Eurostar London to Paris questions

queenL

Another question. Eurostar offered the option of printing my own tickets or getting them at the station. Is one way better than the other? I'm inclined to wait until I get there but then I thought maybe there are really long lines or fees if you pick them up at the station.

Queenl - have they told you that you can collect the tickets from a ticket machine at any station? I was able to do this by inserting the credit/debit card by which I paid for the tickets and then keying in the Booking Ref number. Hey presto!

And this was on any of the ticket machines on any of the railway stations, so you could easily do this before the day. There should certainly be no charge - and if there is a queue, it goes down fast. In your shoes, I would choose a relatively quiet time on the stations so you do not feel harrassed.

If like trawleroh (but not the OP) one is starting from Southampton then don't exclude the possibility of flying from Southampton.

Flybe have a flight which departs around 7am and arrives at Orly around 9.30 local with a return departing Orly at 9pm arriving back in Southampton around 21.30.

Fares vary considerably and you will need to either pick your day or monitor the website for prices, but I just tried a dummy booking for 15th October and it was around £150 return.

You can't use the tramway to get the central Paris, as Flybe use Orly Oeust and the tramway station is at Orly Sud, but most people use Orlybus which takes around 30mins to get to Denfert-Rochereau (near to Gare Montparnasse)and costs €7.50.

The best metro station for the Tour Eiffel is Bir-Hakeim and there is a direct service from Denfert-Rochereau on line 6 of the metro and I would estimate that you could easily be at the base of the tower by 11am (all of course subject to the plane being on time!!)

We have decided on the Flybe/Air France option vs. the Eurostar in getting from Paris to Southampton. Pricing is less as is time spent traveling. Logistics are far better, especially since we'll be booking a direct hotel-ORY transfer for our group of 6-8!

Queenl - have they told you that you can collect the tickets from a ticket machine at any station? I was able to do this by inserting the credit/debit card by which I paid for the tickets and then keying in the Booking Ref number. Hey presto!

And this was on any of the ticket machines on any of the railway stations, so you could easily do this before the day. There should certainly be no charge - and if there is a queue, it goes down fast. In your shoes, I would choose a relatively quiet time on the stations so you do not feel harrassed.

Do the UK ticket machines require a chip/pin credit card? We are still behind the 8-ball in the US in terms of this type of card. We've run into major issues on the continent at train stations, gas stations and toll roads in that our US-issued swipe/sign cards were unusable in these places.

We have decided on the Flybe/Air France option vs. the Eurostar in getting from Paris to Southampton. Pricing is less as is time spent traveling. Logistics are far better, especially since we'll be booking a direct hotel-ORY transfer for our group of 6-8!

Do the UK ticket machines require a chip/pin credit card? We are still behind the 8-ball in the US in terms of this type of card. We've run into major issues on the continent at train stations, gas stations and toll roads in that our US-issued swipe/sign cards were unusable in these places.

Most if not all require a chip and pin in my experience.

We've run into major issues on the continent at train stations, gas stations and toll roads in that our US-issued swipe/sign cards were unusable in these places.

We have the same problem on your side of the "pond" when although we still have swipe strips on the cards, the identity security procedure at your gas stations involves a requirement to enter the ZIP Code of the billing address.

The bottom line is that I'm pretty sure that the identity confirmation procedure you have to go through to get your tickets involves inserting the same card in you used to order the ticket and confirming your identity by entering the PIN number. Certainly, as you have already discovered, that procedure does seem to be the norm elsewhere in Europe.

Eurostar offered the option of printing my own tickets or getting them at the station. Is one way better than the other? I'm inclined to wait until I get there but then I thought maybe there are really long lines or fees if you pick them up at the station.
I'd get them at the station. No queues, IME, because there are lots of machines that are generally underused; and IME you do not need the credit card because booking reference and passengers name are enough. And this way, you get tickets of a manageable size, instead of a flappy and cumbersome piece of A4.

We have the same problem on your side of the "pond" when although we still have swipe strips on the cards, the identity security procedure at your gas stations involves a requirement to enter the ZIP Code of the billing address.
Two techniques to try:-
  1. Enter 00000.
  2. If that doesn't work, enter the digits of your billing postcode, and then add more zeroes up to a total of five digits. (For example, if your postcode is SE1 7PB, enter 17000.)

How would I know for certain if my card has this? Will ATM's and stores require this too?

How would I know for certain if my card has this? Will ATM's and stores require this too?

Does your card have a chip obvious in it and do you use a 4 digit pin? This is how we buy everything nowadays (unless use contact less which is a whole different story) although most shops will still swipe if needed it doesn't happen very often but shouldn't be an issue.

Example of chip and pin cards can be found if Google for some reason I can't post the link I found.

1. Enter 00000.
  2. If that doesn't work, enter the digits of your billing postcode, and then add more zeroes up to a total of five digits. (For example, if your postcode is SE1 7PB, enter 17000.)

Very many thanks for that information. Even if I don't need to fill up out of hours, I will try that as an experiment in December.

Actually your advice is probably even better than you imagined as it reminds me that, although my French bank account is tied to my UK address, French addresses have a five digit 'postcode' and I will be taking it with me on my next cruise as my French bank has branches in both St Barthelemy and Martinique. So, I could also try the debit card on that account and use the five digit address code of my bank's address. Having said that, I think I will simply store that idea in my memory rather than conduct a test transaction as the currency exchange from $US to € would involve a commission simply to access funds I have already paid once to transfer from the UK.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

If your card were chip n pin, you'd know.

I've not come across a zipcode or postcode requirement in Europe, but if there is it needs to be the same code as the account-holder's address - the bank's code is only any good if the account-holder's address is the bank.

We had the same zipcode problem as Corfie in some US gas stations - after driving off from a couple of them, we then checked out with the cashier at the next. No worries, except for unmanned times or places. A few pumps did recognise it was a chip n pin card, and required the pin number, same as in Europe.

(Did make us realise how vulnerable non-chip cards are if lost or stolen, most gas stations we just inserted the card and filled up. Zip-code requirement is a fairly poor substitute if the card is stolen along with a wallet-full of stuff that has the owner's zip code.)

You're likely to find the same sort of problem in the UK without a chip n pin card. Automated machines such as ticket machines are likely to be problematic, but where there are staff you'll generally be Ok.

The exception is ATMs - from what I've seen and heard they work fine with cards which aren't chip n pin.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

How would I know for certain if my card has this?

If you have to ask, you don't have it. :)

More seriously, the U.S. is well behind the eight ball here in not having chip and pin credit cards (which are more secure than magnetic strip cards). As an American traveling overseas, I first encountered the problem nine years ago in Paris, when I tried to print out reserved train tickets at a ticketing machine by inserting the credit card I'd used to purchase them. Long story short -- I didn't have a chip and pin card, and in fact had never heard of such things back then. Now it's nearly a decade later and it's still hard to find an issuer of such cards in the U.S.

While you can still get around in Europe without such a card when you are dealing with "live" merchants who can swipe your magnetic strip card, it can be a problem when dealing with gas pumps, train ticketing machines, and similar unmanned devices.

There's a whole thread discussing chip and pin cards here on CC at this link, along with info as to where you can get such a card:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2028909&highlight=chip+and+pin

• 2 months later...
We have the same problem on your side of the "pond" when although we still have swipe strips on the cards, the identity security procedure at your gas stations involves a requirement to enter the ZIP Code of the billing address..

1. Enter 00000.

Tried it today and sadly neither of your ideas worked, but thanks for the suggestions

So, it would appear that non-US/Canada citizens still can't get fuel from a gas station out of hours when in the US. Not likely to get better either, as the US are going for 'chip and signature' which, whilst it makes the cloning of cards more difficult, doesn't improve the protection against misuse of stolen cards.

Read a very interesting justification by a US 'security expert' that the US solution is better because the result of chip and pin in the rest of the world has been to make criminals more sophisticated and cause them to adopt cleverer methods of fraud which is more detrimental to long term crime prevention than continuing with a signature based system.

In truth the real reason they have gone for chip and signature is reported elsewhere as being due to problems with the cost of getting retailers to upgrade their POS card reading equipment.

OK off topic, but it is relevant to and closes down an important side issue which came up in the thread.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Tried it today and sadly neither of your ideas worked, but thanks for the suggestions

So, it would appear that non-US/Canada citizens still can't get fuel from a gas station out of hours when in the US.

So sorry you've had this problem. Not all U.S. gas station pumps require a zip code (in fact, in my experience, many don't), so you may be okay at another station. (Shell stations do seem to require a zip code.)

But I agree, bottom line is that it would be great if the U.S. were using the same technology as everyone else.

Enjoy your trip!

So sorry you've had this problem. Not all U.S. gas station pumps require a zip code (in fact, in my experience, many don't), so you may be okay at another station. (Shell stations do seem to require a zip code.)

But I agree, bottom line is that it would be great if the U.S. were using the same technology as everyone else.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for your good wishes for our trip but no need to apologise for our 'problem'.

It is just one of the many differences which will always exist between countries and I was simply sharing information, albeit in the wrong place, which others might find useful.

In truth, it is only a real problem if you are unaware of the difference and allow yourself to get low on gas, or in your case, book a rail ticket on line and hope to pick it up at an automatic ticket machine in the UK and/or Europe using a 'magnetic stripe' or 'chip and signature' card.

[quote name='Bob++']I had a look at the Eurostar site and you do get a reduced rate for children. I suggest that you book now, as the more popular trains are selling out fast - even as far ahead as November, and you are restricted as to dates.

The website suggest that you need 45 mins to check in rather than the 30 I quoted and you will need passports for you and the girls.[/QUOTE]

My husband and I took the Eurostar Paris to London -- and I believe I've read the passport check procedure is somewhat different in the other direction -- but we arrived one hour early and were glad we did. At both of the checkpoints in Paris, we were caught behind people with immigration problems that chewed up an inordinate amount of time. In fact, at some point in each of the situations, the official sitting in the booth bounced the problem to supervisors away from the line. My husband and I breezed through the two official check points yet the two problem travelers were still dealing with their situations.

Although we were in no danger of missing the train, boarding was well under way when we finally got to the train. Happily, we still found a place for our 24" suitcases. Aside from the difference in direction, the OP won't have luggage to deal with. However, anyone is reading this thread who will be making the trip with luggage might want to keep our experience in mind when planning your arrival.