Pinnacle Ship - Keel Layed

RD64

Many thanks for this link. I find it very interesting that Stein Kruse was not in attendance. Pardon me for being a doubting Thomas, but this ship will not see revenue service until the 4th Quarter of 2016 at the earliest.

An earlier post on CC stated that it would not be launched until early 2016. If that is accurate, the fitting out in wet dock takes place for another 9-10 months. That is the reason for my 4th Quarter, 2016 date.

And, I noticed the tonnage increased by 500 tons, according to the news release.

Edited by rkacruiser

And, I noticed the tonnage increased by 500 tons, according to the news release.

Depending on what release you read... the first announcement of a new ship, the steel cutting, the keel laying, that Tihany is one of the designers, etc it has fluxuated between 99,000 and 99,500 tons. Pax count has shown 2600 and 2660. This is the first time I've seen 2650

Fun stuff :)

We love cruising HAL because of the smaller ship sizes. Have cruised the Eurodam twice and enjoyed both cruises, but that size is about the max I would like to see. We took a RCL cruise in "06 on Explorer of the Seas just to make sure we weren't missing anything by only cruising HAL. Our previous 2 cruises had been on the Zuiderdam, a ship approx. the same size as EOS; however, the same size ship had about a 3500 passenger count. While we enjoyed our cruise and met some lovely people, we did not enjoy waiting in line for just about everything. we came back to HAL because of the space to passenger ratio AND ship size. I hope HAL does not go the way of so many mass market cruise lines. Bigger is not always better. JMHO.

Is there a rendering of the ship?

Nothing recent, and I have it under good authority the top decks won't look exactly like this... a couple larger components are different, but here are the ones that have been floating around since HAL's 140th bday

Pinnacle_Class_Ship.jpg

pinnacle_530x280.jpg

Speaking for the view of loving to watch documentaries on building ships I'd love to see one for the new HAL ship. Speaking from the view of a potential cruiser I'll take a pass....too big for my tastes.

Hear, hear! We are small ship fans also, but not the really expensive ones.

Is there a rendering of the ship?

No one know what it will look like- not even Fincanteri. The shipyard is just going to start building it and ad lib- no need for pesky plans and blueprints. Kinda like building a shed in the back yard :D

The current Vista class is just the right size for our tastes. We've sailed larger ships on other lines but missed the coziness of the HAL ships. I feel like 800 more passengers will eliminate some of that feeling.

I know there are others that like 'em bigger and more adventuresome - my best friend and her DH will now only sail RCCL's mega ships Oasis and Allure. More power to them :)

In my lifetime .... As long as HAL continues to sail the smaller ships I'm with 'em :)

Nothing recent, and I have it under good authority the top decks won't look exactly like this... a couple larger components are different, but here are the ones that have been floating around since HAL's 140th bday

Pinnacle_Class_Ship.jpg

pinnacle_530x280.jpg

Looks like the Queen Elizabeth to me. Easy to move around between lines I guess

Edited by frankc98376

No one know what it will look like- not even Fincanteri. The shipyard is just going to start building it and ad lib- no need for pesky plans and blueprints. Kinda like building a shed in the back yard :D

If that were the case it would look a lot like THIS rendering from Fincantieri for Carnival (incidentally enough, the Pinnacle Class) of about 15 years ago... This was legendary for getting leaked online and people freaked out.

Even in the age of Oasis/Allure and those crazy new MSC concepts, this still takes the cake as the fugliest thing that ever ALMOST sailed the 7 seas

Ad_3240_12.jpg

Last week on our cruise at a future cruise information session they told us the passenger size was about that number 2,600 something. The future cruise consultant told us that they know that some people are nervous about the size of the ship cause it's larger than HAL is used to, but she assured us that it would still have plenty of space and not feel crowded. She said it would be like other HAL ships that you could find quiet spaces and not always be around people.

Interestingly enough, she also said that another cruise line (although she couldn't disclose which one) was ordering a boat that was basically the same exact ship and their passenger count was somewhere around in the 3,000's.. I wish I could remember the exact number cause it was absolutely shocking!!

Last week on our cruise at a future cruise information session they told us the passenger size was about that number 2,600 something. The future cruise consultant told us that they know that some people are nervous about the size of the ship cause it's larger than HAL is used to, but she assured us that it would still have plenty of space and not feel crowded. She said it would be like other HAL ships that you could find quiet spaces and not always be around people.

Interestingly enough, she also said that another cruise line (although she couldn't disclose which one) was ordering a boat that was basically the same exact ship and their passenger count was somewhere around in the 3,000's.. I wish I could remember the exact number cause it was absolutely shocking!!

The only ship near identical that I'm familiar with is Mein Schiff 3 (and they just added orders for a #4 and #5). 99,700 tons but only 2500 pax. And in my opinion, at least compared to the renderings that I posted earlier in this thread, except for the cursive on the blue portion of the hull, Mein Schiff 3 is more attractive aesthetically.

I don't know of anything else at 99,000 tons being built right now with over 3000 people.

If that were the case it would look a lot like THIS rendering from Fincantieri for Carnival (incidentally enough, the Pinnacle Class) of about 15 years ago... This was legendary for getting leaked online and people freaked out.

Even in the age of Oasis/Allure and those crazy new MSC concepts, this still takes the cake as the fugliest thing that ever ALMOST sailed the 7 seas

I think this is the ugliest one that saw the light of day.

Norwegian-Epic-leaving-Southampton-for-New-York-seen-off-Calshot-24th-June-2010-Nigel-Robinson.jpg