Not happy on Carnival Sensation

landsear

Is it just me that notices everytime someone has a negative experience on a Carnival ship, everyone jumps to say how "sorry" they are but ours was super duper great?

Than the process goes to tell them what they did wrong, or even in some cases, they might have been at fault.

The questions is who to contact and best way to do so, today, after the cruise. No need to say that you have a wonderful experience, and you did it wrong.

This!

Sorry your experience wasn't up to par, OP. I hope you get everything worked out and that they work hard to make sure families are together and service isn't sloth speed for others!

We had similar issues on the Sensation (except for sitting at different tables). Lots of "little things", including bad service, lack of cleanliness, dirty dishes, beer bottles just sitting there for hours. rude passengers, etc. We even witnessed our first fist fight! You'd walk by the same spot 2-3 hours later, and the dirty dishes would still be there. The worst was that someone threw up right at the bottom of the stairs leading to the shops. They placed a yellow cone to caution people, but they didn't clean it! We went to the show, came back an hour later and it was still there!

We didn't complain either. We just thought that it was a short, cheap cruise and that it wasn't worth our time to complain when we had paid so little to start with and our time onboard was so limited to spend it at guest services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had similar issues on the Sensation (except for sitting at different tables). Lots of "little things", including bad service, lack of cleanliness, dirty dishes, beer bottles just sitting there for hours. rude passengers, etc. We even witnessed our first fist fight! You'd walk by the same spot 2-3 hours later, and the dirty dishes would still be there. The worst was that someone threw up right at the bottom of the stairs leading to the shops. They placed a yellow cone to caution people, but they didn't clean it! We went to the show, came back an hour later and it was still there!

We didn't complain either. We just thought that it was a short, cheap cruise and that it wasn't worth our time to complain when we had paid so little to start with and our time onboard was so limited to spend it at guest services.

Comments like this always amaze me.

In life we are constantly being trained, whether you realize it or not.

You just trained the staff at Carnival that this behavior is completely acceptable. I'm not saying you need to start throwing items in anger and screaming at the top of your lungs, but letting it go isn't going to change a thing. Every single time you let unacceptable behavior go without comment, you have just taught that person that such behavior is in fact acceptable. They get enough training about the new acceptable, and now they can't even be taught what is correct behavior.

Constant surveys from businesses drive me crazy, but then suddenly I get reminded why they have to do it. We won't tell them in a reasonable manner what is wrong, we just stop patronizing their business. Upper management rarely has a clue what is going on where customers actually interact with the staff. If we won't tell the staff and management what is going wrong right then and there, then we can expect more of the same and more surveys from upper management that never really seem to do anything.

Is it just me that notices everytime someone has a negative experience on a Carnival ship, everyone jumps to say how "sorry" they are but ours was super duper great?

Than the process goes to tell them what they did wrong, or even in some cases, they might have been at fault.

The questions is who to contact and best way to do so, today, after the cruise. No need to say that you have a wonderful experience, and you did it wrong.

I hope your comment isn't directed at me. I definitely didn't mean to come off as a Carnival cheerleader. As I said, we were just on Sensation and had issues too. Not enough to ruin our cruise but I did put them in my post-cruise survey. Hopefully, the OP will do the same (and maybe even win a free cruise.)

I think most people genuinely are sorry when someone has a bad experience.

As someone who has cruised before I would think you would have looked at your sail and sign cards to see where you were sitting for dinner.

Guest services can help with anything. If not direct you to someone who can.

Sorry your cruise did not meet your expectations.

We have sailed on the Sensation six times and never had any problems at all. Some of our best cruises have been on her.

I hope your next cruise goes better.

agreed, A quick walk to GS and that issue would have been cleared up right away

Maybe to say that tge OP's cruise was an exception not the standard. And maybe to let them and others know that should not ne expected as the norm. And maybe if they tried again it might be with different results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about you booked your cruise together so they should know enough to have you seated at the same table -

I don't know the facts of how they booked, but they could have very well booked hubby in one cabin with kids and wifey is a different cabin with kids (or grandkids) to get around an age limitation and they switched cabins when they got on board. The MDR would have no way of knowing that they switched cabins by the first evenings dinner. Even if the account were linked, if there were more than 12 people total the linked reservations would have to be split between two tables.

You just trained the staff at Carnival that this behavior is completely acceptable. I'm not saying you need to start throwing items in anger and screaming at the top of your lungs, but letting it go isn't going to change a thing. Every single time you let unacceptable behavior go without comment, you have just taught that person that such behavior is in fact acceptable. They get enough training about the new acceptable, and now they can't even be taught what is correct behavior.

I do agree with your statement, 100%. And I'm aware that me not saying a thing didn't help to rectify the situation.

I'm a believer in the little surveys, whether from Carnival or any product, and eagerly fill them out. I don't mind taking time to do so AFTER the vacation is over. I know that they do make a difference.

About complaining during the cruise, I've only done so after weighing my options. This was one of those situations where I felt the need to pick my battles. I had to decide between spending more time on an already short cruise, aggravating myself further to complain, or overlook the issues, focus on having a good time and make the most of it.

I understand that doing the second choice may have been a quick fix that benefited only me, but once again, it was what worked for us best at the time. There are other times when we felt that complaining was the best thing to do, but not this time. After seeing crusted puke on the carpet, there wasn't much that the Carnival staff could've done to make that image disappear. :o

Edited by Tapi

Seated at different tables! That is a new one. I have cruised many times and I would never even think to check my seating arrangement. I expect my family to be seated at one table with a linked reservation and a party smaller than 8. Further more, I would expect my seater to fix that issue immediately.

Were you in the same cabin?

As far as dinner while others are eating dessert, that appeared to rotate daily on my 7 day cruise on the Pride, one day we would get served last while others were first and others served first while they waited. I understand that since they have multiple tables this is almost a must. Just as long as they did not consistently do it to me. Had it been like a three day cruise or I had only eaten there a few times during the cruise, I could see being the short straw table multiple times and getting ticked.

I don't know the facts of how they booked, but they could have very well booked hubby in one cabin with kids and wifey is a different cabin with kids (or grandkids) to get around an age limitation and they switched cabins when they got on board. The MDR would have no way of knowing that they switched cabins by the first evenings dinner. Even if the account were linked, if there were more than 12 people total the linked reservations would have to be split between two tables.

Sometimes people do that to get around the Cheers requirement that everyone over 21 in that cabin must participate. Might account for the eye rolling, but still unprofessional on the staff's part.

We sailed on Aug 24th, and quite a few of the crew members were brand new -- our dining experience was spectacular though (ATD dining though)

they just asked how many of us were eating and took us to our table.

i did not see a cleanliness issue at all either. maybe staff are getting comfortable and need a kick in the backside to wake them up?

Heald is just a figure head, how would addressing your complaints to him help?

http://www.carnival.com/core/contactus.aspx

Actually he isn't just a figure head and he seems to address issues on his Facebook page and blog all the time. He has access to the executives so it may be a way to let the higher-ups know about the declining quality quickly. Something sent to customer service may never reach that level. Just a thought.

Comments like this always amaze me.

In life we are constantly being trained, whether you realize it or not.

Constant surveys from businesses drive me crazy, but then suddenly I get reminded why they have to do it. We won't tell them in a reasonable manner what is wrong, we just stop patronizing their business. Upper management rarely has a clue what is going on where customers actually interact with the staff. If we won't tell the staff and management what is going wrong right then and there, then we can expect more of the same and more surveys from upper management that never really seem to do anything.

The responsibility for training the crew and setting expectations should be handled by the ship's officers, not the customers.

That is so weird about getting seated at 2 different tables! How does that happen?

The best way to deal with table issues is to just see the Maitre D as soon as possible. People ask to switch tables all the time. It doesn't make you "that guy", as long as you ask politely. :) I know it's too late for this cruise but maybe for future reference.

Did you get a post-cruise survey? I would definitely put my comments there.

Sorry you didn't have a good Sensation cruise. We were on the September 4 sailing and there were a couple of issues (mostly with embarkation and debarkation, which took wayyyy longer that they should have). But we still had a nice time and I liked the ship. We had Your Time Dining so we had 3 different wait teams but they were all good and didn't seem as rushed and frantic as some of the waiters on our last few cruises.

We always travel in a large group. For the first time ever we booked with a PVP...not our travel agent. This was the first time we booked the biggest ship, the DREAM. We had three rooms this time........and booked them at the same time...both parties together.....and since it was a last minute thing....(5 weeks out) we just paid in full.

We asked the PVP to make sure our dining was linked because we new they could put us at a larger table (in fact, the last time we had 4 more people with us) The next day we got an email...saying my DH and I were wait listed for First seating. I emailed our PVP knowing she was going to be off the next 3 days for a short trip.

In 5 days, I got an email saying we were now confirmed for early seating. On line....we were also linked by the three bookings. Perfect!!

When we got our S&S cards, we saw we were all at three tables...close together, but not at the same table. So we went to the Maitre D at the assigned time. He was wonderful. He laughed because he said none of the bookings were linked and as he assigned tables he wondered if we were together so he put us in tables close together. He easily connected them and it only took a few minutes. Our Maitre D was clearly on the BALL!!! It happens very easily. Anyone can make a mistake. I know I do. We were just glad this was so easy to correct!!

I just got off Splendor (Sep 6-13 cruise), and I agree that there has been a drop in service over the last 3 years (from my trip on Glory to this trip). From never getting ANYONE on Lido to get me a straw (the response I got to "can I get a straw for my child" the 1st 8 times I asked ranged from "what's a straw" to silence to "just walk outside Lido and grab one from the bar" as I carried a full tray of food and drinks and had a kid at my side). By day 4, I just hit the bar on my way in, but really? I also had my spouse get his arm bumped accidentally while carrying a drink right in the middle of deck 3's lobby while guests were scurrying back and forth to dinner. I immediately went to the bartender there and informed him of the mess and he didn't do ANYTHING, so I grabbed napkins and cleaned it myself. With several VERY slow dining nights, several dining requests that refused to be accommodated (apparently, it was impossible to get a banana until I realized on day 3 I could just order the banana split without ice cream and THEN, then I could get it), and several other small things, service was just off. I never had so many employees tell me they couldn't do things. And to top it off, I had an issue on Lido and had the top customer service involved and when asked "how can you solve my problem", they said they could do nothing (no apology, no nothing). My mother also had an issue with how a trivia game's location and running was handled (a disabled woman was forced to move b/c pictures needed to be set up for 90 minutes later and the entertainment staffer didn't want to argue with the picture guy - the lady was forced to leave and that pissed my mom off, so she informed customer service - nothing was done). Customer service was a huge part of the problem, not the solution.

This was my 1st cruise (of 4) that I ever reduced tips (for Lido/other service and dining - my room steward was great and got overtipped). As someone said, you vote with your wallet, and this service, all around, was subpar. Not to say there weren't highlights (the Deli guys and Omelette guys were amazing, as was my room steward), but they were the exception, not the rule...

As I told those I cruised with, it was a good cruise, not a great one. The spa was amazing, the food went from good to really good over the week, the kid's room was great, the weather was amazing, and the comedy and shows were great. But, the service has lead me to pick my next cruise by price and itinerary, rather than cruise line. It felt like a shake out cruise (every port was delayed 20-40 minutes, events were randomly canceled - some for reason and some not - bummed Texas Hold Em Tourney was canceled just b/c and bummed we missed a night of late comedy b/c of mixed up travel plans - and servers were apparently not well-versed in the Carnival way or just didn't care)...