Best day for Steakhouse

mikem1977

Hello everyone,

On our 5 day sunshine cruise in December the wife and I are wanting to have a night at the steakhouse while the kids are at Camp Carnival but do not know whether to do it on day 4 or day 5.

Day 4 we are in Grand Turk till 4 pm.

Day 5 we are at sea all day.

Which day do you think would Camp Carnival have more for the kids (11 and 10 boys) that could keep them occupied for the 2.5 hours that is reccomended.

Hello everyone,

On our 5 day sunshine cruise in December the wife and I are wanting to have a night at the steakhouse while the kids are at Camp Carnival but do not know whether to do it on day 4 or day 5.

Which day do you think would Camp Carnival have more for the kids (11 and 10 boys) that could keep them occupied for the 2.5 hours that is reccomended.

There is no telling which day will have more but the sea days tended to be the busiest. That said I think Day 5 would be my choice as it ends the cruise on a fine meal high note. Last dinner in the steakhouse!!!

If it matters at all to you, they give diners in the steakhouse a free bottle of decent wine if you go the first night but most people don't go on the first night. Personally I like to go to the mdr first night to meet my fellow tablemates and waitstaff and most people are the same way. I went to the steakhouse once a few years ago on the freedom on a 7-night trip and I would say we we went midweek, the same night as the lido deck party. I will probably go the day of our late Curacao departure on the breeze this week coming up just because I hate open seating atd on evenings where there is a late port visit. It doesn't really matter however as I believe the menu is the same every night - it's all up to you and your situation I think.

I think the best day would be Day 5 because during the sea day you will probably be snacking and munching all day. By the time dinner rolls around you won't be extremely hungry. During a port of call day, you are out and about and not likely to snack as often.

The steakhouse is a LOT more food than the MDR. Better bang for your buck.

There is no telling which day will have more but the sea days tended to be the busiest. That said I think Day 5 would be my choice as it ends the cruise on a fine meal high note. Last dinner in the steakhouse!!!

It would make sense that sea days would be busier. I would never do steakhouse the last night. I want the farewell experience that you get the last night in the mdr and I want to see my tablemates one last time before we all go our separate ways. But that's just me.

But the problem with Day 5 is that it's the last night and there may or may not be enough activities scheduled to keep Camp Carnival appealing. Cruising parents can share their experiences. It's also typically the night everyone is packing up. What night is your elegant night for dinner? Day 3? If so, maybe day 4 would work better. But what ever night you choose, look to make reservations as far before boarding as possible or else you might get stuck with 5:30P or 9:30 P times.

The steakhouse is a LOT more food than the MDR. Better bang for your buck.

The steakhouse IS a lot of food but so is the mdr if you order an app and two entrees and a dessert along with some bread and something to drink. And there's no upcharge for that lol. Yeah steakhouse food is better quality and a fancier atmosphere. But you won't starve in either place, that's for sure.

Personally I intentionally never schedule the steakhouse on a sea day. First off, most formal nights are on sea days, (in general, but schedules change). I tried to avoid formal nights in the steakhouse because the food is generally better on formal nights. Don't want to miss out on anything :p

the last night is also the last night to say good bye to the wait staff. Its a rare instance that I don't care about them.

Camp Carnival is not open on the first night. And on a 5 day cruise the first sea day is formal night, usually, is this not correct? Both sea days are not formal? right?

On this 5 day trip the first sea day is day 3.

I would still do it the last sea day and not following a 4PM departure from Grand Turk.

Say goodbye to the wait staff and table mates... :confused: well maybe but its my vacation and not the wait staffs or frankly my table mates either. Neither would stand in the way of the Steakhouse to end the cruise. I can always run into the MDR and slip my wait staff a twenty spot and have a toast with my table mates.

I would not however book the steakhouse on bitter and blanc night...won't miss that.

Hello everyone,

Night one! It comes with a free bottle of wine!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Night one! It comes with a free bottle of wine!

Yes but Camp Carnival is not open the first night. So the kids would have to come and be charged $35 too.

Night one will not work for the op to do what he wants to do.

[lQUOTE=StaceySteveDMB;44225080]Night one! It comes with a free bottle of wine!

Well.....not sure about the Sunshine, but we had exactly that plan on the Dream this August. Reservation for 14 adults first night. Problem was first night you could not bring kids to Camp Carnival without a parent. It was family orientation night. My husband wound up staying back to watch the younger kids in our gang. They did offer to deliver his dinner to the cabin or let him come another night since we had pre-paid, but he never got to enjoy.

I would not suggest the first night if you have kids.

The kids do usually always like to go to Camp Carnival the last night. Always a party and t-shirt designing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think we are going to end up going the night of grand turk as we will have spent all day with the kids at margaritaville and jacks shack. We will need a nice adults only time that night. Looking forward to the cheesecake for dinner :D

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

How is steakhouse a better deal then MDR?

They get you for $35pp

I thought that the first time I tried a specialty restaurant. It's as different as going to Friday's and going to Mortons. My opinion is the quality at the steakhouse rivals high end steak restaurant. On land, expect to pay about 60 or more per person for a similar experience and amount of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I thought that the first time I tried a specialty restaurant. It's as different as going to Friday's and going to Mortons. My opinion is the quality at the steakhouse rivals high end steak restaurant. On land, expect to pay about 60 or more per person for a similar experience and amount of food.

im actually curious about it. We may do it next cruise

The first night for the free wine incentive

Edited by limoguy1

My comment was more about being able to eat more on the port day than sea day.

But, in another post someone answered your question. The mdr is not the same romantic fine dining exp as the steakhouse.

I am probably wrong, but I thought Carnival cruises were 7 nights so night 5 would be the second elegant night. If you don't want to miss that night in the MDR, then I would suggest another night.

We go on night 1, but I don't know how that would work out with the kids and Camp Carnival. I don't have young children so I don't know the plans for them. If they have activities, you could take them to the buffet and then have late® reservations for the Steak House.

The first night isn't that busy so it is even more relaxing. If you still aren't sure, perhaps online someone has posted the Fun Times with the children's schedule. Enjoy your cruise.

I just booked a steak night. First cruise with just my lovely wife and I with no kids. This will be our first time dining in the steak house as well. My question is about tipping. Do most of you leave cash on the table? That is what i'm planning on. Interested in what other do.

Thanks,

Scott

I just booked a steak night. First cruise with just my lovely wife and I with no kids. This will be our first time dining in the steak house as well. My question is about tipping. Do most of you leave cash on the table? That is what i'm planning on. Interested in what other do.

Thanks,

Scott

Yes we did tip extra, one time I handed it to them and the other I left it in the folder, they scan your S&S card just like any other purchase, be advised we have had more than one server waiting on our table. They were kind of a team.