Oasis is going to Bermuda...

sharktums

...for a medical emergency.

Just got word from my parents who are onboard that the transatlantic is diverting to Bermuda for a medical emergency. Obviously first thoughts are for whoever is ill or hurt. Second thoughts are how this will impact the sailing. I don't think Oasis trips can get into the port so I'm assuming they'll get close enough and tender the sick passenger off. Will the Bermuda authorities do anything for the ships first 'visit'? Will this impact the time frame or sailing route a lot?

Anyone have more info?

It's true. Hope everyone will be ok. Bermuda takes great care of her tourists. They will do everything possible to help. We were just there in July.

Here's a screen shot of her position 2 minutes ago. East side of Bermuda.

ImageUploadedByForums1409786559.519718.jpg.f253ff45405db0bd687110e222aedf87.jpg

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Just got word from my parents who are onboard that the transatlantic is diverting to Bermuda for a medical emergency. Obviously first thoughts are for whoever is ill or hurt. Second thoughts are how this will impact the sailing. I don't think Oasis trips can get into the port so I'm assuming they'll get close enough and tender the sick passenger off. Will the Bermuda authorities do anything for the ships first 'visit'? Will this impact the time frame or sailing route a lot?

Anyone have more info?

Really, this a medical emergency why would you even think that the Bermuda Authorities would do anything to celebrate the ships arrival other than to assist with the transfer of the passenger???:confused:

Edited by xxoocruiser

Anyone have more info?

Priority will be taking care of the passenger in need. Since it's not the beginning of regular visits, the authorities will just treat it as an emergency stop.

Time frame will be inpacted by how long it takes for the transfer of the passenger.

Really, this a medical emergency why would you even think that the Bermuda Authorities would do anything to celebrate the ships arrival other than to assist with the transfer of the passenger???:confused:

Because most people in PR will find an excuse to tweet or make news out of anything! Is there any lobbying going on for the bigger dock? Politicians will make a point that they could have had 5000 people visit the island and bring money on this route. Like I posted, obviously I understand the needs of this passenger come first but I didn't know what time they'd be arriving and if they needed to do anything else.

The St. David has gotten back underway back to the island. Would suspect Oasis will be getting back underway as soon as the stricken passenger is at the dock or shortly there after.

The fallen are in our thoughts and Prayers.......

19:52 EDT

Because most people in PR will find an excuse to tweet or make news out of anything! Is there any lobbying going on for the bigger dock? Politicians will make a point that they could have had 5000 people visit the island and bring money on this route. Like I posted, obviously I understand the needs of this passenger come first but I didn't know what time they'd be arriving and if they needed to do anything else.

There's a difference between some publicity and celebrating.;):)

Right now, Bermuda is having some issues with working out bugs in new transportation options because of the number of cruise ship passengers at Dockyard.

Due to the small size of Bermuda, there are only so many people their infrastructure can handle so bringing in 5,000 more people may not actually be a good thing. Bermuda aslo wants to have a balance between cruisers and those who fly in and stay. I'm not aware of any lobbying going on for a bigger dock.

... Will this impact the time frame or sailing route a lot?

Anyone have more info?

We just got off the Navigator (August 24 - 31st) and had to detour to Cozumel on our way to Roatan for two, yes two, medical evacs. We never found out why and we really weren't interested. We figured it was none of our business to begin with.

There were two ambulances waiting for the ship and once the patients were off the ship we headed back to Roatan, our first port of call. We really didn't notice any difference in a delay since we arrived in Roatan on scheduled. Next stop was Belize and then back to Cozumel on Friday. And to begin with we even left Galveston 3 hours late; 7:30 instead of 4:30. I think the Captain said something about techno problem. Some else said they heard that some people who booked Choice Air was on a plane that was coming in late and the ship had to wait for them. Who knows? And who really cares? All I know is I had a great cruise.

Last year on the Liberty TA we were diverted to the Azores several hundred miles from the coast of Portugal for a medical emergency for what seemed to be 2 to 3 hours. A small boat came to the ship to pick up the ill passenger and ship doctor, then we had to wait quite a while for the doctor to make it back on board from land.

Didn't effect the arrival one bit. It's so far away that they can easily make up the time by speeding up the cruising speed by one knot or less. Many passengers just took to the pool deck to enjoy the unexpected views.

Having been at guest relations when they announced a missed port due to a bad storm and having watched every phone line light up as soon as it was made and then hearing the vitriol coming out of those phones, yes I would not be surprised if someone asked for compensation just for being diverted, even if they aren't late into any ports.

Having been at guest relations when they announced a missed port due to a bad storm and having watched every phone line light up as soon as it was made and then hearing the vitriol coming out of those phones, yes I would not be surprised if someone asked for compensation just for being diverted, even if they aren't late into any ports.

Thank you.

Thank you.

I don't know how you got what you got from questions about ship speed and delays, etc. I too think you are reading a bit more into it than asked. I hope the person evacuated from the ship will be well and recover.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk