Hawaii, peak season and other locations where there is only one ship sailing I would not count on a price drop.

As far as getting the lower price if it does drop after you are booked, that is also not a problem there really is NO rebooking involved. Your reservation number will remain the same. Just be careful you could lose some perks so always ask some times the price drop outweighs the loss of the perks sometimes NOT.

Even if you change sailings or even ships your reservation number stays the same NCL considers it a move Not a total rebooking.

I can think of a couple other cruise lines that in the past I gave the recommendation to wait till after final but never ever NCL.

As far as inflated pricing before a sale;) YES NCL does it a little bit but not all the time, but nothing like RCI, Celebrity or CCL. Actually CCL is the worst, You want their $50.00 PP ship board credit offer great but the price is now $50.00 PP more to get just $50 per cabin :D

I already said that suites are a different story, as their inventory is limited and NCL does not dump them last-minute for bargain prices.

I disagree about mini-suites. Those are plentiful and usually see reductions after final payment date (though admittedly not very large reductions).

However, you are COMPLETELY INCORRECT about inside/oceanview/balcony bookings.

Go take a look at the data for ALL of this year's Alaska cruises on NCL. They had sharp reductions in price well after final payment date. I'm talking about hundreds of dollars per person, even for insides. And I'm not talking about "shoulder season", as you claimed. I am referring to mid-summer cruises, such as June, July, and August.

Amazingly, you cited Alaska as an itinerary where one can't get the best prices after final payment date. Do you want me to post my confirmation PDF of my $349+tax inside, booked about 50 days before my early August sailing? (That same room was $679 on final payment date, btw.)

But it's not just Alaska. It's every mainstream 7-day itinerary that has many sailings, such as Caribbean, Bahamas, and others.

You are citing things like Panama canal cruises. Those are limited itinerary cruises, and not of the 7-day variety. That's a different story.

But for the TYPICAL NCL cruiser (and reader of this forum), the best deals on inside/oceanview/balcony are had AFTER final payment date.

Why do you think they have a final payment date? It's so NCL can lock everyone into the price they actually want to charge, and then can dump the remaining rooms cheap without everyone calling for a reduction. If the best prices really were early, the final payment date rule wouldn't exist.

You can mention your anecdotal evidence over and over of "the best deals are early", but it's simply not correct advice in general. It is not correct for NCL, and it's not correct for any comparable lines. That advice is only correct for certain specific circumstances which I already mentioned in my first post.

We have seen soooooo many threads on this forum from people whining about the price reductions that occurred after final payment date (often steep reductions), and yet you are still trying to pass off horrible advice that only shoulder season cruises are like that.

I already said that suites are a different story, as their inventory is limited and NCL does not dump them last-minute for bargain prices.

I disagree about mini-suites. Those are plentiful and usually see reductions after final payment date (though admittedly not very large reductions).

However, you are COMPLETELY INCORRECT about inside/oceanview/balcony bookings.

Go take a look at the data for ALL of this year's Alaska cruises on NCL. They had sharp reductions in price well after final payment date. I'm talking about hundreds of dollars per person, even for insides. And I'm not talking about "shoulder season", as you claimed. I am referring to mid-summer cruises, such as June, July, and August.

Amazingly, you cited Alaska as an itinerary where one can't get the best prices after final payment date. Do you want me to post my confirmation PDF of my $349+tax inside, booked about 50 days before my early August sailing? (That same room was $679 on final payment date, btw.)

But it's not just Alaska. It's every mainstream 7-day itinerary that has many sailings, such as Caribbean, Bahamas, and others.

You are citing things like Panama canal cruises. Those are limited itinerary cruises, and not of the 7-day variety. That's a different story.

But for the TYPICAL NCL cruiser (and reader of this forum), the best deals on inside/oceanview/balcony are had AFTER final payment date.

Why do you think they have a final payment date? It's so NCL can lock everyone into the price they actually want to charge, and then can dump the remaining rooms cheap without everyone calling for a reduction. If the best prices really were early, the final payment date rule wouldn't exist.

You can mention your anecdotal evidence over and over of "the best deals are early", but it's simply not correct advice in general. It is not correct for NCL, and it's not correct for any comparable lines. That advice is only correct for certain specific circumstances which I already mentioned in my first post.

We have seen soooooo many threads on this forum from people whining about the price reductions that occurred after final payment date (often steep reductions), and yet you are still trying to pass off horrible advice that only shoulder season cruises are like that.

But your point is all about YOU, I could show you at least 50 reservations for Alaska cruises that booked in September 2013 for many sailings this summer that the price they paid went way up, then YES the price took a huge drop but in every single case because they bought early had a special pricing they still paid less than the bottom barrel price a few weeks before sailing. You are missing some key points here and there are many prices that are extremely low at about 1 year to 9 months from the sailing. NCL has a hand full of Travel Agent partners that they give special pricing to that is lower than what NCL even offers. One has to be SMART by shopping early and yes watch prices. You also have to remember that Cruise Critic really only has about 10% of the cruising population that actually posts and are memebers, do you think from the 10% of the cruising population you are truly getting the true story :rolleyes:

. You also have to remember that Cruise Critic really only has about 10% of the cruising population that actually posts and are memebers, do you think from the 10% of the cruising population you are truly getting the true story :rolleyes:

I can't speak for PP5, but yeah, 10% of any population works for me. If the sample is random, a 1% sample is sufficient. CCers are non-random, but are often smarter than the average bear, so a 10% sample is more than enough.

PP5's point is valid: if prices didn't get super-cheap close to sailing date, there'd be no need for final payments dates, would there?

But your point is all about YOU, I could show you at least 50 reservations for Alaska cruises that booked in September 2013 for many sailings this summer that the price they paid went way up, then YES the price took a huge drop but in every single case because they bought early had a special pricing they still paid less than the bottom barrel price a few weeks before sailing. You are missing some key points here and there are many prices that are extremely low at about 1 year to 9 months from the sailing. NCL has a hand full of Travel Agent partners that they give special pricing to that is lower than what NCL even offers. One has to be SMART by shopping early and yes watch prices. You also have to remember that Cruise Critic really only has about 10% of the cruising population that actually posts and are memebers, do you think from the 10% of the cruising population you are truly getting the true story :rolleyes:

Again, you are saying things that simply are not true.

The NCF for Alaksa cruises is around $240. As NCF is included in the posted fares on ncl.com, a cruise fare of $349/pp is just $109 above NCF. Bottom line: There is no chance NCL was selling inside cabins early for $109 above NCF.

I defy you to show me a single 7-day cruise that I can buy any room right now prior to final payment date for $109 (or less) above NCF.

It's not just insides, either.

The much-coveted balcony rooms on my cruise (August 4, a desirable date) were going for $729/pp at their lowest point. That's $489 above NCF.

The prices for those same rooms ranged between $1099 and $1599 per person prior to final payment date. I know this because I watched it closely. Again, I defy you to show me any balcony I can buy for an early August Alaska cruise prior to final payment date for $729. Won't happen.

Your points about the best deals being early violate the basic concept of NCL's (and most other lines) final payment deadline. It would not exist if the best deals to be had were early.

I don't know your individual situation, aside from your signature indicating that you take a lot of cruises.

Nobody wants to admit that they're not a crafty consumer, or that the guy next to them got a better deal on the same thing. I have found that a lot of the "early bookers" rationalize a lot, and live in a state of denial regarding the money they could really save if they booked late.

I am not going to tell you when to book, but you are doing CC members a disservice by trying to convince them to book early for the best deals on inside/oceanview/balcony rooms on most cruises.

Edited by pokerpro5

I can't speak for ncl, but for every single cruise I've been (only a sample size of 12) my category never dropped below what I paid 6-12 months out (after final payment). I always book a balcony. What I do find, however, is that the mini-suite (jr suite on Royal) usually fall after final payment and I upgrade for free or for a pittance.

As an educator I only book during premium times: Christmas week, spring break, summer. So that may be why.

Edited by seaofwonder

I can't speak for ncl, but for every single cruise I've been (only a sample size of 12) my category never dropped below what I paid 6-12 months out (after final payment). I always book a balcony. What I do find, however, is that the mini-suite (jr suite on Royal) usually fall after final payment and I upgrade for free or for a pittance.

As an educator I only book during premium times: Christmas week, spring break, summer. So that may be why.

Christmas sometimes behaves this way.

Spring and summer don't, aside from unusual itineraries that don't sail very often.

Can you tell me where you sailed in these examples?

And how were you verifying the prices hadnt dropped?

Edited by pokerpro5

I was verifying by checking prices online. I usually check daily until I can snag the upgrade and then afterwards I check just to see if I got the best deal. I've also used the service online that others used, but stopped when they began charging.

The cruises Are listed in my signature but were a mix of Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe.

My Baltics dropped a bit before final and then rocketed up to higher than I paid after final. As a recent example.

I was verifying by checking prices online. I usually check daily until I can snag the upgrade and then afterwards I check just to see if I got the best deal. I've also used the service online that others used, but stopped when they began charging.

The cruises Are listed in my signature but were a mix of Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe.

My Baltics dropped a bit before final and then rocketed up to higher than I paid after final. As a recent example.

Okay, I just looked at your sig.

I can't speak for the Baltics or Europe, as I haven't really examined those too closely.

However, for sure the Caribbean and Alaska cruises have had sharp reductions after final payment date, so I don't know what you were seeing.

I have noticed that you appear to have only taken one NCL cruise, so perhaps that's also where we are seeing the difference. While in general prices fall on other lines, I am most familiar with NCL and Princess prices in recent years.

I will tell you that ALL Alaska cruises on NCL in 2014 saw huge price drops after final payment date. I watched this closely because I actually took one this summer, and in fact snagged nearly a 50% discount about 50 days out.

I will tell you that all Caribbean cruises I looked at in 2013 (again, I took one) saw price drops after final payment date. The only ones that didn't see appreciable drops were during Christmas week, and even those hit their low point in most basic categories (about $100 lower) after final payment date.

If getting a specific room is important to you (or if it's really important to get two very close together), then you should book early. If value is important to you, and if you aren't booking a suite or a limited-sailing itinerary, then you're best off waiting until after final payment when they dump those rooms.

Okay, I just looked at your sig.

I can't speak for the Baltics or Europe, as I haven't really examined those too closely.

However, for sure the Caribbean and Alaska cruises have had sharp reductions after final payment date, so I don't know what you were seeing.

I have noticed that you appear to have only taken one NCL cruise, so perhaps that's also where we are seeing the difference. While in general prices fall on other lines, I am most familiar with NCL and Princess prices in recent years.

I will tell you that ALL Alaska cruises on NCL in 2014 saw huge price drops after final payment date. I watched this closely because I actually took one this summer, and in fact snagged nearly a 50% discount about 50 days out.

I will tell you that all Caribbean cruises I looked at in 2013 (again, I took one) saw price drops after final payment date. The only ones that didn't see appreciable drops were during Christmas week, and even those hit their low point in most basic categories (about $100 lower) after final payment date.

If getting a specific room is important to you (or if it's really important to get two very close together), then you should book early. If value is important to you, and if you aren't booking a suite or a limited-sailing itinerary, then you're best off waiting until after final payment when they dump those rooms.

Yes, my experience is generally on royal. I'm getting ready to book a 12 day med cruise. It's a route that is very expensive on other lines and I am comfortable with the price that ncl currently has....so I'll book now and just watch. The price difference between balcony and suites is really high (as is the difference between ocean and balcony), but maybe they'll fall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, my experience is generally on royal. I'm getting ready to book a 12 day med cruise. It's a route that is very expensive on other lines and I am comfortable with the price that ncl currently has....so I'll book now and just watch. The price difference between balcony and suites is really high (as is the difference between ocean and balcony), but maybe they'll fall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yeah, things like the 12-day Med cruise are harder to judge price-wise, so I can understand not wanting to gamble with prices on that.

The price difference between balcony and suites is always high, but there is a pretty big difference in what you get. However, I think a mini suite is a poor value in most cases, unless you can get it for close to the price you pay for a balcony. It's really just a bigger balcony room without the suite perks.

The price difference between oceanview and balcony is sometimes high (depends on the sailing), but is also a big difference. Being able to actually walk/sit outside from the privacy of your own room is huge, especially on scenery-type cruises like Alaska.

I don't think an oceanview is much better than an inside, because you're still trapped inside the room, and the oceanviews are usually fairly low on the ship anyway.

I ended up booking last night and the only thing I see today is an extra $50 OBC. Emailed the TA, but I won't be heartbroken if I don't get it.

Now I just play the price tracking game for the next 9 months :)

I am over a year out so I'm going to take the $50 onboard credit my price remains the same

Looking at the prices today for the supposed "Dash Sale" - I must say that the sale was actually over the weekend. Prices were less on Friday and Saturday. And I checked with a TA before booking directly with NCL and the TA told me her prices would be the same...

Looking at the prices today for the supposed "Dash Sale" - I must say that the sale was actually over the weekend. Prices were less on Friday and Saturday. And I checked with a TA before booking directly with NCL and the TA told me her prices would be the same...

I checked each day over the last few days and there was no change at all on the cruise I bought. At my TA I saw a few dollar change, but it is still higher than when I bought last month. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad