Pros/cons of sailing from Seattle vs Vancouver?

Huskerchick

Look at the ports and the port times. See what is available to do in each port, and what appeals to you. Then figure out where you need to leave from, to get the ports you want :)

Generally leaving from Vancouver gives you more scenery on the first and last days. And it is more sheltered, as you sail between the mainland and Vancouver Island. Leaving from Seattle, you sail up the west side of Vancouver Island.

Just to add to CP's comments about scenery, I sailed from Seattle for the first time, in May. I thought, oh, well, I've seen the scenery before on previous cruises from Vancouver to Alaska.

I really missed the scenery. I will never, ever leave from Seattle to go to Alaska again. Well, I guess I shouldn't say never. But it sure would not be my first choice for an Alaskan cruise.

YMMV

You will also find that the airfare to Vancouver is usually much higher than flying to Seattle. If you're able to fly in a day or two early, and possibly have a day or so post-cruise, you can fly into Seattle, and then travel to Vancouver via Amtrak, or shuttle bus, and then travel back to Seattle post cruise the same way.

We've sailed from both Seattle and Vancouver. I strongly agree with what the others have said, the scenery from Vancouver is far, FAR superior. The only reason we did a second Alaska cruise from Seattle was because the 2-week itinerary we wanted wasn't an option from Vancouver. Like Alberta Quilter, we really missed the scenic cruising the first and last sea days.

I suppose if one has never done an Alaska cruise, Seattle would be ok as they wouldn't know what they are missing. Since we know the difference, it would take a mighty special reason to do another from Seattle. At this point I can't imagine what would be that special, but I'm leaving the door open - just a teeny crack.

I think the best part of Alaska is really the interior and there are some great tour options but only cruises from Vancouver offer the option of disembarking in Alaska and taking a tour. My impression is also that the airfare difference doesn't seem to be as huge as it once was.

Roy

My impression is also that the airfare difference doesn't seem to be as huge as it once was.
We found that to be true for us this summer. We had a nonstop into SEA, connecting to YVR. It wasn't much more than just to SEA. I don't remember the numbers but IIRC it was comparable to taking the shuttle bus up. The flight was more scenic and the border formalities easier.

Thanks all! We have been to Alaska before and we sailed from Vancouver but it's been a few years. We would be traveling with friends who have never been before and based on that I think that leaving from Vancouver would be the better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took a trans-Panama from FLL, stopping in Vancouver for a day before disembarking in Seattle. Worked out great for us. We could fly back to Baltimore from a U.S. airport and still enjoy the incredible scenery in Vancouver.

Sailing to Seattle we followed the coastline so close there was actually something to see. So it you can find an Alaska cruise departing from Seattle but stopping in Vancouver, that would be my recommendation.

I enjoy being in either city.

If you have never been in either city, both are very enjoyable. Sailing out of Seattle does give you a great view of that city's skyline.

Sailing out of Vancouver does give you a lot of greenery/scenery and is more sheltered.

If you are a US citizen flying into Vancouver, take a moment to stop to look down at the great hall instead of rushing from your plane to customs/immigration (it is on the walkway to customs).

Sailing to Seattle we followed the coastline so close there was actually something to see. So it you can find an Alaska cruise departing from Seattle but stopping in Vancouver, that would be my recommendation.
It isn't possible to sail from Vancouver to Seattle without being in sight of land. ;) Your cruise was a Panama Canal repositioning cruise. There aren't any Seattle Alaskan cruises that include Vancouver. Victoria is the Canadian port used for Alaskan cruises from Seattle. You will also always be within sight of land when sailing between those two cities.

Four years ago we sailed out of Vancouver, wanted to add on the land based Denali option. Vancouver was very expensive to fly to from Florida vs. my cruise last month , Seattle round trip. I enjoyed the Yukon tour from Skagway with a guide, then returning on the White Pass train. I did miss seeing the dramatic snow capped mountains north of Juneau, but the Yukon option was nice.

Both Seattle and Vancouver are beautiful cities (compared to the rest of the US and Canada) - each with their own charms. Seattle is somewhat more convenient (as noted) while Vancouver is the start of better first day sightseeing. I would suggest starting from whichever city you have not had the opportunity to explore as yet (assuming you arrive a day early).

Also, leaving from Vancouver gets you a passport entry stamp from Canada (if you're not Canadian of course). The port stop of Victoria does not.

I really can't see either as an inferior choice compared to some of the other cities and ports I have visited.

Thanks all! We have been to Alaska before and we sailed from Vancouver but it's been a few years. We would be traveling with friends who have never been before and based on that I think that leaving from Vancouver would be the better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where IS that "like" button?

We have (also) done both and prefer Vancouver, especially for first-timers. Next September, we are sailing with two first-timers (DB and DSIL) so we chose Vancouver.

Cheers!

We have done both several times and the main difference for us is that Seattle is the outside passage and Vancouver is the inside passage which in my opinion is much more calmer and less turbulent and smoother , I also agree much more scenic also. The airfare to Seattle is better but the hotels in Vanouver, ie the Fairmont is less expensive so there are trade offs but we like the sceenery and smoother inside passage better.:):):)

I am so pleased this post came up as I have been mulling over the same question for a week or more.

We are having a motorhome for 5 weeks touring Canada but will be dropping it off in Seattle.

We have cruised to Alaska from Vancouver which was awesome. So it came down to comparing the itineraries, as we wanted to do Glacier Bay and Skagway I wanted to be on the cruise for my 60th birthday but alas, it works out that the day we arrive back in Vancouver is my birthday day Anyone got a recommendation for a great restaurant near Canada Place, as will have to stay there a night before getting back to Seattle. Enjoy most cuisine.

There is a very good restraunt at the Fairmont which is across from Canada Place but we tend to eat in their restraunts when we stay there, depend s also what type of food you'd like for a special 60th. There is also a very good chinese restraunt down form the other Fairmont downtown, the conc recommended it and the food was great, we have eaten there several times but I'm sure those from Vancouver will have a host of good restraunts, its a good food town.:):):)

There is a very good restraunt at the Fairmont which is across from Canada Place but we tend to eat in their restraunts when we stay there, depend s also what type of food you'd like for a special 60th. There is also a very good chinese restraunt down form the other Fairmont downtown, the conc recommended it and the food was great, we have eaten there several times but I'm sure those from Vancouver will have a host of good restraunts, its a good food town.:):):)

Thanks Redhot1, will pop that down in my notebook and may stop the night too!

I am so pleased this post came up as I have been mulling over the same question for a week or more.

We are having a motorhome for 5 weeks touring Canada but will be dropping it off in Seattle.

We have cruised to Alaska from Vancouver which was awesome. So it came down to comparing the itineraries, as we wanted to do Glacier Bay and Skagway I wanted to be on the cruise for my 60th birthday but alas, it works out that the day we arrive back in Vancouver is my birthday day Anyone got a recommendation for a great restaurant near Canada Place, as will have to stay there a night before getting back to Seattle. Enjoy most cuisine.

Cardero's is always my favourite. Just along the sea wall from Canada Place. Excellent food and on a nice day the patio is great place to spend some time.