What are the off-menu possibilities on Celebrity?

jan-n-john

Just curious. You say you order off menu a lot. Why? We've dined something like 600 nights in cruise ship dining rooms on 7 different lines and have always been able to find something (or many things) to our liking. Not poking, just curious.

Because they like to be difficult.

Just curious. You say you order off menu a lot. Why? We've dined something like 600 nights in cruise ship dining rooms on 7 different lines and have always been able to find something (or many things) to our liking. Not poking, just curious.

Combination, of religious and health issues.

Does not count then...

As these are VALID REASONS

They are personal NEEDS Celebrity (and other Cruise Lines have stated they will cater to)

The OP just WANTS to be different... Cause he WANTS to :rolleyes:

Whole other kettle of fish !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

If something is to tough to provide then the waiter can simply say

"Sorry but that item is not available" and then move along. Staff are rostered 24/7 to provide service for their customers. What compounds things is the expectation that by doing ones job the "American Culture" is going to pay me extra via tips. It should stop.

"Sorry but that item is not available" and then move along. Staff are rostered 24/7 to provide service for their customers. What compounds things is the expectation that by doing ones job the "American Culture" is going to pay me extra via tips. It should stop.

Unsure what you are saying here on several levels.

First, the staff will frequently NOT say anything to an off the wall request but will try to accommodate, inconveniencing other passengers in the process. Second, they are not "rostered" (not sure what you mean there) 24/7 to provide service. They have specific hours and duties (both very extensive). And third, not sure about the "American Culture" deal. You do understand that a service employee on Celebrity receives a $50 per month salary. Their "extra tips" are virtually their only income.

Frequently we will ask for something "ethnic" without specifying, and usually something we don't prepare at home. We have had some outstanding dinners when we asked for "an Indian dish". Normally, we'll ask on the 2nd or 3rd night and just ask for that sometime during the cruise. And it's also something as simple as "could we have sliced avocado as a salad course every evening?"

Does not count then...

As these are VALID REASONS

They are personal NEEDS Celebrity (and other Cruise Lines have stated they will cater to)

The OP just WANTS to be different... Cause he WANTS to :rolleyes:

Whole other kettle of fish !!

Cheers!

I understand if it is for religious and health reasons but I think most people who need special services arrange them before boarding the ship.

Let's face it there are all different levels of this ranging from the benign to the ridiculous. Most of the time requests are innocuous and easily handled, especially with notice, but I have seen some passengers who are over the top with requests and it does affect the staff as well as everyone else who has the misfortune to be dining in an area that is handled by the same waitstaff.

Edited by Ma Bell

So now I am one of those who is totally confused. At first I thought the topic here was a discussion of the practice of sitting down to dinner and asking the waiter to provide, on the spot, something not on the menu. Then it seemed to become a discussion about folks asking their waiter whether something off-menu could be provided the next day (and possibly days after that). Then the discussion seemed to veer into asking for what might be called "special needs" off-menu items, which I had thought were to be requested well before boarding so as to be easily accommodated by the MDR. (In this latter case, the issue is not about requesting "off-menu" items, but rather requesting items which one could say were on a "private" (pre-arranged) menu.)

I think there are at least three different topics being addressed on this thread, and the discussion is getting very muddled.

So now I am one of those who is totally confused. At first I thought the topic here was a discussion of the practice of sitting down to dinner and asking the waiter to provide, on the spot, something not on the menu. Then it seemed to become a discussion about folks asking their waiter whether something off-menu could be provided the next day (and possibly days after that). Then the discussion seemed to veer into asking for what might be called "special needs" off-menu items, which I had thought were to be requested well before boarding so as to be easily accommodated by the MDR. (In this latter case, the issue is not about requesting "off-menu" items, but rather requesting items which one could say were on a "private" (pre-arranged) menu.)

I think there are at least three different topics being addressed on this thread, and the discussion is getting very muddled.

It is not uncommon on forums such as this for "original" topics to get expanded as the thread grows legs. Such growth has both positive and negative aspects but generally ensures that any issues on the peripheries get aired. It does mean that in many cases all posts need to be followed or one can get lost in a maze

Like it or not Bean41 even though these ships are registered in a variety of countries most of these main stream cruiselines ARE American companies so the "American Culture" of tipping is the norm.....if you don't care for it feel free to not cruise with them or start your won Kiwi cruise line where tipping is not the norm :D

Good summary...

That is indeed exactly some of the places this topic has gone.

It started as you said with one poster's curiosity on making a Not On The Menu Request (any Menu)

Which has taken turns with others recounting how on Celebrity Ships there are times when there are JUSTIFICATIONS for going off the Usual Menu ( Special Needs / Special Events )

But those are indeed Special Circumstances where Celebrity Staff do have procedures to make Guests comfortable

As I said, a whole other kettle of fish from the OP who just wants someone to make him something different... Because he wants to be different (treated differently from other Pax... ) which in turn inconveniences Celebrity Staff with HIS WANTS as well as other Paxs

That is inconsiderate. Period

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Once upon a time when the MDR service was a little better it was not uncommon for the head waiter to stop by and ask if there is anything special you'd like him to have prepared for you. I haven't had this happen in 5 years or so.

It seems like the other way we'd end up with special requests was based on a discussion with the waiter or head waiter that would result in them offering a special dish when that was not our intention. For example once I asked when they'd be serving the rack of lamb (one of my favorites on Celebrity) and the response was that it wasn't on the menu that cruise but they'd be happy to make the dish for me one night.

The only special requests I commonly ask for are minor items or changes. Such as a baked potato or steamed veggies or a large salad made up from items otherwise on the menu.

Edited by Lsimon

My experience on board ship requesting off-menu items is anecdotal -- one evening in the MDR on our 2011 cruise on HAL Zuiderdam I asked for spinach salad. It was not on the menu, although it had been on the previous night's menu. The waiter said he could not get it for me that night, but he could have it for me the next night. Well, as it happened, the next night I was not in the mood for spinach salad, but he brought it for me anyway. My recollection is, every evening after that the waiter had a spinach salad ready for me which I was obligated to take or politely decline. My waiter was certainly doing his best to go above and beyond.

This has been my experience. Be careful what you wish for. On one cruise, I was so tired of escargot, onion soup and creme brûlée, that I finally begged the well intended waiter to cease and desist.

On a slightly different note, on our last several Celebrity cruises, Americans have been a clear minority. I think they should be commended for keeping so many nationalities and culinary tastes happy.

It is not uncommon on forums such as this for "original" topics to get expanded as the thread grows legs. Such growth has both positive and negative aspects but generally ensures that any issues on the peripheries get aired. It does mean that in many cases all posts need to be followed or one can get lost in a maze

Indeed! My reason for posting about the muddle I felt had developed was that I thought many posters were responding to a different question than the one under discussion at the time -- hence, tempers were beginning to flare...

I love a lively discussion on the boards, but I really feel uncomfortable when unpleasant comments, even accusations, begin to appear that are directed at the wrong person or regarding the wrong (sub)topic. I guess I can't help but attempt to be a "peacemaker," though I don't necessarily succeed... :o