Opal Cards...Important info re Sydney transport

bobhsv

Thought I would mention this on cc, re the new phasing in of the 'Opal Card' for travelling on public transport in Sydney and environs. Local Sydneysiders may be able to offer more advice on this new card, but here is the web page explaining it...... https://www.opal.com.au/

Without the card people pay full price fares even in off peak periods. Not a useful option for short term visitors.

Without the card people pay full price fares even in off peak periods. Not a useful option for short term visitors.

no not a useful option for visitors to our city and for senior citzs out of towners who only need a ticket for one day

I think if the card is registered, then after 60 days of non use, the unused amount is refunded back to your designated credit card. If the card is unregistered, then it lasts for 9 years, with the option of registering it at any time ie getting your remaining money back.

This unregistered option seems to be best for people like you and I, living out of Sydney (but perhaps not best for overseas visitors coming to Sydney once only) I think the smallest amount needed for a card is $20.

The most important thing is that eventually all the public transport will be cashless, and this Opal Card will 'have' to be purchased whether we like it or not:eek:.... some areas are already fully operating under this cashless system.

I think if the card is registered, then after 60 days of non use, the unused amount is refunded back to your designated credit card. If the card is unregistered, then it lasts for 9 years, with the option of registering it at any time ie getting your remaining money back.

This unregistered option seems to be best for people like you and I, living out of Sydney (but perhaps not best for overseas visitors coming to Sydney once only) I think the smallest amount needed for a card is $20.

I don't believe that's the case.

The refund only occurs if none of the money is used. If you actually spend some, though, it won't be refunded.

As it stands though, you can still buy regular tickets at the ticket window - you don't need an Opal card.

The most important thing is that eventually all the public transport will be cashless, and this Opal Card will 'have' to be purchased whether we like it or not:eek:.... some areas are already fully operating under this cashless system.

We're not as bad as Melbourne - yet. No plans have been announced to close regular ticket sales.

Edited by The_Big_M

I don't believe that's the case.

The refund only occurs if none of the money is used. If you actually spend some, though, it won't be refunded

Aaah....that's a bummer:D Let's hope they eventually bring out a visitors card, like the Octopus in Hong Kong, and one that will refund money not used.

Thanks for clarifying:)

The Opal card is still not yet for Pensioners or Seniors, ie the $2.50 fare - probably coming in late in year.

Also make sure where your ship is sailing from in Sydney - we got a shock after booking on Sun Princess for next year that it goes from White Bay (the good bit is sailing under the harbour bridge) the bad bit - hard to get to.

For those who don't know there is work going on at the Overseas Passenger Terminal - so our $2.50 will not get us all the way there, bugger.:p

Can someone please tell me if the $2.50 senior card daily ticket is still available to be purchased on the bus at the airport? I cant remember the bus number maybe 400? but it is the bus that goes between bondi and burwood. Last time I tried the driver said he had run out and he told us to go and sit down. When we got off the bus to get the train we purchased it at the station. I am wondering if I need to purchase the ticket from the station at the airport before attempting to get on the bus.

Thanks Kate, that's what we plan to do, as we only have hand luggage it is not an issue taking the bus/train to circular quay, we then get on a ferry or two to fill in some time before boarding the ship.

This coming cruise we are going the day before so will make good use of our $2.50 all day ticket. A bonus for being old!!!

Thanks Kate, that's what we plan to do, as we only have hand luggage it is not an issue taking the bus/train to circular quay, we then get on a ferry or two to fill in some time before boarding the ship.

This coming cruise we are going the day before so will make good use of our $2.50 all day ticket. A bonus for being old!!!

There has to be some advantages:D

the $2.50 pension ticket can be purchased on the route 400 bus but only if the bus does not have the OPAL system.

And as far as I know there is no place to pre purchase a pension ticket at either the domestic or international terminals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think we are luckier in Perth - Our Smart Rider gives us pensioners free travel from 9.00am to 4.00pm Mon - Fri and all day Saturday & Sunday. :D Buses, trains and ferry's, Concession fares kick in before 9.00 am and after 4.00 pm weekedays

Edited by dizzy1948

I think we are luckier in Perth - Our Smart Rider gives us pensioners free travel from 9.00am to 4.00pm Mon - Fri and all day Saturday & Sunday. :D Buses, trains and ferry's, Concession fares kick in before 9.00 am and after 4.00 pm weekedays

Very nice but only if you are a pensioner.:D

I have bought the $2.50 senior ticket at the domestic railway station ticket box. but that was a while ago. Maybe 12 months at a guess. At that time I didn't know they could be bought on the bus. I think I will just do the same this time just to be sure.

Thanks for your help.

Very nice but only if you are a pensioner.:D

No - sorry about that - I should have said Senior - achieving the age of sixty and working around 25 hours a week or less :D (I do say these silly things - I must get a new filter put in between my brain and mouth)

Edited by dizzy1948

you can still buy some paper tickets like the $2.50 seniors ticket (from a newsagent or other outlet) and the travel 10 tickets are still on sale.

if you do have an Opal card, travel on Sunday is $2.50/adult for the whole day...no need to have a child in your group as needed for the Funday Sunday ticket.

Can someone please tell me if the $2.50 senior card daily ticket is still available to be purchased on the bus at the airport? I cant remember the bus number maybe 400? but it is the bus that goes between bondi and burwood. Last time I tried the driver said he had run out and he told us to go and sit down. When we got off the bus to get the train we purchased it at the station. I am wondering if I need to purchase the ticket from the station at the airport before attempting to get on the bus.

You should be able to buy them on the bus. If you prefer, you can buy at the ticket counter in the railway station depending on time of arrival, or at the ticket machine.

No - sorry about that - I should have said Senior - achieving the age of sixty and working around 25 hours a week or less :D (I do say these silly things - I must get a new filter put in between my brain and mouth)

That is OK, all good. It still no use for me. :D

Thanks looks like I will be fine, and wont have to buy the opal, unlike those poor visitors to Melbourne. I apologise to all tourists visiting Melbourne for our very unfriendly public transport system the myki card.

For one off visitors it is really bad, especially if English is not their first language. I now have several MYKI cards loaded with differing amounts (must remember to take them on future visits).:p

@TaraJane. ... Do buy the $2.50 pensioner ticket at station/newsagent before getting the bus. They USED to be available to buy on the bus. BUT for the past few months buses have been carrying signage telling passengers to now pre-buy as they are no longer sold on board. Can't use them myself but travel on the bus every day and have seen pensioners caught out. Have a great trip

Thanks Sagittarius - I will buy them at the domestic station at the airport, and also enough for the return journey while I am at it.

Thanks for your help

going by city rail pensiors dont get the $2.50 from the domestic airport, it cost $12.50 one way to the city

http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/fare_calculator;jsessionid=3B45C192E10947236CC775BD001DBE34.node02