What are the off-menu possibilities on Celebrity?

jan-n-john

In other threads I've noticed that some folks have mentioned they have sometimes been able to order things that are not on the menu; Steak Dianne in Murano is one I've seen mentioned. Sometimes this apparently involves ordering in advance.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experience getting access to the "secret menu," if it really exists. Is this rare or common? Does it vary with the restaurant (MDR, Blu, specialty restaurants), the ship, the voyage, the time of year? What sorts of dishes you been able to order this way? What can be done if you order in advance? Can you talk to the chef and come up with something?

I did something like this on Regent once. We were a group of six; the head chef was Indonesian and he did up a fabulous Indonesian dinner for us, but I hadn't really heard about it happening on X.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but 2 weeks ago on the Summit, when I was handed the regular menu on the first night in the MDR, there was a separate page inside labeled "Vegetarian Menu". It contained some of the items that were already on the regular menu, plus an additional appetizer and entrée, and it changed on a nightly basis.

When I asked the waiter about it, he said that it was given to me by mistake. I asked if I could order off it, and he said "of course"

I never knew that we could ask for a Vegetarian menu each night. I am not a Vegetarian, but I am also not a big meat eater, so it was nice to have these extra choices, especially on nights when there wasn't a pasta dish on the regular menu.

Not something that I would do because I am sure it is a big inconvenience.

I don't see it that way. On a cruise ship, typically everything is prepared according to canned instructions from Miami -- the recipe cards are literally posted on the wall and must be followed exactly. No serious chef, or even line cook, is particularly fond of working exclusively that way. Cooking is a creative pursuit. No question in my mind that any them would be eager and delighted to get an opportunity to show what he/she can do. And if the customer shows interest in the cook's native cuisine, big bonus points.

No inconvenience at all.

Edited by jan-n-john

I don't see it that way. On a cruise ship, typically everything is prepared according to canned instructions from Miami -- the recipe cards are literally posted on the wall and must be followed exactly. No serious chef, or even line cook, is particularly fond of working exclusively that way. Cooking is a creative pursuit. No question in my mind that any them would be eager and delighted to get an opportunity to show what he/she can do. And if the customer shows interest in the cook's native cuisine, big bonus points.

No inconvenience at all.

Oh sure, it is not like they are not cooking for hours day and night feeding thousands and they just love extra work from demanding customers.

I disgree we routinely order off menu on most cruise lines we travel on, including Princess, HAL., and Cunard. No problem at all we do not eat dishes with sauces, we eat more fish than meat, don't eat butter/dairy with meat, so we usually find out what fish is available on board and start trying it by special ordering the night before. When we find something we like, we order it more than once. Works out well for us. We what we eat at home and when traveling. We always tip the staff extra and ask the cooks what they would like drink on us.

Have found on Celebrity, (we are elite) ordering off menu is really "hit and miss" at best, in terms of our experience compared to other lines. The only except was BLU.

So if we are not eating in BLU we stick to the buffet... we usually can find foods we like on the buffet and have a nice late lunch and skip the MDR.

You're thinking with a Regent brain and not a mass market cruise line brain. Regent ships are tiny when compared to Celebrity and carry maybe a quarter of the passenger load. Small ships have the ability to prepare special dishes, while large ships just can't do this. It makes no difference if you have a James Beard winner as a chef, or some relative newbie, a chef who's trying to turn out 2800 meals at dinner just doesn't have the time, ingredients or facilities to make fancy, special dishes.

I've cruised on all the luxury lines, and most of the mass market ones, and I would never expect, nor request, a chef on a mass market ship to whip up a special meal. Even on a line like Crystal, where the word "no" isn't in their dictionary, requires at least 24 hours notice for any special requests, and even they do not promise that they can fulfill all special requests.

As for Murano, they will generally attempt simple special requests, but mostly for those who dine there more than once a voyage. I took a food preparation class in Murano on my last voyage on Equinox, and was shocked to see how tiny their galley is, and learned that they don't have an infinite variety of ingredients with which to work. So, even in Murano, while they may bow to a request for Steak Diane, they won't be able to create unusual dishes. Again, remember you're on a mass market line and not Regent.

No inconvenience at all.

disagree. they have to get all that 'canned' food out in a timely manner and do not have the creative freedom to just whip something up on a whim.

if you like creative , book the special meals like Chef's table where the Chef has the ability to go wild.

the few times i have seen Pax get something 'off menu" it was actually served from the crew mess chefs and extremely ethnic( like an actual Koran or Indian meal and not something dumbed down for picky American palates)

disagree. they have to get all that 'canned' food out in a timely manner and do not have the creative freedom to just whip something up on a whim.

if you like creative , book the special meals like Chef's table where the Chef has the ability to go wild.

the few times i have seen Pax get something 'off menu" it was actually served from the crew mess chefs and extremely ethnic( like an actual Koran or Indian meal and not something dumbed down for picky American palates)

See, this last bit is what I would specifically want to try. How do I ask the waiter to be brought a dish from the crew menu each night? (and no, I'm not kidding! I'm completely serious)

See, this last bit is what I would specifically want to try. How do I ask the waiter to be brought a dish from the crew menu each night? (and no, I'm not kidding! I'm completely serious)

I would not even attempt to ask your wait sraff. If you want to

eat "what the crew eats" talk to your Asst Maitr'd about it. The wait

staff has enough to do without going down to their crew area and

bringing up food for passengers to try.

just always thought it would be cool. I remember reading reviews from a couple years back of someone who mentioned to their waiter that they would like to have a dish of the crew indian food at dinner.I believe they were on carnival or Royal Caribbean and it wasn't a huge issue. I actually enjoy the cuisine of other cultures, especially in its true form and not "dumbed down for American palates" as someone else phrased it. I'm actually looking forward to seeing if I can get this accomplished.

No inconvenience at all.

you ARE kidding, right?

In between those 1,000's of meals they have time to make special order items? And of course, they will if possible but to state it's no inconvenience is not being realistic. Of course it is, but they are service personnel and will do what they can.

We've had over 600 dinners on cruise ships on 8 different lines. Have never not been able to find something we liked. Maybe not to our "hearts content", but..

If you want different cuisine, the Oceanview Cafe usually offers a variety: Indian, occasionally Indonesian (Nasi Goreng sometimes), other Asian, Mexican, etc.

If you want crew food, contact an Agent in the Philippines--I am sure they would find you a position. :)

Remember, too, that the crew galley (and most of the ingredients) is several decks below the MDR.

I agree that the concept (whether been done before, with or without a smile) puts an undue stress on an already overworked--especially in the last year or so--staff.

We've had over 600 dinners on cruise ships on 8 different lines. Have never not been able to find something we liked. Maybe not to our "hearts content", but..

If you want different cuisine, the Oceanview Cafe usually offers a variety: Indian, occasionally Indonesian (Nasi Goreng sometimes), other Asian, Mexican, etc.

If you want crew food, contact an Agent in the Philippines--I am sure they would find you a position. :)

Remember, too, that the crew galley (and most of the ingredients) is several decks below the MDR.

I agree that the concept (whether been done before, with or without a smile) puts an undue stress on an already overworked--especially in the last year or so--staff.

Really honestly, I don't get everyone's hostility towards someone wanting to try cuisine of a culture outside their own. I wasn't demanding, wasn't rude, wasn't anything. I just said I'd like to try it. If it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. It won't be the ruination of my vacation.

And yes, I know that you can get that stuff on the buffet. But, it's also not usually as good. Spices are toned down or altered to not offend palates. If you've had it the way it was intended, sometimes it's really not the same.

I also think laying on a beach chair waiting for someone to come bring you another drink when the bar is within 100 feet of you is putting stress on people, but odd how no one wants to flame *that* person....

Really honestly, I don't get everyone's hostility towards someone wanting to try cuisine of a culture outside their own. I wasn't demanding, wasn't rude, wasn't anything. I just said I'd like to try it. If it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. It won't be the ruination of my vacation.

And yes, I know that you can get that stuff on the buffet. But, it's also not usually as good. Spices are toned down or altered to not offend palates. If you've had it the way it was intended, sometimes it's really not the same.

I also think laying on a beach chair waiting for someone to come bring you another drink when the bar is within 100 feet of you is putting stress on people, but odd how no one wants to flame *that* person....[/

Order off the menu.

Our friends from Miami wanted us to taste Key Lime Pie whilst on the Summit New England cruise. They asked the waiter if it would be on the menu - no but the chef can make one for tomorrow evening if that is okay. All our table of eight decided to have it the following evening and it was delicious. Real compliments to the chef. We loved it and the other six on our table who were all Americans said it was perfect.

Recently had it on the Eclipse as it was on the menu - very disappointed but catering for an unknown number must be very difficult. Since then my friend sent me some Key Lime juice and now I make my own - so easy BUT far too many calories!

Your comment about bringing a drink to someone sitting on a beach chair is not at all the same thing here. The person bringing you a drink is doing it within the realm of their job, and therefore not an inconvenience. But asking wait staff to bring you food that you're really not entitled to, asking him to trek down to the crew mess to bring you something just to satisfy your curiosity, is an inconvenience and not a part of their job, especially knowing that they have to bust their behind to serve numerous other individuals. You're not the only person being served by this wait staff, and having them break their timing and routine of serving the meal, is a total inconvience.

If you want to try cuisine of different countries, take a cruise to SE Asia or take a land trip.

Your comment about bringing a drink to someone sitting on a beach chair is not at all the same thing here. The person bringing you a drink is doing it within the realm of their job, and therefore not an inconvenience. But asking wait staff to bring you food that you're really not entitled to, asking him to trek down to the crew mess to bring you something just to satisfy your curiosity, is an inconvenience and not a part of their job, especially knowing that they have to bust their behind to serve numerous other individuals. You're not the only person being served by this wait staff, and having them break their timing and routine of serving the meal, is a total inconvience.

If you want to try cuisine of different countries, take a cruise to SE Asia or take a land trip.

We need a "like" button

Honestly, this reminds of an experience we had on the (original) Royal Princess a number of years ago.

There was a certain, shall we say "entitled" passenger who would ask for something "off the menu" virtually every night. The Maitre D' smilingly would accommodate her (and then shortly thereafter come to our table to complain about the extra work for staff, apologizing for delays to other diners). Of course, if one of the items "off the menu" would be ON the menu some other night, she would pointedly NOT order it so she could order some other special item.

It became a rolling joke to the staff, but they were not happy.

Recently had it on the Eclipse as it was on the menu - very disappointed but catering for an unknown number must be very difficult.

Not as hard as catering to a small number x 1000 if everyone did this. Can you imagine the disaster that would occur if everyone thought the same way? Not to mention the food waste--both the items that were not eaten ON the menu and the items that were not eaten ordered OFF the menu. "Oh, I just wanted to give it a try. Not what I thought. Thanks, though."

Edited by ECCruise

I like also !!

JAN-N-JOHN, sorry but your thinking is all wrong on this issue.

A Cruise Ship is not at all like a land based Restaurant... It has far more in common with a Banquet Hall, where there is a fixed list of dishes, their ingredients, timely steps to prepare them, with cost efficiency in mind, and a desperate need to PUSH out food for THOUSANDS of people in a small window of time (a seating every 1 to 2 hours) 3 times a day.

There are on Celebrity Ships anywhere from 8 to 10 different venues, serving on average I would say 10 or so Entrees each, (Daily Favourites & The Rotating List)... As well as a few Special Dining Events held during the cruise (such as The Chef's Table).

Honestly, if you cannot find something to enjoy each and very day from over 100 choices, then I seriously think you are on the wrong cruise line... Maybe "mainstream" isn't the best choice for you.

And just so you know... Your vision of getting something off the crew menu isn't as easy as you envision... In so much as many of the crew would be above decks working for your comfort during the dinner hour... Having ate their "dinner" mid afternoon, or perhaps will have a bite after their shift around midnight.

The idea of sharing Dinner with the crew comes off sounding patronizing if you ask me.

Knowing Celebrity Staff though, they would no doubt be polite and probably share with you...

But lets face it. They work hard. They do deserve their time off to relax, put their feet up after a very long day working 10 to 14 hours for your comfort.

Heck while you are at it... Living the life below decks...

Maybe you could swap out your cushy cabin for one of theirs... And bunk in one of the coffin sized berths they all call home.

On my cruises, I've met & got to know some great folks who work on Celebrity's Ships... But I can tell you they cherish their "time off"...

They don't want to entertain you and your off the wall requests

Be a considerate Pax and order something off the Menu.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

In other threads I've noticed that some folks have mentioned they have sometimes been able to order things that are not on the menu; Steak Dianne in Murano is one I've seen mentioned. Sometimes this apparently involves ordering in advance.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experience getting access to the "secret menu," if it really exists. Is this rare or common? Does it vary with the restaurant (MDR, Blu, specialty restaurants), the ship, the voyage, the time of year? What sorts of dishes you been able to order this way? What can be done if you order in advance? Can you talk to the chef and come up with something?

I did something like this on Regent once. We were a group of six; the head chef was Indonesian and he did up a fabulous Indonesian dinner for us, but I hadn't really heard about it happening on X.[/quot

Wow! How a simple question can be twisted and turned and flamed away!

Back in the days when we did fixed seating, on a Celebrity cruise, somehow the conversation with our ass't Maitre d' got around to Indonesian food. He told our tablemates that he would have a special surprise for us one night. And he did! I can't remember the dish, but I did notice it was offered in the mdr for lunch one day.

We were all pleased and excited and nobody thought of "inconvenience" or "entitlement". It was simply a fun Celebrity experience.

As for more regular fare, if you ask in advance, they will usually prepare something not on that night's menu. We have had very good asst maitre d's who had no problem with this. However I can remember one who was not very accomodating. (Maybe it was that particular chef who was not willing and not the maitre d's fault)

Contary to the belief of one poster, there is usually one or two nights on a long cruise, when I can find no main dish to my liking. But I have solved that problem. The onion soup is delicious and I can't eat it if I have a full meal. So on those nights, I order onion soup and a big salad. Yummy!

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Banquet Hall an apt description. Entrees are not plated to order. They are mass plated. Waiter picks up which ones table needs. Kitchen can be mass chaos. If you want no potatoes just take them off your plate when order arrives. I sometimes order all appetizers.