Walkie Talkies

Fishymom

As for the many who said my "who cares if others don't like it" makes me a horrible person :rolleyes: You guessed it, who cares?

It is a vacation. I certainly wouldn't purposefully cause someone to be bothered, but at the same time if I need to keep up with my family member with the occasional walkie talkie I will do it without a second thought. I wouldn't do it in the middle of a show mind you. However, if I am walking down the Promenade, on the Lido, ect, and my 13 year old wants me to know she is leaving Circle C to go play minigolf... I want to know.

That being said... No one seems to care if I like it when they are cursing like sailors around my children, get so drunk they puke in the elevator, blow smoke in my face as we are walking past them..

The point of my first post was its A vacation, they can get over their "OMG I can't believe that person used a walkie talkie around me...how annoying is that." Its not like people hold hour long walkie talkie conversations...they last for the most part just a couple of seconds...how bad could that really be?

Edited by valandemmy

As far as "other passengers who don't like to hear it", :rolleyes: Who cares if they don't like it really.

Tell us a few things that really annoy you so that we can do it in your face for the whole cruise. Who cares if it bothers you.

DON

That being said... No one seems to care if I like it when they are cursing like sailors around my children, get so drunk they puke in the elevator, blow smoke in my face as we are walking past them..

Sounds like you need to consider switching to a cruise line where those behaviors (plus a whole bunch of other obnoxious things like chair hogs, incessant PA announcements, inappropriate dress in dining venues, PITA photographers, smuggling alcohol, nickel/diming passengers for every little thing, AND walkie-talkies) are far less problematic or even non-existent. They do exist!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the feedback

We have family in other cabins and also our oldest has hit that age where he can check himself out of camp if needed/ instructed to- but still makes us nervous when we aren't right there with them, Kwim?

I can sure understand your concerns. That is the age that i would feel more comfortable and safe if I could contact my child when I felt I needed to. So, if you will feel more comfortable with walkie-talkies, I would bring them to use.

Some passengers may not like the noise, but I really don't think you will encounter problems with that too much. I saw some folks using walkie-talkies, and I didn't think a thing was wrong with that and it didn't annoy me in the slightest. Just do what you think is best for "YOU" and your particular situation.

It's not like kids, who would be running around with their friends or siblings playing and talking on their walkie-talkies constantly, which would be annoying to others.

If you are just using your walkie-talkies to check in with your child throughout the day, I say go for it.

As for the many who said my "who cares if others don't like it" makes me a horrible person :rolleyes: You guessed it, who cares?

It is a vacation. I certainly wouldn't purposefully cause someone to be bothered, but at the same time if I need to keep up with my family member with the occasional walkie talkie I will do it without a second thought. I wouldn't do it in the middle of a show mind you. However, if I am walking down the Promenade, on the Lido, ect, and my 13 year old wants me to know she is leaving Circle C to go play minigolf... I want to know.

The point of my first post was its A vacation, they can get over their "OMG I can't believe that person used a walkie talkie around me...how annoying is that." Its not like people hold hour long walkie talkie conversations...they last for the most part just a couple of seconds...how bad could that really be?

This is a pantload.

Thank you for the feedback

We have family in other cabins and also our oldest has hit that age where he can check himself out of camp if needed/ instructed to- but still makes us nervous when we aren't right there with them, Kwim?

I can sure understand your concerns. That is the age that i would feel more comfortable and safe if I could contact my child when I felt I needed to. So, if you will feel more comfortable with walkie-talkies, I would bring them to use.

Some passengers may not like the noise, but I really don't think you will encounter problems with that too much. I saw some folks using walkie-talkies, and I didn't think a thing was wrong with that and it didn't annoy me in the slightest. Just do what you think is best for "YOU" and your particular situation.

It's not like kids, who would be running around with their friends or siblings playing and talking on their walkie-talkies constantly, which would be annoying to others.

If you are just using your walkie-talkies to check in with your child throughout the day, I say go for it.

And how many 13-year olds (or younger) want to be keeping track of a walkie-talkie? Just tell the child to go directly to the cabin after leaving the kids' program and leave a note as to where he's heading next....or else, lose the right to sign oneself out.

As far as "other passengers who don't like to hear it", :rolleyes: Who cares if they don't like it really.

The cruiser from hell is a CruiseCritic member?!?! I guess this shows that anybody can join. :rolleyes:

I checked your cruising history. Seems as if you have only cruised on Carnival ships. You complain about cursing, drunks, and smokers. Yet you chose the cruise line that is most likely to have an abundant amount of these people on their cruises.

Based on you cruise line of choice, it's no wonder you could care less about anybody else.

What I find particularly amusing is that the Carnival defenders adamantly deny there is such behavior on Carnival ships, yet here you are, a Carnival only cruiser, using such behavior to defend your "I could care less" attitude about using walkie-talkies.

Thanks for proving the point many of us make about why we won't cruise on Carnival - people like those cursing, the drunks, the smokers, and of course, people like you and your attitude. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

That being said... No one seems to care if I like it when they are cursing like sailors around my children, get so drunk they puke in the elevator, blow smoke in my face as we are walking past them.

So, you actually like these things?:confused::D

So happy you are staying with Carnival. Probably the best cruise line for you and your family!:rolleyes:

Tell us a few things that really annoy you so that we can do it in your face for the whole cruise. Who cares if it bothers you.

DON

Good one, Don.

All I was going to say was: "Just make sure to keep that Cruise Countdown Calendar up to date t-so that we can avoid you!" Then I saw the list of Carnival cruises and figured, "Nevermind -- that won't be a problem!"

Edited by ithaca gal
typo

Sounds like you need to consider switching to a cruise line where those behaviors (plus a whole bunch of other obnoxious things like chair hogs, incessant PA announcements, inappropriate dress in dining venues, PITA photographers, smuggling alcohol, nickel/diming passengers for every little thing, AND walkie-talkies) are far less problematic or even non-existent. They do exist!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can understand someone cussing in your face. If the walkie talkie was constantly in action

Someone was using one near me by the pool once. They left it on their chair when they went in the water and some how it wound up in a glass of iced tea.

That was quite thoughtful of someone. Wouldn't want the electronics inside to overheat and cause a fire. :D

I bought two sets of walkie talkies for the Liberty Of The Seas. I got ones that were supposed to be good for 26 miles. Yea, right! From the top deck of the ship, I tried to call a family member who was on shore at Cozumel, only 1 or 2 miles from the ship, with line of sight and no obstructions. We couldn't hear each other and we had two sets (4) walkie talkies. They also would not work for half the length of the ship, or through several decks. We did find, however, that we never needed them, anyway. The post it notes are a great idea, but I don't think we really would have needed them, either. We did agree ahead of time of what time to meet for dinner. But aside from that, it was pretty easy to find the other parties. We learned quickly where the different people hung out. Keep in mind that up until about 7 or 8 years ago, the Liberty Of The Seas, and her identical sister ships, were, at the time, the largest or second largest cruise ships in the world. But we could still find our parties pretty easily!

I bought two sets of walkie talkies for the Liberty Of The Seas. I got ones that were supposed to be good for 26 miles. Yea, right! From the top deck of the ship, I tried to call a family member who was on shore at Cozumel, only 1 or 2 miles from the ship, with line of sight and no obstructions. We couldn't hear each other and we had two sets (4) walkie talkies. They also would not work for half the length of the ship, or through several decks. We did find, however, that we never needed them, anyway. The post it notes are a great idea, but I don't think we really would have needed them, either. We did agree ahead of time of what time to meet for dinner. But aside from that, it was pretty easy to find the other parties. We learned quickly where the different people hung out. Keep in mind that up until about 7 or 8 years ago, the Liberty Of The Seas, and her identical sister ships, were, at the time, the largest or second largest cruise ships in the world. But we could still find our parties pretty easily!