Just off Grandeur with bed bug issue

It can be done with chemicals but the cabin would not be usable for at least a week.

If it was just one bed Bug with no evidence of others or infestation then the OP possibly picked up a hitch hiker on their luggage and reason RCI just fumigated the cabin and changed the mattress.

My wife is allergic to bed bug bites and she comes up in huge welts that last over 2 weeks:eek:

We travel to Asia a lot but we always carry a thin plastic drop sheet to cover a bed first night if we arrive late.

With me they just leave small red bites that are gone within the day but my wife has been covered from head to toe after only one nights feeding lol

Some people have no idea how hard it is to eradicate bed bugs but Ultra High Temperature as you say is the most affective.

I only saw 1 but as mentioned before we were told they did find others and evidence but it was a small infestation. I also saw evidence which were a coue excretion spots on mattress and linen. I did not inspect everywhere nor did I lift up whole mattress. The eradicator did however and evidence was found so most likely no hitchhiker on our luggage. It is hard to get rid of. My mom had them years ago and it was a time when it was just becoming a great problem again and she bought sprays and all kinds of chemicals. Eventually she got new furniture and an exterminator to get rid of them. She was also allergic

I think I know how it feels after you know that they were there ...... our house had to be completely cleaned / disinfected after we did catch two of them, when we got back from that vacation ...... and for weeks or even months after, we kept looking at the beds, walls, floors .... everywhere .... very uneasy feeling.

It is so hard to tell how they got in the cabin. Could be that they got a 'ride' on some luggage .... they can move from one luggage to another ..... they could get on someone's clothing from a seat ...... even the plane's seat ..... so many ways they can be transported.

I am not 100% sure how we got them ..... but suspect one hotel in Yellowstone, it was dark in that cabin and we did get some bites, did not think much about that at that time ..... did not even know at that time what a 'bed bug "was.

After the discovery back home - the panic started.

Even now, about 10 years later, we are so worried about every time we stay in a hotel ....... first thing we do when we walk in the hotel room - take the bed covering off and look at the mattress seems...... not a guarantee but a good start.

We carry a thin plastic drop sheet in our luggage, if you get caught in a room with bed bugs late at night (when they come out in the dark) you can cover the entire bed and headrest with the plastic sheet;)

Once bitten twice shy lol, we turn up every mattress in every hotel regardless the star rating but sometime you dont see the evidence until they start to bite and you cant always change rooms in the AM:(

I think I know how it feels after you know that they were there ...... our house had to be completely cleaned / disinfected after we did catch two of them, when we got back from that vacation ...... and for weeks or even months after, we kept looking at the beds, walls, floors .... everywhere .... very uneasy feeling.

It is so hard to tell how they got in the cabin. Could be that they got a 'ride' on some luggage .... they can move from one luggage to another ..... they could get on someone's clothing from a seat ...... even the plane's seat ..... so many ways they can be transported.

I am not 100% sure how we got them ..... but suspect one hotel in Yellowstone, it was dark in that cabin and we did get some bites, did not think much about that at that time ..... did not even know at that time what a 'bed bug "was.

After the discovery back home - the panic started.

Even now, about 10 years later, we are so worried about every time we stay in a hotel ....... first thing we do when we walk in the hotel room - take the bed covering off and look at the mattress seems...... not a guarantee but a good start.

We have never been affected by bedbugs but as you, whenever we walk into a hotel room AND on cruises the first thing we do is pull back the sheets and check the mattress, headboard and box spring. Scary, especially as, they can move from one piece of luggage to another and be easily brought into a room that way.

So glad that the ship took this so seriously and handled this the way they did...very good to know.

I only saw 1 but as mentioned before we were told they did find others and evidence but it was a small infestation. I also saw evidence which were a coue excretion spots on mattress and linen. I did not inspect everywhere nor did I lift up whole mattress. The eradicator did however and evidence was found so most likely no hitchhiker on our luggage. It is hard to get rid of. My mom had them years ago and it was a time when it was just becoming a great problem again and she bought sprays and all kinds of chemicals. Eventually she got new furniture and an exterminator to get rid of them. She was also allergic

Can you please give cabin number. Will be on Grandeur this November.

The only way to treat a room is with extreme heat which is expensive. Doesn't sound like they did it properly at all and if they didn't the whole ship could be infested that would in turn spread to all ships.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

This is how rumors and wide spread panic happen.

Although heat treating for bed bugs is an option, it is NOT the only option. As a former manager in the hospitality industry, I've seen my share of bed bug. I've had several rooms eradicated through chemical treatment, just as effectively as heat treated rooms.

As far as if they did it right or not. Unless anyone on here was in the room with them, there is no need to speculate that it was done wrong and that the whole ship and entire fleet is in danger.

I'm sure it is not the first nor will it be the last time that RCI will have a bed bug issue. However, it is an evil that can't be prevented because of the ability for literally anyone to carry them one with them.

Can you please give cabin number. Will be on Grandeur this November.

Cabin was inside 3515. As mentioned didn't see anymore after treatment of cabin, but advise for any cabin you stay in to be diligent and check. The ship did take very good care of us and the situation

Then its good you posted your cabin number as RCI cannot eradicate Bed Bugs by just fumigating and cleanning! They need to treat the cabin with Ultra High temperature or the alternative Chemical eradication which would leave the cabin uninhabitable for days!

Although heat treating for bed bugs is an option, it is NOT the only option. As a former manager in the hospitality industry, I've seen my share of bed bug. I've had several rooms eradicated through chemical treatment, just as effectively as heat treated rooms.

As far as if they did it right or not. Unless anyone on here was in the room with them, there is no need to speculate that it was done wrong and that the whole ship and entire fleet is in danger.

I'm sure it is not the first nor will it be the last time that RCI will have a bed bug issue. However, it is an evil that can't be prevented because of the ability for literally anyone to carry them one with them.

Then you would know that eradication through chemicals would not allow the OP to use the cabin for the entire withholding period let alone return the same day! By this we can speculate that it was either not done properly or OP accidentally introduced the one bug:)

Then you would know that eradication through chemicals would not allow the OP to use the cabin for the entire withholding period let alone return the same day! By this we can speculate that it was either not done properly or OP accidentally introduced the one bug:)

Don't know how many times I can comment that it was not 1 bug. Don't know if it was done right or not as we only saw the 1 . But as mentioned we were told there were more and they were found as also evidence if them even though it was a small infestation. For it to be an infestation it had to be there already as I do not have in my home and have not been on vacation in 2 years .

Then its good you posted your cabin number as RCI cannot eradicate Bed Bugs by just fumigating and cleanning! They need to treat the cabin with Ultra High temperature or the alternative Chemical eradication which would leave the cabin uninhabitable for days!

Using the opposite of heat, cold is how they are now treating infestations.

Basically a CO2 fire extinguisher modified so that the snow like spray can be controlled. The combination CO2 gas and the extreme cold kills them and their eggs instantly with no damage to bedding or almost anything the spray hits.

Along with the CO2, which is used on all areas that a person normally comes in contact with, chemical insecticides are used in areas along baseboards, in recesses and electrical outlets where they tend to hide.

Once the combination treatment is finished the room can be occupied with no problems.

I have no idea if that was the method used, but it is now used by many extermination companies in place of chemical fumigation.

OMO

bosco

Cabin was inside 3515. As mentioned didn't see anymore after treatment of cabin, but advise for any cabin you stay in to be diligent and check. The ship did take very good care of us and the situation

Thank you, we will be on same deck. Will have to inspect thoroughly.

Don't know how many times I can comment that it was not 1 bug. Don't know if it was done right or not as we only saw the 1 . But as mentioned we were told there were more and they were found as also evidence if them even though it was a small infestation. For it to be an infestation it had to be there already as I do not have in my home and have not been on vacation in 2 years .

Sorry I wasnt pointing the finger as you have already explained:) But the fact that chemical treatment would not allow you to return to your cabin so soon.

If in fact it can be treated as above post then thats good but the chemicals used around furniture and the like would still not allow you to return to the same cabin so soon after unless they have introduced safer chemicals with a much lower Ld50.

Yes chemical treatments do work, but from what I have observed over the years is that heat & a little chemical in cracks & crevices seems to work best.

What you & I both know is that The Hotel or The Ship had no involvement in bringing in the bed bugs. It was the customer that did! But the Hotels and Cruise Ships are the ones to get the bad reviews wrote about them!

Not necessarily so. The laws may be different in Australia then elsewhere. Here unless it was a space treatment ( which don't work on bed bugs) you can return immediately almost. I would guess Royal has a portable heat machine, used a sanitizing product and maybe crack & crevice with chemical. No need to shut down room.

Edited by killtheump

Yes chemical treatments do work, but from what I have observed over the years is that heat & a little chemical in cracks & crevices seems to work best.

What you & I both know is that The Hotel or The Ship had no involvement in bringing in the bed bugs. It was the customer that did! But the Hotels and Cruise Ships are the ones to get the bad reviews wrote about them!

Not necessarily so. The laws may be different in Australia then elsewhere. Here unless it was a space treatment ( which don't work on bed bugs) you can return immediately almost. I would guess Royal has a portable heat machine, used a sanitizing product and maybe crack & crevice with chemical. No need to shut down room.

I would like to see a M.S.D.S on that chemical that allows you to return immediately.

I travel every week for my job and stay in hundreds of hotels. As you can imagine, I have run across beg bugs during my time. Currently there is a major come back of the little critters. Believe it or not there are many, many hotels with reported bed bugs. Especially in the Northeast U.S.

I've seen bedbugs in Embassy Suites, Hampton Inns, Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inns, Marriott Residence and very expensive hotels such as the Hilton and the Ritz Carlton.

I always take many of the precautions already pointed out in this thread. One of the things I always do is check the bed bug registry at bedbugregistry (dot) com. They don't yet include Cruise ships but they do register people reporting them in hotels. I always check the registry before I book. I avoid the hotels with multiple reports.

Check the registry for reports before you book a hotel. You will be surprised how many reports are out there. The registry has all kinds of tips to look for the bugs and things to prevent getting the bugs. For instance, never lay your luggage on the bed....

Cheers

Terry

Sorry I wasnt pointing the finger as you have already explained:) But the fact that chemical treatment would not allow you to return to your cabin so soon.

If in fact it can be treated as above post then thats good but the chemicals used around furniture and the like would still not allow you to return to the same cabin so soon after unless they have introduced safer chemicals with a much lower Ld50.

Not a problem. I do know about the chemicals and figured it may be heat treatment used. I do know they shampooed carpet though. You could smell the shampoo and they had the floor fan drying the carpet while we were gone. We were out all day at universal. Left cabin at 9 that morning and returned 9 that evening

Google CyKick Cs!

Thanks:) But given the MSDS states that it has an acute aquatic toxicity I doubt a cruise ship would be allowed to carry that chemical let alone use it.

I will keep it on mind for reference though:)

Thanks:) But given the MSDS states that it has an acute aquatic toxicity I doubt a cruise ship would be allowed to carry that chemical let alone use it.

I will keep it on mind for reference though:)

Try checking the label. The label is the law! MSDS tells you to check the label. If everyone that had monthly pest control service had to leave their house for a week when chemical was applied, they would only live there 3 weeks out of four!

Same for businesses they would lose a weeks revenue every month! :eek:

I am not going to argue with you but I did this for a long time, I think I may know a little something about this.

I don't know how Royal treats for sure, I just made an assumption based on how I might approach it. I do know that they have trained professionals on board to handle these situations!

I totally agree with posting a msds it shoulf have already been given to them

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

If you ask you shall receive! They have every MSDS on board. If you ask they will give it, if you don't you won't!