I always thought I was a planner/plodder, but...

temple1

Once DD comes along we'll test it out and see how we like it. It sounds like an enhanced version of MTD but we'll see. We had traditional on our last Allure and the Navigator before that and sat alone at a table for six both times. The next two will be MTD just to give us more flexibility.

It's an individual choice. Wait in the standby line and hope you get in, or simply get that out of the way ahead of time.

Those not interested in getting it out of the way before boarding, have little ground to stand on in terms of complaining if they don't get into a show, or have to wait in line or spend time fiddling with the TV screen to get tickets instead of enjoying their vacation.

If someone does want to get it out of the way before the cruise, I don't see that's necessarily something to complain about.

I think all of the planning and plotting was a little like Lampoon's European Vacation. There is always a "gottch" somewhere.

I don't need to give every hour of my vacation a name. That's why my past 84+ cruises have been worry free.

Missed ports. Diversions because of weather, medical problems, mechanical difficulties, political unrest, pilot strikes, or any of multitude of unforeseen problems that might arise, only enhance the cruise experience.

Those that angst over schedules aren't on vacation. :D

We prefer to not make any reservations for dining or entertainment in advance.

With the exception of our first cruise on Oasis and the first on Allure - our priority for those cruises was to experience everything we could on each ship. So we did need to have a defined schedule.

All of our other cruises have been reservation-free. We are flexible about dining times ... the few times we've gone to the MDR and had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes, we've gone up to the WJ ... but we've rarely had to wait that long.

We've been on so many cruises and seen so many shows, that we don't worry about missing something, the comedians are pretty much the same, same with pianists or violinists, etc .. the ice shows are really cool, but pretty much the same, just with different costumes!!

We're also a little more relaxed about planning our excursions, but that's a different matter!!

Now, if we were cruising with a large group or were celebrating a special occasion, we might think about making some reservations!

Edited by Lady Chew

It's an individual choice. Wait in the standby line and hope you get in, or simply get that out of the way ahead of time.

Those not interested in getting it out of the way before boarding, have little ground to stand on in terms of complaining if they don't get into a show, or have to wait in line or spend time fiddling with the TV screen to get tickets instead of enjoying their vacation.

So far with 13 cruises completed and most of them with MTD, I've made reservations for the main dining room once and that was our first cruise after MTD was initiated. If we decide to go to one of the surcharge restaurants - we make the reservation on the ship, it takes a minute to call and make the reservation. So far we have never had a problem walking into a show and finding a seat. As Lady Chew posted - after you've seen a dozen different comedians and production shows they all start to blend.

As for the ice show - we decide on the ship which show we want to attend and get tickets for it.

I will watch the boards to see how dynamic dining works out. So far, I'm not too excited about having to worry about where I will dine every night of the cruise.

Never had more than a 5 minute wait for MTD (and that 5 minutes was on allure) and never make reservations.

If you don't want to make reservations, then don't. Those who love to plan can.

I think of it like Vegas....if you want to be guaranteed to see shows then you need to plan/purchase in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by seaofwonder

This making reservations several weeks ahead is my main complaint about the Allure/Oasis.

Although it worked out okay, I had accidently booked two things at same time and one I was late for. I do the any-time dining on all the ships and never have made an advance reservation for a time. I also have never waited more than a couple of minutes to be seated.

I understand that with the size of the mega ships, they need some reservations to control the numbers. But this is why I will not plan to go back to the Oasis class ships. I still will sail with Royal but without dining reservations. (I also sail with Celebrity..) (10 on Royal, 8 on Celebrity, plus a couple here and there on Princess , Carnival and Hal)

Reservations ARE NOT needed to go to shows on oasis or allure.Sure you can make one if you want but you will also get in if you just walk up and wait for open seating.You dont have to cancel your reservation either if you dont want to go.Its really not a big deal at all.I made all our reservations in ten minutes.Is that stressful?Nope.If we dont feel like going once the day comes we wont.People are making this out to be something its totally not.

I think all of the planning and plotting was a little like Lampoon's European Vacation. There is always a "gottch" somewhere.

I don't need to give every hour of my vacation a name. That's why my past 84+ cruises have been worry free.

Missed ports. Diversions because of weather, medical problems, mechanical difficulties, political unrest, pilot strikes, or any of multitude of unforeseen problems that might arise, only enhance the cruise experience.

Those that angst over schedules aren't on vacation. :D

Forgot to add " in your opinion".Some people like and enjoy to have a schedule.It makes them more relaxed actually.but dont say they arent on vacation if they like to keep a chedule because that is your definition of vacation.

I thought I was the only one who liked to fly by the seat of my pants.:D

This is a rhetorical question.;)

How can I make reservations ahead of time if I don't know what I want to do on any given day? If I would make reservations, then my activites would be driven by my dining time, same as having a set traditional time.

I plan on doing the same as last cruise, had MTD with no pre-reservations. Told the maitre d' we would be fine with waiting and he could seat us where ever. Always had less than a five minute wait and there was only one night we did not have the same servers. One caveat, maybe things work a bit differently on a small ship.

I'm going out on a limb here and making reservations for some excursions.:D:p:D

Edited by iheartbda

Never had more than a 5 minute wait for MTD (and that 5 minutes was on allure) and never make reservations.

If you don't want to make reservations, then don't. Those who love to plan can.

I think of it like Vegas....if you want to be guaranteed to see shows then you need to plan/purchase in advance.

Indeed! There is absolutely no requirement to make any reservations on any of the ships. Anyone is welcome to go to a venue and can enter if and when there is availability.

Fundamentally, if there is something you really want to see, or a time/place you really want to eat, you are best making reservations. If you wish to be whimsical (perfectly OK), it is possible you will have to change plans last minute.

Our upcoming cruise on the Oasis TA its the first time we have had to plan and book and reserve what seems like everything on board.

I love the shows on board and felt if we didn't pre book seats we would miss out and we always have MTD but never pre book - usually just tell them on leaving the MDR what time we think we'll be in the next day.

Royal makes it all sound nice and easy with their 'fantastic Cruise Planner' but I will now add that we are boarding in Southampton for this trip when the cruise 'starts' in Rotterdam and Royals IT cannot cope with two boarding points so all of us boarding in Southampton cannot access the cruise planner and therefore to make any sort of reservation for anything. so if we want to we have had to call and book via their nice 'premium line' number! :(

Then the shows times and bookings gets canx/changed or people removed by the invisible person so you have to do it all over again! :o

I have never had to be so organised for any cruise.

To get all this 'planning on cruises' out the way we have also booked the Quantum and Anthem for next year - however I have already been able to pre book all the D/D for both trips already and speciality dining as well althought no shows yet :rolleyes: Although until we've tried each restaurant how will we know if we want to go there again!

We do hope this is not the way Royal is going on all ships as we like the flexibilty of MTD eating when we want and wandering in to shows without having to pre book and turn up 30 mins before just to get the seat you spent months before reserving!

I'll go in the opposite direction here and say that going on the Allure the first time with an extended family of 9, I've liked being able to make reservations. This holds especially true to my brothers family who have never been on a cruise and for my parents because this is only their 2nd cruise.

I can't even imagine what the wait would be for a table of 9, yet the MTD reservations let me book all 9 of us for different times each night. I'd much rather plan on the front end. Everyone knows where they need to be. If they don't want to go, they have that flexibility. If we decide on the Windjammer or a specialty it takes a simple phone call to let the dining room know.

Then people gripe and make you feel less than stellar for the use of cell phones. Why in the world would you need to get in touch with each other? Just leave notes on the door, on the phone etc. :( Sounds like a lot of fun without a plan for 9 on the biggest cruise ship in the world doesn't it? ;)

Debbie

I am a planner. I like to have things set out beforehand so I will book shows before I sail. Do we attend them all? Not always, because sometimes we are tired or decide to do something else instead. For me, having plans set up ahead of time makes me more relaxed especially if there is something I really want to do such as the All-access tour and comedy club. But each has their own personality and their own opinions. However, if my plans go awry - I am on vacation so I let it go no big deal.

How would that work to get some OBC?

That's news to me also. I'd like to get some OBC.

I remember the last time I got all organized and prebooked our specialty restaurant. By the time we went, completely forgot we prepaid - ended up paying twice. :o DS was able to get a refund.