Opal Cards...Important info re Sydney transport

bobhsv

going by city rail pensiors dont get the $2.50 from the domestic airport, it cost $12.50 one way to the city

http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/fare_calculator;jsessionid=3B45C192E10947236CC775BD001DBE34.node02

I believe Tara Jane was talking about taking the bus.

The surcharge only applies to the train, since the stations were built by a private company.

A few steps that may assist when travelling from the Domestic Terminal to the city.

1) Purchase your $2.50 ticket at the domestic train station.(I have a feeling that you must be a resident of NSW to use this ticket)

2) Catch the 400 going to Bondi Junction, in front of the Qantas terminal T3

3) Validate your magnetic stripe ticket in the green ticket readers, it is now valid until midnight and can be used on all forms of public transport.

4) Go to Mascot Station which is the next stop after the airport, you can now board the train direct to the City/Circular Quay and avoid the surcharge at the Domestic Airport train station.

Cheers

Garry

Yes Garry that is exactly what we do, have done it several times now and very easy. As we fly up the day before or else extremely early that day of the cruise we always have heaps of time to fill in so time is not an issue. Lifts at mascot station make it a very simple process. We only take hand luggage so not a problem at all.

The $2.50 senior ticket is valid for all Australian senior cardholders, or it was when I last checked the website. Using that I get from the airport into the city and have all day use for killing time on a ferry ride around the harbour before boarding the ship.

A few steps that may assist when travelling from the Domestic Terminal to the city.

1) Purchase your $2.50 ticket at the domestic train station.(I have a feeling that you must be a resident of NSW to use this ticket)

2) Catch the 400 going to Bondi Junction, in front of the Qantas terminal T3

3) Validate your magnetic stripe ticket in the green ticket readers, it is now valid until midnight and can be used on all forms of public transport.

4) Go to Mascot Station which is the next stop after the airport, you can now board the train direct to the City/Circular Quay and avoid the surcharge at the Domestic Airport train station.

Cheers

Garry

Good tips, but if I am lugging my bags around, I think I would just catch the train (OPT) or a cab (White Bay).:D

Thank you NSW government for your generosity to the seniors of Australia.

Can anyone help me re Melbourne public transport for a day visitor (pensioner) off a ship? Fare options for only the one day? Does he/she need to purchase a myki card? If so, how do they work out for a day's travel? Is there unlimited travel or do you pay per trip? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

MP.

Thank you NSW government for your generosity to the seniors of Australia.

Indeed, the $2.50 Dinosaur Fare is real good, buses, ferries and trains. But didn't ye olde Pensioners go off a couple of years ago when it went up from $1 to $2.50 !!! They almost stormed the NSW Parliament.

Edited by NSWP

Can anyone help me re Melbourne public transport for a day visitor (pensioner) off a ship? Fare options for only the one day? Does he/she need to purchase a myki card? If so, how do they work out for a day's travel? Is there unlimited travel or do you pay per trip? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

MP.

Yes, you need the MYKI card for the trams, you can buy them at any convenience store and various other locations such as at station pier. You can load up the card, need one per person with around $10 each. One trip may cost around $2.00-3.00 but you can have any amount of trips and the fees will not go past around $6.60-7.00 per day.:D

Yes, you need the MYKI card for the trams, you can buy them at any convenience store and various other locations such as at station pier. You can load up the card, need one per person with around $10 each. One trip may cost around $2.00-3.00 but you can have any amount of trips and the fees will not go past around $6.60-7.00 per day.:D

Thanks for that Mic :). Do you happen to know how much the original card costs, and are the trip costs based on distance or on destinations? How do you know how much the trip will cost beforehand, and whether you have enough on your card to cover your return? :confused:

MP. :D

Do you happen to know how much the original card costs, and are the trip costs based on distance or on destinations? How do you know how much the trip will cost beforehand, and whether you have enough on your card to cover your return? :confused:

If you hold a pensioner concession card, you can buy the pensioner pack for $7, with $4 actual fare credit. If you don't you need the full adult card for $14, with $8 credit.

As for fares, it's complicated. :-)

They work on zones, with fares valid for a time. To give you an example, the trip from the ship to the city is in zone 1, and you can travel in that zone for 2 hours e.g. transfer, for $1.79 pensioner, or $3.58 adult.

As for the last part, you need to know the fares and credit yourself (or ask a staff member/check a machine if available). The machine shows you your balance so if you see it's getting low you need to add credit.

Thanks for that Mic :). Do you happen to know how much the original card costs, and are the trip costs based on distance or on destinations? How do you know how much the trip will cost beforehand, and whether you have enough on your card to cover your return? :confused:

I recently bought two cards in melbourne for $6 each and used them for several tram rides all day and was covered. They can be topped up for further use. As mentioned they work on zones but travel is capped on a daily rate.

Visitors to Melbourne can buy a special myki Visitor Value Pack to travel on the public transport network. Buying your myki: The card price for a full fare myki is $6 and $3 for a concession, seniors or child myki. Topping up your myki: You must top up your myki before you travel.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/myki-money/

lots of details here.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

As far as I'm aware all states give reciprocal rights to interstate Seniors Card holders.

We have bought the Sydney Airport Link concession and $2.50 seniors ticket in Sydney, the 9am to 3pm free seniors travel in Adelaide, the Visitors Concession Day Pass in Melbourne and various seniors concessions in NZ by showing our Queensland Seniors Cards.

If your cruise is calling in to Melbourne you will find the full fare and concession day passes are sold at the terminal as you get off the ship and they have special buses downstairs that run all day to the city when there is a ship in.

Yes, you need the MYKI card for the trams, you can buy them at any convenience store and various other locations such as at station pier. You can load up the card, need one per person with around $10 each. One trip may cost around $2.00-3.00 but you can have any amount of trips and the fees will not go past around $6.60-7.00 per day.

One trip may cost around $2.00-3.00 but you can have any amount of trips and the fees will not go past around $6.60-7.00 per day.

hmmmm...we were in Melbourne on a port day and bought a MYKI card package for $14/pax and could only use it for 4 trips each....not for the whole day. I think we were sold the wrong type of card so not happy about that!!

Yes, you need the MYKI card for the trams, you can buy them at any convenience store and various other locations such as at station pier. You can load up the card, need one per person with around $10 each. One trip may cost around $2.00-3.00 but you can have any amount of trips and the fees will not go past around $6.60-7.00 per day.

One trip may cost around $2.00-3.00 but you can have any amount of trips and the fees will not go past around $6.60-7.00 per day.

hmmmm...we were in Melbourne on a port day and bought a MYKI card package for $14/pax and could only use it for 4 trips each....not for the whole day. I think we were sold the wrong type of card so not happy about that!!

Sounds like it, the website says.

Visitors to Melbourne can buy a special myki Visitor Value Pack to travel on the public transport network. Buying your myki: The card price for a full fare myki is $6 and $3 for a concession, seniors or child myki. Topping up your myki: You must top up your myki before you travel.

With myki money, you ‘pay as you go’. Simply top up with myki money to access 2 hour and Daily fares.

Your myki will automatically calculate the lowest fare possible according to the zones you travel within as you touch on and touch off.

Your first touch on of the day will create a 2 hour fare product. If you continue to travel after your 2 hour fare expires, a daily cap applies.

When using myki money, you should have enough value on your myki to pay for your whole journey. See myki fares for fare prices.

If your myki money balance is negative (even if you have a valid myki pass), you will not be able to touch on and you will not have a valid ticket for your trip. This includes changing mode or vehicle during your journey.

Ticket types

2 hour

Your first touch on of the day will expire exactly 2 hours after your first touch on.

However, if your first touch on occurs after 6pm, then you can travel until 3am the next morning and you will only pay a 2 hour fare.

You should continue to touch on and touch off as you travel so that you have a valid ticket and pay the correct fare for your journey.

Daily cap

Once a daily cap has been reached, you can make unlimited journeys within the applicable zone/s until the end of the day and pay no more than the daily cap. The daily cap is the same as two, 2 hour fares for the zone/s in which you travel.

Weekend and public holiday daily cap

On weekends and public holidays, you will pay no more than $6.00 per day for unlimited travel in Zones 1 and 2.

Seniors daily cap and free weekend travel

See seniors for more information about travelling with a seniors myki card.

• 6 months later...

Can the OPAL card be purchased at the SYD International Airport to be used for transport from SYD to Milsons Point?

Is it correct that there is an airport gate fee of about $13 plus the train fare?

My wife and I will be in Sydney for about 72 hours and expect to take over 6 train trips and perhaps some ferry rides too.

Roger

Can the OPAL card be purchased at the SYD International Airport to be used for transport from SYD to Milsons Point?

Is it correct that there is an airport gate fee of about $13 plus the train fare?

My wife and I will be in Sydney for about 72 hours and expect to take over 6 train trips and perhaps some ferry rides too.

Roger

This link should help.

https://www.opal.com.au/en/fares-and-benefits/airport_station_access_fee/

Roger

Yes, you can buy the Opal cards from WH Smith at the International Terminal Arrivals

http://www.retailers.opal.com.au/

Just enter Sydney Airport in the search box on the top left hand side. And I think it's the 3rd one in the results list.

Edited by tillydog

Thanks looks like I will be fine, and wont have to buy the opal, unlike those poor visitors to Melbourne. I apologise to all tourists visiting Melbourne for our very unfriendly public transport system the myki card.

Agreed our PT system is revolting :(