Ecstasy tragedy this morning

pamrose228

Here is the article that ran on our local news about this kid since he attended Clemson which is in the upstate where I live.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/clemson-releases-statement-about-another-student-death/28331012?request-from-editor=true&showAds=0&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wyff%2Bnews%2B4

No alcohol, just 5 college guys imitating others (who got lucky). Who knew the radar would turn on going into port:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Sad outcome. :(

No alcohol, just 5 college guys imitating others (who got lucky). Who knew the radar would turn on going into port:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Sad outcome. :(

Sorry, don't buy it. The radar would have been on the entire time the ship was at sea, not just for coming into port. Also, the motor that turns the antenna is about 1 hp or less, and there are plastic gears in the gearbox.

Sorry, don't buy it. The radar would have been on the entire time the ship was at sea, not just for coming into port. Also, the motor that turns the antenna is about 1 hp or less, and there are plastic gears in the gearbox.

So are you saying they are lying about what happened?

EXACTLY!! 20 is not a MAN, unless you grew up hard and fast. In our sheltered kids' lives, 20 is a boy. I have a 30 year old who acted like he was 12 on our last cruise. My husband wanted to send him off on his own cruise rather than sail with us. I would NEVER allow that- he is lucky he's here with his actions and need for fun, without alcohol. I've already lost one son, so I won't lose another, God willing.

My heart goes out to the parents and the loss of a life yet to be lived.

How can you not allow a 30 year old to do anything? Is that a typo?

Obviously you've never watched WipeOut!;) But I would agree that the radar would have been on the whole time. And the others were laying down, so they say.

He was a 20 year old - an adult.

Legally an adult, but kids brains are not fully mature until 25.

http://www.academic.marist.edu/mwwatch/fall05/science1.htm

Here is an article that explains more fully what happened. No alcohol involved and he was not the only one up there. Thankfully, there were not more kids injured or killed.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/30/clemson-student-death/16482671/

Edited by DebJ14

EXACTLY!! 20 is not a MAN, unless you grew up hard and fast. In our sheltered kids' lives, 20 is a boy. I have a 30 year old who acted like he was 12 on our last cruise. My husband wanted to send him off on his own cruise rather than sail with us. I would NEVER allow that- he is lucky he's here with his actions and need for fun, without alcohol. I've already lost one son, so I won't lose another, God willing.

My heart goes out to the parents and the loss of a life yet to be lived.

Yes, a 20 year old is a man. So is an 18 year old - old enough to get drafted into the military - it will make a man out of them fast. I know some senior citizens that act like a little kid, but they are still an adult. And lazygal, I am sorry for your loss as well. I've got 2 adult children of my own and losing a child is never an easy thing to accept. My mother has out lived 2 of her children and it hasn't been an easy thing to accept. Yes, god willing.

I may be a bit confused, but the account of the accident given by the head of the group, Mr. Acorn, makes no sense to me. He claims that several boys went into a restricted area and climbed the forward mast so they could see the sunrise over Miami, and the deceased was hit when part of the radar started spinning.

But the mast is at the front of the ship, and from a photo, the platform around the radar faces forward, and the mast is quite wide. Wouldn't the sunrise have been behind the ship, and therefore, mostly blocked by the mast? Also, aren't the radars always on when the ship is underway, so the spinning part would have been in motion?

I'm very sorry for the loss of this young man. His family and friends must feel awful.

Yes, a 20 year old is a man. So is an 18 year old - old enough to get drafted into the military - it will make a man out of them fast. I know some senior citizens that act like a little kid, but they are still an adult. And lazygal, I am sorry for your loss as well. I've got 2 adult children of my own and losing a child is never an easy thing to accept. My mother has out lived 2 of her children and it hasn't been an easy thing to accept. Yes, god willing.

I guess as soon as the biochemical pathways in the body start paying attention to the legal definition of what age one becomes an adult issues like the one in question will no longer exist.

A friend of mine face planted in an elevator on the Imagination recently because some "kind" guest spilled a Mojito but did not bother to tell anyone. She feel on the glass as well. She has a hurt wrist, bruises all over her elbows and knees, as well as a hurt shoulder. Unfortunately, we are hearing these kinds of incidents all too often these days!!! :eek:

We all know accidents happen, however so often it is the fault of someone elses stupidity. If carnival had one crew member to every passenger we'd be covered, so until then we should all be resposible for things that happen especially if it can hurt someone else.

At what age should we stop giving them fish and teach them to fish on their own? At some point our children must accept responsibility for their own lives.

Obviously, this was a tragic event. However, let's not forget it happened because some young men decided the rules did not apply to them Why did they reach that conclusion?

Edited by travler27

My question concerns ship security. Please do not slam me. I have never sailed on a Carnival ship so, the question is more from an educational standpoint. On the three different NCL ships I have been on, there are cameras EVERYWHERE. In conversations I have had with various crew members, not much gets missed these days. I just don't understand how someone could have gotten up to the mast without someone in security seeing it.

My heart goes out to the family. I am the mother of twin 21 year olds and, I can attest to the fact that they both still think of themselves as invincible.

Hi Chief, and you are right , there would be at least 1 unit up and running all the time when underway, I port or at sea, but they may have changed to a different unit or changed antennas.

It has been awhile since I was at sea, but the radars always had warnings to stay off the masts and away from the antennas when operating. Not only for the motion issues of the antennas but also health dangers the radars emit.

There was sign placed over the Rader, indicating not t turn it on, *men aloft*.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

My question concerns ship security. Please do not slam me. I have never sailed on a Carnival ship so, the question is more from an educational standpoint. On the three different NCL ships I have been on, there are cameras EVERYWHERE. In conversations I have had with various crew members, not much gets missed these days. I just don't understand how someone could have gotten up to the mast without someone in security seeing it.

My heart goes out to the family. I am the mother of twin 21 year olds and, I can attest to the fact that they both still think of themselves as invincible.

While there are hundreds of cameras onboard these ships, they cannot see everything. Also, the area around the forward mast will not be lit at night, so unless they are low light (not all onboard are), they won't show much. I believe that NCL has more cameras than other lines as well.

There are cameras everywhere, true. They were in an area not for the public. It was dark and the ship coming into port. All crew members were shifting from their normal routine in preparation for docking and already readying to disembark the passengers and get the new loads on board etc.

I'm sure NCL or any other line would be doing the same thing.

You can do everything in your power to raise your kid(s) responsibly, and it can still all be undone in 5 minutes of very bad decision making on that kid's part. Especially in a group setting where there a bunch of other people making the same dumb decision. Most people survive their dumb decisions; this young man paid with his life.

My condolences to his family. It was a very bad decision on his part, and nobody's fault but his own, but they will suffer forever.

There are cameras everywhere, true. They were in an area not for the public. It was dark and the ship coming into port. All crew members were shifting from their normal routine in preparation for docking and already readying to disembark the passengers and get the new loads on board etc.

I'm sure NCL or any other line would be doing the same thing.

At least at NCL, there were more cameras in the crew areas than in guest areas. They are really more for monitoring crew than guests.