Pinnacle Ship - Keel Layed

RD64

Interestingly enough, she also said that another cruise line (although she couldn't disclose which one) was ordering a boat that was basically the same exact ship and their passenger count was somewhere around in the 3,000's.. I wish I could remember the exact number cause it was absolutely shocking!!

She may have been talking about the Carnival Vista (2016) which is going to be about 36,000 grt larger than HAL's Pinnacle holding between 3900 - 4000 passengers. Rumor has it that the Vista will be an enlarged Vista/Spirit class ship and that Carnival may be ordering another soon.

UGLY! I can't find much attractive from bow to stern. :eek:

Actually hadn't seen the Epic in person until this May when she was docked across from us in Civitavecchia, Italy. Needless to say she didn't look a whole lot better up close. As I recall they had options to build a couple more with this design but between cost overruns during the construction of the Epic and general poor public reception of the design the other two were cancelled.

We love cruising HAL because of the smaller ship sizes. Have cruised the Eurodam twice and enjoyed both cruises' date=' but that size is about the max I would like to see. We took a RCL cruise in "06 on Explorer of the Seas just to make sure we weren't missing anything by only cruising HAL. Our previous 2 cruises had been on the Zuiderdam, a ship approx. the same size as EOS; however, the same size ship had about a 3500 passenger count. While we enjoyed our cruise and met some lovely people, we did not enjoy waiting in line for just about everything. we came back to HAL because of the space to passenger ratio AND ship size. I hope HAL does not go the way of so many mass market cruise lines. Bigger is not always better. JMHO.[/quote']

To me, EOS (2012) seemed a lot bigger than Zuiderdam (2007). But as you can see there were a number of years between the cruises. I was on Oosterdam in '08 and Westerdam in '09. You've made me curious, so I am going to check out the ship specs.

Actually hadn't seen the Epic in person until this May when she was docked across from us in Civitavecchia, Italy. Needless to say she didn't look a whole lot better up close. As I recall they had options to build a couple more with this design but between cost overruns during the construction of the Epic and general poor public reception of the design the other two were cancelled.

It was more expensive, the public didn't like it, there were issues with sinks and overall bathroom arrangement and a couple "suspicious" fires at the shipyard.

"Project F3" (Epic's code name) then evolved into Breakaway and Getaway then breakaway PLUS which is what Escape and Bliss plus 2 more on order will be... that resembles Epic a little more but overall better looking in how it's applied

I am encouraged to see that a Senior Vice President and a Vice President from HAL in Seattle was in attendance at this event. That makes me feel more certain that this newbuild will indeed be a HAL vessel. Plus, the comments made on the HAL Blog by Stan Kuppens as the Hotel Director-designate indicate that she will become a --Dam ship.

A concern about the Keel laying, however:

The shipyard official in attendance, nor the HAL officials in attendance, were not the most Senior officials that I would expect for such an event.

I have to wonder why.

Or, am I expecting too much?

There is another section of the ship that recently arrived at the Monfalcone yard. Apparently they are going to spend the next couple of months building on that one before towing it down to Marghera to join the rest of the ship.

Where did you hear about this? Not doubting it as this is precisely what they did with Nieuw Amsterdam... just curious where that news came from as I haven't seen that release

...and I've been looking :)

Well it was in a news article. Ill see if I can dig it up. In the meantime here are a few pics that I had found of the other part of Hull 6142 (Pinnacle) at Monfalcone.

http://www.naviearmatori.net/ita/foto-202274-1.html

http://www.naviearmatori.net/ita/foto-202275-1.html

http://www.naviearmatori.net/ita/foto-202282-1.html