Boarding hand luggage

PurpleMoonlight

Hi all.

Is there any limit to what you can carry on board yourself?

Ta.

No limit that I am aware of, bear in mind though that it would have to be small enough to fit through the security scanner.

Same for disembarking, we sometimes dont bother putting our cases out and carry them off with no problem at all.

No limit that I am aware of, bear in mind though that it would have to be small enough to fit through the security scanner.

Ah, yes, never thought of that.

We are asked to carry on suit carriers and they have a large footprint when laid down so what I want to carry should be okay.

Edited by PurpleMoonlight

I guess my question would be .... and how big are the security scanners?

I have what I call a air-hostess or cabin luggage in which I keep my electricals; laptop, iPad, Kindle etc. etc. Or in other words, anything I don't want thrown about by a crazed baboon (or baggage handlers as they like to be known).

Would this fit through the scanner?

Jonjo

I guess my question would be .... and how big are the security scanners?

I have what I call a air-hostess or cabin luggage in which I keep my electricals; laptop, iPad, Kindle etc. etc. Or in other words, anything I don't want thrown about by a crazed baboon (or baggage handlers as they like to be known).

Would this fit through the scanner?

Jonjo

Assuming that it's standard IATA size, then it will fit, no problem.

BTW - your comparison of baggage handlers and crazed baboons might be offensive…

… to a crazed baboon!

Edited by lake5298

We stay overnight in Southampton never open our main luggage but use two airline type carry on cases on wheels, get to the terminal and the porter takes the main luggage and the carry on we just place on the conveyor and pick up up once it's gone through the X-ray, never had a problem. Best is no weight limit if you can carry it it's ok

Interesting about suit carriers. OH has a leather one. We have put that through the hole in the wall a couple of times and it has always arrived safe and sound. Should add it only ever has suits/jackets in there..not shoes etc, and it is leather, so fairly robust.

I will be wheeling on a small case this time..the other 15 will be going through the hole in the wall!!!! (only joking with the number, until I have to start packing)

Pardon my ignorance, what is this 'Hole in the Wall' you are all referring to? Is it at Southampton?

All luggage (except for carry-on) is put through a hole in the terminal wall to be placed on the conveyor for scanning before being loaded into wire cages and taken to the other conveyor belt onto the ship. Usually the porters do it but if you arrive very early you can put it there yourself. Yes it is Southampton but I guess most terminals have them.

Edited by Host Sharon

Hi all.

Is there any limit to what you can carry on board yourself?

Ta.

It depends on what you mean by "limit":

Size - It has to fit through a scanner that is about the same size as the scanners you will find in an airport.

Weight - This is basically limited by flying restrictions (if you fly) or your own strength if you are not flying.

Number - This is basically limited by airline limits if you are flying. Otherwise it is limited by how many you can handle yourself.

Color - This is basically limited by good taste.

Here is what I brought on my last cruise ...

Toomuchluggage_zps1986dd23.jpg

I always carry on a small rucksack because it's easy to tote around and I can fit what I need for the night before in it along with my electrical stuff. I was a bit worried about the 20 kg limit last time because I couldn't get my case under 23 kg no matter how I tried. The porters just lifted it up anyway and put it on the conveyer. I don't think they actually weigh them so unless it's way over 20 kg it is probably OK.

It's ok - I am only going for a two nighter this time, so will wheel mine on. My comment was made as a jokey response to to jonjo's joke.... Sorry to mislead anyone.

Our luggage always gets taken away by porters at Southampton and I had never heard of the 'Hole in the Wall'.