Aft Suite or side suite for Panama on the Pearl?

Alvarado

Our first choice, hands down, is a forward suite on deck 9 or 10. We have done the Canal twice from an Owner's Suite (Pearl and Jewel) and once from the Haven. We felt the view from the side was not nearly as good as the view from the front of the ship. The view going into the locks can't be beat.

But, that is not what you asked, so given a choice between side and aft, I'd go for aft, since you can see both sides of the locks, which is great fun.

Our first choice, hands down, is a forward suite on deck 9 or 10. We have done the Canal twice from an Owner's Suite (Pearl and Jewel) and once from the Haven. We felt the view from the side was not nearly as good as the view from the front of the ship. The view going into the locks can't be beat.

But, that is not what you asked, so given a choice between side and aft, I'd go for aft, since you can see both sides of the locks, which is great fun.

One thing to consider regarding The Haven also is that on the Jewel the top private deck is open so that you can access either port or starboard sides of the top sun deck (15? Can't remember for sure....) whereas on the Pearl we were surprised that this is NOT the case. We did the Panama Canal on Both Pearl and Jewel and preferred the Jewel for many reasons...but the ability to go from one side of the ship to the other for viewing was particularly better on the Jewel.

On our first Panama Canal cruise, We were SO intent on having e "best" viewing possible that we got up at 4:00 am to go to the front of the ship in an area that is normally reserved for the crew in order ro be at the very front of the ship in order to view the locks, etc from this vantage point. Suffice it to say that 6 months later on our "next" trip through the canal........we slept until 10:00 am! And viewed the canal experience from our balcony or the Haven sun deck......as when you have seen it once.....

As stated, front view is definitely the best for the canal but I'd always book an aft cabin compared to a side cabin for any cruise.

We had a deck 10 forward Owner's Suite for our recent canal cruise. We "shared" the suite all day during the canal transit with about 35 people from the Cruise Critic Roll Call, who came and went all day. It was great with our 2 balconies -- front and starboard side balconies. Easy to come in to the air-conditioned cabin to cool off before going back out on a balcony.

We served Mimosas and our butler provided several platters of snacks.

Join your cruise's roll call and hopefully you'll have that option. :D

We preferred the aft suite. But we had the best of both on the Star as we got one of the corner aft suites with the wrap around balcony. Essentially we felt you have all the view of the front (if you were going the other direction) when you look out the back, but you get the up close feel because you are not looking over the bow, plus you get the shade of the aft balcony. We left the TV on the bow camera and could also see where we were going as well. Here are some photos from our aft balcony (some taken from the wrap around part).

https://picasaweb.google.com/mightymustangband/CanalTransitSelected?authkey=Gv1sRgCMeHuondj9OTWw&feat=directlink&fgl=true&pli=1

Finally getting to go to the Panama canal. We usually have an aft suite when we sail but I'm not sure what is the best location for the Panama Canal. I know I want the back of the ship. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Having been through twice, let me recommend that the best thing you can do to enhance the experience is to first read The Path Between the Seas. It gives the PC history from beginning to end. Long, but super well written. I saw it on Kindle today for about $4. Also available on ebay usually. Otherwise, on the transit day, I'm all over the ship looking from every angle.

One thing to consider regarding The Haven also is that on the Jewel the top private deck is open so that you can access either port or starboard sides of the top sun deck (15? Can't remember for sure....) whereas on the Pearl we were surprised that this is NOT the case. We did the Panama Canal on Both Pearl and Jewel and preferred the Jewel for many reasons...but the ability to go from one side of the ship to the other for viewing was particularly better on the Jewel.

quote]

This is good info for me to tuck away - thanks!

As stated, front view is definitely the best for the canal but I'd always book an aft cabin compared to a side cabin for any cruise.

We had a deck 10 forward Owner's Suite for our recent canal cruise. We "shared" the suite all day during the canal transit with about 35 people from the Cruise Critic Roll Call, who came and went all day. It was great with our 2 balconies -- front and starboard side balconies. Easy to come in to the air-conditioned cabin to cool off before going back out on a balcony.

We served Mimosas and our butler provided several platters of snacks.

Join your cruise's roll call and hopefully you'll have that option. :D

Linda, my Mom is still talking about how kind you were to open the cabin. That was the highlight of the transit. Thank you again!!

Mary

We preferred the aft suite. But we had the best of both on the Star as we got one of the corner aft suites with the wrap around balcony. Essentially we felt you have all the view of the front (if you were going the other direction) when you look out the back, but you get the up close feel because you are not looking over the bow, plus you get the shade of the aft balcony. We left the TV on the bow camera and could also see where we were going as well. Here are some photos from our aft balcony (some taken from the wrap around part).

https://picasaweb.google.com/mightymustangband/CanalTransitSelected?authkey=Gv1sRgCMeHuondj9OTWw&feat=directlink&fgl=true&pli=1

Thanks for the photos which really tell the story of the aft balcony during transit. Our cabin was forward/aft and we leaned over the balcony and took pictures. Your viewpoint was spectacular.

Linda, my Mom is still talking about how kind you were to open the cabin. That was the highlight of the transit. Thank you again!!

Mary

Mary,

You're more than welcome. It made the canal special to share the transit with our great roll call!!!

Thank you for sharing the pictures. This cruise is definitely on my bucket list. Would you mind telling us what your room number was?

Thank you for sharing the pictures. This cruise is definitely on my bucket list. Would you mind telling us what your room number was?

We were in 9732, but that was before they moved the Spinnaker from the front to the back. I don't know if you can hear the music all the way up on deck 9, but I have heard some folks in the corner cabin on deck 8 say the Spinnaker noise was a bit of an issue since the rearrangement of the ship.