Jr. Suite on NOS or Advice neeed?

Hello fellow CC just need some opinion here. We are booked on NOS for next September. We currently have a balcony and are really thinking of upgrading to the Jr. Suite. However after talking to the RCI agent we see we get none of the "perks" for a jr.suite but, a bigger room and a bathtub for 1,000 more (aprox). The next upgraded suite offers some "perks" such as early boarding etc... Do you think its worth the extra money?(this would be a 2000bump aprox) Yes, we can afford it but I don't like to be foolish with my money and we usually take two or three nice trips a year so it isn't a once in a lifetime trip or a "special event". Just wondering for those who have done various suites and balconies did you feel it was worth it? What perks did you find?

Thank you so much in advance I appreciate the feedback!

Carrie & Big

Have you cruised before? Do you have difficulty with a standard size cabin on a mass market cruise ship? Do you particularly want double points with Crown & Anchor for your cruise? It's very nice being in a Jr Suite, having a large closet, lots of drawer space and a larger bathroom. Do those things matter to you?

The Suite perks are very nice, you will have free drinks in the CL during happy hour and seats in reserved sections of theater and ice show. Do those things matter to you?

Unfortunately, right now my budget doesn't comfortably stretch to that, but I have a friend who only books a Grand Suite on RCCL. It's very nice and those things are important to her and she can easily afford it.

For many of us, $1000 is more than we will spend to be in a Jr Suite over a balcony cabin. I would rather spend less money on the cruise and be able to go again. I'm sure that there are plenty who will say certainly spend the money. If you can afford it, do it. But that is a big jump in price for a larger cabin. Sometimes as a cruise gets closer, you can upgrade a cabin for less than the difference is now. But don't book a balcony planning to get a cheap upgrade later on. If you do that, it definitely won't happen.

A JS also gets you double C&A points, but to me that is just too much money to upgrade. I would keep watching the prices since you still have some time. I just upgraded from a balcony to a JS for a great price for a sailing in October. There is still a lot of time for price drops.

Have you cruised before? Do you have difficulty with a standard size cabin on a mass market cruise ship? Do you particularly want double points with Crown & Anchor for your cruise? It's very nice being in a Jr Suite, having a large closet, lots of drawer space and a larger bathroom. Do those things matter to you?

The Suite perks are very nice, you will have free drinks in the CL during happy hour and seats in reserved sections of theater and ice show. Do those things matter to you?

Unfortunately, right now my budget doesn't comfortably stretch to that, but I have a friend who only books a Grand Suite on RCCL. It's very nice and those things are important to her and she can easily afford it.

For many of us, $1000 is more than we will spend to be in a Jr Suite over a balcony cabin. I would rather spend less money on the cruise and be able to go again. I'm sure that there are plenty who will say certainly spend the money. If you can afford it, do it. But that is a big jump in price for a larger cabin. Sometimes as a cruise gets closer, you can upgrade a cabin for less than the difference is now. But don't book a balcony planning to get a cheap upgrade later on. If you do that, it definitely won't happen.

A Junior Suite does not have those perks, only GS and above

Edited by dacsmom

Hello fellow CC just need some opinion here. We are booked on NOS for next September. We currently have a balcony and are really thinking of upgrading to the Jr. Suite. However after talking to the RCI agent we see we get none of the "perks" for a jr.suite but, a bigger room and a bathtub for 1,000 more (aprox). The next upgraded suite offers some "perks" such as early boarding etc... Do you think its worth the extra money?(this would be a 2000bump aprox) Yes, we can afford it but I don't like to be foolish with my money and we usually take two or three nice trips a year so it isn't a once in a lifetime trip or a "special event". Just wondering for those who have done various suites and balconies did you feel it was worth it? What perks did you find?

Carrie & Big

We have stayed in a JS during our sailing on Navigator and loved it. While you dont get all the suite perks that Grand Suite and above get which include concierge lounge, you do get double points and DO get priority boarding. We have booked JS primarily for the extra room it provides and a large balcony.

Carrie & Big

We've cruised in cabins from insides to grand suites. (Inside only once, never again) For the value, the JS normally is where we are. Usually we book a balcony, and wait for a nice price drop for a JS. Personally, I wouldn't book a JS for more than an extra $500 total.

Your doc's will say "suite" for the JS and you will get priority boarding. We also like the double cruise points and extra cabin real estate.

I would not book a JS for $1,000 extra. Just us...

Dascmom and Bethco,

Thank you both for your prompt reply. I guess our confusion is it didn't sound like on the junior suit you got the extra perks of cocktails in the CL and such. The RCI rep said just a bigger room and balcony with a tub. It didn't sound like we got robes or anything else. She didn't even tell us about the C&A point system. If you can explain that I appreciate it!

To answer you Bethco, We have cruised before. I have taken 4 Carnival cruises. started as a young women in a inside cabin in the 90's and graduated to a balcony on my last two (and felt blessed to be able to upgrade). My SO has been on one RCI cruise and one HA cruise before and many, many days at sea with the USMC! ;) We both are a bit claustrophobic so we appreciate the balcony and fresh air. We are in our late 40's early 50's my so has a bit of a disability due to military so its nice to have a guaranteed spot without having to rush with the crowd.

we are very blessed to have the option to choose. We spent a lot of years not being able to so its sincere but we don't like to be foolish either.

Thank you so much!

Carrie & Big

In any cabin that is interior, OV, or balcony you get one point on your Crown & Anchor (loyalty program). So you will get 7 points for each person on their individual accounts. When you are in a Jr Suite or higher, you will get an extra point for each night so that is a total of 14 points per person on a 7 night cruise.

I just noticed the date you are booked. I'm booked on Navigator the following week with a friend who is on the cruise 9/13/15 with her hubby.

Getting a seat at the ice show and the theater is not difficult if you do not wait until it's nearly time for the show to start.

Do you have 2 people in the cabin or 3? If it's 3 people I would do a Jr Suite in a heartbeat. I cannot imagine a week in one of those cabins with 3 or 4 people. I have a group of friends I have traveled with for some years. Some I have no problem for a week in a balcony cabin, some that Jr Suite is a necessity.

If you think you need a Jr Suite or Grand Suite in order to be comfortable and have a good trip go ahead and book it. My friend and I are booked in a D1 which we booked a long time ago for about 1200 plus fees and taxes for both of us. A Jr Suite for that sailing is $4K right now. So these girls will be staying in our balcony hump cabin.

Edited by bethco
More info

Bethco cool! too bad we aren't a week later!!!! No just my SO and I and we love being together so no biggie on that. Okay that helps and so what is the points all about? I assume like on carnival 10 cruises use to get you priority status. We are actually looking at switching to the week before as its labor day and we would already have Monday off and the ports are a bit better in our opinion.

I won't go lower than a JS>..it's the size of a hotel room, unlike most cabins, and it's very comfortable. I like to be comfortable on vacation....i

There are no real perks, except the space! Priority boarding is about it. I don't care...you aren't paying the "suite" price, so I thinks it's a good compromise!

From the RCI Website:

Cruise Points are the way you earn membership status in the Crown & Anchor Society. You can earn one Cruise Point for every cruise night you sail with us, and DOUBLE the points when you purchase a suite. For instance, if you complete a 7-night cruise, you'll earn 7 Cruise Points, and when you purchase a suite you'll earn 14 Cruise Points. Further terms and conditions apply. Points are not recorded or applied until after you complete your sailing. For example, if you are graduating from Gold to Platinum tier level on your current sailing, you will not receive Platinum level benefits until your next sailing.

JR Suites are included in the double points category. In addition you get priority boarding which is a great perk. Robes are also included in a Junior Suite. Did your SO join Crown and Anchor after the first cruise? It is never too late if not. Gold members get priority boarding too, just behind the other categories.

Edited by dacsmom

To me $1k is too much to upgrade to a JS. Priority boarding would save maybe 45 minutes. Yes, the double points would be nice, but that's pretty long term thinking :)

With that said, we have traveled in a GS or better. OS once when it was $250 above a GS. RFS once when we had a larger group.

What we liked about the suite perks on NOS was the CL (snacks, drinks, and coffee machine) and the breakfast/lunch served in Chops. Felt very relaxed compared to the hustle/bustle of the rest of the ship.

Is it worth it? Tough to call, we have very little vacation time available... So saving money to travel more wouldn't help.

My wife and I are "large" people. I like being able to walk around the cabin without having to go sideways. One of the biggest considerations for us is the bath. Anything less than a junior suite and you get one of those skinny little shower stalls. In a junior suite, you get the combo tub and shower with a lot more room. I know people will say you can go to the fitness center for a larger shower but I would much rather have the privacy of my own room.

That's just us!

artypharty Thank you for that tidbit. We are just concerned about waiting and not getting what we want. If the cruise is a year out would you book the balcony and wait? When do you usually upgrade????

I book the least expensive cabin I would be happy with, then check prices a couple times a week. If I don't find a price decrease and don't upgrade, I'm still happy with what I originally booked. More often than not, if I've booked a year or so out, I'll find a decrease and/or upgrade.

I have a 7 day cruise next year and booked a panoramic ocean view At an unbelievable low price ($374/pp). I was okay with the POV, excited actually with that price, prices only went up and it's now sold out. So you never know. I just talked with DH last week and as much as we like the GS, it's not worth thousands extra-TO US , only if I can get a deal.

Many on this site have said to only book a cabin you'll be happy with if you get no price drops or upgrades. Excellent advice.

Kontrax, good advice thank you. My SO is a tall guy and works out so he does need more room (always book him an isle seat on the plane) and such. We have decided to book the JS and if available we will upgrade to the next level but, if it doesn't happen we will still be in a room we are happy with. I really appreciate all the advice. My SO had his C&A all set now and we are adjusting our cruise date to the 9/20 sailing so I will be on the same cruise as Bethco. We like the ports better than the 9/13 sailing. :cool:

Artypharty,

I see you are doing the Venice cruise next year! We just got back from 14 days in Rome and Florence. We LOVE ITALY!!!!! We are thinking we will do the Venice Cruise in 2016. We have Holland and Germany planned for the spring of 2015 and I am excited to explore the castles but honestly I am torn as I really want to go to Venice now! Can't wait to hear what you think of that Cruise!

Again, thank you all for your feedback on this being a RCI newbie!

Ciao,

Carrie & Big

Artypharty,

I see you are doing the Venice cruise next year! We just got back from 14 days in Rome and Florence. We LOVE ITALY!!!!! We are thinking we will do the Venice Cruise in 2016. We have Holland and Germany planned for the spring of 2015 and I am excited to explore the castles but honestly I am torn as I really want to go to Venice now! Can't wait to hear what you think of that Cruise!

Again, thank you all for your feedback on this being a RCI newbie!

Ciao,

Carrie & Big

Carrie,

We actually leave for Venice in just a little over 40 days. :D. Can't wait!

We've done a few Mediterranean cruises and Italy is our absolute favorite. We've visited Rome a few times and I'm in love!!!! We've visited a few other cities in Italy, but I've been pining for Venice. We are spending 5 days in Venice pre-cruise!!! Woo-hoo!

Ciao,

Vicki

Edited by artypharty

Vicki,

my profile pic is from sunset at the coliseum. We love it there. I agree Venice is a must do next time for me! Guess for now I will be happy with the Gondola on our Vegas trip in October! LOL....

The pizza, wine and gelato oh my I MISS IT!!!!!

Can't wait to hear your reviews on the cruise and that's a great idea to spend a few days before and after!

all the best!

Ciao!!!!

Carrie & Big