Opal Cards...Important info re Sydney transport

bobhsv

I wonder how much extra these Transport operators get in terms of I've put $10 on my card but fares only $8 so I loose the other $2.

I've got cards from all over the place with bits and pieces of credit on them, money lost to me but the card company gets.:confused::(:mad:

• 8 months later...
Thought I would mention this on cc, re the new phasing in of the 'Opal Card' for travelling on public transport in Sydney and environs. Local Sydneysiders may be able to offer more advice on this new card, but here is the web page explaining it...... https://www.opal.com.au/

Latest update, NO paper tickets for NSW rail/bus/ferry will be issued from 1 January 2016, including Concession ones for Pensioners/Seniors.

All Opal cards from then on. Do it on line, phone, some NSW Transport service centres, all explained on line as per the above link.

Good luck people.

Latest update, NO paper tickets for NSW rail/bus/ferry will be issued from 1 January 2016, including Concession ones for Pensioners/Seniors.

In the interest of confusing the public &/or getting several million dollars of peoples money tied up on these pre-paid cards, that is what the banner headline says, but looking deeper it is not quite NO paper tickets as follows:

"From 1 January 2016, the only paper tickets available will be single Adult and Concession tickets (trains, buses, ferries and light rail) and return Adult and Concession tickets (trains, ferries and light rail).

Tickets no longer available from 1 January 2016 include:

• Pensioner Excursion tickets
  • MyBus TravelTen tickets
  • MyMulti Weekly tickets
  • MyFerry TravelTen tickets"

I went thru all this just last week, and ended up ordering an Opal for DW & myself just for convenience. So they've got our $80 up front:eek:

For those eligible for the excursion fares though, no choice but to get the Gold Opal or pay full fare for a paper ticket!!

Edited by mr walker

In the interest of confusing the public &/or getting several million dollars of peoples money tied up on these pre-paid cards, that is what the banner headline says, but looking deeper it is not quite NO paper tickets as follows:

"From 1 January 2016, the only paper tickets available will be single Adult and Concession tickets (trains, buses, ferries and light rail) and return Adult and Concession tickets (trains, ferries and light rail).

Tickets no longer available from 1 January 2016 include:

• Pensioner Excursion tickets
  • MyBus TravelTen tickets
  • MyMulti Weekly tickets
  • MyFerry TravelTen tickets"

I went thru all this just last week, and ended up ordering an Opal for DW & myself just for convenience. So they've got our $80 up front:eek:

For those eligible for the excursion fares though, no choice but to get the Gold Opal or pay full fare for a paper ticket!!

Now you have got me confused.

Why oh why can't we have a national card, like out road toll account, on our recent cruise we collected 4 of the rotten things.

That's 4 each, and i think they all had a little credit left (maybe only a $ or so).

Now you have got me confused.

Well I got a headache from it last week:) It's like something out of 1984's department of misinformation!

Why oh why can't we have a national card, like out road toll account, on our recent cruise we collected 4 of the rotten things.

Makes perfect sense to have a national card. Just be thankful all states have the same currency, or we'd be changing money at the borders.:eek:

They did eventually get at least compatability for toll-road tags between different vendors/operators/states, so I'm thankful for small mercies. Guess that was the various companies coming to an agreement, not the governments.

I think this should be the start of the case to eliminate state governments by 2025 :D

That would be far too logical! ;)

But I was wondering the same thing just the other day. :D

That would be far too logical! ;)

But I was wondering the same thing just the other day. :D

It was looked at way back when, as something they wanted to do, but got bogged down in the detail so they just moved forward without it.

Like the toll bricks, probably one day...

Gold Opal cards are brilliant. Under the paper system if we used a pensioner ticket it cost us $2.50 regardless. Under Opal we pay a maximum of $2.50 BUT less if we only travel a short distance one way, which was never possible with the paper tickets.

Yesterday we went from Lane Cove to St Leonards by bus, then train to Town Hall and on to Edgecliff. From there to Bondi Junction, then back to Town Hall and on to Circular Quay to admire Pacific Aria. Then we caught a ferry around to King St wharf, catching glimpses of the rest of the P&O fleet along the way, and finally caught a bus back to Lane Cove. All for $2.50. And for those not eligible for the Gold Opal that trip would cost a maximum of $15. Several years ago we went from Lane Cove to Bondi Beach by bus/train/bus - it cost almost $10 one way!

Hi, We are from Philadelphia Pa. USA and will be coming to Sydney in January and wanted to let you know if come to Philadelphia all public transportation is free to anyone 65 or older, you just have to show ID.

Thanks, what sort of ID do they accept, ie would say an Aussie Drivers license do the trick.

Gold Opal cards are brilliant. Under the paper system if we used a pensioner ticket it cost us $2.50 regardless. Under Opal we pay a maximum of $2.50 BUT less if we only travel a short distance one way, which was never possible with the paper tickets.

Yesterday we went from Lane Cove to St Leonards by bus, then train to Town Hall and on to Edgecliff. From there to Bondi Junction, then back to Town Hall and on to Circular Quay to admire Pacific Aria. Then we caught a ferry around to King St wharf, catching glimpses of the rest of the P&O fleet along the way, and finally caught a bus back to Lane Cove. All for $2.50. And for those not eligible for the Gold Opal that trip would cost a maximum of $15. Several years ago we went from Lane Cove to Bondi Beach by bus/train/bus - it cost almost $10 one way!

And the biggest rip off is the Airport rail line in Sydney, not govt owned, so you don't go for $2.50.

Not living in Sydney I have been trying to sort out our needs via email as far as the Opal card goes with the help from a very helpful Luisa at the Sydney Visitors Centre. I have been advised that the Opal Senior/Pensioner Card cannot be purchased over the counter and can only be ordered through http://www.opal.com.au and it will be posted to you. She also confirmed (mentioned in previous post) the paper Pensioner Excursion Ticket will be discontinued on 31st December 2015.

Cost of train from International Airport to Central (CBD) via train still works out quicker and cheaper than a taxi.

For pensioner concession card holder the cost is:-

Airport access fee per person $11.60

Train fare per person $1.69

Both deducted from your Opal Card.

Edited by happysnapper
typo

Cost of train from International Airport to Central (CBD) via train still works out quicker and cheaper than a taxi.

Or $17 per adult.

It cost $27.20 for 2 tickets using cash (we don't have an Opal card) for us in October from the Domestic terminal to Circular Quay so the premium isn't too bad for not having a card. You still get robbed blind for using the airport station though........

It cost $27.20 for 2 tickets using cash (we don't have an Opal card) for us in October from the Domestic terminal to Circular Quay so the premium isn't too bad for not having a card. You still get robbed blind for using the airport station though........

Was that Pension concession, it cost me $17 full adult fare.

That was dva concession

Thanks that explains the difference.

Still pretty step for a 25 minute trip, the 2 and half hours from Znewcatle doesn't cost much more.

Thanks that explains the difference.

Still pretty step for a 25 minute trip, the 2 and half hours from Znewcatle doesn't cost much more.

Yep it is pretty steep but I guess they know they have you by the short and curlies if you want the convenience much like the airport car park........

We are thinking of pre organising cards and having them posted to Qld before we leave. I am also a DVA card holder and as we are staying a couple of days in Sydney after the cruise in the CBD with planned trips to Bondi Beach and Taronga Zoo the card is worth it. I have gone to their website, calculated the fares rounded it up a bit to allow for increases and I still way in front if I left a couple of dollars on it at the end. This is for me , one adult and one child, both who intend on swimming at Bondi ....which presents new problems lol.... Water temp in early April and sourcing towels. I follow the 7P principal