Secret Doors on Island

augies

When posters refer to secret viewing doors on the Island Princess which decks are they on? Are there doors on the dolphin deck forward and aft? Also, is there seating available in this location? Would this be a good location for Panama Canal viewing?

Thanks.

When posters refer to secret viewing doors on the Island Princess which decks are they on? Are there doors on the dolphin deck forward and aft? Also, is there seating available in this location? Would this be a good location for Panama Canal viewing?

Thanks.

The forward doors are on Caribe and Baja. No seating. And yes, it is a front-row spot for viewing the Canal. I would highly recommend it and get there early.

Aft viewing deck begins on Emerald and up to the Sanctuary. There's seating on some of those viewing decks...

Forward view:

1988302386_2ab1064da8_z.jpgPanama Canal 001 by RickEk, on Flickr

1988795586_2399480267_z.jpgPanama Canal 082 by RickEk, on Flickr

Aft view:

2091658165_9fba5a9f9e_z.jpgPanama Canal2 250 by RickEk, on Flickr

And I'd recommend checking out the Promenade and inside on the lower decks.

2091699917_155b24f942_z.jpgPanama Canal3 032 by RickEk, on Flickr

2091707769_ea5b79f31b_z.jpg?zz=1Panama Canal3 042 by RickEk, on Flickr

Edited by RickEk

On Emerald deck there is a heavy door to the small bow deck. We had a Window-mini-suite & used the deck for a porch.

Could you possibly mean Baja or Caribe Deck? The only window minis are on those decks. I've been in B206 several times and have gone through the door you are talking about to the small forward deck and was usually the only one out there--it was like our own private little deck.

2865857450102519826TLMBtk_fs_zps6759e724.jpg

Could you possibly mean Baja or Caribe Deck? The only window minis are on those decks. I've been in B206 several times and have gone through the door you are talking about to the small forward deck and was usually the only one out there--it was like our own private little deck.

Looks like the Captain! :D

It is just my opinion but for my money the best canal view hands down is on the prominade deck. The rush is to the top deck, but frankly the experience on top is sadly lacking. From the front and rear of the prominade deck you can litteraly touch the walls of the canal as you pass through. Also, you get a much greater sensation on the ship rising and lowering from the promade.

Doug

The forward doors are on Caribe and Baja. No seating. And yes, it is a front-row spot for viewing the Canal. I would highly recommend it and get there early.

Very interesting...I wonder if those forward doors are going to be open on an Alaska sailing for glacier viewing! :D

It is just my opinion but for my money the best canal view hands down is on the prominade deck. The rush is to the top deck, but frankly the experience on top is sadly lacking. From the front and rear of the prominade deck you can litteraly touch the walls of the canal as you pass through. Also, you get a much greater sensation on the ship rising and lowering from the promade.

Doug

The Panama Canal from the Promenade Deck--in this picture, Sea Princess.

206298_1016285738955_6577_n.jpg

Very interesting...I wonder if those forward doors are going to be open on an Alaska sailing for glacier viewing! :D

Yes, they should be. We went out there a lot for glacier viewing last year. There may be a sign by the door that implies it's for crew only, but we went out many times without any problem. And, most people didn't find the spot on our cruises. We mostly shared it with a handful of people. Loved it.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by skf View Post

On Emerald deck there is a heavy door to the small bow deck. We had a Window-mini-suite & used the deck for a porch. Could you possibly mean Baja or Caribe Deck? The only window minis are on those decks. I've been in B206 several times and have gone through the door you are talking about to the small forward deck and was usually the only one out there--it was like our own private little deck.

It was cabin # E204...I just looked it up & it has been changed to a Premium Obstructed. It was a giant Mini-Suite in 2012.

Early, but not too early....We were on the Coral and got the the deck on Baja about 4:45 am. It was pitch black (no lighting on that deck). We could see out and ahead fine, but we were nervous about moving around as the deck was a black as could be.

We retreated tot he HC for some breakfast until the sun came up....

Also, while those decks are good, it is best to move around the ship as you will get different views.

We were on the emerald deck at the stern and had some great views of the lock doors and the cut.

Doug

I agree. Have been through the canal twice and have been all over the ship but I still like being on the promenade deck. Very up close views.

I used the Baja front deck in Alaska on the Coral. It was great!

We were on the Coral in early June and were disappointed to find the Baja front deck was closed off with yellow tape at that time. We had chosen forward cabins to be close to this viewing area but instead we had to go down one level to the Caribe deck.

I read on these boards that it had been closed for a couple of weeks prior to our cruise as well. Wonder when it was finally opened?

IMG_2660.JPG

Edited by AryMay

• 1 month later...

@nymaineac

This person in 408 said there were "runners" (joggers?) on the Lido deck? and noise from them... I did not see anyone complaining about moving deck chairs as I often do for under the pool cabins... but perhaps because this was an Alaska cruise there weren't many using those chairs.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43345

Also you would probably have an obstruction looking to the front, if the window washing scaffolding is still parked in front of 400!

We were in Cabin A408 Portside. Regular size cabin, but it did have a partial obstruction. There was a metal cage (I was told it was for the window washers) hanging from deck 14. It appeared to be in front of Cabin A400. It blocks any pictures you try to take looking forward. Also, you can hear the runners above you!! I would not book this cabin or any on Aloha deck because of the noise.
Edited by crystalspin
Quote from review

Is there anything like this on the Golden/Star?.....and are they easily accessible?

Edited by Tinknock50